homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Creative nativity scenes

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Creative nativity scenes
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't find a nativity thread, but having just spotted the Henry hoover nativity, I wondered whether anyone else has come across creative variations on the theme (I guess it's a good time for someone to introduce the caganer... no, you can fond a link)? I'm sure the Phelps family would cheerfully picket the electrical retailer concerned, but WWED?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you mean things like the Coke can nativity?

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/bb16_rpiuaa9iwd.jpg

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In preschool my daughter made a nativity scene entirely out of the cardboard rolls from toilet tissue and paper towels. Luckily she did not insist that we keep it forever.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Do you mean things like the Coke can nativity?

Yep, that fits! Made me laugh out loud.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one had help from the children, I believe.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one.

And this one
- an architectural nativity.

mr curly

[ 10. December 2014, 21:55: Message edited by: Mr Curly ]

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago whn there was a proper toy shop in Newport I remember a young child buying scale figures for a nativity scene. He bought a few adults (including a couple of shepherds and a milkmaid hefting a pail) plus sheep, a bull and a cow, goats, hens and two pigs.

Not sure about the latter, but I'm sure it made a talking point.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Worst Nativity Scenes
What can I say? Laugh hearty, and then Go And Sin No More.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite a nativity set, but creative all the same:

Beach Hut Advent Calendar

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this one http://lolsnaps.com/funny/42632
Holy Trinity, Batman!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
I like this one http://lolsnaps.com/funny/42632
Holy Trinity, Batman!

We have had that one...
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Here's one.

game tangent: can you guess which one of those nativities I actually own?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
Not quite a nativity set, but creative all the same:

Beach Hut Advent Calendar

That is thoroughly brilliant. Planning a garage advent calendar for next year already.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That is thoroughly brilliant. Planning a garage advent calendar for next year already.

That reminded me of my son's attempt at making a gingerbread house at evening run by church. His turned out to be an outside dunny with Santa on the throne. And red back on the seat. [Razz]

[ 13. December 2014, 01:02: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're doing Advent Windows in my town - see my sig.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the churches in our area held a Nativity Festival, where each group made their own nativity scene out of whatever materials they had to hand, the results were dotted all around the church for us to marvel at. My favourite was made by the table tennis club - with Mary and Joseph at either end of the table, supporting TT bats. Baby Jesus was in the centre of the table, with a manger made out of the net folded into a V shape!

This is the picture sent to me by my niece, of a Colombian nativity scene, made inside a hollowed out egg.

[ 17. December 2014, 20:38: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
This is the picture sent to me by my niece, of a Colombian nativity scene, made inside a hollowed out egg.

I remember sugar molded eggshell nativities in the '70s. I don't remember if it was any particular ethnic thing or just a '70s trend. It's a really vague memory only just now called to mind by your post!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have made our advent calendar this year entirely from the grandson's lego/chima/nanjago sets. Each day he gets to open a door and we are slowly telling the nativity story using each character revealed. You probably wouldn't recognise the winged creature we used as the archangel, but fortunately our grandson has a wonderful imagination and gets it entirely.

So the nativity is set on a different planet, this year... [Razz]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My (tasteful, fair trade shop bought) nativity set has seen a new lease of life this year, as the ferijenet gets old enough to play.

Apparently baby Jesus needed to escape from the dinosaur (wants to crunch crunch baby Jesus mummy) by squeezing into the back of a car (but sshhh mummy, baby Jesus is sleeping!).

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
We have made our advent calendar this year entirely from the grandson's lego ...

I first read that as "made ... entirely from the grandson's legs" ... [Eek!]

[ 22. December 2014, 03:36: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Oooh, here's another one!

Just down the road, too...

AG

--------------------

kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

- Posted      Profile for kaytee   Email kaytee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not enough of a geek to recognise all the characters in these

--------------------
'Lying is a vital survival skill – and a terrible habit.' ~ The Doctor

Posts: 152 | From: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First Dog's effort
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
The Worst Nativity Scenes
What can I say? Laugh hearty, and then Go And Sin No More.

Someone gave me the rubber duckie nativity scene a few years back. Setting it out all the decorating I do for Christmas.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little old lady at church knitted a most unusual and beautiful complete nativity set which we have set up in pride of place. Pity I don't have a photo. I have begged her for the patterns, but she is holding them close to her heart.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll spare the H/As having to look--but if you web search for "zombie nativity ohio", you'll find the outdoor scene that is causing a fuss. Depending on your sense of humor, can be very...disturbing.

Corn husk nativity scenes can be lovely.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had to share this:

Am watching the "Chef's Life Holiday Special" on our PBS station. They were visiting a family (with small kids) that was playing with the nativity scene, and Grandma was talking to the kids about it. Then:

"Did you put something in your pocket?"

Boy: "I put Baby Jesus in my pocket. He don't fit there."

LOL.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a nativity cookie cutter set. One year we made several sets and Mrs. Eluia took one set to her work. The office manager, who is Roman Catholic, was tempted to take the baby Jesus cookie but said she couldn't bring herself to "eat Jesus." My reaction on hearing that was, don't you do that every Sunday?

The cookie cutter for Joseph, BTW, is also used for the shepherds. You just decorate them differently. I wish I had a picture of a full set; I took one long ago but it may be lost.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mexican Radish Nativity.

Apparently, in Oaxaca, December 25th is the Night of the Radishes. The best carvings are displayed in the main square.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I alone in finding those radishes a bit creepy, in the same way that a clown is creepy?

Have the words "radishes" and "creepy" ever appeared in the same sentence before?

[Paranoid]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very creepy -- and they look more like Day of the Dead than a Nativity.
[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - how about this or this instead.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Yes - how about this or this instead.

Much better!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

I remember sugar molded eggshell nativities in the '70s. I don't remember if it was any particular ethnic thing or just a '70s trend. It's a really vague memory only just now called to mind by your post!
When I was a wee child attending Catholic grade school, back in the early 70's, we made Christmas decorations with whatever the nuns gave us or told us to bring from home. Thus, on our Christmas tree, my parents hung my and my sisters good Catholic ornaments: A plastic baby Jesus glued to the inside of an empty tuna-fish can covered with sparkly glue and glitter and with a hole punched in the back of the can so the infant Jesus could gaze out of the inside and see our festive tree with lights and a bunch of other baby Jesus figurines..."Hey! I'm part of a Trinity, NOT a sextuplet!". Dear God...baby Jesus in a tuna can...
[Killing me]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Had to get this in. Anyone for a year-long, chocolate Advent calendar?
[Cool]

--------------------

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belatedly remembered (when I couldn't post) - apparently this construction in a German parish church in 2013 contained over a 1000 figures of a (nationally) popular toy set lent by about 40 local families.
And several conifers...

[ 08. January 2015, 22:22: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016