homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Films that should be listed as Great (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Films that should be listed as Great
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Groundhog day continues to grow on me. A friend said it was a gender disparate film. Men like it, Women don't.

It's one of my favourite films. The unspoken premise behind it's always intrigued me - who or what is forcing Phil to relive the same day over and over again? Also, eventually he does succeed in moving on into the next day, but only when he becomes a genuinely nicer person and has had time to slow down and develop some impressive skills, instead of someone coolly and determinedly trying a whole bunch of different tactics just to get off with Rita.

It's quite a moral sort of story but in a modern setting, amusing but also food for thought at the same time.

I'm female and I love Groundhog Day, it's one of my top ten favourites. It's deeply moral, it's about redemption.
Me too (as above). Furthermore, I don't think I've ever met a woman who didn't like it - not that it crops up in every conversation I have - whereas I have met blokes who don't rate it.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, The Way to the Stars goes on the list - for Johnny.

Maybe also John Gregson in Angels one Five. Tunes of Glory is another one where you can see Alec Guinness acting everyone else off the screen.

2 David Niven films at least near greatness - The Paper Tiger, and Carrington VC.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're considering Groundhog Day, then I must nominate Caddy Shack (both movies have Bill Murray and a ground hog). The bishop golfing in the rain scene. Bill Murray golfing flowers while doing faux commentary. The anecdote about caddying for the Dalai Lama.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The actor who played Ned the insurance guy described Groundhog Day as a Buddhist parable. I like it because it thoroughly explores the possibilities of what you might do in the circumstances. Usually such premises leave me feeling as though many solutions were unexplored. If you believe in re-incarnation it could be seen as a parable for life.

The same friend who mentioned the gender disparity also told me that Laurence of Arabia was vastly preferred by gay men. It's a film I love for the scenery, the photography, the score and the acting. The politics do leave me queasy. It's not an obscure film.

Besides Up! and The Incredibles. I also am fond of Ratatouille in the Pixar work.

I'm not a huge fan of westerns, but a few stand out. The man who shot Liberty Valance, The Ballad of Cable Hogue.

My favorite Hitchcock is North by Northwest.

From Japan, A Taxing Woman, Tampopo and "The Seven Samurai. My Neighbor Totoro is perfect in its own way.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
If you're considering Groundhog Day, then I must nominate Caddy Shack (both movies have Bill Murray and a ground hog). The bishop golfing in the rain scene. Bill Murray golfing flowers while doing faux commentary. The anecdote about caddying for the Dalai Lama.

The rodent in Caddyshack is a gopher, not a groundhog. Just sayin'....

Seriously, I think Caddyshack is a funny movie but it doesn't have the depth that Groundhog Day has.

quote:
The same friend who mentioned the gender disparity also told me that Laurence of Arabia was vastly preferred by gay men. It's a film I love for the scenery, the photography, the score and the acting. The politics do leave me queasy. It's not an obscure film.

At the risk of sounding snarky, I'm beginning to question your friend's judgement. Laurence of Arabia routinely gets included on lists bests movies ever made. While it has something for everybody, I do sometimes see it recommended as a guy's movie (because of its themes of valor, lost causes, camaraderie, etc. and the battle scenes) but I haven't seen a vast preference for it by gay men. I use to sell DVDs for a living so I'd have a good idea if it were so.

I second the nomination for I Know Where I'm Going!, a terrific movie that deserves to be widely seen. I love Wendy Hiller's acting in this. She begins the movie as such a self-assured, confident young woman and then once she gets to Scotland things get in the way. There's a great moment during the dance scene where she is listening to Roger Livesey and you can absolutely see her falling apart inside. Roger Livesey is a awesome too. Plus, it's got bagpipes!

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes - The Man who shot Liberty Valance is one of the best westerns ever. Morally very complex, and a deeply ambiguous ending.

Another film that went straight into my top 5 was Infernal Affairs, the Hong Kong film that was later remade by Scorcese as The Departed. The original is far far better, though, and a hundred times more subtle. It explores a Buddhist cosmology, and it beautifully shot, almost balletic at times. Breathtaking.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I nominate Metropolis?
And indeed, Fritz Lang's achievement more widely...

Further, 2001, as recommended on the "not seen" thread - which I will then have to follow up with the shamefaced admission Groundhog Day constitutes one of the more significant gaps in my education...

...and yes, I second Infernal Affairs!

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As films about redemption go, it's hard to beat The Fisher King.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infernal Affairs is quite good. Do avoid the sequels.
I'm not a big fan of Hong Kong bullet ballets, but I have a friend who drags me to them. I do have a fondness for Jackie Chan's "Miracles" a remake of "Pocketful of Miracles".

Moving in the other direction; The Japanese original of "Shall We Dance" was better than the Hollywood remake.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, betjemaniac - I'd forgotten Paper Tiger, and the way David Niven's character inspires the child's courage.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am nominating a film, not necessarily because it is "great" but because I feel it frequently gets a raw deal from "proper" film critics.

It is Support Your Local Sheriff, staring the sadly departed James Garner.

No matter how often I see it, it still makes me laugh. All the cast perform brilliantly, although James Garner probably just wins out over Walter Brennan, with Bruce Dern not far behind.

It doesn't claim to be ground-breaking, or subversive or anything; it is what it is - a fun film.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a big soft spot for Little Miss Sunshine. It's weird and brilliant. Brilliantly weird, perhaps, or weirdly brilliant.

And Shooting Fish. A small film (in a good way) about a couple of con men who live in a gas tower. I loved it in my romantic day-dreamy early 20s. I almost daren't watch it again in case it lets me down.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
quote:

At the risk of sounding snarky, I'm beginning to question your friend's judgement. Laurence of Arabia routinely gets included on lists bests movies ever made. While it has something for everybody, I do sometimes see it recommended as a guy's movie (because of its themes of valor, lost causes, camaraderie, etc. and the battle scenes) but I haven't seen a vast preference for it by gay men. I use to sell DVDs for a living so I'd have a good idea if it were so.
I also like "Lawrence of Arabia". The film takes a few liberties - and of course O'Toole was quite a lot taller than Lawrence - but it's still a good adventure film, and the desert scenery is pretty good. The music does get very repetitive, though.

I may as well add that I've never heard any of my gay friends mention it when discussing films they think are great.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I may as well add that I've never heard any of my gay friends mention it when discussing films they think are great.

Possibly because any homosexuality needs to be read into the movie? Nothing says, overtly, that Lawrence is gay. Even the rape scene is implied.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:

You're gosh-darned right you may! The thing is, if you're into science fiction or German expressionism, Metropolis is going to be on your list of Great movies. Outside those genres, possibly not. And that's often the fate of "genre" movies.

For great genre movies that should be included in great movies, full stop, I'd nominate The Innocents - one of the greatest horror movies of all time.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:

You're gosh-darned right you may! The thing is, if you're into science fiction or German expressionism, Metropolis is going to be on your list of Great movies. Outside those genres, possibly not. And that's often the fate of "genre" movies.

For great genre movies that should be included in great movies, full stop, I'd nominate The Innocents - one of the greatest horror movies of all time.

I'd argue that Metropolis transcends the sci-fi genre, and (more widely) Lang has used a variety of genres and settings in his work. I take your point about the style: expressionism can be a bit of an acquired taste (though spectacularly rewarded once acquired - Cabinet of Dr. Caligari anyone?). I fell for it as a teenager and have never looked back.

I apologize for not being able to comment on your nomination, not having seen it, but will try and seek it out (and check whether I'll be able to cope...).

[ 17. December 2014, 22:37: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd argue that Metropolis transcends the sci-fi genre, and (more widely) Lang has used a variety of genres and settings in his work. I take your point about the style: expressionism can be a bit of an acquired taste (though spectacularly rewarded once acquired - Cabinet of Dr. Caligari anyone?). I fell for it as a teenager and have never looked back.

I apologize for not being able to comment on your nomination, not having seen it, but will try and seek it out (and check whether I'll be able to cope...).

Caligari has to be on the list of great movies. I've been assuming it would already be there - although I suppose with its being a "silent" it tends not to get shown much these days on tv or in cinemas. I think to really appreciate it, you also need to see a good or well-restored print, because the design work is simply awesome. I think there are a couple of copies on a popular video upload site, but I don't know what the quality's like.

The Innocents (1963, I think) is the best movie adaptation of Henry James's The Turn of the Screw, which for my money is one of the first and greatest pieces of psychological horror fiction written.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

I thought it was a mildly amusing film, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again. The underlying message is 'the world revolves around this guy' and I don't find it particularly appealing.

Theoretically I agree with you, but Andie McDowell is one of those actresses that defy a scriptwiter's attempts to render her a character without a POV, so It works for me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hearing John Cleese interviewed on "Fresh Air" yesterday reminded me that A Fish Called Wanda is one of the smartest and funniest comedies ever (take that, Woody Allen), and deserves to be rated much higher than it seems to be.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

Another underappreciated gem is "Dark Star", a student produced science fiction film by John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon. It has a budget of about 75 cents but is quite funny.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excalibur - the only fault is conflating the Sword of the Kings of Britain with Excalibur (in the original legends the latter is given when the former is broken)

The Wicker Man - or perhaps it is listed as Great - who has the list?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
- who has the list?

I do. Just give your nomination and I shall let you know if it is included.

BTW, Excalibur just missed.

[ 19. December 2014, 15:30: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The World's End by Simon Pegg featuring the voice of Bill Nighy is arguably the world's greatest zombie film. It involves five blokes who were schoolboys together making a pub crawl which ends up in a very strange scene, a real special-effects tour de force!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Another underappreciated gem is "Dark Star", a student produced science fiction film by John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon. It has a budget of about 75 cents but is quite funny.

Man! I haven't seen "Dark Star" for years. Woefully underrated film.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So many Bette Davis films - but I'd have to vote for All About Eve.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really like the Nora Ephron comedy Lucky Numbers.

Not sure why, but I just think that some of the scenes are quite well executed. Especially John Travolta's fantasizing about how the insurance scam will turn out, as compared to how it actually goes.

Also, and this is obviously a pretty idiosyncratic taste, but I like films set in cold, wintery climates.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
So many Bette Davis films - but I'd have to vote for All About Eve.

Seconded.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably going to be a controversial one, but I am going to nominate Erin Brokavitch.

First of all, I like a good legal David and Goliath story (see: A Civil Action and Philadelphia). What stands out for me with this one is that, concurrent to the legal stuff, it is the story of an unemployable, un-charming, poverty level, pretty much loser of a woman suddenly finding her niche and becoming vitally necessary to her community.

Aside-- I am finding that now Julia Roberst has moved past the place where people relegate her to cutesy rom com roles, she is becoming an acting phenom. Again I am going to recommend August: Osage County , with the caveat that it is not for the faint of heart. She hit it out of the park.

She also hit it out of the park playing a fictionalized version of Dr. Linda Laubenstein in the HBO movie, The Normal Heart, based on the Larry Kramer play of the same name. Really not for the faint of heart, but Roberts again really shows her chops-- when she is allowed to act beyond that perfect face shot, she really soars.

[ 05. January 2015, 17:28: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
Mike Judge's Office Space . A classic that captures the ridiculousness of American corporate life.

I agree!
We're not alone, it has a huge cult following!

"Did you see the memo?" [Smile]

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

One who has died without seeing Office Space is one who has lived a wasted life.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delicatessen remains my all time favourite, beautifully dark and funny.
Another vote for The Talented Mr Ripley, a gripping film. And I also throw my support behind Metropolis as it was a groundbreaker, truly revolutionary in approach.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's another movie that, while I wouldn't call it "great", I think is very good and deserves to be widely seen. It's I Walked with a Zombie from 1943 directed by Jacques Tourneur. I know, I know, the title is ridiculous and I suppose it isn't all that scary but it's an elegant and poetic movie.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016