homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Earworms - again! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Earworms - again!
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Wodders has already done that one.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Oh noooooooo

Thank yew Kelly [brick wall]

Oh, no, no no, don't thank me when I haven't done nearly enough.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never even watched the show, but the theme from "Dallas" pops into my head fairly frequently.

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
I never even watched the show, but the theme from "Dallas" pops into my head fairly frequently.

Merry Christmas, Angel Wrestler! We have to get together sometime! Although...after I post this, you may wish to murder me...
[Killing me]

For everyone and their earworms, I give you a new and obnoxious earworm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never really watched the show, but the theme song from Gilligan's Island lurks in my head. It's had only two uses for me. It was suggested at a filk sing as the melody to sing the Robert Heinlein song "The Green Hills of Earth"

I've also pointed out to people that they probably know it and it's an example of how we waste neurons lavishly....

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a carol, unidentifiable and not heard this Christmas. It has a syncopated tune and is probably by John Rutter (not the Shepherd's Pipe Carol), but I haven't sung it myself and the choir which did obviously didn't make the words clear.
It's pleasant, for an earworm, but irritating, because I want to be able to join in.

[ 28. December 2014, 14:29: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not the Star Carol, by any chance?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, that's not it - but there are definite similarities. It sounds more dancey than that - which makes me wonder if it's his setting of "Tomorrow shall be my Dancing Day". I have the Star Carol playing while typing, and am glad to have heard it.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

John Gardner's setting Tomorrow shall be my Dancing Day, not Rutter's, which is the traditional tune.
And the verses aren't very clear, but the chorus is - but I suspect my memory has left the words attached to the old tune. This one is more likely to make one get up and dance, though.
Thank you for the YouTube prompt. Without it, i wouldn't have found it.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

There are other versions in YouTube - Kings at Cambridge I don't think has got it. Too smooth. I was going to say it needed the female voices, but Westminster Abbey does it well.
This investigation, of course, has set the worm in well and truly.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band do a good version of "Tomorrow shall be my dancing day"
[tangent]We sang "While Shepherds watched" a la Carnival Band this morning.[/tangent]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band do a good version of "Tomorrow shall be my dancing day"
[tangent]We sang "While Shepherds watched" a la Carnival Band this morning.[/tangent]

I hope it was the Yorkshire Anthem - sung to the tune of Ilkley Moor/

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Very odd occurrence - alternating with Dancing Day I have been hearing "Gossip Calypso". I hadn't heard it for ages, and the subject didn't seem to relate to anything in my life. My brain sometimes comes up with suggested soundtracks to current events, but it didn't seem relevant to anything. And then, in the last half hour, I found myself listening to a Radio 4 programme about gossip, which played a clip from the song. It wasn't a repeat from earlier in the week. Peculiar.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016