homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fox News Advice for Travellers (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fox News Advice for Travellers
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First Birmingham, now central Paris (sorry, it was either here or Hell).

quote:
“in just a ten-minute cab ride from the Eiffel Tower, you can be walking through streets that feel just like Baghdad.”
another link

[ 16. January 2015, 18:24: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
“in just a ten-minute cab ride from the Eiffel Tower, you can be walking through streets that feel just like Baghdad.”
another link
But only if it's a really fast cab, and you told the driver "Baghdad, please."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you get onto the M4 after arriving from the ferry at Fishguard, the Chiswick roundabout is on the second slip road.

(Genuine America misreading of instructions from Heathrow despite correction by Brit in car.)

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everything in Canada is "near Toronto". Canadians enjoy saying "about", "roof" and "out" for your listening pleasure, eh.

It is indeed tremendously cold and we all live in igloos. The electric plug sticking out the front of cars are because gasoline freezes, thus we are forced to have electric cars.

Make sure you call Canadians you meet "hoser". They like that.

Side note:
All Australians who come to Canada work in ski areas as lift operators and ski instructors. They have to come to Canada to learn about snow and how to ski, and obviously learn very quickly once they're here.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Also, while in Oxford, you'll be interested to know that the activity of riding punts on the river is known as "cottaging". If you'd like to take part, simply find a policeman or university professor and ask them to take you to the nearest location where you can can indulge in some cottaging.

There is cottage country just north of where I live. Most of us who own cabins (which is the western Canadian term for a cottage or camp) are members of Cottaging Associations. I know I am. [Biased]

[ 16. January 2015, 19:02: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do get misconceptions even within a country. When the British Sociological Association held its conference at Aberystwyth in c 1980, some of the delegates- and remember that these were (i) British and (ii) people who might be expected to have some informed understanding of British society- asked the organisers if it might be possible to lay on a trip to the local mining districts. Of course there were deep pits in Wales then, but the nearest of them was 60-odd miles* from Aberystwyth. Still, no matter, it was Wales, so of course the country was going to be thickly populated with jolly singing sociologically interesting miners, wasn't it?

*I do realise that in Northern Territory or Montana this is the kind of distance you'd drive to pick up your daily paper. But it's quite a long way in Wales.

BTW Some fans of Fulham FC, who play at Craven Cottage, used to display car stickers which said 'Follow me to the Cottage'. I expect they met some very interesting people...

[ 16. January 2015, 19:59: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either coal mines or sheep farms.

If going to Wales you'll need a phrasebook, as nobody speaks English outside Cardiff. Also, it's quite a small country so you can get from south to north Wales quite quickly. The same is true of travelling around the rest of Britain, which is, after all, only a small island.

You'll also need an umbrella as there is never a day without rain in Wales, or Scotland.

The weather changes once you cross Hadrian's Wall and enter a land of myth, and a time of magic. It is a place where anything could happen (but probably won't). As you head south, beware of the Brontes, who have lured many an unwary traveller to their lakeside home. Be careful in the Black Country, where the trees and flowers are dark as night and no birds sing. And of course, shun the frumious Birmingham...

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Yorkshire it is mandatory for all men to wear flat caps. If you lose yours a new fresh one will can be found in the nearest cattle field.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
..,whose sparkling domes and minarets are visible for miles.

Apparently the stage directions for Donizetti's Emilia de Liverpool describe the setting as 'a beautiful city a few leagues from London'.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
...If going to Wales you'll need a phrasebook, as nobody speaks English outside Cardiff...

No, no. Everybody speaks English but as soon as you enter the room they will switch to Welsh to exclude you. Even in Abergavenny.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
First Birmingham, now central Paris (sorry, it was either here or Hell).

quote:
another link
They also got British PM in waiting, Nigel Farage, to comment on this. There are no go areas controlled by Muslims throughput France apparently.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Side note:
All Australians who come to Canada work in ski areas as lift operators and ski instructors. They have to come to Canada to learn about snow and how to ski, and obviously learn very quickly once they're here.

In all seriousness, quite a few young Australians are keen to go to Canada precisely so they can have that kind of working holiday.

But not all. I met one working in a coffee shop in Vancouver instead.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(sorry, it was either here or Hell).

Why not both?

Frankly, I'm hurt by your policy. Next thing you know you'll be telling me that Hell is a no-go zone where 'normal' Shipmates dare not tread.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Look out my window to my back garden.
Kangaroos jump constantly.
Koalas climb the trees, every tree.
Kookaburras laugh all the time.
Aboriginal dancers tell the stories of the Dreamtime, whilst surf lifesavers rest before running round to the beach in my front garden.

As a recognised Couch- surfer and Workaway/ Helpx host, I meet these expectations with most OS visitors to Australia.
They are shocked that THEIR expectations are not met in every household and garden. (Are you sure you don't have any bronzed lifesavers in your house, stashed away in a cupboard, or something?)
I giggle.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a wonderful photo and wonderful footage of red kangaroos at the San Francisco Zoo. The photo and the footage have the exact same activity level.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Next thing you know you'll be telling me that Hell is a no-go zone where 'normal' Shipmates dare not tread.

Haven't seen any down there yet...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I have a wonderful photo and wonderful footage of red kangaroos at the San Francisco Zoo. The photo and the footage have the exact same activity level.

That's because they're smart. People come and feed them, so if they lie around in the shade it is easier for the food carriers to find them. They don't need to do anything except look beautiful, exotic and smug! The ones around here have to do a lot more work to get fed (although the wallabies in the Bunya Mountains have learnt to recognise tourists, and lie down looking relaxed whenever one comes into view.)

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm reminded of a sandwich stall in Switzerland where an English tourist was looking forward to the chicken sandwich she'd ordered. It was no use telling her that 'schinken' was ham – no, no: it says 'chicken'.

If you're invited to a gathering in New Zealand where food will be consumed, you may be asked to 'bring a plate'. You may be surprised when you get there to find that everyone else arrived with food on their plate. And if the invitation had mentioned 'Men, a bottle' – yes, you've guessed it.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

What- 'got no loo so make your own arrangements for peeing'?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
(sorry, it was either here or Hell).

Why not both?

Frankly, I'm hurt by your policy. Next thing you know you'll be telling me that Hell is a no-go zone where 'normal' Shipmates dare not tread.

Fox News travel advice for Hell: Everyone has a target painted on their backsides, and as soon as you pass the border into Hell, you will have one too. Be aware that it's not the same as The Good Olde Days™, but then, we thought it was part of a Christian web site. There are rusty farm implements scattered everywhere.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is possible to get from central London to Manchester and Liverpool on the Underground - using the Northern Line, of course.

[I once met a bemused tourist at Camden Town who was asking when the next tube to Liverpool left - he'd been told to go to Euston to go north so went to Euston and got onto the Northern Line.]

In Wales everyone responds well if greeted with yachi da and particularly appreciate being hailed 'hey, Taffy'.

(Code fix)

[ 18. January 2015, 10:02: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If traveling in Austria, you might have to explain to the locals what Wiener Schnitzel so they don't try to foist a piece of breaded and deep fried veal on you. Don't fall for that trick -- it's their way of making tourists look gullible.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
No, no. Everybody speaks English but as soon as you enter the room they will switch to Welsh to exclude you. Even in Abergavenny.

[tangent]In Abergavenny, you're more likely to hear broad Hereford![/tangent]

(Code fix)

[ 18. January 2015, 10:04: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
Wow. Look out my window to my back garden.
Kangaroos jump constantly.
Koalas climb the trees, every tree.
Kookaburras laugh all the time.
Aboriginal dancers tell the stories of the Dreamtime, whilst surf lifesavers rest before running round to the beach in my front garden.

As a recognised Couch- surfer and Workaway/ Helpx host, I meet these expectations with most OS visitors to Australia.
They are shocked that THEIR expectations are not met in every household and garden. (Are you sure you don't have any bronzed lifesavers in your house, stashed away in a cupboard, or something?)
I giggle.

You mean Neighbours and Crocodile Dundee aren't documentaries about every day life down under? (Where women um ... And men chunder?)

Tubbs

PS. Sorry!

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:

[tangent]In Abergavenny, you're more likely to hear broad Hereford![/tangent]
I thought it was just me who couldn't understand anyone in Abergavenny... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
I'm reminded of a sandwich stall in Switzerland where an English tourist was looking forward to the chicken sandwich she'd ordered. It was no use telling her that 'schinken' was ham – no, no: it says 'chicken'.

If you're invited to a gathering in New Zealand where food will be consumed, you may be asked to 'bring a plate'. You may be surprised when you get there to find that everyone else arrived with food on their plate. And if the invitation had mentioned 'Men, a bottle' – yes, you've guessed it.

GG

This reminds me of being in Québec (city) and hearing an anglo complain about being brought pineapple - ananas - which she thought was banana.

Tea is always hot here, unless it is said to be ice tea, in which case it means sugar water made from powder, like koolaid. On the other hand, hockey is always played on ice.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... It is indeed tremendously cold and we all live in igloos ...
You may jest. A friend of ours who comes from Windsor, Ontario, worked as a border official in the summer holidays when she was a student, and she tells of people crossing the border, in July, when the temperature was in the 30s C., and asking where the snow was. She would point northwards and tell them that if they drove for about a week in that direction, they might find some snow ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When driving in New York City it is not lawful to yield to emergency vehicles with flashing lights and blaring sirens. Indeed, it is considered great sport to race them.

Also, there is a ten second grace period between the time a traffic light turns red and the time when you actually have to stop.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An allied law, of traffic lights in the US: Green means go. Red means stop. The intervening yellow light is a signal to step on it and go faster.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
An allied law, of traffic lights in the US: Green means go. Red means stop. The intervening yellow light is a signal to step on it and go faster.

That one's pretty universal.

When visiting the UK, it is appropriate to show respect to police officers. The accepted way of doing this is to place the heels together, bend the knees outward in a demi-plié, and greet him or her with a hearty "'Allo 'allo 'allo".

If you don't recognize the insignia on the officer's tunic, it is in order to follow up your greeting with the question "What's all this, then?"

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

On traffic lights, one saying which is perhaps more accurate than misleading is that in Turin, a red light is a command; in Rome, it's a suggestion; in Naples, it's a challnge.

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On traffic lights, one saying which is perhaps more accurate than misleading is that in Turin, a red light is a command; in Rome, it's a suggestion; in Naples, it's a challnge.

and a pedestrian crossing is an opportunity for prayer, being a good Catholic country!

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bill Bryson suggests that if a pedestrian wants to cross a street in Rome, he/she should find a group of nuns and stick to them like a wet t-shirt. NO ONE would dare hit a nun, but anyone else is taking their chances in the Roman traffic. (I actually took his advice.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mind is now boggling at the thought of the words 'nuns' and 'wet t-shirt' in the same sentence...

I had a teacher who had been a passionate 1960s radical, who told me if I ever went on a protest march, walk between the nuns and the kids' groups. There's never any trouble.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

Going back to the OP, one thing I'd like to counter is the idea promoted by some that in Birmingham UK there are 'no-go areas' for non-Muslims (otherwise described as 'white people').

It's true that certain inner city districts and suburbs of Birmingham have a relatively high population of Muslims. But these areas all have churches that local Christians (and others) can attend if they want to! Even inner city Birmingham still houses some white (and other) non-Muslims, and of course, some of the residents are now white, non-Muslim East Europeans.

I think it's more the case that some (working class) white British people feel uncomfortable living on or visiting a street where people from their cultural background are in the minority. But that doesn't mean that Muslims have somehow banned them from being there!

Two of the happiest years of my life were spent in Birmingham, where our theological college was located on the borderlands between the wealthy surburbia of Edgbaston, the Balti Belt of the Bristol Road and our nearest town-centre, Harborne.

We did some of our placements in Lozelles a mixed Black-Christian/Muslim area, where within the space of a few streets we could experience the 'typical' Black Pentecostalist church, a mosque and a gurdwara; did school visits to Church of England schools with 95% Muslim children attenders, whose parents largely supported the broad-based CofE ethos which prevailed. And in one of my own parish placements - inner-city Brum - our next door neighbour was the Saddam Hussein Mosque - doubtless re-named since then!

I LOVED Birmingham.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Los Angeles freeways, the "diamond lanes*" are reserved for persons wealthy enough to employ a chauffeur to drive them.

* Actually the diamonds mark the carpool lanes, reserved for vehicles with two or more occupants.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Mind is now boggling at the thought of the words 'nuns' and 'wet t-shirt' in the same sentence...

If that's the way your cookie crumbles, I'm sure a search of the web with all the safeguards switched off will find someone happy to cater for your tastes. [Snigger]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Be sure to check the currency regulations so that you do not try to carry more than the maximum permitted amount of Scottish pounds into England, or vice versa. Banks in any border town will offer competitive rates of exchange.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
Be sure to check the currency regulations so that you do not try to carry more than the maximum permitted amount of Scottish pounds into England, or vice versa. Banks in any border town will offer competitive rates of exchange.

But you should be aware that attempting to trade Scottish currency in England is illegal and an arrestable offence. However this law is widely flouted, and a discreet word with a shopkeeper, restaurateur etc. in the border regions of England (Cumbria, Northumberland, Durham) should allow you to benefit from the more favourable unofficial rate of exchange.

In Scotland, where a different legal system applies, provided your English notes are demonstrably genuine, you will find almost any local happy to give you £1 Scots for as little as £1.10 or even £1.05 English.

The discrepancy is due to the economic impact of North Sea oil.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is illegal to tip taxi-drivers in London

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
It is illegal to tip taxi-drivers in London

Snap!
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

I was wondering if someone was going to notice that.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

'I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that.' (Capt. Mainwaring)

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

When traveling from Mexico to the United States, one can avoid long lines and delays at border checkpoints by chartering a rowboat to take one across the Rio Grande.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
... our next door neighbour was the Saddam Hussein Mosque - doubtless re-named since then!

I LOVED Birmingham. [/QB]

Renamed the Jami Masjid and Islamic Centre in 2003. [Big Grin] [Sorry, slow work day!]

I used to have to go there every few months to do training in an old job. I loved it too!

Tubbs

[ 19. January 2015, 15:44: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the town of Poole in Dorset, it is compulsory for every property to have its own swimming pool, no matter how small.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When crossing from Wales to England, or ngland to Wales, it is necessary to stop at the border control to show your passport.
(A few years ago, our church had a delightful, but rather naive, Peruvian layworker. We took her to Hereford via Pontrilas, where there is a bridge over the river and large signs saying Welcome to England. We managed to persuade her that she would need her passport.)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The people of Wales guard their culture jealously and take precautions to avoid being 'swamped' by foreigners - so a charge is levied to drive over the border.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And so it is: £6.40 per car travelling across the Severn Bridge.

I note that one isn't charged for leaving Wales ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

WRONG!

It went up again on 1st January and is now £6.50 - roughly $9.80.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't work like the Skye bridge when it was first built does it? If you were crossing the bridge with livestock, the fee wasn't charged.

So they got this sheep ... [Killing me]

Once they'd paid for the bridge, they took the toll off, and presumably the sheep was made redundant*.

* or made into a casserole. [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016