homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What would Jesus wear?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What would Jesus wear?
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am doing the Sacred Space (from the book) this year as my Daily Morning Thingy

This week I am asked to "imagine Jesus himself ...at my side" and "share my feelings with him".

Hence the question.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this immortal site, no matter what you're doing he always wears the white robe outfit.

What's more, the site settles the vexed question raised in Purgatory a while back: fighter pilot is an acceptable profession, with Jesus in the navigator's seat. ("New!" I wonder if the artist reads the Ship?)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah now, according to a painting I saw yesterday in the Alte Nationalgalerie, when dropping in on the average humble German family, He favoured an all-blue ensemble: simple, uncluttered lines, no watch, no jewellery.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Das Tischgebet?

Where is the sign saying "Christ is the unseen guest at every meal", etc.?

(not sure about the red T-shirt underneath, either)

[ 22. January 2015, 08:28: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cat doesn't seem to be very happy. It's gone into hiding under the chest of drawers. Makes you wonder if this is the 'real' Jesus who has such an effect! [Paranoid]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Das Tischgebet?

Still the bare feet 'tho.

Brrrrrrr! Far too cold in this snow and freezing temperatures, frostbite is not a good look.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
The cat doesn't seem to be very happy. It's gone into hiding under the chest of drawers.

The paterfamilias doesn't look very gruntled either. He's got that "I wanted a quiet evening in but I'll be polite" look on his face.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot but feel conversation round the table would be rather stilted, and the air heavy with the unspoken 'There would be more stew to go round if You didn't keep dropping in at mealtimes'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fond of Coffee with Jesus. Always in a coat and tie, but I admit we never see his feet.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Das Tischgebet?

Still the bare feet 'tho.

Brrrrrrr! Far too cold in this snow and freezing temperatures, frostbite is not a good look.

Not only that, He's left the door open.

WHO WAS BORN IN A BARN?

Oh...

[ 22. January 2015, 15:19: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I cannot but feel conversation round the table would be rather stilted, and the air heavy with the unspoken 'There would be more stew to go round if You didn't keep dropping in at mealtimes'.

Or perhaps, "If you are going to drop in at mealtimes, You could at least do a bit of the old 'loaves and fish' routine on the stew, y'know, make it stretch the extra person."

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The usual here if someone is coming for supper, is they bring a bottle of wine. Probably Jesus doesn't bother, seeing as he's got the water to wine trick.

Here, if he's coming in winter, he's got to be wearing boots, parka, mitts and toque. Maybe he doesn't wear socks after taking the boots off at the door. I wonder if he gets the static electricity hair standing up thing with flattened toque hair like the rest of us.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toque? As worn by HM the late Queen Mary? Or does the name refer to something different where you are?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What got me was the clogs
The predecessor of Birkenstocks maybe?

Actually Diane Schoemperlen in Our Lady of the Lost and Found has a good description of C21 Mary in regular clothes.

Perhaps He might be a lumber-sexual (I read the Guardian on-line, you know)...

Keep the ideas coming, folks, I've got a few more days to go on this "devotion"...

--------------------

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nike sandals. The brown ones look particularly fetching, but I expect he'd wear the purple ones in Lent.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if anyone here is a fan of SANDMAN, the graphic novels by Neil Gaiman. In those works the Sandman (a supernatural figure) has the gift of appearing like the viewer. Among cats, he is a cat, a black one; among people he is a tall skinny man with black hair. And he is always dressed to fit in: doublets in Tudor times, a toga in ancient Rome, a tee and jeans in New York City.

Such a nifty trick, I like to think of Jesus doing it, as in fact C.S. Lewis has suggested. Among hermit crabs he is a hermit crab; among fish he is finned.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Keep the ideas coming, folks, I've got a few more days to go on this "devotion"...

If you haven't yet, get your hands on the short story entitled The Visit by Adrian Plass, which imagines Jesus visiting an average contemporary church.

(IIRC, the only point at which we learn what he's wearing is when he swaps the suit jacket the harrassed church administrator has bought him to attend functions, for the one-armed glaring monstrosity previously belonging to a one-armed harmonica-playing beggar Jesus has healed, on the spurious grounds that the guy now needed a new jacket to fit his new arm in).

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Toque? As worn by HM the late Queen Mary? Or does the name refer to something different where you are?

That's not a toque. Not here. It is a knitted wool (or other) close fitting hat, often with a pom-pom. These are all toques. Some people use the term "beanie (even the link does) but a beanie doesn't cover the ears. A beanie covers just your bean (head). At last count I have 12 toques.

[ 22. January 2015, 18:10: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
The cat doesn't seem to be very happy. It's gone into hiding under the chest of drawers.

The paterfamilias doesn't look very gruntled either. He's got that "I wanted a quiet evening in but I'll be polite" look on his face.
Never mind the vater, has anyone noticed the child on the far side of the table? There is a worrying resemblance to Chucky, the evil doll of 1990s moral panics. (Not the kid from Rugrats, hair's the wrong colour...)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a dream once where I met Jesus. He was wearing a brown homespun pullover and corduroy pants. He was scruffy and had curly hair. Oh and sandals.

Hope this helps Gallilit!

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how easy He would be to recognise without the shiningly bright white robe with the nice red toga-type over robe, shoulder-length brown hair and trimmed beard.

I remember watching a television film about Jesus hiding in a barn in England, and only the children knew he was there. I was a child myself when I saw it, so I can't remember what he was wearing in the film, but I seem to recall that he turned out to be a criminal on the run from the police. It was a moving film. Anyone remember any more about it? I think it was made in the late sixties or early seventies.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one. I never saw it but heard of it at the time.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Originally posted by cosmic dance:
I had a dream once where I met Jesus. He was wearing a brown homespun pullover and corduroy pants. He was scruffy and had curly hair. Oh and sandals.

Sure does
What is home-spun - like natural wool you mean?
Corduroys - tell me they were not Austin Powers type but thin and scuffed Chuck Norris type

[ 23. January 2015, 05:40: Message edited by: Galilit ]

--------------------

crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
This one. I never saw it but heard of it at the time.

Yes that's it.
I'm going to watch it again, thanks.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In its day, Whistle Down the Wind was a very well known film here. It starred Hayley Mills as the child lead. It's weird that the IMDb seems to think it was made in Sweden. It wasn't. It was made in north Lancashire.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the 60s/70s, there were styrofoam sandals called "Jesus Feet"--because they'd enable you to walk on water!

Of course, Jesus wouldn't need them...unless he wanted to hide in plain sight...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Back in the 60s/70s, there were styrofoam sandals called "Jesus Feet"--because they'd enable you to walk on water!

Of course, Jesus wouldn't need them...unless he wanted to hide in plain sight...

Maybe He would wear these instead.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sure does
Corduroys - tell me they were not Austin Powers type but thin and scuffed Chuck Norris type

I expect the cords would be green, like mine, and he would not be wearing socks with sandals. He was not a sinner after all.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

What shade of green - it does cover a multitude of...hues

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Sure does

I expect the cords would be green, like mine, and he would not be wearing socks with sandals. He was not a sinner after all.
Do you still have that beard, Sioni? [Eek!]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
<on thee corduroy trousers worn by Jesus> I expect the cords would be green, like mine, and he would not be wearing socks with sandals. He was not a sinner after all.

Do you still have that beard, Sioni? [Eek!]
Yes, I still have the beard [Biased]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continuing the hat tangent...
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
That's not a toque. Not here. It is a knitted wool (or other) close fitting hat, often with a pom-pom. These are all toques.

Round here that would be a bonnet, or a woolly bonnet. The ones with a pom-pom on the top are known as bobble hats.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Dammit - this week has Jesus sitting next to me and I am supposed "to speak out my feelings as to a trusted friend"
He will have more outfits than Barbie at this rate.
Very un-Christian.
He is still in faded green cords tho' I have not got the top-half sorted yet. Or the shoes - it's a nightmare...

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I expect the cords would be green, like mine.

Only in ordinary time.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

On the contrary. Our Lord was a gentleman, and therefore a member of the Church of England, and therefore according to the canons of the Church as specified in the Thirty Nine Articles would have worn his socks with sandals.

This is done, because while anyone might don a dog collar in order to imitate a clergyman for material gain, nobody with taste would wear socks with sandals except for religious reasons.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] dead right.

quote:
According to this immortal site, no matter what you're doing he always wears the white robe outfit.
...not even donning eye protection while looking over the shoulder of the welder. 'Oh sh*t...not again...got any mud? I need to spit in my own eye for a second'.

And the guitarist is, of course, the late, great - ?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dammit - this week has Jesus sitting next to me and I am supposed "to speak out my feelings as to a trusted friend"
He will have more outfits than Barbie at this rate.
Very un-Christian.
He is still in faded green cords tho' I have not got the top-half sorted yet. Or the shoes - it's a nightmare...

Hi Gallilit, I'm back. Look, the cords were actually faded brown,(apologies to the green cords brigade, but it was my dream). The sweater was that natural coloured wool which I described as 'homespun' and kind of chunky and went very nicely with the cords. And sandals, without socks! He looked counter-cultural in a 70's kind of way - now I'm showing my age. He didn't let me in on his denominational allegiance unfortunately, but if, at the time he had told me he was C of E/ Anglican I would have said "Well you can't possibly be Jesus then, can you."
Fortunately, my opinions have changed over time...

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

Yes, counter-cultural a la 70's would suit...

I am also becoming a bit concerned about talking to men in their early 30's and taking their advice...seems like every time I have something serious to do in the past 5 years the doctor. clerk, whatever looks too young.

All this Reality Prayer is becoming a bit much I fear...I could be his mother!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an image of him walking up to Jerusalem with the tassels of a prayer shawl hanging under a waistcoat and a keffiya on his head. Just to confuse everyone.
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see him in jeans and a flannel shirt (a subdued blue and red plaid), probably Birkenstocks on his feet, but he might wear Converse All-Stars. In cold weather he would wear a peacoat.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

I didn't like to mention it but I'd already added the tzitziot . I wonder about peyot (side curls) too.

I worked in an Israeli high school canteen/tuck shop for a few years and used to muse which of the boys I had made bread rolls for and sold CocaCola to looked most like Jesus

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016