homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Most important band in the history of popular music (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Most important band in the history of popular music
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that's how Andy McCluskey (lead singer of Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) described Kraftwerk, that they changed the world more than the Beetles. BBC Radio 5 clip

Any other candidates?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends a lot on whether one is considering the influence of the musical style (Kraftwerk would be a good contender on that score, I agree) or on the industry as a whole.

I think the Sex Pistols are good contenders on both counts.
quote:
their importance—both to the direction of contemporary music and more generally to pop culture—can hardly be overstated

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thotch.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd opt for Bill Haley and His Comets.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Popular Music? That'd be The Beatles who proved that you can write catchy tunes with memorable lyrics and still have some musical worth and credibility.

Straight rock? Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

Progressive/experimental? Got to be Focus - anyone who thinks that Mr Oldfield and his bells 'sprang out of nowhere' should listen to the first two Focus albums, especially Focus II (sometimes called Moving Waves.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to go back much further than that and put in a bid for the Original Dixieland Jass Band

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For effect on getting people to try actually playing music, I'd go with the Beatles. Hardly anyone in school now who learns much music without some Beatle tunes in the mix.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Police - bridged the gap from Punk with good musicianship and clever lyrics.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
The Police - bridged the gap from Punk with good musicianship and clever lyrics.

If any band did that it would have to be Squeeze. Best songwriting since The Beatles and The Kinks, good musicians but I wouldn't rate either them or The Police as the most important.

The only band to rival the Beatles for material, skill and variety has to be The Rolling Stones, and they have longevity on their side too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do think that Kraftwerk made a substantial impact on introducing electronica into listenable music.

I also think Jimi Hendrix should be up for a shot, for showing that you can do more with a guitar than most groups were at the time. Every band who rocks the guitar has a nod towards him.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

The only band to rival the Beatles for material, skill and variety has to be The Rolling Stones, and they have longevity on their side too.

Ooh, no. Not IMO. The Beatles were innovators, the Stones were implimenters. They have had more staying power, but it has resulted in a vast desert of mediocrity sparsely populated by only a few blooms of worth. They have largely served as their own best tribute band.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Stones. But for what they are.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some bands are influential. But that's not importance. What would popular music culture be without drunken karaoke renditions of Queen?

[ 22. January 2015, 18:18: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Some bands are influential. But that's not importance.

Um, what? Influence defines importance within the context of this discussion.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't imagine what "important" means? How do you compare across time periods and genres? Number of people? Passion of Fans? Influence on other Musicians? Most money made by the record company? Most money made by the musicians? Longest lived career? Bands which matter to the Boomer generation?

Uncredited but influential, The Wrecking Crew played a huge number of hits as anonymous studio musicians.

The DVD is finally coming out in March but the website has the trailer.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, "important" means that music wouldn't be the same if they'd never existed. there are plenty of good bands who aren't that important in that sense. The Beatles are certainly the most important in my lifetime, in that they saved rock & roll from near-fatal doldrums (without them it could very well have proved to be just a fad), invented the band as collective rather than star-and-sidemen, revolutionized the role of the recording studio in popular music, and more. Before them, I'd point to the Benny Goodman Orchestra of the mid-1930s, Louis Armstrong's Hot Five, and I suppose (though it makes me shudder slightly) the Original Dixieland Jazz Band. the Carter Family in country music.

Kraftwerk were important in a way, but their impact was delayed about 20 years, and electronica remains a peripheral subgenre, however passionate some people are about it. They didn't really change the course of mainstream popular music in any major sense--the increased use of synthesizers did not happen because musicians wanted to imitate "Autobahn."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to single it down. The Beatles and Beach Boys were competing with each other re new sounds. All the 1960s and 70s people always credit Elvis and Bob Dylan. But if most important equate with staying with us, I agree with the Beatles and Stones.

It is interesting that I cannot think of a song name let alone a tune for some of the bands mentioned. Re BTO (and The Guess Who), Randy Bachman has a long-running CBC radio show, Vinyl Tap which does all sorts of interesting themed shows. I think you can stream it or get on sat radio.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been through the whole works since pre-Elvis, I'll stick with the Beatles, but add Bob Dylan as the individual who had the largest effect.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Velvet Underground. Not many people bought their records, but apparently everyone who did started a band.

Also, they were a post-punk group before punk itself existed.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How could they be "post-punk" if punk hadn't happened yet? [Big Grin]

I can't say I've really studied the subject - there are lots of bands whose influence was important to popular culture - but I understand that if you ask many rock musicians (especially guitarists) who was their greatest influence most of them will say Jimi Hendrix.

[ 23. January 2015, 01:58: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Beatles.

2. ABBA--simply because their music always makes me happy.

3. The Monkees. Per something I saw on TV, there was a time when they were up there with both the Beatles and the Stones. And there was Davy (RIP).

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I would say the Monkees are an example of a good, popular, but unimportant band (and I'm a fan). Setting aside the "Pre-fab Four" bullshit (so they didn't play on their first two records--that was nothing out of the ordinary, just how records were made in LA in those days--it was an assembly line and the special skill set of session players was needed), they didn't set any musical trends (except that they were the first pop group to use a Moog synthesizer).

BTO is another--lots of hits, but they never influenced anybody of consequence, and if they had never existed the history of rock would be about the same.

Velvet Underground does make the "important" list in spite of being a commercial failure. I suppose the Ramones as well, though I never liked them much. Kiss is on the "big but unimportant" list. Aerosmith likewise (just a Stones tribute band at heart). REM was important, the B-52s just a quirky cult favorite. Dire Straits a brilliant outlier, the Yardbirds mostly unimportant as a band in spite of the importance of their ex-guitarists. One could go on...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of good music is influenced by Black Sabbath.

My belief that rock and metal has blues roots is supported by something that Tony Iommi said, when he said that he was influenced by blues records, 78's, where the names were not always written on the records. There are a ton of Black bluesmen who are lost in the deep mists of time, like some kind of pre-earth mix of bacteria in water; we tend to forget that that was the start. Of course, people like Public Enemy would call Elvis Presley racist for copying bluesmen's music and styles but not acknowledging them.

Within blues there were people like Big Joe Turner and Lead Belly, but there are plenty of lesser known bluesmen who are part of something more influential than any 1970s pop band.

With no blues, metal, rock and jazz would either not exist or by massively different.

I wonder though, what, other than slavery was influential upon blues.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we talking about pop or rock? Because if it’s the former, I’m going to put in a vote here for the Beegees. I don’t know how many people really admit to being their fans, but I think they did have a massive influence on much of the commercial pop that followed them.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
Thotch.

[Big Grin]
I'm annoyed with myself that I only caught the last episode of the latest series.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's so many contenders.

Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin both influenced many rock musicians.

The Beatles' influence is undoubted, but many people forget that without Pet Sounds, there would be no Sgt Pepper.

Several punk groups, including but not limited to the Sex Pistols showed that you don't have to be musically talented to be successful [Snigger]

Clearly however, the two most influential people in rock music are Les Paul & Jim Marshall.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
Several punk groups, including but not limited to the Sex Pistols showed that you don't have to be musically talented to be successful [Snigger]

The point of the Sex Pistols is a) that they were highly original b) they completely disrupted the music industry by imposing their style rather than what record company execs wanted, thus opening the way for a lot more artistic creativity.

Plus the studio my band recorded in had previously been used by the Sex Pistols [Big Grin]

Time to put Never Mind the Bollocks... on I think.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

The Beatles' influence is undoubted, but many people forget that without Pet Sounds, there would be no Sgt Pepper.

Without the Beatles, the Beach Boys might never have recorded Pet Sounds. The massive popularity of the Beatles, and their shared label's focus on them in preference to the Beach Boys, changed Brian Wilson's focus. That, and his personal issues, pushed him into the studio where the genius happened. Without Chuck Berry, the Beatles might not have evolved as they did.
It is a massively intertwined thing, music.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Are we talking about pop or rock? Because if it’s the former, I’m going to put in a vote here for the Beegees. I don’t know how many people really admit to being their fans, but I think they did have a massive influence on much of the commercial pop that followed them.

Pre-disco Bee Gees is some pretty good stuff.

The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is mostly good for skeet shooting, though.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take U2. They took Christianity mainstream.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do the following have in common?

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Stone Roses
Happy Mondays
Radiohead
Talking Heads
Primal Scream
Kraftwerk

[list=1][*]They were all influential in their own right.[*]They were all influenced by Can.

Can, a band most people have never heard of has influenced more people either directly or indirectly than you can shake a stick at.

Andy McCluskey in the OP was wrong. Kraftwerk may have influenced those into synth music, but the band they were influenced by have influence more widely than that.

As for the Sex Pistols, they were influential musically. Pretty good as all they did was speed up Led Zeppelin riffs.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

I suppose it must be difficult for anyone who wasn't born then (or old enough to be aware) to grasp the extent to which the Beatles dominated popular music from 1964-1970. There has never been anything remotely like it since, or probably before. Bear in mind that back then artists were expected to release an album every six months (and singles at least 3-4 times a year), and there were no internet leaks, only rumors and speculation (What are they going to do next? Only Dylan generated something like as much buzz). They created new subgenres and discarded them almost before the imitators got their records out. And every time the Beatles put out a new record, it changed music. Yes, Pet Sounds in some way inspired Sergeant Pepper, but Rubber Soul and Revolver inspired Pet Sounds. The Stones were the anti-Beatles (imitating them all the while) but the Beatles didn't need the Stones. For those six years, the Beatles were the absolute center of popular music, with everyone else measured in relation to them. I can't imagine how it could ever happen again, even if a band with that much talent came along (and there have been a few that came close). It was a different world, but the Beatles were a big part of why it changed.

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a barometer, compare Please Please Me (the album) with Sgt. Pepper or Abbey Road. How long have the Red Hot Chili Peppers been a going affair? Is their first album that much different from their most recent ones? Is it because the entire world of popular music has changed? It that, in turn, because THEY changed it?

How much has popular music changed in the last 20 years? The last 10? The last 5? What one band has been largely responsible for that change?

There are no pretenders to the Beatles' crown. Give it up, y'all.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
My belief that rock and metal has blues roots is supported by something that Tony Iommi said, when he said that he was influenced by blues records,.

Is there any argument about this? I thought it was widely acknowledged by both academics and musicians.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:
My belief that rock and metal has blues roots is supported by something that Tony Iommi said, when he said that he was influenced by blues records,.

Is there any argument about this? I thought it was widely acknowledged by both academics and musicians.
I've never heard anyone deny it. And I've read a good bit on the history of Rock and Roll.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
I suppose it must be difficult for anyone who wasn't born then (or old enough to be aware)

People tend to be less aware of things that did not happen in "their" era. What happened before, and what has changed since, is of little interest. I am amazed at this. It is, IMO, a symptom of our tribal nature.
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

Metal began with a blues heritage. Early on, some groups abandoned that for punk, prog, classical, etc. Easy to miss if your experience is limited to one style.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Brian Epstein? Not sure they would have influenced anyone without him.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

They could well have pioneered the Alster Sound, rather than the Mersey Beat.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Same can be said of George Martin.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Mitch Benn said in his wonderful show about the Beatles, what you had there was a combination of unbelievable raw talent with a manager and producer who were interested in nurturing and developing that talent rather than in making a quick buck and getting out. This is something that almost never happens.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly Mike Oldfield should get a mention? Tubular Bells was one of the first electronic, multitracked pieces of music I remember. (Along with Jean-Michel Jarre)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

Neither Brian Epstein nor George Martin were a band. The question is which was the most important band, not, were they completely unaided in their careers by anybody else. Your point is completely opaque. What's your point?

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chuck Berry.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon

[ 27. January 2015, 04:57: Message edited by: Mere Nick ]

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Your point is completely opaque. What's your point?

I can't speak for TPFF, but my point was that the casual assumption is often that the importance of a band is directly related to the sheer musical talent of its immediate members; people fail to realise the crucial role played by managers, producers, and other industry professionals.

That's why my vote goes to the Sex Pistols.

The Beatles benefitted from a canny manager and producer. Without them, we might never have heard of the band. The Sex Pistols (or so legend has it) stuck two fingers up at their record label and played what they wanted to play, and people liked it. That freed popular music from the shackles of record company execs, at least for a while.

(In similar vein one could point to Radiohead who, I think, were the first popular band to make their album free to download, thus acknowledging the end of the prevailing popular music business model).

[ 27. January 2015, 05:08: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

counts number of musicians who count the Sex Pistols as an influence
counts the number of musicians who count the Beatles as an influence

hmmmmmm

[ 27. January 2015, 05:42: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even the Beatles would admit they were influenced by the Rockabilly Music of the early 50's; but even before that there was the Doo Oop Music of the 30's and 40's. Also Country Western and Jazz Music going back to the early 1900's.

The deal of it is Rock and Roll (to borrow a riff) is here to stay. It is constantly adapting, appealing to new generations of listeners, spinning off new expressions. Myself I have gone from Rockabilly, through the British Invasion, Hard Rock, Acid Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, New Wave, Disco, Rap, Hip Hop--who knows where it will go next.

Thing of it is, my 13 year old granddaughters love the music of the 60's just as much as they love the Hip Hop of today.

But if you really want to know who was the most influential person behind Rock and Roll, it would be Adolf Rickenbacker who developed the electric guitar in 1932. The rest is history.

[ 27. January 2015, 05:53: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Your point is completely opaque. What's your point?

I can't speak for TPFF, but my point was that the casual assumption is often that the importance of a band is directly related to the sheer musical talent of its immediate members; people fail to realise the crucial role played by managers, producers, and other industry professionals.
Indubitably. But again the question is "important" not "most talented." The Beatles were more than 4 people; they were a cultural and business phenomenon that involved a lot of creative talent outside the Fab Four. Some, like Aspinall, could probably be replaced, and the story would have unfolded much the same. Others, like George Martin and Brian Epstein, absolutely not.

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Even the Beatles would admit they were influenced by the Rockabilly Music of the early 50's; but even before that there was the Doo Oop Music of the 30's and 40's. Also Country Western and Jazz Music going back to the early 1900's.

Absolutely. And John and Paul, at least, were the first to admit that their influences were legion.

quote:
That's why my vote goes to the Sex Pistols.

Two thumbs up for bloodymindedness. You could say the same for Nirvana. Not quite what the OP is asking for, though.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Neither Brian Epstein nor George Martin were a band. The question is which was the most important band, not, were they completely unaided in their careers by anybody else. Your point is completely opaque. What's your point?
I was just saying that George Martin was as important to the Beatles as Brian Epstein.

Some people on this thread have pointed to the Beatles as the most important band, what's wrong with discussing what made them so?

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

Thing of it is, my 13 year old granddaughters love the music of the 60's just as much as they love the Hip Hop of today.

I'm hip.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gramps49: The deal of it is Rock and Roll (to borrow a riff) is here to stay. It is constantly adapting, appealing to new generations of listeners, spinning off new expressions. Myself I have gone from Rockabilly, through the British Invasion, Hard Rock, Acid Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, New Wave, Disco, Rap, Hip Hop--who knows where it will go next.
Funnily, in that whole list of styles, the newest is over 35 years old. I think the last time pop music has renewed itself was with hardcore house and grunge in the early nineties. After that, it has been standing still. And I believe it will continue to do so.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Some people on this thread have pointed to the Beatles as the most important band, what's wrong with discussing what made them so?

Depends on how it's done. When the argument is, "The Beatles had a bunch of support; therefore some other band is more important," then it's no longer just "discussing what made them important".

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016