homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Maybe I am just getting old

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Maybe I am just getting old
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently watched an old movie musical called "Gigi", which was made in 1958 from a stage play which in turn was made from a story by Colette. I think I saw this many years ago, but I did not remember it clearly. In its day, "Gigi" was a success; it won 9 Oscars.

Watching it recently, though, I find that the story leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It does have a more or less happy ending, as Gigi marries a rich man who loves her (a Jane Austen success), and it does have a few superb songs ("I Remember It Well"--though it's not clear who remembers what), but the depiction of society is so cynical that it spoils the effect, for me.

Does anyone else remember the film? What do you think?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, I remember it well... [Smile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe it's a much sanitised version of Colette's original. So is your quarrel with the manners and morals of Belle Époque Paris?

If a piece of art is reasonably accurate in its depiction of a particular period - and that picture is repellant - is that the fault of the work or the times?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the cynical aspects of "Gigi" were intentional. (I love "Gigi", by the way.)

Honoré is a daft old lech, Gaston is a rake and a buck, Madame Alvarez is a glorified pimp, God Knows what Aunt Alicia is thinking, but in the end, Gigi's honest, self- respecting world view wins out. I think that is relatively positive.

[ 07. February 2015, 21:07: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The material and score are being reworked for a Broadway production, and a good deal of adjusting is being done to make the thing less weird to the modern eye. For instance the song 'Thank Heaven for Little Girls' is now not sung by old Honore but instead by the two grandmothers.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
For instance the song 'Thank Heaven for Little Girls' is now not sung by old Honore but instead by the two grandmothers.

[Killing me]

I think it would be more true to the tone of the original to have Honoré sing it and have the grandmothers giving him ferocious side-eye and gently guiding the Leetle Gahrls away from the wolf in Kindly Grandpa's Clothing.

"No, no, cherie, do not take ze sweeties from heem."

[ 08. February 2015, 01:09: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roselyn
Shipmate
# 17859

- Posted      Profile for Roselyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't this film made with left over songs from My Fair Lady??
Posts: 98 | From: gold coast gld australia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. The songs were all originals written specially for the film - which had Andre Previn as musical director.

What may have given rise to the rumour of a link to My Fair Lady is the suggestion was that Audrey Hepburn should play Gigi but in the end Leslie Caron got the nod - (perhaps because singing was not Hepburn's strongest suit?).

The talking point at the time was the casting of Maurice Chevalier as Honore - he was tainted with a suggestion of collaboration during the war and it was Gigi that really cemented his rehabilitation as far as most of the English speaking world was concerned.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Ah yes, I remember it well... [Smile]

[Overused]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
No. The songs were all originals written specially for the film - which had Andre Previn as musical director.

What may have given rise to the rumour of a link to My Fair Lady is the suggestion was that Audrey Hepburn should play Gigi but in the end Leslie Caron got the nod - (perhaps because singing was not Hepburn's strongest suit?).

The talking point at the time was the casting of Maurice Chevalier as Honore - he was tainted with a suggestion of collaboration during the war and it was Gigi that really cemented his rehabilitation as far as most of the English speaking world was concerned.

The story goes that Colette saw Audrey Hepburn in a hotel lobby in Paris and said, 'that's my Gigi.' Audrey played Gigi in the Broadway stage version (non-musical) in 1951. Leslie Caron got the part in the film musical. She was just wonderfully effervescent and her dance background and her experience in a previous movie musical ('An American in Paris') were big pluses, I'm sure.

Colette certainly knew Gigi's world inside and out. In my opinion her greatest works are the two linked novellas (Cheri and the Last of Cheri) about Cheri, a spoiled young man, and his mistress Lea, who was a courtesan during the Belle Epoque. That is the milieu that Gigi's grandmother came from. In Colette's novella 'Gigi' and in the original stage play and musical, Gigi is being groomed by her grandmother to be a high-end courtesan to service older, wealthy men and that was extremely common when Colette was a young woman. The new staging of the musical premiered here in DC. Some things were sanitized to make the story less squirm-inducing to 21st century sensibilities. For example, Gigi's love interest, Gaston, is much younger than in the original Gigi.

Interesting info about Chevalier being a collaborator and 'Gigi' playing a big part in his 'rehabilitation'.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are in the DC area? So am I. I wonder whether there are any others?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe there may be. Why not start a thread in All Saints and see what kind of response you get? You might be able to get a shipmeet going.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
... the song 'Thank Heaven for Little Girls' is now not sung by old Honore but instead by the two grandmothers.

[tangent]
When we lived in Northern Ireland, D. was asked to play for the funeral of a well-known local gentleman, whose widow had specifically asked that Thank Heaven for Little Girls and I Could Have Danced All Night be played as the congregation arrived.

He said he felt a right berk, as while he knew that he was only playing them because they'd been requested, the arriving congregation didn't ... [Paranoid]
[/tangent]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Louis Jourdan has died.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016