homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Old shows that still enthrall us (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Old shows that still enthrall us
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy it's been a long time since I started a thread. Let's see how it goes.

There's threads on current TV shows, but what if what you really want to rave about is something older, either that you've loved for years, or that you just discovered? This is the place to let it out.

For me it's The West Wing. A friend had been trying to get me to watch it for ages, and after she forced me into a few episodes, I got caught by it. I actually joined Netflix for the express purpose of watching it, and binge watched the whole seven years in the last few weeks. I want to live in the world where Bartlett and Santos were presidents!

So anyone else want to offer up a blast frm the past?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I started my new job, I have been repeatedly binge-- watching old episodes of the Carol Burnett show. Weirdly, I have come to believe it's because she was one of my major role models when I was in preschool, so in some strange way reconnecting with Carol and the gang helps me access my inner four year old.

That, and it is hard to maintain a bad mood after a couple hours of watching Tim Conway tease Harvey Korman into a collapse.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re "West Wing"--Once upon a time, there were "Bartlett For President" bumperstickers. The US could do worse, and often has...

I've found that some series that I initially shrug off--or avoid like the plague--turn out to be among my favorites: "Buffy", "X-Files", etc. I've tried to learn from that, and am beginning to get it right.

There are several broadcast stations here (SF Bay Area) that have retro shows. I watch "Doogie Howser, MD" most nights. (Some of it has held up well, but there are attitudes and comments that don't.) I used to watch "Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids" in the wee hours, but am avoiding it due to Cosby issues. I occasionally watch the "Burns & Allen Show". Caught a bit of "Mod Squad" the other night. [Smile]

One of my long-time faves is "Scarecrow & Mrs. King", though it's not currently running here.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm having a think this might be the place to see if there any other fans of US prison drama 'Oz' who might understand why I'm so happy that J.K. Simmons has just won an Oscar.

Oz is the reason I bought a multi-region DVD player; the first internet forum I joined was the Oz thread on Television Without Pity, and then a splinter group on Yahoo.

From the creators of Homicide: Life on the Street, Oz was notable for grizzly death, comment on social justice and having a largely female and gay male fan base, which may or may not have been the result of the crazily regular occurrence of full frontal nudity [Eek!]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently discovered a station that runs the old Murder, She Wrote episodes starring Angela Lansbury.

It's nice to be reminded of the practice Lansbury had of casting personalities whose star had set long ago in guest appearances (Dinah Shore appeared on a recent episode).

It's nice also to be reminded that I had made up words to the show's theme song:

Murder, murder she wrote,
And she wrote it fair.
Now ride that bike and catch that fish
And climb along the stair . . . way.
etc.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gilligan's Island
Little Rascals
Three Stoodges
Daktari
In Living Color
F-Troop
Leave it to Beaver
Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres
Gunsmoke

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re "Murder She Wrote":

The one scene from that show that stuck with me is from the episode where a real estate agent kills someone. (IIRC, had to do with money.) When explaining, she said "I was down to my last pair of nylons!" And, of course, Jessica did her classic sorrowful headshake.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MIL loves crime shows and one of the ITV channels here has Kojak, Hawaii Five-O etc. Murder She Wrote is always on, and one time we saw Jerry Orbach guest star. So great to see two Broadway stars together but we were longing for a musical number!

Recently one of our channels was showing repeats of Due South. Still superb, should have been a massive success. And Benton Fraser is the most wonderful character.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just finished Dad's Army, we're now on to Yes, Minister. Perhaps 'Alo, 'Alo should be next...

Do I need to mention Doctor Who? We recently watched 'The Invasion' and are now into .. but perhaps that's for the other thread!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got hooked on MASH which is showing now on one of the UK Freeview channels. I never saw it when it was first on. I'm loving it, though I find the character of the supposed "hero" Hawkeye a complete pain in the ****, shows how much views have changed!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My youngest loves Dad's Army and The Good Life but the boys are not enthralled by 'Allo 'Allo. We're fans of Yes Minister and we all love Agatha Christies, especially David Suchet's Poirot. Lots of vintage Doctor Who here as we are addicts. We rent vintage DVDs from Love Film.
I've also got some favourite 80s dramas on DVD like House of Cards, Oranges are not the only fruit and The Life and Loves of a She Devil. Oranges is probably my all time favourite drama.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I've got hooked on MASH which is showing now on one of the UK Freeview channels. I never saw it when it was first on. I'm loving it, though I find the character of the supposed "hero" Hawkeye a complete pain in the ****, shows how much views have changed!

I find it weird having the laugh track. It was originally shown on BBC2 with no laugh track. I like being treated as a grown up and allowed to decide what's funny!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
we all love Agatha Christies, especially David Suchet's Poirot.

Yes. Ditto for Jane Hickson's Miss Marple.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Andy Griffith Show is my all time favorite. It can be very funny, but the main reason I like it is that I just love all the characters. It's like being with easy going friends. I get the same warm feeling with the not very old but not current, Lark Rise to Candleford.

I agree with Kelly about The Carol Burnett Show, and all the shows that used to run on the same night with it, Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart.

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must be one of the youngest people out there (happy to be proved wrong, I'm 34) who got into the Phil Silvers Show (Bilko) when it used to be on on weekend mornings at about 9am on BBC2 in the early 1990s and now has as many as possible on DVD.

One leg of my all time favourite triumvirate:
Bilko
'Allo 'Allo

and, when push comes to shove the one I'd save from a burning building,
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

'Allo 'Allo is the only one which I watched when it was first broadcast, the other two pre-date me (in Bilko's case by quite a considerable margin!)

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When in doubt, a rerun of STNG (Star Trek the Next Generation). I love talking to Wesley and telling him that we'll chuck him out an air lock.

There's reruns of All In The Family. Archie Bunker is so stupidly hilarious. Such as: he's worried that disabled friend is going to turn into a vegetarian (vegetable), and when he dies, has to do the urology.

Hogan's Heroes. So ridiculous.

But the one I really want is WKRP, which I understand cannot be had on DVD due to the music licensing. I swear I thought turkeys could fly!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
When in doubt, a rerun of STNG (Star Trek the Next Generation). I love talking to Wesley and telling him that we'll chuck him out an air lock.

Ah, yes. "Shipboard Pest", we nicknamed him. I made up words to that theme song too.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been going back to my childhood, as I've found videos in the local charity shops of The Champions (how I wanted to be Sharon McCready, with that very 1960s bun and the ability to hear/communicate telepathically with the other Champions), and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blake's Seven and Morecambe and Wise. Sad but true. I'd also watch Poldark if that ever got re-run - the version with Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees.
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

But the one I really want is WKRP, which I understand cannot be had on DVD due to the music licensing. I swear I thought turkeys could fly!

WKRP is available over here on HuluPlus, I was very excited and sat with tea and biscuits for a happy hour of nostalgia while ACBaby was asleep. Unfortunately my 9 year old self had missed the horrendous sexism the first time round. The outdated attitudes made unwatchable for me this time round and I can normally forgive a lot in older programmes.

[Frown]

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Blake's Seven .....

... Avon ......... [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Eigon: I've found videos in the local charity shops of The Champions
VHS? Can you still play them?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cold Case (1990's-2000's) . I still watch the reruns. I love the female lead character Lily Rush and that it takes place in my city (Philadelphia).

All in the Family (1970's) for comedy.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Blake's Seven .....

... Avon ......... [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]
Ach! (As we say in the Kirk).
It was a long time ago and far away and a very short series (at least where I lived/watched tv) but I've never forgotten him either

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No... I don't think the series would ever have had half the appeal it did without Avon, the galaxy's hottest computer programmer.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:

I find it weird having the laugh track. It was originally shown on BBC2 with no laugh track. I like being treated as a grown up and allowed to decide what's funny!
That's US television for you. If you are a comedy, the network bosses will put a laugh track on it even if the show personnel do not want it there. The show SportsNight (circa 1999-2000) fought hard to not have one. The early episodes do, but the later episodes either have none or it is very subdued (I forget which). And then the network canceled the show for no good reason.

M*A*S*H at least was successful in insisting that no laugh track would be played whenever they were in the operating room. It didn't matter how many jokes were being told--no laugh track when operating.

I have so many old TV shows on DVD to watch when I want. Doctor Who, The Addams Family, a few seasons of Mission: Impossible. Of more recent vintage, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Burn Notice and the aforementioned SportsNight.

One that I did not watch in my childhood but stumbled upon a few years back is the 1954 Ronald Howard/H. Marion Crawford Sherlock Holmes. Simply love it. It is a rare Holmes-Watson pairing where you can really believe that they are friends.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:

That's US television for you. If you are a comedy, the network bosses will put a laugh track on it even if the show personnel do not want it there. The show SportsNight (circa 1999-2000) fought hard to not have one. The early episodes do, but the later episodes either have none or it is very subdued (I forget which). And then the network canceled the show for no good reason.

M*A*S*H at least was successful in insisting that no laugh track would be played whenever they were in the operating room. It didn't matter how many jokes were being told--no laugh track when operating.

I have so many old TV shows on DVD to watch when I want. Doctor Who, The Addams Family, a few seasons of Mission: Impossible. Of more recent vintage, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Burn Notice and the aforementioned SportsNight.

One that I did not watch in my childhood but stumbled upon a few years back is the 1954 Ronald Howard/H. Marion Crawford Sherlock Holmes. Simply love it. It is a rare Holmes-Watson pairing where you can really believe that they are friends.

Am I alone (probably) in coming late to the M*A*S*H party (say post 2000), seeing the film first, and thus just never clicking with the series?

I mean, Hawkeye just is Donald Sutherland...

"I don't know your name stranger, but your face is familiar"

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

I am now watching the Mash film to try and get rid of the ear worm...

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blake's 7 and Yes Minister have already been mentioned by other people, but they get my vote too. And I liked The Champions, but I'd forgotten what it was called.

Does anyone else remember 'The Chinese Detective'? I can't remember the plots of any of the stories and it's probably horridly dated now (when it first aired, casting a non-white character in the lead role was considered very daring) but what I do remember is that I had a huge crush on David Yip...

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Am I alone (probably) in coming late to the M*A*S*H party (say post 2000), seeing the film first, and thus just never clicking with the series?

I mean, Hawkeye just is Donald Sutherland...

Let me join your club. The film is a classic that the TV series could never begin to approach. Perfect casting: not only Sutherland, but Elliott Gould as Trapper John, Sally Kellerman as Hot Lips Houlihan, René Auberjonois as Father Mulcahy, Bud Cort as Boone -- the list is endless! "This isn't a hospital -- it's an insane asylum!"

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too young for its first run, I fell in love with the Barney Miller series when it was already old and hoary a couple of decades later. The characters were wonderful, the ensemble acting of the cast was terrific, and (having lived in Alphabet City a little previously in my own life), found the utterly bizarre situations the detectives dealt with hilariously reminiscent of my time in the Apple.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delighted to see just now "Old shows that still enthrall us - Porridge". And indeed it does [Smile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Gas and Gaiters

Possibly because a lot of it was shot near where I grew up but it was wonderful - Robertson Hare's Archdeacon was a riot and I knew the chap the Dean was based on!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. 'It's the - Dean!' Is still a catchphrase in our house.

[ 27. February 2015, 07:02: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yes! We bought the dvds a few years ago of All Gas and Gaiters (well, the episodes that survive) - might have to dig them out and watch them now.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
quote:
quote:
Blake's Seven .....

Ach! (As we say in the Kirk).
It was a long time ago and far away and a very short series (at least where I lived/watched tv) but I've never forgotten him either

There are four seasons of 13 episodes. They can be found on youtube.

My MASH dvds can be played without the laugh track, but you have to set it up each time you load a dvd.

I also watch the miniseries Edge of Darkness, The Singing Detective, and the BBC dramatisations of Smileys People and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember those BBC TV tea-time serials on a Sunday? Tom Brown's Schooldays, The Last of the Mohicans (with Philip Madoc), the E Nesbit books, some Dickens (I remember A tale of Two Cities and Nicholas Nickleby), Lorna Doone, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure many people who went on to read some of these classics did so having first seen them on TV - certainly Tom Brown's Schooldays is a lot more immediately approachable on screen than on the page!

And the BBC Shakespeare series when all the plays were produced for TV - I'm told one can buy a box set.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In answer to LeRoc, yes, I still have a VHS machine, so I can play videos.
As well as the Champions, I also have episodes of The Avengers (Steed and Mrs Peel), The Man from UNCLE, Kung Fu and the entire run of the Water Margin. "Argh! It is the Tattooed Dragon - and he's ripping his shirt off again!"

And I still fancy Avon from Blake's Seven - though I started watching originally because of Vila. It was the start of the third season, I think, where the Andromedans have attacked and everyone's been scattered. Vila is asking Zen to come and get him, because he's cold, and hungry, and he thinks he's broken his arm, and it was such a contrast to the heroic members of Starfleet in Star Trek that I was hooked.

There's an audio drama (which is free online) called The Minister of Chance, and Paul Darrow plays General Rathen, who is cleverer than everyone around him, and makes lots of sarky comments - and the minute he opens his mouth, you can recognise Avon.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Remember those BBC TV tea-time serials on a Sunday? Tom Brown's Schooldays, The Last of the Mohicans (with Philip Madoc), the E Nesbit books, some Dickens (I remember A tale of Two Cities and Nicholas Nickleby), Lorna Doone, etc, etc, etc.

I remember these from my childhood - I grew up in a fairly strict Brethren household, where we were not allowed to watch TV on Sundays... until my father really wanted to see one of these (can't remember which) so from that point on the rules were relaxed, but only for these dramas. Of course this was in the days before it was possible to record TV to watch it later, something today's generation probably can't imagine!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Channel 4 re-ran The Avengers in the mid-1980s when I was an impressionable adolescent. It's part of my childhood and, being already years old when I saw it, doesn't feel dated even now.

Besides, isn't a bloke in a bowler hat and a lass in lycra far more interesting than a bunch of superheroes?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Does anyone else remember 'The Chinese Detective'? I can't remember the plots of any of the stories and it's probably horridly dated now (when it first aired, casting a non-white character in the lead role was considered very daring) but what I do remember is that I had a huge crush on David Yip...

Yup - a title like that would just get a big "so what?" today, but I remember it. It rubs shoulders in my memory with Trevor Eve as the eponymous "Shoestring", a P.I. working for a local radio station who took on listeners' cases.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All Gas and Gaiters ...

It's funny you should mention that - it was the first show that came to my mind when I saw the thread.

I remember watching it when I was very young - and although I had no clue whatsoever of the church politics I still found it funny. Now, having been involved in Anglican cathedrals for the last 25+ years, I suspect I'd laugh like a drain.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
All Gas and Gaiters ...

It's funny you should mention that - it was the first show that came to my mind when I saw the thread.

I remember watching it when I was very young - and although I had no clue whatsoever of the church politics I still found it funny. Now, having been involved in Anglican cathedrals for the last 25+ years, I suspect I'd laugh like a drain.

Radio 4Extra have played the radio adaptation from time to time, and they are good in sound alone. Noote (the chaplain) is played by Jonathan Cecil in later series, but he carries off Derek Nimmo's character well.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just thinking of programmes that haven't been mentioned yet: Farscape, Terrahawks, Drop the Dead Donkey & Chelsmford 123, American Gothic (so sad there was only ever 1 series). Lots of crime stuff including, Hill Street Blues and Cracker.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I kind of remember All Gas And Gaiters, but I really remember Derek Nimmo in Oh Brother, which I loved. There was a spin off called Oh Father, where he leaves the monastery, but that wasn't nearly as good.

And going back to the Avengers, I think it's Castle De'Ath - the Scottish episode anyway - where every single man in the cast, including Steed, spends the whole time in a kilt, and Mrs Peel wears trousers, apart from the night scenes where she appears to have borrowed a floaty white night dress from one of the ladies in Hammer Horror.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
... Drop the Dead Donkey & Chelsmford 123 ...

Yes yes yes. [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amika
Shipmate
# 15785

- Posted      Profile for Amika   Email Amika   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I've been going back to my childhood, as I've found videos in the local charity shops of The Champions (how I wanted to be Sharon McCready, with that very 1960s bun and the ability to hear/communicate telepathically with the other Champions), and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).

Randall and Hopkirk would definitely be on my list. Such a shame that the remake with Reeves & Mortimer never really worked. I loved The Champions, too, although I didn't so much want to be Sharon McCready as get better acquainted with Craig!

The Prisoner (1960s series of course) is another one I can watch and watch. Sadly my VHS player is on the blink so I can't do any Prisoner watching at the moment. All my Star Trek TOS episodes are on DVD, but not my Next Gen ones...woe!

Posts: 147 | From: Ingerland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

Yup - a title like that would just get a big "so what?" today, but I remember it. It rubs shoulders in my memory with Trevor Eve as the eponymous "Shoestring", a P.I. working for a local radio station who took on listeners' cases.
The Chinese Detective episodes were, and maybe still are, on youtube. I have seen all of the first series recently. There is an interview with David Yip about their social-cultural impact.

I liked Shoestring as well.

I saw some Route 66 episodes recently, but they no longer have the interest they had for a young teenager.

A film club I go to starts with some really old series. We have finished Batman and Robin and are now watching The Lone Ranger. Now I know why he is called 'lone' and why TONTO is his sidekick.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
... Drop the Dead Donkey & Chelsmford 123 ...

I'd forgotten about those - Chelmsford 123 was terrible but at the same time I really enjoyed watching it.

And oh dear, yes, Gus.

[ 01. March 2015, 07:45: Message edited by: Ariel ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Anyone else out there remember Budgie with Adam Faith and Iain Cuthbertson?

Iain Cuthbertson also starred in Sutherland's Law, an interesting drama series about a procurator fiscal and used Hamish McCunn's Land of the Mountain and the Flood for its theme music.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016