homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dogs to grow old with.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Dogs to grow old with.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking to adopt a mid age rescue dog and am requesting some suggestions.
I am a senior, who wants a dog to go walking with and for company around the house for hubby who has limited walking. I live in a rural area so would like to feel somewhat protected by said dog when out walking alone, that is when the bear comes I want dog in front of me barking not behind me whimpering. I am thinking of medium size dog that I could lift in an emergency if need be. I do not like those small dogs who are simply fashion statements and want to spend their day inside sitting on your lap, looking cute. A smaller dog with spunk would do.
Also any suggestions when viewing dogs? I thought I would try simply commands, and ask to walk dog on a leash.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have a breed in mind, or a mutt? If you seek a specific breed there are breed-rescue groups all over. Just google on them.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No breed in mind so that is why I am asking for suggestions from ship mates who want to report on their favorite breed from experience.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a dog that can do all the things you say. But she isn't a breed, I rescued her from the streets.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents had a cairn terrier in their sixties and early seventies. It was a perfect size and energy level for them. Was full of pep right up until his last days and loved to go walking. I met a man earlier today when out with my dog - a border collie mix who needs lots of exercise. He had a cairn terrier and it reminded me of what a great little dog they are.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have three rescue dogs - all small and two elderly. Of those three, I think a fox terrier or Jack Russell would suit you. Brave to the point of stupidity, personality plus, intelligent, love company but can also curl up beside you for company.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a beagle, currently 11 yrs old. He is the second beagle we've had, and arrived to replace a much loved one, now sleeping with happy dreams.

Why a beagle? They have a good temperament, both were good with Dlet even as a baby, can get lots of exercise running around our house land (D Towers is on 2250 sq m, around a half acre), but still appreciate a walk, are intelligent, happy as outdoors dogs and they have a very short coat. This makes them easy to go over for ticks, and although they do shed hair there's not much to shed. When Dog goes on that long walk in 3 or 4 years, we'll probably get another. That should see us both 80 plus and assuming we're still here ourselves, we may get yet another.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never had a dog, but if you wanted to have an interesting half-breed, my friends had a black lab/pit bull mix who was gentle and sweet but very up there and protective of his people when called upon to do so.

He was a rescue dog. They took him from an abusive former owner and by the time he died was the adoring servant of their elder grandchild. So don't discount mixes and rescues, I say.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a few, all mixes apart from the Wire-Haired Fox Terrier we had when I was a child. My favourite was a German Shepherd/Collie cross who was wonderful, very protective, remarkably stupid but also bright when he made the effort. The biggest problem with GSD crosses is the shedding, which is endless but he was a super dog.

Go to the pound and see what there is available, one might just tug your heartstrings in that special way.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most dachshunds, like mine, would bark at that bear for you, "brave to the point of rashness," is in their official AKC description, but the bear might just laugh. I like the Cairn Terrier suggestion, but again, pretty small.

The collie idea is great for protection and gentleness but too big to pick-up when he gets old and sick and has to go to the vet. (Been there with my big collie mix.)

My brother got a nice scruffy terrier at the pound. He was mixed with something that made him medium sized. He was a near perfect dog, I thought.

If you're looking for a pure bred, you might like a Viszla they are the smallest of the Retriever-like sporting group. I'm just saying this because, every year when I watch the Westminster Dog Show I'm struck by how classically beautiful they are.

In short, I want you to get one and show pictures!

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to suggest either a Jack Russell or a Beagle as well. Another option would be a Feist, which is think is a Southern US phenonemon. They are a small dog, bred for hunting, short haired, love activity and attention but are happy to plop in your lap on the couch and snuggle as well. They are usually intelligent and outgoing but protective of "their" people.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about a Yorkie? When they are not combed and shampooed and primped and done up with topknots, but left rough coated, they are great tough little dogs.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would recommend a Boston Terrier, we have one and she would definitely take on that bear in the firm belief that she would win.

Boston's love walks, but they are smaller dogs so they don't need great big walks and everyone that we have had has been a champion napper, they like nothing better than to cuddle up with you once the walk is over.

We get ours from a Boston Terrier rescue society that we found on pet finder online.

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, when it comes to viewing dogs any decent rescue society or shelter will have a good idea of their dogs' temperament. Talk to the people running the place about what you are looking for/can offer a dog and they will be able to steer you towards your best match

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had dogs most of my life (and cats). I am also a therapy dog handler and assessor for therapy dogs. I like to have dogs get to the level where a lead is not required, and voice commands and/or signals regulate behaviour. I do not want dogs which bark for no reason.

Retriever breeds are energetic and for the first 2 years or so of life, generally take a lot of attention and effort. If you can find a retriever mix (not pure bred), this would be recommended, probably 3 or 4 years old, and on the smaller side, say 60 lbs or less. The pure breds have higher hip and cancer risks. Smaller ones live longer, perhaps 12 years. For out walking and protecting, a well trained retriever is a joy. They love people, respond extremely well to food-based training

The others we've had are herders. Right we're down to one, an Australian cattle dog-unknown mix. These dogs take more effort to train, but once they know you're a safe sheep tend to respond very well. I can take her out skiing for 12 or 15 km and she loves it. Shelties make wonderful companions too.

I've considered a shepherd (alsatian), again for the accompanying on walks and skiing. But have limited familiarity.

When picking a dog, maybe resist the urge to take the first one in a group which comes to you. These tend to be the most outgoing dog, but not necessarily the right one for you.

If you get a rescue, do they have a trial period with the dog? The protocol here is apply and get assessed, then visit dogs which are available, followed by taking one home and confirming the adoption after a home visit. The fee is about $200 which covers the expenses.

If you've not had a dog, I'd suggest going to a dog training place and observing a bit. Ask if you can visit. There are also doggie daycares which might allow visits. This allows you to observe differences in temperament among different types of dogs and within type. If there is an off-leash park around, also go there and observe and interact. Smaller dogs generally live longer than larger ones.

Dogs are some of the nicest people I know, present company excepted of course.

[ 26. February 2015, 19:01: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Thanks everyone your suggestions have been most helpful in helping me to narrow down the field, and looking into dogs I had not thought of. Keep them coming.
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine had several Vizlas, one after the other. Lovely dogs, though the last one she had didn't have two brain cells to rub together. They're not that small though - Brock was bigger than my dog, and her weight was about my limit for lifting easily.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Border Terrier might be an option. They're a small dog, easy to look after, very friendly, but pretty tough and not a 'toy' breed at all.

No idea if they'd be crazy enough to take on a bear, but ours were always fearless with far bigger dogs. (And from their perspective, a pit bull may as well be a bear, for all the chance they'd have against it.)

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather than adopting a dog for life, have you thought of "fostering"? This is something many animal shelters in the UK do, with the fostering household being a half-way between the shelter and a permanent home. The usual deal is that the shelter provides food and vets' bills. Some offer training for the foster-owners, which seems like a great way for getting involved with your local animal shelter.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Biased] Well, there was the short clip someone posted on here of a cat fighting off a bear...

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my friends had a dog for many years and it has now died. She feel sad but is aware that he was for many many years.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016