homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Songs that encapsulate your theology/faith position (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Songs that encapsulate your theology/faith position
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of these fit my current beliefs, and others helped me in previous stages, and all have helped with spiritual feelings/support:

--"Morning Has Broken", lyrics by Eleanor Farjeon, music the Cat Stevens version and sung by him.

--"Lord Of The Dance".

--Ditto to "Feed The Birds" *with the visuals from that scene in the film*. Gave me some of my strongest, earliest religious feelings. (I was maybe 5 or 6, I think.)

--"Kyrie", performed by Mister Mister.

--"Sanctus Kyrie", from the film "Jonathan Livingston Seagull".

--Jennifer Berezan's album "Returning".

--"Blow, Gabriel, Blow", by Cole Porter. Used in a great scene in the Porter bio-pic, "De-Lovely".

--"All Creatures Of Our God And King", a hymn based on a prayer of St. Francis.

--"Fly Away With Me". That site is for Jamie Owens-Collins' version of it. I think what I heard, way back in the day, may have been sung by Honeytree, but I can't find it and I don't know who wrote it. But the lyrics are the ones I know.

--"Let It Be", by the Beatles.

and, on days when I'm sick of religious wrangling

--"Imagine", by John Lennon.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re "One Of Us":

This was used as the theme for the TV show, "Joan Of Arcadia", and--there--it was most definitely about God being real.

The show followed Joan, a high schooler, as she started getting visits from God, in all sorts of guises: IIRC, some were a child, a cafeteria worker, homeless person. She'd just come across them in the course of her life, and God would talk to her via them. I don't remember for sure whether God simply took those forms, or spoke through actual people. Really, really good. Unfortunately, it was canceled just as it took an intriguing turn: she met her opposite number, a teenage boy who was being visited by the other side.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl posted something that encapsulated an aspect of the C of E he didn't like.

Funnily enough, (karl and I not having that much in common) I'd sort of agree with him, but the poem that encapsulates everything I'm suspicious of in MOTR establishment C of E (and the two thing go together however much Ken, rest his soul, denied it) is John Betjeman's In Westminster Abbey

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8493441-In-Westminster-Abbey-by-Sir-John-Betjeman

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
nobody but me
Apprentice
# 18084

- Posted      Profile for nobody but me   Email nobody but me   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations on a fab thread. There are tons of songs that have been theologically significant to me whether they were intended to or not and in more or less significant ways. (Enough of a caveat?!) The first that sprung to mind after Brother Sister Let Me Serve You was Move Any Mountain by The Shamen.
nobody but me
Apprentice
# 18084

- Posted      Profile for nobody but me   Email nobody but me   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh and when in that happy place of utter despair over mans's inhumanity to man (and unusually desiring the existence of a bad-ass God) the Man in Black aka Johnny Cash says it for me in Run On For a Long Time.....
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fear my choice may be thought rather frivolous but I get great comfort from this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZCv98XKFs) when life gets more than usually trying.

There are bad times just around the corner

(Edited for link)

[ 11. March 2015, 09:23: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine'.

(The Smiths - That joke isn't funny anymore).

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I fear my choice may be thought rather frivolous but I get great comfort from this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZCv98XKFs) when life gets more than usually trying.

There are bad times just around the corner

(Edited for link)

Me too: and from Sail Away, especially in this arrangement. Used to laugh at that Harry Williams line about finding God in Noel Coward's songs but I now increasingly see what he meant- although actually I think that the ethic there is a noble classical pagan one rather than a Christian one. Still, there's an understanding and a fortitude and underneath it all very often a kindness there.

[ 13. March 2015, 10:48: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to see Harry often as I was growing up, and I well remember him singing The Stately Homes of England.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday Morning by Sidney Carter.
Julian of Norwich by Sidney Carter (on a good day).

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan Bell's Bread and fishes...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another song that is one of my long-time favorites is Soul Asylum Runaway Train. The fact that it is a favorite suggests that the lyrics probably speak to me deeply, and so have a faith involvement.

I think this song reflects how I feel most of the time. I am running the wrong way down a one-way track, because the world, the church, everything is going the other way. But - unlike in the song - this is because I see things differently*.

The song is simple and yet brilliant. I never get tired of it.

*Not necessarily rightly, just that I so often see things in ways that are different to others. Sometimes, this is because I have a different grasp on the truth, sometimes it is because I'm an idiot.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I used to see Harry often as I was growing up, and I well remember him singing The Stately Homes of England.

Wow. That's a real conversation stopper, in the best possible way.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fool
Apprentice
# 18359

- Posted      Profile for Fool     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf, Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult.
Posts: 16 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I heard on the radio this track from Sufjan Stevens, which is due for release this month. The lyrics are typically enigmatic, as aficionados of Sufjan would expect, with the pervading sense of loss and lost which makes him (to me) so interesting. There's no shade in the shadow of the cross.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sopralto
Ship's Zookeeper
# 10245

- Posted      Profile for Sopralto   Email Sopralto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) by the Talking heads, this single line:

"Never for money, always for love"

Those are the words I want engraved on my tombstone, if I should end up with one.

--------------------
Sopralto

Posts: 207 | From: The extreme high intertidal | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice choice! [Cool]

Anyone remember James Taylor? " shower the people you love with love..."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
U2 - She moves in mysterious ways.

A great way of describing the Holy Spirit.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lolly

Ship's Lollygagger
# 13347

- Posted      Profile for Lolly   Email Lolly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Redemption Song - Bob Marley

--------------------
And draw us near and bind us tight
all your children here in their rags of light - LC

Posts: 179 | From: East of the Sun, West of the Moon | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here Beneath the Cross:

Here beneath the cross; what love is this I see
How beautiful the sacrifice of Christ for me
How deep the healing wounds that pierced Your heart for mine
The blood that flows through history the sinner finds
Amazing love how can it be
That You my God would die for me...

...Here beneath the cross my glory I lay down
For I will sing of Jesus Christ and His renown
He has conquered death, the stone was rolled away
My God arose in victory and He reigns today
Here beneath the cross I'll rest for all my days
Buried with my Saviour then forever raised

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes it's Kansas' "Carry on my Wayward Son."

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
U2 - She moves in mysterious ways.

A great way of describing the Holy Spirit.

Yep! Completely! [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Hymnal 1982

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

"Rocky Mountain High":

"Talk to God, and listen to the casual replyyyy..."

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Sometimes it's Kansas' "Carry on my Wayward Son."

YES!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first heard this song it stunned me. So much my own jumbled experience and confusion at the time. "Sunday morning very bright I read your book by colored light" It still goes deep in identification for back then.

Today? The songs I write [Smile] some of which are a bit subversive as to church like my "I'm running off to church but never having any time for praying blues" (about church busyness and needing to stay home to connect with God and get life back on track).

Commercially known songs, I would need not one song but a collection, including "What a Wonderful World".

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Now the Green Blade Rises"
Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016