homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Board Games (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Board Games
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on the Difficult Relatives thread in Hell, the conversation has drifted to board games, and rather than upset the Hell hosts, it seemed a good topic to bring here.

We played Ticket to Ride, Maponimoes and Pandemic over Christmas in a Youth Hostel (having failed to take anything interesting the year before).

The challenge for me is finding something that works for the two of us, and then works when my daughter takes it back to her games playing flat to play with 6, who already have a number of the usual games.

Ticket to Ride - building trainlines across Europe (there's an American version too) I loved - but I was good at that one - you pick up challenge cards and work out how to achieve the routes given. I think the dynamic would be very difficult with 5 players;
Maponimoes, the English version, we turned into a co-operation game trying to work it out and learn the counties, particularly of Wales and Scotland;
Pandemic - trying to role play to beat an virus spreading across the world, really challenging and difficult to win. Another co-operation game.

I also liked the look of Backpacker

Any other suggestions? We are away again at Easter.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Catan is great for 4-6 players. Good strategy and plenty of opportunities to scheme.

If you are wonderfully politically incorrect, then Cards against Humanity can be hilarious. (Be warned, it is not work/family or sanity safe)

Munchkin, again a card game, is a lot of fun for silly people who like making stuff up as they go.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have had a lot of success with bananagrams. My husband describes it as "solo competitive speed scrabble". Its great fun and can be played with most ages (you might need a team or extra house rules for kids under 10 if not confident spellers).my grandmothers love it.

Also popular is Jungle Speed (basically a fiendish multiplayer snap type card game).

Both of those work well up to six or seven players.

For a calmer games, Tsuro holds 8 people comfortably .you take turns to build a path across the board, trying to survive whilst knocking opponents off the board.

If you enjoyed Pandemic, then forbidden island and forbidden desert might work. I can't remember how many they hold though. They might be five player limits.

Eldritch horror is also a cooperative, but a bit darker themed- set in a Lovecraftian world, trying to stop an evil power loosing itself on the world. Its a great game but as I say a bit different in feel from the others.

Final suggestion for now ( I'm a big board game fan, so sorry for such a long post!) Is Dixit. This game has incredibly beautiful cards. On your round, you choose a card and say a word or phrase to describe it. Put the card down in front of you, and everyone else adds a card from their hand which they think the word or phrase describes into the pile. They get shuffled out, and everyone guesses which card belongs to the person whose round it is.
Holds six, or buy the expanded version "Dixit odyssey" to hold more players easily.

Looking forward to reading all the other suggestions. [Smile]

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rarely get to play anymore, but my time in math land introduced me to German(-style) strategy games, like Ticket to Ride. I never became that fond of Catan, which is shame because for some reason it was very popular in the seminary. I introduced people to Powergrid, which is a game that scales well between smaller and larger groups (the rules vary a little bit, so it ends up preserving the feel of the game as the numbers vary).

I think Caylus is actually my favorite game, especially for a small number of players. Gameplay alternates between building the board and playing through what you've built.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In college, we played a lot of backgammon, as two of our group were very good players. We introduced it to our St. John cadets and to Lord P when he was old enough. The great Game of Britain is another railway game, which wasn great at Darllenwr's parents over Christmases past, as Darlenwr's father was a railway buff, as are Darllenwr and Lord P.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly and Risk we don't really play boardgames.

We do, however, play backgammon, cribbage and Mahjong - and the children still play racing demon.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chinese Checkers is a strategy board game that can be played with 2,3,4 (maybe 5) or six players. My sister and I played the 2 player version. We also played Halma which is another strategy game but only suitable for 2 or 4 players.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would add for certain--Carcassonne playable for 2-6 or more (with the expansions).

[ 08. March 2015, 14:59: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scrabble is my game of choice. The normal set comes with pieces for up to 4 players. Has anyone ever tried combining the tile racks from 2 sets in order to play with 6 people. Does it work just as well? It's certainly a brilliant game.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carcasonne is a brilliant game, very easy to learn and playable at lots of different levels.

I like Labyrinth which is quite fast to play but again is playable at various levels -- four competitive adults could get fiendish at it.

I also like Qwirkle which is like scrabble but numerical.

And if there are four of you, Maj Jong is a wonderful game. Apparently in Chinese, the sound of Maj Jong tiles being shuffled is called 'the twitter of swallows'. You don't have to gamble on it, though, as the Chinese do.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I'm not fond of Catan either but I do like Carcassonne.

German board games are very good. One of our favourites is 'Burg Appenzell' - you play a tribe of mice whose job is to run round the castle looking for four different kinds of cheese. The first person who gets four different kinds wins the game, but it's not as easy as you might think to find the cheese without being dropped into the dungeons by the other players.

It's OK for two, though it's better for three or four <rereads OP> Oh, sorry, no good for you if you want up to six players, it has a maximum of four. I suppose in that case the two-player card games such as Jaipur and Lost Cities aren't what is wanted either...

I used to like the Cheapass games (Kill Dr Lucky, etc.), but I don't think you can get them any more.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a drawer full of games and no-one ot play them with. My best friend doesn't do games, so no chess, draughts, hnefatafl or any two player games, let alone multiples.

I remember being shown a game that had been worked out by ordinands at Canterbury, long, long ago, by the name, I believe, of Eschatopoly. Many f the subtleties escaped me - and I wasn't given the opportunity to play it, anyway.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made a wooden playing board, carving out pathways, holes for the pieces, and even whittled the pegs. I painted them red and white.

Don't dismiss this game as too elementary. While the playing rules are extremely simple, there is a lot of strategical thinking and planning involved. Besides, it's fun.

Evidently nearly every civilization has had this game, which tells you something about its fascination. Kids get hooked on it pretty fast, after they find out it's not a 'baby' game.Nine Men's Morris (Merels)

[Small link fix]

[ 08. March 2015, 19:08: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry. Try this: [url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Men%27s_Morris]Nine Mens Morris[/url]

[Link fixed in above post-
jedijudy-mighty link-fixer] [Biased]

[ 08. March 2015, 19:10: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have Scrabble, Monopoly, chess, draughts, backgammon and cards at home. All of which do get played, but youth hostels often have at least some of these so we don't bother carrying them. (And then spend time in a hostel that doesn't have anything to "larn us").

I also have Mancala and Jenga at home, now.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pearl, you might like to try Preview Post to avoid that kind of thing happening. If it still happens in Preview Post, then Tinyurl is a good way round it, because some characters like apostrophes in urls won't code with the ordinary UBB code, however hard you try. But they will if you use Tinyurl.

Nine Men's Morris

Thanks
Ariel

[ 08. March 2015, 18:06: Message edited by: Ariel ]

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Don't dismiss this game as too elementary. While the playing rules are extremely simple, there is a lot of strategical thinking and planning involved. Besides, it's fun.

Which is true of quoridor. The drawback is that it is only 2 or 4 player. Defensive play is always stalemate though, so get your strategy head on.

Quoridor.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Mah Jongg fan here. We have played a complete round of sixteen games a few times but not being Chinese it took about six hours!

Stonewall, from New Zealand, is good, quick and very portable indeed.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the good things about boardgames is the social aspect and the interaction with other people. However sometimes it is just impossible to get a group of likeminded people together at the same time. That is where a site like Board Game Arena come in handy. You can play games like Caylus, Backgammon, Yahtzee, Stone Age, Quoridor. No software to download. My current favourite on that site is a card game called 6 nimmt.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! The new folks in town like board games, so we have been playing Ticket to Ride (N. American map) and Monopoly. Monopoly? But I hate Monopoly. Actually, we have have been playing the playing card version which is really good (it's a much faster game), and it is also very cheap to buy compared to the cost of a board game.
I remember, years ago, playing 10 Days in Africa. It is similar to Ticket to Ride, but with a variety of transport options; I really enjoyed it, but I have never seen it in the shops.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favourite games is Trajan, where you have to Aquire power in the Roman Empire and satisfy the populace, over the course of a year. The game is for 4 players. Setup is a bit complex, but a fantastic game!

I also love Labyrinth. There are several versions, for different age groups.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a board game, but my son introduced us to Mao last night, lots of fun and a real time waster.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't play a lot of board games per se, meaning they have an actual board, although we do play a lot of games. Some of our favorites are (in no particular order)

Bananagrams
Eye to Eye
Taboo
Scattergories
Cards Against Humanity
Apples to Apples
Boggle
Bohnanza

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Cards Against Humanity

This is a magnificently crude game. You have to have the right group though - it relies on players having the appropriate amount of politeness to really wince at the answers. It'd be interesting at a Shipmeet. [Big Grin]

Games that work well for 2-6 players are quite hard to find - it seems tricky to scale a larger game down to 2 people, even if the box says it'll work. You might have some luck on Boardgamegeek. It's huge, it's excellent, and it has ratings for how well games play with different numbers of people.

(One of my favourites is Gloom. Best with two or three people though, it'd not work with six.)

[ 09. March 2015, 01:13: Message edited by: Hiro's Leap ]

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two that I've enjoyed over the years are:

Mille Bornes, where you must lay down cards representing a journey of 1000 miles while your opponent deals you flat tires, speed limits, accidents, stop lights, empty gas tanks, etc. Each such "hazard" has a "remedy" that you must play before you can resume your journey.

Waterworks, where you must lay down pipes connecting a valve to a spigot while your opponent deals you pipes pointing in the wrong direction as well as leaks, which you must repair before proceeding.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Cards Against Humanity

This is a magnificently crude game. You have to have the right group though - it relies on players having the appropriate amount of politeness to really wince at the answers. It'd be interesting at a Shipmeet. [Big Grin]
It works great at the occasional get-together of my grad-school cohort of high school math and science teachers.

Best time: the category card played was "I'm giving up ________ for Lent." One of our fellow teachers played "God," saying, "I am so going to Hell for this." Then she turned to her husband and said, "Oh, that reminds me, I'm filling in teaching Sunday School for so-and-so tomorrow."

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Mille Bornes, where you must lay down cards representing a journey of 1000 miles while your opponent deals you flat tires, speed limits, accidents, stop lights, empty gas tanks, etc. Each such "hazard" has a "remedy" that you must play before you can resume your journey.

Ooooh, a childhood fave. Can't get anybody to play it with me these days, but my mates and I spent many a rainy day playing Mille Bornes all through school.

--------------------

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Truth & Triumph is for people who want to drag their Trivial Pursuit skills into new realms of piety. Similar sort of concept to TP, with only 4 categories: Old Testament, Wisdom, Life of Christ and Church Age. Fun but you need to make sure all players are evenly matched. It got embarrassing when my mother and I played against my dad and sister. We got one question right and proceeded to clean up the board for the next 20 minutes.

It is thanks to this game that Nicolaus Zinzendorf will ever be more known in the Clan Jestocost as Zigazig von Ludendorf.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was fortunate to receive Camel Up for Christmas - it won a "Spiel des Jahres" ( German - game of the year) prize in 2014 and is great fun

I play quite a lot of games, including with a circle of friends who meet once a month for that purpose.
Love Letter is a card based game which is easy to pick up and good for social gaming as you don't need ages to think of your next move and can quite happily chat without losing track. Citadels is similar, though a bit deeper

For full on, hours long gaming sessions I'm a big fan of the Empire Builder series where you "build" your railways using crayons on a dotted board, and then take contracts to ship commodities from one place to another. friends have Empire Builder (USA map) and we have EuroRails with a european map.

There are lots of other "real life" style games where you have to run a farm/port/bazaar/black market business or build a castle etc where it takes an hour to explain the rules and each turn you take needs a good 10 minutes of working out what next - and you only get good at the game once you've played it 3 times (each time needing the same hour to explain the rules to someone ele who is new) - I'm less of a fan of those.

Another intriguing game I got for Christmas is Hanabi - a collaborative game where you can see everyone else's cards but not your own, and you have to work out how to play your cards based on the clues others give you. Hanabi

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to play De Bellis Antiquitatis most of the time which is a traditional miniature wargame but using a 24" square board so it is often misfiled with board games. We often play a square grid variant with card counters which makes it even more boardgame-like. Apart from that it is mainly Talisman, Cosmic Encounter and the odd game of Catan.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Entdecker is a standby - simple to learn, but with enough randomness to keep it interesting.

(It's an exploring game - sail the seas and find islands basically).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two favorite games 'round here have been Poo and Nuts! (OK, both are very silly card games, but I think they're within this thread's remit.)

What could be more fun than flinging (virtual) poo and stealing/defending your (virtual) nuts? [Biased]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another I just remembered is Fluxx - a card game (with a bunch of pop-culture variants) where the rules and conditions of victory change constantly...

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darllenwr's parents had a Mah Jong set and we managed to get a set of our own. Darllenwr still tells the tale with glee of how we went into a large department store in Brum to try and find a set. We couldn't see one, so he decided that they didn't have one. Me, being female, works on the principle of "If you can't see it, ask, as it might not be somewhere obvious". Darllenwr stood and giggled as I tried to understand the broad brummie shop assistant and she tried to understand my Valleys accent. We eventually got a set in Cardiff.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is giving me lots of ideas of what game we need to get next - we enjoy playing board games. My son likes Catan, but I'm not sure sure, but we all like Rummikub. We have several games in the Logo Games series. Lots of product placement, but good fun with a lot of people at Christmas and a glass or two of wine.
I rather fancy getting Mah Jong.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Settlers of Catan (we like the seafarers expansion best)and Carcassone (with river expansion) are favourites here, and we also play Citadels and Agricola. Love letter we played a few weeks ago as my bil brought it to a get together. Board games are our usual Sunday family activity.
As an easy to learn card game we like Bohnanza.

[ 09. March 2015, 19:57: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have about 45 different board games, with our Scrabble game dating to 1980 or so, with all of the score sheets kept with a description of where and when we played, e.g., Me and her, Lake of The Woods, 6 June 1987 in the pouring rain, in the tent, hot and mosquitoey.

Carcasonne has already been mentioned, I think it is the winner for most numerous thus far. We have expansion packages: the River, Inns and Cathedrals, Princess and the Dragon. Highly recommended

Catan - we have the Star Trek version.

Upwords - a letter stacking game to make additional words. If you like word games like scrabble.

Crokinole - not sure if anyone plays much outside of Canada. Our board was made in Manitoba. Description and pictures

Rummoli is another board game with lots of action. We use old buttons for tokens.

Worthy active card games are Asshole (also known as president), Spoons and Thirty One.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local (ish) pub has a board game night every fortnight, and we've discovered a few fun games there - some already mentioned (carcassonne, love letter, cards against humanity). We've also played Dixit which is quite fun but difficult to describe, and Forbidden Island which is a 2-4 player cooperative game.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have played and enjoyed a number of the games already mentioned, but haven't heard of others, so I shall be using recommendations from this thread to look up potential birthday presents for my boardgaming friends.

One not yet mentioned is Bang! - basically a shoot-em-up in the form of a card game and works really well for 5-7 players.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Scrabble is my game of choice. The normal set comes with pieces for up to 4 players. Has anyone ever tried combining the tile racks from 2 sets in order to play with 6 people. Does it work just as well? It's certainly a brilliant game.

Wouldn't you need a bigger board?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Worthy active card games are Asshole (also known as president),

A variant on that one from my college days is the reason I can no longer stand even the smell of Southern Comfort (aka Sudden Discomfort)... [Biased]

[ 10. March 2015, 12:33: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else tried "Here I Stand"? As long as you have plenty of time to spare ....

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have a drawer full of games and no-one ot play them with.

Me too.

I've got a whole bunch of different sorts of game, from Chess to oddities that I've never even had the chance to play once, including some from Cheapass Games that looked a lot of fun, I bought a couple for an orchestra tour back in my musician days, hoping people might give them a go. They wouldn't.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We play lots of board games, as a couple and with friends, and we're beginning to teach our eldest (4) some of them.

I agree it's very hard to find games that work well for both 2 and 6 players. One option is Lemminge (i.e. Lemmings, but it's only published in German atm. It doesn't matter, as the game is non-verbal and there's no text on cards.) You're racing around a track made of several different terrains, and you play cards from your hand that let you move a certain number of spaces across a certain terrain type, and you can make it so that you can add some of the previously-played cards to yours and make huge moves.

Dominion is very popular. You start with a deck of 10 cards, and you take turns to use the cards in your deck to gain more cards, and at the end you score for the victory-point cards in your deck; but early-game you don't want to clog up your deck with those, you want to buy money and actions instead, which will help you get more and better victory cards later on. It's officially for 2-4 players, but if you have two sets, or the base set plus the Intrigue expansion (there are lots of other expansions too but they don't contain the base cards, only Intrigue does), then you can play with 6.

I'd also recommend 7 Wonders, a relatively simple resource-management type game where you build buildings that give you the resource income to build better buildings and so on. It works with 2 to 7 players, and the gameplay is simultaneous so you don't have lots of downtime playing with 7. Admittedly, it's best with 3 or more, and the rules are slightly adapted for 2-player.

Moving away from the 2-6 player constraint, I second the recommendation for Hanabi, the cooperative card game where you can't see your own hand and have to give each other clever clues.

Posts: 554 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got into Agricola here, although its the sort of game you need to learn from somebody as the instructions are mind boggling but the playing is more straight forward.

I like Carcassonne, and also have the South Seas variant, which is different enough to be like a completely different game. I also enjoy Settlers of Catan, and have Settlers of America (only I bought it in Italy so reading some of the cards is somewhat tricky...)

I also like Fluxx, and I confess to enjoying the iPhone variant of Ticket To Ride more than the real life version. Also have Pandemic, and at Christmas played another collaborative game, Forbidden Island. It takes about 45 minutes, and either every one wins, or everyone loses, which challenges the usual winner dynamic. Might be useful in families where there is a particularly bad loser/victim. don't know any of those myself, of course...

If you've only ever played 'traditional' board games, I would definitely recommend some of these interesting newer ones (start with Carcassonne, in my opinion)- particularly the German ones. Really interesting, but not in a 'take all the hours of a weekend away in a game which kills your spirit' Monopoly style. I can't imagine ever wishing to play Monopoly again..

Its amazing how fairly random people can be into board games - put something on your local Facebook page or something to see if you can find fellow players. Its a bit geeky but geeks are cool now [Smile] [Cool]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For 2-6 players I would go for:

Party type game: Apples to Apples (for 4-6 anyway)

Tile laying: Carcassonne (need the 1st expansion for 6 players)

Race game: Ave Caesar - superb chariot racing with ample opportunities for screeching to a halt in front of your opponents and blocking them. I should imagine this is out of print but second hand copies can be had fairly easily

Card game: 6 Nimmt/Category 5

Civilization Building:7 Wonders

Silly Monsters: Fearsome Floors

If the restriction on needing it to be viable for 2-6 players is lifted, then there are many many more options for accessible games, such as Kingdom Builder and Notre Dame, both of which are easy to pick up but have a lot of replay value.

Board and card games are definitely recommended for holidays, they are usually the things I pack first and with the most attention to detail!

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
We have had a lot of success with bananagrams. My husband describes it as "solo competitive speed scrabble". Its great fun and can be played with most ages (you might need a team or extra house rules for kids under 10 if not confident spellers).my grandmothers love it.

I played it for the first time today. It's where you get a naked man in a zipped up yellow suit to.... (oh, wait, that was back in the 1980s) - the game played with letter tiles is much more worksafe. And fits the purposes of the OP rather well as it can be played with only two people or a group of 10 or so. It can be quite intense, though - interruptions can be seen as quite an inconvenience, so might seem rather too serious for those who usually like to have an informal chat between moves.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got really into Bananagrams at Christmas, one of my relations brought a set to our big family get together. At points there was a game going on fairly continuously, but people dipped in and out a bit without it being a problem. We weren't really keeping score though, just playing rounds. So although the play is relatively intense, it need only be so for a few minutes at a time.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to look out for Bananagrams.

Another game I like is 'History of the World', though that doesn't really work for two players; it's best with 3 or 4 though I think you can play it with up to 6. It aims to cover the whole history of the world in 7 turns - you play a different group of people in each turn and your aim is to take over the world! Bwahaha!

It's fun being Genghiz Khan...

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The old standby of The Game of Life always goes down well at our board game nights with the neighbours and it's not bad for two players.

When we were kids we had Rat Race

which we would spend ages playing either with two or the whole family. Massive amounts of fun and family arguments resulted. Sadly it looks like they don't make it anymore [Waterworks] ]

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016