homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Name that kitten (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Name that kitten
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Haile as in the late emperor Haile Selassie seems an appropriate moniker for an Abyssinian moggy.

I agree.

Or if you want a pun, Pushkin, who was descended inter alia from an African, though he may not have come from Ethiopia.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, my mother raised show quality Cornish Rex cats. After much pleading and begging, my younger brother and I were allowed to name a litter of kits *all by ourselves* As a result my mother had the dubious honor of registering one Caiystane's Electric Woodpecker with the CFA [Snigger] . We were not allowed to name any more kittens...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we had cats, we got the kittens from a friend who insisted on the TS Eliot method of naming - so three names, which he entered into the family history. The mother of our two had the everyday name of Mole, so the boys were surnamed MacMole (nobody knew who daddy had been, though he may have been a silver tabby. Grandad Imran Khan was a full Siamese). So our silver tabby was Cathcart-King Greebo MacMole (after an archaeologist who surveyed Welsh castles and Nanny Ogg's cat from Discworld - and cath is Welsh for cat) and the other was Kingston Blackmalkin MacMole (Kingston Black is a local cider apple and Blackmalkin is the helpful cat from The Midnight Folk). We had wanted a 'King' and a 'Queen' - Malkin's original name was Regan, until we found he was a little boy.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Kitty of my former acquaintance was called Cooking Fat, so that its owners could express their displeasure at it in front of the children.

As a slightly more sensible suggestion, perhaps Frost for a silver cat?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother named most of our family cats. We had Floyd ("such a pretty boy" - he was but that was about all he had going for himself), Jud ("pore Jud is daid" and he was all but that when he started hanging around the house), Tazzy (as in Tasmanian Devil, and an even greater waste of catflesh than the others). All of those cats were rescued from the street.

Mom's best name was for the all-white cat she got as a kitten during the Olympics one year. We were watching a lot of the running, and a real star of the year was the great Kenyan Kip Keino. So her white kitten was named Kit Keino. Years earlier we'd had an all-black cat that my sister named Pinky. (He had a pink tongue, natch.)

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
A Kitty of my former acquaintance was called Cooking Fat, so that its owners could express their displeasure at it in front of the children.

[Killing me] Okay, I'm slow on the uptake.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to evryone for their suggestions - we've finally decided to call the new kitten Solomon, which, apparently, is an Ethiopian name meaning "peaceful", according to the list of Ethiopian boy's names I found on the net. Let's hope he lives up to his name!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016