homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The play's the thing... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The play's the thing...
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We try to go a few times each year, but my son is doing Drama at high school and he's seen some awesome productions over the last year or so, eg. Waiting for Godot with Richard Roxburgh, Hugo Weaving and Philip Quast.

Last thing I saw Cyrano de Bergerac, Richard Roxburgh again. He was stupendous. Prior to that was a hamburgered but otherwise excellent Henry V. The prior to that, son was the minstrel in Spamalot.

Next thing is my daughter in Tommy in May. Should be creepy but fun.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go to the theatre a lot. My parents and I have been subscribing to one of the local theatre seasons for over 20 years.

Trying to think of particularly good ones... I'll tell you one that popped into my head, from years go. There's an Australian play called Summer of the Seventeenth Doll which in this country is considered a classic, written in the 1950s. It was probably the 1990s when I saw it, and it lived up to its reputation.

The thing is, though, it's so specifically Australian (which is one of the reasons it was hailed as a classic) that I'm not sure how well it would translate for other audiences.

[ 23. March 2015, 06:32: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the dress rehearsal of a new musical at Seattle Repertory Theater. It's called "The Lizard King" and it's about a gay boy in Seattle who finds love, a ne evil villain and coming to terms with his superpower as a dragon.

It was good. The cast of 3 (including the writer) were in their early twenties. The theater group is trying to "turn over the keys to the kids" and just in time. The artistic director of 20 years and the original director both died during the 2 year workshop period.

The play was on a tiny budget but professionally done, using projections to give it a comic book look.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016