homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Eclipse

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Eclipse
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The media is full of Eclipse Mania just now. The actuality is that the skies are covered in unbroken cloud so we're not exactly going to see a lot of it. Most of us here won't live to see the next in 75 years' time.

The last eclipse about a decade ago was the first real one that I'd seen. The birds shut up as an eerie sort of moonlight spread across the city, and the world went very quiet, except for some bloke in the distance shouting "The end of the world is nigh" from a rooftop. It was all quite impressive.

So - thoughts on today's stellar event? Any interesting anecdotes about previous ones? Did you ever try photographing an eclipse?

nobody but me
Apprentice
# 18084

- Posted      Profile for nobody but me   Email nobody but me   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have rarely had so much fun NOT finding something in the shops. A comically large proportion if shoppers on Thursday were unsuccessfully hunting for eclipse viewing glasses and so were exchanging tips for alternatives. A good time was had by all. Looking unlikely to need them. My six year old might get rather disappointed. Last time around I was walking in the north if Sweden. The birds fell quiet and it was sort of eerie for a few minutes. And as I did not know I was supposed to use special glasses my eyes did not know to sustain any damage....
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thick cloud cover here too. My memory of the last eclipse is not so impressive, Ariel. We all piled out of the office with our special glasses and waited while it - err - got a bit dim.

After a few minutes of hanging around and saying 'It's not quite what I was expecting', we went back into the offce.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last one was awesome - we have a pinhole camera type of apparatus to view it. And it deed feel like an early twilight - weird.

This time, there is cloud cover, but just a hint of a possible break, so I will have to see. The light levels will drop anyway, so you will notice it.

And I fully expect to live to 130 to see the next one....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was stunning - the clouds meant that we could see the eclipse without protection, but we did get a full, proper Cheshire Cat smile.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
The last one was awesome - we have a pinhole camera type of apparatus to view it. And it deed feel like an early twilight - weird.

This time, there is cloud cover, but just a hint of a possible break, so I will have to see. The light levels will drop anyway, so you will notice it.

And I fully expect to live to 130 to see the next one....

Speaking of the pin-hole thing... the last time I saw a partial eclipse I was outside under some leafed-out trees and the shadows of the foliage formed scads of round, little eclipse images all over the pavement around me. Awesome!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather annoyed that a lot of people are claiming this fake as a picture of the eclipse taken from the International Space Station.

In 1999, I was on top of Dunstable Downs and we had a pretty good view of the partial eclipse. We used my Mum's birdwatching telescope to project the image onto some white card. We wiped the dust off the card, but some wouldn't shift. It turned out we were trying to brush away some sunspots! [brick wall]

It had also been a warm day, but nobody had twigged that it would get quite cold.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here the cloudy sky got vaguely darker and it felt much colder - nothing to see. Zadok's astronomy GCSE club had an extra-curricula meeting and his school was also organising a provisional general viewing but I doubt it happened due to thick cloud here.
I had a clear view of the full eclipse in Northern France in 1999. We were on a cliff looking out to sea and it all went quiet, cold and dark and then a few minutes later the birds broke out in a dawn chorus. It was quite magical.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Here the cloudy sky got vaguely darker and it felt much colder - nothing to see.

Same here - not surprising as I think we were only about two miles away from you! My wife remembers watching the last eclipse from an upstairs room at Hampton Court Palace - magical as the shadow crept up through the gardens.

[ 20. March 2015, 10:27: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watched it outside our house with our neighbours using a monocular and projecting the image onto a brown card.

Very effective and no risk!! 86% coverage - it just about got dim enough to confuse the birds..

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's another partial in 2017 - http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2017-august-21

Bit rubbish for us over here but looks good for some US shipmates.

[ 20. March 2015, 11:27: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Virtually a cloudless sky here so I watched it from my kitchen window.

I used the glasses I had from the total eclipse in Cornwall. (Though it was cloudy in Cornwall and we just caught the moment of totality when you don't need your glasses).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were a few nice breaks in the cloud here around the time of the eclipse maximum. It got dark in a greyish sort of way, like one of those bleak days in the middle of winter when it never properly gets light.

I projected the image onto a card through one lens of a pair of binoculars (while remembering to keep the other lens cap on!).

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Here the cloudy sky got vaguely darker and it felt much colder - nothing to see.

Same here - not surprising as I think we were only about two miles away from you! My wife remembers watching the last eclipse from an upstairs room at Hampton Court Palace - magical as the shadow crept up through the gardens.
Are you in Cambridge? It's gloriously sunny here now [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some very good pictures on the "Orkney Past & Present" page on Facebook - they got about 98% up there, and it looked as if there was just the right amount of cloud for taking photographs.

Wish I'd been there ... **sigh**

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw totality! BF and I are eclipse chasers,we are on a cruise ship north of the Faroes. Not our best eclipse, quite a heavy cloud cover but we had a few glimpses of the partial phase and the cloud thinned at totality enabling a beautiful view of the eclipsed sun. Makes totality no. 4 for me and 7 for BF.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 95% at this latitude. And some convenient cloud cover so that it was possible to look at it, and get a photograph. The light was odd - reminiscent as much of moonlight as sunlight.

I think the last I saw I was in Bergen - where it is pretty remarkable to see the sun at all, let alone an eclipsing one.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was absolutely beautiful here. I was driving up the A9 and people had pulled in at all the lay-bys to watch - just enough cloud cover to make it safe, but still dazzling when the sun was at its smallest slice, so to speak.

Heard someone on the radio, amongst all the weird comments, saying that it was important because it shows us how small we are compared to the great forces out there. Reflected that he could almost have been quoting Psalm 8.

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

Are you in Cambridge? It's gloriously sunny here now [Roll Eyes]
[Sighs]. Yes, I was (at Westminster College) - and I know that the sun came out later - grrr!

Now I'm back home, 50 miles further east and still sunny.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our bit of the Flatlands we're not that far north of Cambridge, but the cloud cover here cleared to a clear blue-grey sky and some strange, silvery light. I remember the same quality of the light in 1999.

I took a couple of photos, which have come out better than I expected (they're not brilliant but I don't care!)so I will sleep happily tonight.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was very bright here, so it wsa quite difficult to see the full effect. I was surprised that people in town didn't seem to be interested. I was surpised that we didn't seem to lose any light intensity, though Darllenwr said that he'd been watching it outside work a couple of miles down the valley, and he felt the light had diminished and that it got significantly colder as the eclipse progressed. Lord P joined a friend up on the mountain - said friend has some vefry expensive photography equipment, including various filters, so they watched it through the camera.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Cork it was sunny for about half of the time. We were at work so we made a pinhole camera by sticking a piece of paper onto the window and it projected a lovely crescent onto the wall for us to watch! Looking forward to the next one (there's a partial in a few years time again)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wandered out the door at work around 9.30, and the (already minimal) cloud had just passed by and revealed the sun at that moment, so I got a faceful before I could turn away. So I shut my eyes, as you do, and the light that you see when you shut your eyes after you've had light shone straight in your face was a little crescent shape. That was kind of cool. It felt a bit darker - dusk-like I guess - and a bit cooler, but then given I'm in Scotland it wasn't going to be tropical in any case!

TME was working from home, and projected the image onto a board using binoculars set up on one of the Elf Lass's toy box things. That apparently worked quite well.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it wasn't going to happen. There was unbroken cloud for quite some time then suddenly around 9ish it started to shift.

Around 9.30 a small group of us materialized outside the back door with hastily improvised pinhole cameras made of cardboard. I'd brought my real cameras, but eclipse photography is an art I can now confidently say I haven't mastered. I probably won't get much practice in either. However, the daylight was overlaid with a kind of moonlight glow, the birds went quiet, and what we did see of the eclipse looked satisfyingly like a biscuit with a large bite out of it, so we were satisfied. It certainly wasn’t "breathtaking" or "stunning" or any of those other adjectives the media were busy overusing, but we were too far south to get the full benefit of it.

Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a lovely time at a Stargazing Live partner event in central Birmingham, where they reckon several hundred people turned up. I got to look through a telescope a couple of times, and was chuffed to be able to see the solar flare that developed during the morning (other half declined as he complains he can never see anything through telescopes), but we did our main watching through some projectors. Don't know about the birds, you can't hear them in the middle of Birmingham anyway, but I was surprised to see my camera flash go off when taking a picture of the crowd at maximum.
The best thing in some ways though was the camaraderie among the crowd - chatting to total strangers, asking each other 'where were you in 99?' and passing eclipse glasses round. There was a live feed from the Faroe Islands, but it just showed thick clouds and darkness at totality, so I got BBC iPlayer up on my phone and we shared that with the couple standing next to us!

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You all are so lucky! I've never seen a total eclipse, but have seen three partials.

Two years and five months from today, I hope to be in the path (on a clear morning!) of a total eclipse by traveling north a few hundred miles. That's my plan, anyhow!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Book your hotel at a set price now, Judy. Prices may rise significantly.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are correct!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair, ours the other day wasn't a total eclipse, as totality was a bit north of the UK (Faroe Islands/Svalbard). In Scotland it was around 93-97% I believe, depending how far north you were. Similarly in 1999, the total eclipse skirted the far south-west of the country (Devon/Cornwall) but those of us even a little bit north (I was in London) experienced a 90+% eclipse. I'd absolutely love to see a total eclipse, but there won't be another one in my lifetime in the UK sadly - better start planning my retirement eclipse-chasing [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
You are correct!

BF and I are booked already. We're going to see it at Yellowstone.

But there's one next year in Indonesia ....

[Yipee]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
toadstrike
Apprentice
# 18244

- Posted      Profile for toadstrike   Email toadstrike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi speaking from the Faroe Islands on the good ship Boudicca.

Just had the most awesome experience of my life seeing the total eclipse in full.

It was cloudy at first on Friday morning but amazingly the clouds parted completely about 30 seconds before the first "diamond ring" and gathered again about 2 seconds after the second one. PERFECT timing

Saw the massive corona and Venus on the left.

Absolutely mega-magical seeing it all reflected in the sea.

Still gasping!!!

Posts: 24 | From: Welwyn Garden City, UK | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was cloudy and I was stuck in a meeting - I could see it getting more gloomy through the windows, but that was it. I don't think anyone other than me paid any attention to it, even though I was encouraging the other tutors to teach around it. I did get to teach my student about planetary movement on Monday and we were talking about meeting earlier on Friday morning so we could see it and a plan to do more work later in the week but he then threw a sickie from Wednesday ... I will be teaching Of Mice and Men next year.

However, it was glorious here for the August 1999 partial eclipse, which I did pay full attention to.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by toadstrike:

Just had the most awesome experience of my life seeing the total eclipse in full.

It was cloudy at first on Friday morning but amazingly the clouds parted completely about 30 seconds before the first "diamond ring" and gathered again about 2 seconds after the second one. PERFECT timing

Still gasping!!!

Marvellous!

Photos?

I was in a classroom with 33 kids who had no special glasses - we watched it on live TV [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
toadstrike
Apprentice
# 18244

- Posted      Profile for toadstrike   Email toadstrike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I'd taken photos I struggled for ages with the Baader film stuff on my camera but it was so cloudy during the partial phase I was convinced I was going to miss it.

However the clouds cleared just as the first diamond ring was forming and I was too transfixed by it all to want to grope around in the dark for the camera and turn my eyes away ripping the film off. I just sat awe-stuck at the magical scene.

The sparkly glint of the sun's corona on the waves and the daylight off in the distance is a sight I'll never ever forget.

People's photos don't even begin to do it justice. The corona is so extensive but tails off so you either have the edges of the corona with the middle over-exposed or you don't see the edges at all.

It's completely the opposite to the aurora (which I've also seen on the trip) photos of the aurora are much better than eyesight but you have to be there to see an eclipse.

Job 42:5 applies perhaps....

Posts: 24 | From: Welwyn Garden City, UK | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in the New Forest and the amount of cloud was just enough to prevent us seeing anything at all. 0928 the previous morning and the following day were both clear!

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a video of the eclipse as seen from a plane.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Here is a video of the eclipse as seen from a plane.

Moo

Hi Moo.

It might be a great video but that website is a dreadful purveyor of climate denial junk and crackpottery.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by toadstrike:

Still gasping!!!

Ah ha - Thee and I were in the same place. And I was wondering about Sparrow.

My photos are rubbish (but I've good aurora pics).

Did you not think there was something odd about people who go on a cruise sold on the promise of viewing the eclipse (and the aurora) and then stay in the lounges?

[ 25. March 2015, 17:11: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I am still on the good ship Voyager - enjoying that as I am a Trek fan as well. Since the eclipse we have continued up to Iceland and seen some great auroras, seals, whales and spouting geysers.

Final destination is Belfast tomorrow to see the Giant's Causeway.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad that at least one other ship got that timely cloud thinning - the two others of the same line as the Boudicca didn't, and we couldn't see anyone else from where we were.
One of our astronomers woke in the night, having been going over weather satellite data, with the conviction that we were going to be in the wrong place and needed to head north at speed, and emailed the captain, who, when he woke at 5, read and followed advice.
I'm doing Iceland in the summer. Midge season.

[ 26. March 2015, 16:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016