homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keeping a watch (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keeping a watch
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you still wear a watch? This story indicates that watchmakers could be in trouble, with decreasing sales globally, even though now you can have a watch with worldwide web interfaces.

I stopped wearing a watch when I began carrying a mobile phone. Simply could not see the need for both. But I am curious as to how widespread this is as a habit.

So, do you still regularly strap on a wristwatch, and why?

(Thread title edited out of capitals. Ariel, Heaven Host)

[ 22. March 2015, 05:43: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

I gave up ages ago - too much sweating and chafing under the wristband. At some point I'll buy a fob watch.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My fob watch gave up the ghost some while after I retired, but I bought myself a new wristwatch at Asda for the enormous sum of * gasp *£5!!

It keeps losing the odd 10 minutes or so......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wearing a watch isn't safe on the streets of Latin America. I was mugged once because of wearing one. After that, I never bought a new one.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a cell phone, but since I don't always have it with me, I keep a "pocket" watch. By which I mean a $20 - $30 plastic wristwatch with the wristband removed and any sharp edges filed smooth so I can keep it in my pocket.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some ten-plus years ago, I came to realization that wristwatches tended to die grisly deaths on my wrist. The last drowned in a tropical storm. While still on my wrist. At that point, I swore off both wristwatches and battery operated watches. Since then, I have used mechanical pocket watches. I currently have five of them, some more rugged (for play) and some more elegant (for work). I have a good watch repairman (who has also sold me two of my five) to keep them in running order. I am very fond of the products of the old Illinois Watch Co.

Mind you, if I were independently wealthy, I'd be tempted to risk wearing a wristwatch again for this little beauty. I love mechanical clocks and watches.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've worn a watch every day of my life since I was six years old. I feel naked without one.

My very basic cell phone lives in the bottom of my purse, turned off.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a watch freak, but stopped wearing one several years ago. Not wearing one uncoupled me from obsessing over time. But I still struggle not to acquire more.
And the smart watches are severely testing my resolve.

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

Mind you, if I were independently wealthy, I'd be tempted to risk wearing a wristwatch again for this little beauty. I love mechanical clocks and watches.

I would so hate you for showing me this if I did not already know about it. I love mechanical things. Though that is an unwarranted extravagance no matter how much money one earns.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've worn a watch every day of my life since I was six years old. I feel naked without one ...

Me too. I take it off when I'm using our home computer, as the mouse-pad has one of those padded wrist-rest thingies and my watch (which I wear on my right hand) catches on it.

I only ever check the time on my mobile to compare it with a watch or clock that I suspect may be wrong.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was never good at carrying around watches, I bump into things and lose them, so expensive watches have a painfully short life.

I do have a cell phone and am in the habit of using it as a watch. Many people stopped using watches because they have the cell phone.

However just this month Apple has introduced its new watches which connect to the cell phone. Although they run from a few hundred dollars to many thousand for one in a gold case, they may become popular. Apparently Google is teaming with several high end watchmakers to make competing versions.

The big loser on this is probably swatch and other mass market watches that cost more than 10 dollars.

I do love the mechanical complexity of the high end watches, but it's clearly not the practical solution.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I LOVE my Timex watches but the bands are not made to endure the punishment I put them through and if the band is of a woven type instead of rubber, water and sweat tend to make the band smelly and impossible to get clean. The other kind of watchband breaks in two or chafes my wrist or the clasp breaks. It's too much trouble to always have to pull out my cellphone--it's big and clunky. Any minute now I plan to buy a new watch band for one of the three Timex wrist watches that are in my nightstand! [Biased]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have your cell phone out much of the time, it makes sense to use your cell phone as your timepiece. However if you don't, you might find it annoying (as I do) to fish out your phone whenever you want to glance at the time. Even if I have my phone in my pocket, I find it so much more satisfying to know the time at a flick of my wrist.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I already wrote about this on the thread in Purgatory about people being late. I love wearing a watch and need it for casual teaching and also my holiday job looking after school age kids in a holiday program. Both jobs require me to keep track of the time and also not use a mobile phone while on the job. It would be impractical to carry around a phone and not all my clothes have pockets so a wrist watch works much better, especially when I am outside or in rooms without a working clock. Schools seem to be one of those places where clocks don't always get changed at daylight savings time or have their batteries replaced immediately. Or for months in some cases!

Also I am a really on time person and don't drive, so like to quickly know what the time is so I make sure I don't miss a bus or train.

I don't buy expensive watches. My current one cost about $40 Australian on sale from about $60 and is an analogue watch with a leather band. I often replace the bands and batteries a few times before buying a new watch and find watches in this price range are accurate and last a long time. I think I have had two watches in the last 18 years - which is half my lifetime!

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never liked wearing watches, and always relied on clocks, but I do have the watch that I was given for my 18th birthday and as I haven't used it for years, it still works. In the past few weeks I've taken to wearing it as I decided that checking my mobile for the time (and calls) was a habit I needed to break.

Also, it doesn't look good in meetings to be checking your mobile. Offices used to have clocks on the wall, but that seems to be dying out now, as everybody has a display on their computer or else a mobile phone to tell the time by.

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always worn a watch preferably with a second hand. I depend very much on an accurate watch to tell me the time. I don't often carry a mobile phone as I only use one as my emergency/occasional phone.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got three or four Swatch (tm) wrist watches, which, I'm afraid to say, I never all wear at the same time as I'm not that trendy.

However, I've always had Swatches since the 1980ies, and although they eventually die after some years, being worn out and all that (one I killed in a washing machine! [Waterworks] ), I've come to find they're the most precise wristwatches I've ever had! They're not too expensive, there's a choice of designs, and they're quite reliable.

However, having once tried one with a leather strap, I noticed it didn't agree with me. I got some sort of allergic reaction - which, come to think of it, reminds me of my first wristwatch I received for 1st communion, and which caused a similar problem.

My first wristwatch was mechanic, and supposed to 'recharge' itself by me shaking my arm, or just the daily movements of the wearer. This is something I find mysterious to this day! - Apparently I was so taken by it that at school I was admonished not to look at it every few seconds, or wouldn't be allowed to wear it to school anymore...

I always choose the cheapest Swatch, the all-plastic ones, and it needs to have a second hand and possibly a date and day-of-the-week indicator. Changing the date and day at the end of every month appears a bit fiddly, though.

All in all, I always wear one, except at home. (It can be liberating to look out for clocks, not a watch or mobile, sometimes.) Being an avid user of public transport, I also rely on it when catching a train or bus; that's where the second hand comes in very handy! Mobile phone clocks are unreliable, in my experience, plus the thing is just too big.

So Swatch watch it is, and will be. [Angel]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought it funny that the wristwatch was introduced as a handy little gadget that could be looked at immediately without the fuss of having to take a watch out of your pocket to look at it. Now it's being replaced by a gadget you have to remove from your pocket to look at it. That's what you call progress!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I've got three or four Swatch (tm) wrist watches, which, I'm afraid to say, I never all wear at the same time as I'm not that trendy.

I once saw a woman on a bus who was wearing four watches, two on each wrist.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ariel: I once saw a woman on a bus who was wearing four watches, two on each wrist.
I've seen instances where expats wear two watches. For example, a Thai friend of mine living in the UK wears one watch set to Thai time, and one set to UK time.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear pendant watches because my skin can't stand a wrist watch. Anything which prevents sweat from evaporating from my skin gives me a rash. It's a nuisance.

Pendant watches are currently not in fashion, which means they are hard to find and the selection tends to be unattractive. [Frown]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents got me a nice watch for high school graduation, which was promptly stolen by one of my college dorm mates. That was the only nice one.

My wrist is way to small for over the counter cheap ones so I keep a five dollar child's watch in my purse for those rare moments when I need to know the time.

I've never had a cell phone so I didn't know they had the time. Finally, I see a reason to get one.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Twilight: I've never had a cell phone so I didn't know they had the time. Finally, I see a reason to get one.
Mine also has a built-in torch! [Smile]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear a wristwatch every day and have done since my seventh birthday.

At the moment I have 3 watches which I alternate depending on what I'm doing:

1. A simple watch (with second hand) on a black leather strap which I wear for work - the second hand is useful for checking tempi.

2. A cheapo sports watch that is waterproof which I wear during the week: it means I don't have to worry if I go swimming or am mucking about with the boat.

3. A smarter watch I inherited which has a gold expanding strap - sounds grand but really isn't: worn for short bursts only because the metal strap brings up a rash.

I don't have expensive watches for the simple reasons that they don't work on me (had a relatively expensive one once which proceeded to go backwards, something to do with polarity?), plus no one has ever offered to buy me a Rolex (or similar).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know what people mean about feeling naked without a watch. I'm just so used to being able to glance at my wrist and see the time; having to get my phone out and tap one button seems like far too much effort. Plus, everyone would know that you're looking at your phone, whereas a watch can be checked much more discreetly (especially if you turn it so as the face is on the 'artery side' of your wrist.

I also have a separate sports watch for exercise.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to wear a watch but would take it off and play with it which meant it went missing regularly. Once I found it at church and my dad suggested that if I was female then we could have sung the hymn "Lord, her watch thy church is keeping".

In the end I stopped wearing a watch because it got irritating to have it on my wrist. I generally look at clocks or I don't worry about what the time is.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Adam.: Plus, everyone would know that you're looking at your phone, whereas a watch can be checked much more discreetly
I understand that PhysEd teachers (who aren't always in a classroom with a clock) prefer to use a watch rather than a cell phone for this reason. They don't want their pupils to see them thinking "When will this hour be over already?"

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
...Plus, everyone would know that you're looking at your phone, whereas a watch can be checked much more discreetly (especially if you turn it so as the face is on the 'artery side' of your wrist.

Exactly! Much easier to be discreet.

I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist also -- and here I thought I was the only one. [Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is easier to have a quick glance at my watch that to get out of mobile. So when i am doing spiritual direction, I can keep an eye on the time without giving the expression that I am bored with the person who is with me.

When I was a teacher, I sometimes banished student teachers from my classroom if they didn't have a watch. They were not allowed to return until they got one.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've worn a watch every day of my life since I was six years old. I feel naked without one.

My very basic cell phone lives in the bottom of my purse, turned off.

Same here! I never realised how often I glance at my wrist until I forgot to put my watch on one morning!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear a watch, and it has to be analogue, not digital! Recently I was given a new one for my birthday. Technology has moved on in the 25 or so years since I last got one: now the movement of then wrist will keep the battery eternally charged, or so it says.....

My kids OTOH rely entirely on their phones.

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear a watch, and always have. I briefly went digital back in the 70s when it was a thing, but moved back to the classic type very quickly.

I was given a watch for my 50th birthday that I wore daily for 10 years, before it finally gave up the ghost. It charged itself by solar power and always kept accurate time. (One of the best gifts I ever got.) Now I've had to replace it, and I'm wearing a cheap Timex. I can't get used to fishing my phone out of my pocket to check the time.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find them uncomfortable and end up taking them off, but I have two really nice ones and wear them when going out 'dressed up'.

My son's watch cost a month's wages, and he has his eye on one which costs an eye-watering sum. He certainly has a posh-watch fetish. I don't think makers of high end watches will go out of business.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely wear a watch. I can glance at my wrist and not have to dig around for my phone. Searching or even just reaching for my phone takes time and requires use of my hands, when I might be doing something else with them. It's the reason people started wearing wristwatches and fob watches became passé. We're going backwards.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooops, I see now Spike made the progress/regress point. Sorry; didn't mean to encroach.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I wear a wristwatch and have done for years. I put it on when I dress in the mornings and don't take it off until I go to bed (unless I'm doing something very unusual like going swimming [Eek!] ). I like having the time available to me - while I carry a phone I wouldn't think to look at it for the time (it may be on British Summer Time, it may not, I haven't looked).

My wristwatches have to be analogue, and to have Roman numerals. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cathscats:
I wear a watch, and it has to be analogue, not digital!

Do digital watches even still exist?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me Google that for you ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't worn a wristwatch for years. I went through a very stressful time, and my watch kept stopping, or being an hour slow. My mum took the watch to a watchmending friend of hers, who took it apart, put it back together and said: "There's nothing wrong with this watch - it's her!"
So now I have a pocket watch in a little leather case.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is much more fun at meeting to tell the group that it doesn't matter what time their watches say because mine is right. I have an atomic radio signal corrected watch. Such conversations are over by the time the cellphone people have gotten their thumbs out and assumed the phone zombie posture.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I break them (very dyspraxic, I bump into everything and walk into doorposts on a regular basis). No watches for me. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Let me Google that for you ...

That wasn't a serious question. It was one of those "do people really still do that?" type questions, so I didn't really need a serious response. If I genuinely wanted to know about digital watches, I'm perfectly aware of the existence of Google.

[ 22. March 2015, 19:49: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I regard watches as a kind of jewellry - to be chosen as much for aesthetic appeal as function. My current one is green woven strap, gunmetal surround, plain face with numerals in a sans serif font - very legible and with a slightly retro feel.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I received my first watch for my seventh birthday (times with red and white striped strap) and wore one daily from that time up until about fifteen years ago when I first started carrying a mobile phone. I think I may have worn one about four of five times since.
In theory I still have a watch but it languishes in a drawer somewhere and I have no idea of its whereabouts,
I always found wristwatches uncomfortable, I'm not keen on bracelets either, and I've broken a few by neglecting to take them of in the bath or shower.
I do like to see a man with a pocket watch though

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear a lovely sterling silver watch that was my mother's 18th birthday present to me. It has a simple, dark navy face, with numerals at the four common points and silver 'notches' in between. No second hand.

I love it and panic when I look down and it's not there (until I remember taking it off to wash up, or whatever).

I'll soon be 33, so it's doing quite well. My sister says it's antique. I have to remind her she's only two years younger. Cheeky whippersnapper.

Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Do you still wear a watch? This story indicates that watchmakers could be in trouble, with decreasing sales globally, even though now you can have a watch with worldwide web interfaces.

I stopped wearing a watch when I began carrying a mobile phone. Simply could not see the need for both. But I am curious as to how widespread this is as a habit.

(Thread title edited out of capitals. Ariel, Heaven Host)

Quite right - no point at all in having both. So ... a watch it is!
Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents gave me my first watch on my eighth birthday. It was a blue Cinderella watch and had a little porcelain figure of Cinderella in a blue gown that went with it. For a long time they were my most treasured possessions! This was an old-fashioned stem-wound watch, and it was a family morning ritual for all of us to wind our watches at breakfast time. (Hadn't thought of this for years!)

Unfortunately, as I matured, my body chemistry started wreaking havoc with watches and other things made of metal, especially nickel. If the watch back isn't all stainless steel, it will corrode very quickly. Then, my skin under it will go completely raw. And very itchy. But, I still wear watches every day. (Analog, of course!)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For many years (35 now, I think) I've worn a stainless steel watch on a stainless steel bracelet. The first two were Seiko Quartz (the first a leaving present; the second a Christmas present replacement).

When the second expired after some 13 years, I was given a Citizen Eco-drive - with a built-in solar recharging system. I've had this now for 8 years, no replacement battery and it keeps pretty near perfect time.

It's really much simpler than getting the mobile out of its belt holster! Plus the watch goes on in the morning when I put on my spectacles, and comes off at night before I go to bed. I don't always bother with the mobile ...

And like some others I wear it 'face-in'. I started doing this at school, after I'd damaged a watch by scraping it several times along the walls of school corridors.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I threw away watches with great joy when I received my first cell phone (a hand-me-down iPhone 3 from one of my kids).

Like many others, I have sensitive skin and hated enduring the itchy rashes many types of watches would give me.
Secondly, I had small wrists and they would invariably flop into the washing up water, paint or catch on whatever crafty thing I happened to be attempting. I was always losing or breaking them.

As I aged, though my wrist size did increase slightly, my eyesight got long. So the numerals and faces had to get bigger. I do not like big watch faces and never have. The iPhone is perfect for me - though it may soon be replaced by a fablet.

I also hate being tied to the tyranny of time, and throwing away my watch(es) led to a newfound freedom. Now I only check the time when it is very important to keep an appointment. Life is much more relaxed. Vive le retirement de Chronos!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a timex with an expansion bracelet when I was a young man. I am on my 5th or sixth one now. At various times I have had a digital (Only bought one because I swept my 3rd Timex into the toilet [Eek!] My sister gave me a nice watch about 8 years ago, and up until a few years ago I wore it in Canada when the strap disintegrated. Now I am back to Timex and will wear one until I die (Cost has risen from $15 to 75) Don't like clasps or buckles - they are too fiddly.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still wear one all the time. In fact it's often still on when I sleep, because I'm short-sighted as hell and reading the alarm clock next to my bed is impossible from a normal sleeping position.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016