homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Reading (the place, not the activity) eating places

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Reading (the place, not the activity) eating places
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tapping into the massed wisdom of the Ship - is there anyone living in the Reading area who could recommend an eating place not too far from the crematorium there? A group of about eight of us will be gathering from different directions to attend a funeral in the afternoon and would really appreciate any recommendations for somewhere to eat together afterwards before going our separate ways.

Oh, and I might have omitted to mention the word "inexpensive".

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mcdonald's.

[Killing me]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smudgie, will you wait until he gets there in April and slap him yourself or do you want me to do it for you?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weasel, why waste time arguing, why don't we BOTH do it?

Are there really no shipmates in Reading or who know Reading?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to help, but I've only been in Reading once, and it was about 20 years ago. We did have a rather excellent Indian meal IIRC, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant.

Google provided this, if it's any help.

Good luck!

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a Travellers' Rest (pub) on Henley Road but I don't know anything more than what the various reviews on Google say. Which day will you be in Reading? I know someone local I could ask, but won't see her before Wednesday, which may be too late for you.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to live in Reading, but I moved somewhere more interesting 12 years ago so all my information about restaurants is out of date. And I have no idea where the crematorium is...

There used to be a selection of (fairly) inexpensive places - mostly big national chains like Bella Pasta - in Broad Street and Friar Street (aka the Street of a Thousand Pubs), near the railway station. However, if you are all coming by car it would be better to find a pub near the crem. The one-way system was terrible when I lived there and my spies tell me it has got worse since then.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just east of Caversham. If you go down All Hallows Road (which is where it is) into Henley Road, that's where the pub I mentioned is. But again, no idea how good it might be.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that explains why I didn't know where it was - Caversham is the posh end of Reading, so I never knew anyone who could afford to live there [Biased]

The Bird in Hand at Sonning Common used to do nice meals, but as I explained above, the last time I went there was over 12 years ago... and you'd need a car to get there.

[ 19. January 2015, 19:15: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Tapping into the massed wisdom of the Ship - is there anyone living in the Reading area who could recommend an eating place not too far from the crematorium there? A group of about eight of us will be gathering from different directions to attend a funeral in the afternoon and would really appreciate any recommendations for somewhere to eat together afterwards before going our separate ways.

Oh, and I might have omitted to mention the word "inexpensive".

I have lived in Reading for two years now, but I'm afraid me and my family tend to not eat out much. The London Street Brasserie is pleasant, but perhaps a bit pricey? Along the riverside of the Oracle you can find half a dozen different restaurants, among them one of the wagamama chain, if you like "Asian fusion". The good thing there is that if you don't like the look, you can just walk to a different restaurant. A bit closer to the crematorium is Quattro, a decent Italian restaurant.

I'm currently alone at home, so if you ask me nicely I can go for some exploratory eating at some other place next weekend. [Smile]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I left Reading at about the same time as Jane R. However, the Standard Tandoori near Caversham Bridge is at the right end of town and used to be a staple of works outings and such back in the day.

More recently, I've had a nice meal at Bel and the Dragon though that's a bit further away and not particularly cheap.

As IngoB says, The Oracle, while soulless will furnish you with a variety of chain-y options.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Having now asked someone local, your choice does look pretty much like either the Travellers' Rest or you would need to venture further into the centre of town.

Hope all goes well on the day!

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Thank you for your help - whoever would have thought that Reading would be the place where shipmates leave.
It looks as though we will be having a look at the Travellers' Rest then (thanks Ariel) as we will not really want to venture far into Reading. We will appreciate your prayers for the day.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016