homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » RIP Leonard Nimoy

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: RIP Leonard Nimoy
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sad loss - but so many great memories. [Votive]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
83, somehow it's very hard to visualize him as being that old. What an iconic actor.

RIP [Votive]

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Real sad to lose such a superb actor. Spock was his eternal memory, but he was always engaging when he appeared in what ever role - even as himself.

Live Long and Prosper.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of people, ranging in age from those in their 80's to teenagers, are going to be sad today. Childhood memories for many of us.

A good man by all accounts.

So many quotes from his career and he pulls off a stunning one in his last tweet.

[Votive]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
A lot of people, ranging in age from those in their 80's to teenagers, are going to be sad today. Childhood memories for many of us.

A good man by all accounts.

So many quotes from his career and he pulls off a stunning one in his last tweet.

[Votive]

What was it? I don't do Twitter.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
Came out on Feb 23

[ 27. February 2015, 17:15: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Live long and prosper. Welcome aboard Starship Heaven. [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

That follows a day after he posted a love poem from one of his collections

The poem is titled

You and I Have Learned

As its a whole work, I wouldn't post it, but its worth a google search just to figure out the mind of the man in the days before he died.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
83 years young. Wow.

I recall vividly all of us learning to do the Vulcan hand gesture with TOS. It was a common thing to try to mild meld with women I dated as well. To see if the two could become one etc.

Live long and prosper Len.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP Leonard Nimoy. [Votive]

Mr. Spock will live forever.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
That follows a day after he posted a love poem from one of his collections

The poem is titled

You and I Have Learned

As its a whole work, I wouldn't post it, but its worth a google search just to figure out the mind of the man in the days before he died.

Here is a link, then.

He may have been saying goodbye for months, as this article suggests.

May he rest in peace and rise to life eternal. [Votive]

[ 27. February 2015, 19:33: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leonard Nimoy, he lived long and he prospered. RIP

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have very happy memories of Trek Soc meetings on Tuesday evenings when I was a student. And the never-ending Spock vs Kirk debate.

RIP Leonard Nimoy; LLAP Spock

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Star Trek was such a ground-breaking show that its influence can be seen in so many areas: Apple lost a court case because the show had tablets back before Apple was born; it had the first on-screen kiss between a white man and a black woman; the list can go on and on and on.

AND, Leonard Nimoy was an integral part of that: I've read somewhere that many of the social issues raised in the series, even before he became a producer, were often his suggestions for inclusion.

Leonard Nimoy - a life well lived! Now, for the final beam-up!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps this is his finest tribute? Carl Sagan had his hand, rightly acknowledged, but so many people involved had surely been inspired by the cast of Star Trek...

May his spirit boldy go.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for him, his loved ones, and all who care about him.

Here's his photography site. (I'm having an awful time loading it. Not sure if due to an overload of grieving fans, or a tech glitch.) NOTE: Some pics may not be work-safe. He took many nude pics.

[ 28. February 2015, 01:51: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That site doesn't want to load for me either.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re "ST:TOS" and influencing social change:

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a huge Trekkie, and convinced Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) not to leave the series, because of all the good she was doing.

When the original series was canceled (not sure which time), Fr. Andrew Greeley wrote an essay, saying that the network had committed a (mortal?) sin, because the show was the closest thing we had to a morality play.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
That site doesn't want to load for me either.

I was periodically able to get parts of it up. Main things I wanted to see were pics from his photo book "Shekinah"--she's the feminine aspect of God in Judaism. LN took pictures of women that were both mystical and sexual, to illustrate the Shekinah.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Official White House statement: "Obama: I love Spock".

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GK's site linked above is loading for me now, after I shortened it to the main url, the LN pages, however, may still take a while. A wormhole must have opened for GK to peek through? All the beings and creatures from faraway galaxies trying to access? A blockage of universal proportions?

BTW - I'm somehow getting Messrs Nimoy and Cohen mixed up in my mind, which leads to some rather interesting mental images! [Big Grin]

[Angel] <--- possible AngelFleet Logo?

[ 28. February 2015, 03:38: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It loaded for me second try but I did not explore too far as I have a connection which has decided it wants the weekend off and is being maddeningly temperamental - it's got a temper which is driving me mental!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Romulan interference, ya think?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

This Google mirror of the photo site works a bit better.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP. [Votive]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first crush. [Tear]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It says something that there is an official tribute from NASA.

LLAP, Spock [Axe murder]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been asked to post across the posts from the other Leonard Nimoy thread, which I closed so here goes:

Sparrow:

quote:
I just posted on the Death Pool thread but I think he deserves a thread of his own: Leonard Nimoy has died.

Jedijudy:

quote:
[Waterworks]

It is with a heavy heart that I move this to All Saints where memorial threads reside.

He was Spock.

I am honored to be one of Mr. Nimoy's honorary grandchildren.
jedijudy

Nicolemr

quote:
RIP Leonard Nimoy. [Votive]

He will be very missed.

ChastMastr

quote:
quote:

I am honored to be one of Mr. Nimoy's honorary grandchildren.

Please tell us more, if you can.

[Votive]

Jedijudy

quote:
There was a time, (a couple of years ago, perhaps?) when Leonard Nimoy said that he would become an honorary Grandfather to those who tweeted him asking him to do so. I did and he is!

[Axe murder]

Even though he was young at the time of my birth!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I read that as 'I was young at the time of my birth', which is certainly true.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I read that as 'I was young at the time of my birth', which is certainly true.

Unless one believes in reincarnation.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JoannaP:
quote:
And the never-ending Spock vs Kirk debate.
[Ultra confused] You had a DEBATE?!? It's Spock - no contest.

[Waterworks] [Votive] RIP Leonard.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
JoannaP:
quote:
And the never-ending Spock vs Kirk debate.
[Ultra confused] You had a DEBATE?!? It's Spock - no contest.
Well yes, that was what I thought but one of my friends disagreed [Confused]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Memory eternal [Votive]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He has crossed the Final Frontier at last.

Spock was an iconic character that Nimmoy willingly allowed to take over his life - I can only imagine how ridiculous that became at times. Who can ever forget the "whale" Trek movie?

The character will live on, thanks to his engaging fleshing out of the role. But the cameos will be sorely missed in future.

He lived long and caused many to prosper. RIP.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless his heart, I'd forgotten about how many times I posted this very, very silly link years ago on the Ship, and have now rectified it. If anyone feels too somber, this may provoke a smile.

[Overused] Rest in peace, Mr. Nimoy. [Overused] [Axe murder]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re willingly let Spock inhabit his life:

Not always. [Smile] Back in the '70s, IIRC, he wrote a little book called "I Am Not Spock". He really tried to get away from Spock after ST ended, but his career couldn't get past it--and he was not happy about that.

Later, though, he wrote the sequel "I Am Spock". [Smile]

In the first book, IIRC, he mentioned that he would *be* Spock all day, every day of the work week. (Due to his acting method.) On the weekend, he'd let Spock go--but then he'd have to take him back, so he could be ready for work on Monday. Hard on both him and his wife, IIRC.

He also used to ride a bike, when he was doing ST, and there was an ongoing prank of hiding his bike--once, hanging from the studio ceiling!

Oh, and does anyone else remember his "In Search Of..." TV series? He was the voice-over host; not sure if he was ever on screen. Anyway, it examined a different mystery or anomaly each episode--Amelia Earhart, Nessie, UFOs.

Chast, thanks for the link. I know the song from long ago, from his record "The Flip Side Of Spock". There's another great track on there, where he's an alien talking about Earth, and Earthlings moving out into space. He wound up with "There goes the neighborhood!"

[ 02. March 2015, 08:35: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know whether this is an appropriate place, but [Votive] for William Shatner, who is getting a lot of flak for not going to the funeral due to a prior engagement. If the Nimoy family can forgive him for not being there, what business is it of anyone else?

Sending another family member as your representative (as my mother-in-law did when her sister's husband died) is perfectly acceptable. Even Emily Post would agree.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Yeah, Shatner had a previous commitment to appear at a Red Cross fundraiser the night before the funeral. ISTM a lot of the reaction was grief, plus preferring Spock to Kirk, plus Internet nastiness. Maybe also because there was a stretch of time when Shatner reportedly didn't get on all that well with the other core actors. But AFAIK, that was settled long ago. I don't understand the journalists and media outlets that lashed out at him, though.

I didn't know until I saw Jane's post that Shatner's daughters were going to the funeral. I don't think that was in the first couple days of news stories. But it's great that they went.

Here's a good article from CNN (via another outlet) that details the situation, and has a long list of Nimoy's bio details at the end.

Oh, and Shatner tweeted that Nimoy had been "a wonderful uncle" to his daughters.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016