homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » pcc secretary

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: pcc secretary
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

I am about to become PCC secretary. Does anyone have useful hints/tips they could pass on, please?
All advice gratefully received. Thanks!

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean, other than 'Don't!'

Mrs. S, ex-PCC secretary and never going back [Devil]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd probably agree with the "Don't" but then it might not be all bad.

A suggestion is to introduce something from the Quaker Business Method [I was Clerk to my local meeting for a while] and at the end of a discussion prepare a draft minute and ask if that is okay - yes, it takes time BUT it saves oodles of time next meeting where folks can't argue about a minute!

Talk to the PP first but if they agree it will save you no end of angst.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember that none of it is that important. Don't let it get to you. And never think of the PCC members naked.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi recklessrat.
There are some really good internet resources and various diocese have their PCC secretary handbooks online. There are also books and so on giving the rules and regulations of PCCs which are sometimes useful to have access to if any queries around procedures arise.

Remember that while minute taking is often a large part of the role there are other responsibilities, I don't say this to scare you but hopefully to give you a confidence in your new role as an office bearer.

Good luck!

Choccie (also an ex PCC secretary)

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been secretary of various groups in my ignorant youth, not of PCC.

All I know is *I* cannot take minutes and participate in the discussion, both at once. Trying to do both in a meeting is frustrating and means neither is done well.

Also, people come up with lots of additional duties they assume is the secretary's job. Be ready to fend off assumptions you are the dumping ground for work.

(Assumptions come from the work environment where the word "secretary" means "makes phone calls, writes correspondence, reviews and improves correspondence and articles and speeches written by the bosses, files and retrieves papers, fetches coffee, and other duties as assigned", a lot more than "takes minutes" which is how the committee position is described when recruiting.)

Advices I have read, but I don't know if everyone agrees, are: (1) keep the minutes short, one page if you can, people will be pleased not to have to sit through detailed minutes review; (2) be sure to name people in the minutes and what they did, not just state what was discussed or decided; people like to be recognized and like to hear their name. (#2 may contradict #1.)

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just do what you're supposed to do and don't let anyone interfere. Ensure agendas are prepared and circulated in advance of the meeting, along with any supporting documents. Also, record the minutes accurately - i.e. what was discussed and what was decided, not what the Vicar, or anyone else, think should have been discussed and decided.

If you're not sure what your role involves there's information on the Church of England's website.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all. I thought that 'don't' might come quite high up there!! I esp like the suggestion of mentioning Pcc members by name in minutes, there's a few I can think of who would like that! Naked though - terrifying!

I've been told I can be secretary without becoming a proper Pcc member and I think that's what will happen. I guess this may limit my scope for actual input into meetings? I probably need to check diocesan stuff surrounding being a trustee etc - I'm not sure what the deal is with that.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by recklessrat:
I've been told I can be secretary without becoming a proper Pcc member and I think that's what will happen. I guess this may limit my scope for actual input into meetings?

Probably if you are there you can toss in your 2 cents on occasion. I've showed up at (not PCC) committee meetings and been asked what I think. Non members don't vote, is all.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I've been told I can be secretary without becoming a proper Pcc member ...

That's probably the easier option - that way you can concentrate completely on recording the minutes of the meetings without having to think what your own opinion (and how you'd express it) might be.

I have no experience as a PCC secretary, but for several years I've been the Recording Secretary (a post with a small honorarium) for the local Anglican Cemetery Committee, which looks after the two Anglican cemeteries in St. John's.

I don't have to have any input apart from taking minutes and distributing them, and my usual practice is to type them up as soon as I get home from the meeting and e-mail them to the Committee chairman, who makes whatever amendments he thinks fit, sends them back to me and I send them on to the members.

Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was PCC secretary, our vicar's wife was also on the committee. We'd be wombling along in the approved Anglican manner, towards the end of the agenda, and then - quite suddenly - she would fish some papers out of her capacious handbag and completely derail whatever discussion we were having [Eek!]

Those days are gone, but what we have now is a situation where sub-committees discuss issues and report back, in theory for the PCC to rubber-stamp.But no - the PCC insist on then chewing over the whole boiling lot AGAIN [Mad]
thus completely negating any time-saving achieved [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Mrs. S - and breathe ....

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The old saying is that the perfect committee has just three members, one of whom is off sick and another of whom is away on holiday.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are, as suggested upthread, people who are utterly agenda-blind. This is not just a PCC phenomenon- these menaces can pop up anywhere. If you can, as soon as you feel comfortable in doing so, assert the importance of sticking to what is on the paper, and getting through it reasonably efficiently, you will be doing the PCC a great service.
It depends, of course, on the nature of your relationship with your chair (PP), but do not forget that yours is potentially a very influential position, for good or ill. Remember that Stalin and his imitators were all 'General Secretaries'!

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks all. I thought that 'don't' might come quite high up there!! I esp like the suggestion of mentioning Pcc members by name in minutes, there's a few I can think of who would like that! Naked though - terrifying!

I've been told I can be secretary without becoming a proper Pcc member and I think that's what will happen. I guess this may limit my scope for actual input into meetings? I probably need to check diocesan stuff surrounding being a trustee etc - I'm not sure what the deal is with that.

There are advantages in the PCC Secretary not being a voting member. You can be seen as there to record accurately and impartially. I don't think you'd be a trustee unless you were a full member of the PCC. Trustees are legally responsible and can be made personally liable for their decisions - which is why things need to be done properly.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cultivate your predecessor, if he or she is still around. I took over from one of the matriarchs of the parish when I became PCC secretary. She had resigned some time before and someone else had taken the job on, but the matriarch wasn't fully satisfied with her and at one point they had a fight (though fortunately by phone). The new secretary eventually resigned and the matriarch took over again as acting secretary, as no one else wanted the job. I foolishly thought that this would be a good and self-sacrificial thing to volunteer for, and made a point of deferring to the matriarch when I started and asking her advice, which worked pretty well.

I can't give you any more sage advice as some weird stuff blew up - it was a fairly dysfunctional parish - not long afterwards and we left the church so I had to resign, but good luck!

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in the same role, I took my laptop to the meeting and had a template ready in which to type the minutes as the meeting progressed. I used styles in Word to manage numbering, motions and resolutions.

If I was happy with them then I would set them to email as soon as I was next connected to the internet. If I felt they needed polishing then I would leave them until I had a little time.

While I sent mine directly out to the whole membership, there is something to be said for passing them to the chair first, especially if you are not a member. The chair then takes responsibility for the accuracy of the minutes.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

Thanks all, that's really helpful stuff. My predecessor is still around, and my relationship with the chair is reasonable, so that's something. There has been some funny business in the past, but not so much, I think, these days. I have been promised plenty of files from my predecessor so some nice bedtime reading for a while...!

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re approval of minutes...

Send the draft minutes to the Chair and Churchwardens for them to check. Then send them out with the agenda of the next meeting with clear instructions that all corrections should be sent to you BEFORE the meeting. At the meeting, the minutes are then just accepted.

That way, you should hopefully avoid the deeply frustrating (yet commonplace) situation where you spend half an hour discussing corrections to minutes of a meeting most people won't even remember. By the time you've done that, everyone is ready to give up and go home.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
When I was in the same role, I took my laptop to the meeting and had a template ready in which to type the minutes as the meeting progressed. I used styles in Word to manage numbering, motions and resolutions.

My wife does this, it's a good idea provided you remember to update the date of the current meeting!

A useful point is to clearly indicate any agreed "Action Points" and who is to action them.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Re approval of minutes...

Send the draft minutes to the Chair and Churchwardens for them to check. Then send them out with the agenda of the next meeting with clear instructions that all corrections should be sent to you BEFORE the meeting. At the meeting, the minutes are then just accepted.

Yes. Another thought: send out the (checked) Minutes asap after the meeting, as a stimulus to action ... then send them again just before the next meeting, as an aide-memoire (easy with email). Then no-one can possibly say, "I didn't see the Minutes". Probably not necessary though if meetings are (say) monthly, but useful if they're three- or six-monthly.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I don't think you'd be a trustee unless you were a full member of the PCC. Trustees are legally responsible and can be made personally liable for their decisions - which is why things need to be done properly.

And if you're a paid Administrator (which I presume you're not, but some churches have them) then you cannot legally be a Trustee.
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
A useful point is to clearly indicate any agreed "Action Points" and who is to action them.

Also - include a date by when the action should be done.

It may also help to have all uncompleted action points listed in summary at the end of the minutes. Only remove an action point when it has been done.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is worth being clear if the minutes are intended to be a record of the discussiojn, or just the agreed out come of the discussion. Outcome and action points are a lot quicker and easier to do, but less useful if you later need to be able to check if such and such a point was raised.

If you need to record the discussion, you might find the SBARD format useful.

Situation: Roof is crumbling
Background: We have 2p and Mrs Wharfendale is sentimentally attached to the north gable where her husband's ashes were mounted in a decorative truss
Analysis: Miss Carterpoll helpfully outlined the resuls of the architects survey, they suggest either corrugated iron roof part exchanging the raw materials of the old roof to pay for it or selling the soul of Mr Wharfendale to Satan thereby funding an English Heritage approved restoration. Mrs Wharfendale placed her objections to the latter plan on record.
Decision: PCC agreed to have a corrugated iron roof, but the decorative truss containing Mr Wharfendale's ashes will be salvaged and attached to the new roof. Actions: Vicar to arrange.

[ 17. March 2015, 16:00: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

So - although it's been a collective decision - the Vicar will still get all the flak ... [Devil]
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Mrs Wharfendale is sentimentally attached to the north gable where her husband's ashes were mounted in a decorative truss.

Sounds very painful, surgery is clearly the only option.
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Situation: Roof is crumbling
Background: We have 2p and Mrs Wharfendale is sentimentally attached to the north gable where her husband's ashes were mounted in a decorative truss
Analysis: Miss Carterpoll helpfully outlined the resuls of the architects survey, they suggest either corrugated iron roof part exchanging the raw materials of the old roof usefulfor it or selling the soul of Mr Wharfendale to Satan thereby funding an English Heritage approved restoration. Mrs Wharfendale placed her objections to the latter plan on record.
Decision: PCC agreed to have a corrugated iron roof, but the decorative truss containing Mr Wharfendale's ashes will be salvaged and attached to the new roof. Actions: Vicar to arrange.

[Smile] that's great!

Thanks all for your help.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realised I mssed out R !

It should go:

Situation
Background
Analysis
Recommendation (Miss Catterpol thinks we should sell Mr Wharfendale's soul to Satan as the renovation will be far more aesthetically pleasing.)
Decision

It originated in the nuclear industry I think spreading to military and then health settings. It is intended to convey information quickly, and be clear about what opinion is needed. Trying to get away from hint and hope, when for example a healthcare assistant says to the sister "Mr Anderson is looking a bit peaky" when they mean, would you please come and do his physical obs I think he is going steadily bluer.

[ 19. March 2015, 11:15: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Mrs Wharfendale's objections might then be properly noted next to the recommendation rather than in the analysis section.

[ 19. March 2015, 11:16: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016