homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » what would Your money look like?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: what would Your money look like?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A comment on another thread had me thinking about the design of money.
Whilst there is some beautiful engraving and there are very pretty notes, money has its own aesthetic. What passes for attractive in a bank note would often fail in other arenas as too florid or fractured. There are reasons for this, but what would your money look like, free from these concerns?
My first though is Art Deco, beauty with serious intent. Art and institution.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine would be Art Nouveau. It would be a complex and naturalistic shape, beautiful with organic patterns on them.

Coins would be elegant and sleek.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There would be no bank notes. The English ones are promissory notes that say, if you look closely, "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of..." and in theory you can go to the Bank of England with these and demand to be given gold coins in return for your promissory note. In practice, this never happens, and if you did, you'd be very unlikely to come away with a fistful of gold sovereigns.

So no notes. Just beautiful coins: silver, copper, nickel, gold. As befits an island, they would have themes of ships, sea creatures, animals, flowers, trees, etc. Most would be round but some would be polygonal. The two-colour two-pound coin would stay.

And there would be shillings, guineas, florins, groats, marks, threepenny bits and all the rest of it. And the shilling would not be the size of a tiny cent, but worth something.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All money should be coins. Drill holes in all of it and we can wear it like jewellery. In fact, make it mandatory to wear all of your money. No bank accounts or credit cards etc. Those with too much money will be weighed down, such that the poor can assist them to stand by taking on some of the burden. Win-win all around.

We could also have special Jesus coins with 3 holes in them.

I'd also suggest that if/when Prince Charles gets to be features on money, the coins can have ears on them.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gold, pure 22 carat gold [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked the idea of "Boggs Bills".

Boggs is an artist, with a long history of drawing his own money--even to pay for a meal he's just eaten. See article "In Boggs We Trust". Wikipedia also has a good article.

(Don't mean to derail the thread; it's just that this is a guy who's already done what we're talking about.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always loved the classic Irish coin set - the wren, the sow, the hen, hare, greyhound, bull, salmon and racehorse. Besides being beautiful designs, they related to the country they represented.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, so did I. That was the sort of thing I had in mind.
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My currency would be books, CDs, DVDs, unused HiFi equipment, component video cables and old analogue-only TVs.

I would be Filthy Rich.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Silver arm rings used as hacksilver
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I always loved the classic Irish coin set ...

Any country that has piggies on its coins will get my vote ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ProgenitorDope
Apprentice
# 16648

- Posted      Profile for ProgenitorDope   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Realistically, I think we'd be best off designing plastic cards with magnetic strips on the back.

Otherwise, I've always like coins more than bills, so I'd probably have more emphasis on those. Probably important people's profiles on the front, Neoclassical designs on the back, if not full Roman with significant events instead.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I always loved the classic Irish coin set ...

Any country that has piggies on its coins will get my vote ... [Big Grin]
The Irish for pig is "muc", by the way. [Big Grin]

Yes, it was a simple design but it worked beautifully, with a harp on the other side. The harp is the only feature they've retained on the euro, which looks as dull as all the rest now.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
I'm reminded of an occasion in a Dublin restaurant (pre-Euros), when a crowd of us from Belfast were sorting out our bills, and one of the younger chaps said in rather too loud a stage-whisper, "Anyone got any Monopoly money left?".

Oops ... [Help]
[/tangent]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My money would be vegetables. The 22 carrot gold standard.

... I'll get me coat.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The coins would have to be triangular. And, yes, a hole in the middle would be rather useful.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to see surrealist banknotes. Not as in a design by Dali on the note, but more in the idea of of the designs being on carp, and the amount the carp was worth varying as to which way it was currently swimming.

This is of course the goldfish standard.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chocolate. In bars or coins.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like gems really, different shapes and colours for various denominations. Possibly laser engraved in the centre for anti-fraudness, or as a cameo.

Ruby bagette cut machine produced crystal with a cameo cut phoenix design for a hundred perhaps ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Chocolate. In bars or coins.

No, absolutely not. There would be no money left in my possession and no one's purse or wallet would be safe around me.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Lego ™.
Cubes of different sizes (1x1), (2x2), (2x4), and different colours to denote worth which can be combined in a stack to make certain amounts

eg 1 blue is the lowest value, but an 8 (2x4) blue is worth a 1x1 red,
8 (2x4) red = 1x1 white (= 64 blue)
8 (2x4) white = 1x1 silver (= 64 red, =512 blue)
8 (2x4) silver = 1x1 gold (= 64 white = 512 red, = 4096 blue)

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for interest: I worked in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa, in the early 80s. A group of colleagues went to visit the neighbouring Republic of Guinea and were intrigued to find that the currency in circulation (known as the "Syli") consisted entirely of notes (I don't know what had happened to the coins).

The smallest 1-Syli note was about the size of a large postage stamp, apparently.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
possibly similar to what happened to lira - there had been a subdivision but it wasn't worth very much?
I was in Slovenia before they adopted the euro (it was during the changeover, so their Tolar had been tied to the euro at a fixed rate so Euros and Tolar were both in circulation at the same time)
The smaller denomination notes also had coins of the same value, but somewhere I have a 10 tolar note worth approximately 5 euro cent

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
The coins would have to be triangular.

I think these are quite wonderful.

I'm pretty sure I used to have a coin from Ceylon with a hole in the middle that my father had acquired during the war. It may even have been a square coin.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to see really really really huge paper money that you had to fold eight or nine times in order to store it.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But won't it get easily torn along the fold-lines as it wears?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe make it of origami paper? It's pretty strong.

Welcome, simontoad! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved the French banknotes I used to use on holiday in the 70s and 80s: colourfaul, dramatic, with a satisfying crackle. (One of them -can't remember the value- had Delacroix's 'Liberty Leading the People' on it, and I remember thinking 'trust the French to have money with nipples on it')

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
The coins would have to be triangular.

I think these are quite wonderful.

They...are, but they're confusing to me. What are they? I'm assuming some commemorative coin? I see the Queen, King Tut's name inscribed, a bunch of Egyptian symbolism, and the Isle of Man inscribed with the date. [Confused]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Damn, I knew she's been queen for quite a while, but I hadn't thought it'd been thatlong.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I'm pretty sure I used to have a coin from Ceylon with a hole in the middle that my father had acquired during the war. It may even have been a square coin.

Current Japanese 5 and 50 yen coins have a hole in the middle. Alan Cresswell probably has a pocketful.

Which brings be on to what I'd like. I'd like trousers with stronger pockets, so that I don't generate holes in the pockets that leak coins. I'm not much bothered what the coins look like, but I'd prefer not to leave a trail behind me like Hansel and Gretel.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Roton San
Apprentice
# 18397

- Posted      Profile for Roton San   Email Roton San   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most beautiful thing of the world... [Smile]

--------------------
Thanks-
Roton

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the Ship, Roton San! I'm glad you're testing your sea legs here in Heaven. [Smile]

There is a dedicated Welcome Thread in All Saints, if you'd like to introduce yourself there.

jedijudy
One of the Heavenly Hosts

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016