homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Those Guilty Gadgets!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Those Guilty Gadgets!
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Hell thread on Difficult Relatives, a tangent has developed re appliances misbehaving -- washing machines catching fire, rice cookers smouldering, etc.

When I was still working, a crisis would invariably arise that caused me to work overtime -- but only on the days when I had started the crock pot going that morning.

I actually lived through a washing machine fire -- it ignited the wall in back of it and I had to call the fire department (first and so far only time). No major damage, thank goodness, except of course to the washer.

What frightening moments have "those guilty gadgets" caused you?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were a number of news stories some years ago, about dryer lint fires. The lint generated by drying is supposedly carried outside through the vent. But if there is a long tube to the outside world, or it is partially obstructed or bends around a corner, lint can build up. Either it catches fire itself, or it obstructs the vent enough so that the machine catches fire, apparently spontaneously.
My mother-in-law lived in a house where the vent ran to the outdoors under the slab, in such a way that it could not be inspected. So she never trusted it an inch. When she became older it became a monomania; finally they resorted to antidepressants.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one here who had a washing machine catch light, the engine burnt out and it was glowing away and smoke filling the drum. Luckily it also blew the main fuse for the kitchen so I noticed it.
But only after it had twice blown the fuse [Roll Eyes]

[ 26. April 2015, 21:05: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom was once over for coffee at the neighbour's when they both witnessed the iron catch fire. It had been turned off long before and was resting upright on the ironing board. From that day on, mom was adamant that we unplug everything that could be unplugged. It has been a good habit to get into.

I'm amazed by how many people leave the washing machine and dryer going while they are not at home or while sleeping. Just something I would never do.

And yes, I can see leaving a crock pot on, in theory, because they are designed to work well like that. But I have never bought one simply because I think it would make me nervous to leave the house with it on. [Smile]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one wasn't the gadget's fault.

One of my flatmates at Uni unplugged the fridge so that she could use the socket to do her ironing, and forgot to replace the fridge plug afterwards.

Some hours later, another flatmate was frying sausages and went to take something from the fridge. As soon as she opened the fridge door, there was a gush of water, from the defrosted ice box. So she got towels to mop up the water, forgetting about her sausages.

The frying pan caught fire. But - hallelujah! -we had a pile of wet towels to hand! So she lifted the flaming pan onto the floor, and we draped the wet towels over and left it till it had cooled down.

All was well till we tried to pick the pan up, only to discover that it had melted the linoleum and was now welded to the middle of the kitchen floor.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:

And yes, I can see leaving a crock pot on, in theory, because they are designed to work well like that. But I have never bought one simply because I think it would make me nervous to leave the house with it on. [Smile]

I bought a crock pot (wouldn't it be lovely to come home from a hard day's work to a steaming hot pot of broth), but the instruction booklet warned: "Do not leave this appliance unattended while in use"
WTF?
Anyway, it made me nervous, so I never came home to a steaming crock of broth (or a house fire).

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another case of human something or other.

Many years ago, I was babysitting at a friend's house in Germany, home of the Advent wreath (Adventskranz.) This is a wreath of straw, decorated with seasonal greenery and topped with four candles. it was lit for the evening meal, after which the parents were going out. My friend had placed the wreath on a paper plate on the wooden table. She said,in answer to my enquiry, that it was perfectly safe, provided the candles were blown out when we left the room.

Memory tactfully has obliterated the knowledge of who left the room last, but I only reentered it when the seven-year-old yelled that the Adventskranz was burning. It had of course burned through the wreath and paper plate to the (new) table beneath.

Big drama as I turfed it out onto the patio and doused it with wet tea towels. Never a word of reproach from my friends, but I suspect that paper plates were a thing of the past thereafter,

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One night I came home from work to find that my cats had some how turned on the burners on the stove, under a stickproof pot. The fume from the overheated teflon had killed both of my poor beautiful lovebirds. [Waterworks] Now I have childproof covers on the dials for my burners.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My mom was once over for coffee at the neighbour's when they both witnessed the iron catch fire. It had been turned off long before and was resting upright on the ironing board. From that day on, mom was adamant that we unplug everything that could be unplugged. It has been a good habit to get into.

My husband had an iron explode on him whilst he was using it, giving him a mild electric shock and a nasty burn on the wrist. As he was currently designing a new iron for a rival company he took it into work to dissect and show to his clients.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were going out for the day to visit friends but Macarius had been ill in the morning and so we were running late. Before we finally left home, we made one more attempt to locate the source of a funny smell that we'd noticed that morning - and discovered the back of the 'fridge was smouldering.

And once we had friends over for the weekend (same friends actually. Hmm....). Macarius was making coffee in an electric coffee machine. He said he saw the glass jug sort of judder and just moved out of the way before it - the jug - exploded. Luckily the glass missed both him and friends' dog, which was in the kitchen with him.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't leave this thread without telling you all about the time ken blew up the kitchen with a chip pan.

This happened when ken was 16 or 17, so I would have been 9-ish.

It was his turn to do the washing up and, as was usual for him, left the job till much later in the evening when the rest of us had all gone to bed. The story he told us was that he'd been reading, lost track of time and when he finally wandered into the kitchen, the chip fat was cold and solid. He decided to heat the pan a bit to melt the fat and while that was going on, he wandered off and took up his book again. And then he dozed off in a chair.

Some time later, he was woken by a burning smell, ran into the kitchen and, yes, there was the pan with flames shooting up.

Now we all know that ken was pretty brainy. But trust me, you wouldn't have wanted him around you if you had to tackle a fire. He panicked and threw the flaming pan of fat into the washing up water. It exploded and turned the entire kitchen into a black cauldron of smoke and soot.

By some miracle, ken was unharmed and there was no further fire. The smoke meanwhile started to travel throughout the house. I slept in an attic room at the time and the first I knew of all the excitement was when my other brother woke me to drag me out of bed and into the street, where we spent most of the rest of the night.

And that dear readers is how my Mum came to have a classic, full on, Laura Ashley decorated kitchen as early as 1972 (we had to travel to central London to get the wallpaper).

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Electric rice cookers have caused similar problems around here. (Maybe in the early '90s?) Asian families affected were making a lot of rice, and the particular cooker models didn't have off switches--you had to actually unplug them. So they were on all the time...

In university, I was once awoken by the fire alarm. It was a rice cooker, in the kitchen of my flat… and the only way out of the flat was through the kitchen. (We were on the ground floor and all the windows were locked shut, supposedly for security.) I had to hold my breath, open the door, and run through the smoke filled room.
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the days when computers had huge, TV like monitors ours went 'pop' and set on fire, flames coming out of the on switch.

It was the middle of the night and I happened to be passing it to pay a night time loo visit. Thank goodness I didn't go an hour later!

We have always switched everything off at bed time after that.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During a thunderstorm, lightning struck our neighbour's television aerial and his television set (which was switched off at the time) blew up.

Ironically perhaps he was an electrician so should have been aware of this sort of thing. But after that he always unplugged the television before going to bed. I usually close down computers etc during thunderstorms myself.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once during a thunderstorm, a bolt of lightning hit very close to my apartment -- one of those things where you see the spark and then instantaneously hear an enormous clap of thunder that would wake the dead. It completely fried my WiFi hub although the cable modem and computer were unharmed. Still can't figure out how it selected only the hub.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year a BT engineer came out to find out why our broadband signal was even dodgier than usual, and decided that the router was faulty. He opened it up to find its inside was blackened and smelled of smoke.

He told us that this was caused by lightning striking our telephone exchange a couple of weeks earlier. We knew nothing of it at the time, although our phone and broadband did stop working for a while. We live 3 or 4 miles away from the exchange.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Meike
Shipmate
# 3006

- Posted      Profile for Meike   Email Meike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In summary, fire alarms should not be missing in any good household.

I recently carbonized a baguette in my combi microwave in less than 5 minutes and thankfully noticed before the whole thing caught fire. Took me over a week to get that terrible smell out of my home and why did it happen just after I had washed all my curtains?

--------------------
“A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posts: 250 | From: I like this place | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanksgiving morning, two and a half years ago, Daughter-Unit and I were just getting ready to slide the turkey into the oven when we heard a Whoomph, and the element caught fire. We closed the door, put the turkey back on the kitchen counter and waited for the fire to go out.

Oh, that was a fun day.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I do leave my crockpot going when I go out, but I always have it on a timer switch set to switch off when the stuff is cooked.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister was visiting her daughter and her newborn grandson at the end of last year.
The baby had just been fed in the kitchen and as they all left the room the glass cooker hood exploded and glass rained down filling the baby's cot.
The cooker hood has been replaced by one not made of glass.
The cooker wasn't in use at the time and nor was the hood.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble is that these days, you're supposed to leave routers and TV boxtop sets on standby instead of turning them off every evening when you go to bed.

I don't like leaving them on 24/7, but it does seem to upset them if you continually unplug them.

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure it's just an overpopulation control device.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often have my slow cooker on overnight (to make the Christmas pudding) or while I am out.

I never really worried about it until coming home this evening when I thought of this thread [Paranoid]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The really guilty gadget is my brain. If I have anything in the oven before going to work, I have to write myself a note reminding me to switch the oven off before leaving the house. (It's one of those neanderthal models with no timer.)

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye, my brain is guilty too. I was doing some mains wiring with a torch between my teeth, which started to irritate me towards the end of the job. So, I took it out of my mouth and laid it down - to then puzzle why the job didn't get any less illuminated. It then transpired that the light in the cupboard under the stairs was still on...because though I had found a torch to see whilst the power was switched off, I had forgotten to, in fact, switch the power off.

I guess I never got my fingers across L and either N or E, and I had DM shoes on with rubber soles. So I just floated up to 240v and safely back down again [Smile]

(Several other times I got the big belt - but hey, it n-n-n-n-never did me any harm).

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
... I bought a crock pot ... but the instruction booklet warned: "Do not leave this appliance unattended while in use" WTF?

WTF? indeed. I thought the whole point of a slow-cooker was that you set it going and then leave it. We regularly leave ours either overnight or when we're out, and (touch wood) so far nothing's gone wrong ... [Paranoid]

I don't really have any evil-minded gadget stories of my own, although my mum once suffered an exploding pressure-cooker. This goes a long way to explaining why the pressure-cooker that some kindly relative gave us as a wedding present was still untouched in its box twenty-something years later and went into the Cathedral silent auction.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
... I bought a crock pot ... but the instruction booklet warned: "Do not leave this appliance unattended while in use" WTF?

WTF? indeed. I thought the whole point of a slow-cooker was that you set it going and then leave it.
Lawyers.

I once bought a children's trampoline. About 2 feet square, rickety folding metal legs, sits 8" off the ground. It came with a warning printed on the trampoline itself: "Warning: do not tow behind vehicle".

The only possible explanation is lawyers.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we bought new mattresses for cots they not only came with the usual warnings about suffocation and plastic bags (said bags being perforated with numerous holes) but also bore the legend Do not leave children unattended.

Just how does a 6'2" parent sequeeze into a 4'x2' cot, never mind leave space for the baby?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Needed to light fire, no matches. Turn on element and light a twist of paper - good theory. Returned to find foul smelling smoke filling the kitchen, the wrong element was turned on and the telephone was bubbling away - a mess of melted and burnt plastic with odd bits of electronics sticking out. Took hours to clean up.
Went to get a replacement and the person behind the counter did not blink an eye as he passed over the replacement. "I see you have been on a hot line" was his only comment.
Phones should be made more robust.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 89 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016