homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shoes (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shoes
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arch Anglo Catholic:
I 'rotate' my pairs of shoes, never wearing one pair for more than a day at a time, and they last much better.
I have four pairs and the four will last about 5-7 years. Good shoes will stand re-soling regularly and do require regular cleaning and polishing, but you do get what you pay for!

Shoes that have full welting can be successfully resoled and reheeled many times. Polishing is also necessary. Each night I choose the shoes I am going to wear the next day, and brush polish into them. In the morning, a quick buffing with a cloth and there you are. On these bases, my evening dress shoes (and some others) are now 40 years or more old and have lots of life in them.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother used to buy good shoes, usually made in England. She had several brands she liked. Hers lasted many years and had new soles and heels regularly.

I remember her disappointment when she had a cheaper, different brand pair resoled. They were never the same. resoling pulled them out of shape and made them pinch, something which never happened with the others.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another DM wearer here: I wreck ordinary shoes within 6 months because I walk around so much, currently carrying a pack. DM boots do last a year or more under these conditions, but I can still break the soles on them (simultaneously with the uppers on the last pair). I have tried their shoes but the heels are too loose. The heels aren't great in the boots, but there's enough shape to hold them on round the ankle.

My other preference would be the kind of walking boots I'd wear at home, but I have to wear proper shoes under the company dress code.

I also know about alternating shoes to allow them to dry out properly between wearing which helps them last longer. I used to be much better doing this than I am now.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:

Depends on your style, but I've found Doc Martens of all varieties to be extremely durable. The soles last very well even with lots of walking. I miss having them in my wardrobe at the moment.

I think Docs used to be really durable - I have a pair that I got second-hand from my cousin more than twenty years ago,which are still fine (and they're the vegan ones, not even leather), but I bought a pair of [url= http://www.drmartens.com/uk//Men%252527s-Boots/Dr-Martens-939-Ben-Boot/p/11292001]these[/url] in February for work, thinking they'd be worth the money and last. Stupid. It rained yesterday, and I ended up with wet feet. The sole has split in the middle where it's glued, so there's a gap. They're still wet today, and I'm working today, so I will spend the whole shift with wet feet, and I can't afford to replace them at the moment.
Not impressed.

On a totally different note - how's about Godzilla heels? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, sorry. that's weird. The coding using the URL button didn't work, and I didn't look until after the edit window was over. I tried it again just now in this post, and it won't let me use the URL button to do it. If I'd known I'd have used tinyURL. Sorry.
Another reason Docs are crap [Biased]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that Dr Martens are no longer made in Britain, except for ones specifically labelled as made in Britain - these are marketed as 'heritage' ones and cost more. However mine are the cheaper, not made in Britain sort and I've not had any problems.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spend 8-12 hours a day standing on a concrete floor so I appreciate the value of a good pair of shoes. After much trial and error, I found on particular style of running shoe that works well for me and keeps my feet and back happy. The local clothing store keeps several pairs in my size in stock at all times since I'm usually only able to get about 3-4 months out of a pair before they start giving me problems. My current pair (a hideous bright pink color btw) are finally about shot so I'm going tomorrow to get a new pair, hopefully in a much more subdued color.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once tried on a pair very similar to these. A few steps later they'd taken the skin off the back of my heels and were busy cutting through to the bone, but I did enjoy wearing them until then.

I'm getting fed up with sensible dark shoes which are based on comfort and practicality. I want something fun and colourful for a change, before I'm too old.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought these sandals in the blue colourway last Saturday and look forward to wearing them. They are comfy and oh so pretty.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
I bought these sandals in the blue colourway last Saturday and look forward to wearing them. They are comfy and oh so pretty.

Oh, I want those -- in both colors! (I might be spending a day in Worcester this summer, and I notice they have a store there.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Some people though are saying that shoes get more uses when they are worn less often.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered; I didn't get to finish reading before I responded.

I used to sell shoes, and being the nerd that I am I read up on the subject so I could sell more. [Biased]

Shoes need to dry out after each wearing. Even though it may be freezing outside, and even if your shoes fit snugly, there's always a bit of friction inside between foot and sock and shoe, and that causes heat, and that causes perspiration. Also, I think I remember reading that something like a quarter of all your sweat glands are in your feet -- but don't quote me on that. Still, you shoes absorb this moisture (especially if your socks are doing their job correctly and wicking it away from your skin), and so need time to dry out. One way you can reduce the amount of moisture is to wear a good wicking sock. Try wool, if you haven't already -- yes, even in summer. They're pretty awesome. And soft.

Another reason is that a shoe bends every time you take a step. This constant bending back and forth begins to wear out the materials. Leather can take it a lot longer than many other materials, but the glues and stitches that attach the uppers to the lowers generally cannot (and that's also where the constant moisture starts to work first).

I buy the best pair I can possibly afford (and will stretch just to buy the good ones), because with shoes it seems that you get what you pay for. Merrells and Clarks have always worked very well for me, but I don't need a special size. I also start looking for sales before I actually need a new pair, so that I have more time to shop. Then the oldest "good" pair I have gets relegated to yard work and the yard pair gets thrown away.

Whether you end up with two pair or one, you can buy shoe trees to put in them when you aren't wearing them. I invested in cedar because the wood helps dry them better and helps get rid of any odor. I'm particularly careful to put them in my dress shoes. It helps them keep their shape, too. If you get your shoes especially wet, put them in a warm place (but not hot) and stuff newspaper inside. Change the paper once or twice if needed, and then put them away when they're dry to the touch. If the insoles come out, pull them out as well. Never put shoes in the dryer unless they're the yard shoes, because the heat will melt the insole and glues.

And that's way, way more than you ever wanted to know about shoes.

ETA: I wouldn't reccommend this for shoes you intend to wear more than once a week or so, but you can actually get shoes stretched. We used to have a stretcher in the stockroom and could do it in anywhere between a few minutes to overnight, depending on the amount needed. It generally only works with leather shoes, though, and can't change the length. But if you absolutely must have that pair of pumps for a wedding or weekly business meeting and simply cannot find your size, try a stretch.

[ 16. May 2015, 00:46: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be the "Saturday girl" at a vintage clothes shop, and I remember one lady trying on a pair of 1940s vintage high heels. She was delighted - she said she couldn't wear modern high heels, but these were really comfortable. (I'm afraid I don't remember what make they were)

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm amazed that a Barefoot Friar wears shoes, let alone sells them [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I'm amazed that a Barefoot Friar wears shoes, let alone sells them [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

We all have our worldly temptations, don't we?

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one with funny feet here - broad, rather flat, with occasional bumps on joints - oh, and chilblains ow ow ow. I wear a lot of Pavers or FlyFlot shoes and sandals, especially the clog/mule type as that saves me from having badly rubbed heels. As for breaking in new shoes, my feet always give in first so if the shoe isn't comfortable straight away, forget it.

Normally the clogs have a little bit of heel, but for Miss S's wedding I had a fab pair of Clarks fuchsia pink suede court shoes with high heels (and a little bit of a platform) and they were surprisingly comfortable, or maybe that was just the excitement [Yipee] .

Am I the only person who dislikes seeing girls in ballet flats? They can't give any support at all - will the poor things all have plantar fasciitis in later life?

Mrs. S, no-one hates shoe shopping more than me [Eek!]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

We should go shoe shopping together. We could glance in the direction of the shoe shop and then go and have coffee instead.

[ 19. May 2015, 08:26: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wear a lot of Pavers or FlyFlot shoes and sandals, especially the clog/mule type as that saves me from having badly rubbed heels.

I had never heard of this brand, so I checked to see if they had a shop in Edinburgh. Turns out they have a discount place in Leith. Bit of a hunt through the backstreets and industrial estates, but found it and have come home with one pair of flats - blue with a narrow strap - and a pair of white-flowered muley things. Hopefully that's this summer's feet taken care of.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact this one and this.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:

We should go shoe shopping together. We could glance in the direction of the shoe shop and then go and have coffee instead.
Sounds like a plan to me, D.S!

Mrs. S, avid coffee drinker

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See I fear I'm the opposite. I go shoe-shopping all the time because my shoes are always aging--I walk a lot more than the average American as well as having odd feet--and most shopping trips yield nothing. Maybe if I bought expensive enough shoes they would, but every time someone recommended a brand as the brand that would last, they've lasted less than a year. This was true even when I had a pair that lasted two plus years so I brought another from the same company, not the same shoe because they didn't make it anymore, of course. It was just as expensive as the beautiful long-lasting pair, but they lasted six months.

I found some great name brand shoes unworn at a thrift shop, but three months later the soles are starting to look a little worn. Maybe I have three months, but that's the maximum these have, I fear. Sigh.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate shoe shopping because nothing fits me. When I do find a pair that do, they will not be available next time I need a pair. Another reason I love converse, the basic shoe has remained the same, or close enough I cannot tell, since I bought my first pair. They add styles I cannot use, but the basic Chuck Taylor's I can buy with confidence. Only downside is that they have little cushion. And snooty attitudes that do not accept them with formal wear.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Duplicate post deleted, I guess at the same time as Yangtze also deleted her last, so reposted by Ariel! Sorry for the confusion.]

Originally posted by Yangtze:

I have a question - when people are saying their shoes don't last, what do you mean by that?

Presumably not just that the heels or soles have worn down because shoes can be re-heeled and re-soled. (I find that I need to re-heel shoes once or twice a year and re-sole around 12-18 months depending on the shoe and how often I wear it.)

The upper coming away from the sole? This seems to be happening more to me, including with re-soles. I keep meaning to get some appropriate glue so I don't have to take them back to the cobbler each time.

I've had buckles come unattached and elastic straps overstretch but the cobbler has managed to mend those. I've also replaced zips on boots (though that was not cheap).

If they get a bit too stretched I've found that insoles help for a bit. Ditto heel grips if lining wearing away at heel.

So is it something else that means a shoe is worn out that it has to be replaced rather than repaired? The other reasons I can think of are: stretching too much so too loose; inner back of heel/lining wearing through so that even heel grips don't help; shoe structural integrity sort of collapsing (this is happening with my favourite ballet flats).

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re lasting, often I do mean the sole or the heel is going, or at least that's a major part of it. If I buy a shoe for $80, the rest is going to have to be pretty unworn for me to have it re-soled for $40. For instance, let's say the upper is scuffed, the lining is wearing and the front toe has a not-yet-a-hole. It's just going to be a better for me to buy a new pair of shoes because that pair of shoes is more than half done. Also I often buy shoes on clearance racks for less than $40 dollars. I did have one pair of shoes re-soled for more than I paid for it, but it has to be a pretty impressive pair of shoes before I'm about to do that.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Presumably not just that the heels or soles have worn down because shoes can be re-heeled and re-soled.

Some can't, apparently, because of the material they're made of.

Some split. The fabric might come away from the sole, or the sole itself might crack in the middle and let the rain in. It's usually one or the other with mine.

Sometimes the lining wears out, or into holes, may get stiff and stick up in spikes. Sometimes the heel bit wears out and the plastic or metal underneath the fabric becomes very noticeable when you wear them.

[ 19. May 2015, 19:40: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it more of an issue with shoes that aren't leather? I can see that trying to re-stick canvas (or PVC/PU) back to a sole might be hard.

Does sole cracking happen horizontally where the toe joints are? (If that makes sense?)

Also - re cheery shoes, I have these beauties. (The brand is Grenson - I managed to get them reduced.) Very comfy too.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
...re-soled for $40...

[Eek!] Yikes. Round here it's about £10 for re-soling and £5 for re-heeling.

(Actually I think I paid £18 for re-soling one pair recently but there was something special about them, though I forget what right now! Maybe the pair with an actual hole in the sole.)

[ 19. May 2015, 20:09: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC--

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I own one pair of tennis shoes (trainers, whatever) and one pair of decent-for-funerals shoes. That's it, bar a pair of ballet slippers. The reason is that the forefront of my foot (you know, the bit that's supposed to be covered by the tongue and laces of a tennis shoe?) is about an inch higher than normal people's. Which means that unless the shoe has virtually no upper, it will crash against the bone there and hurt like hell. What do you call that, tall-footed? thick-footed? Whatever it is, it's a disaster for a woman who is required to wear non-laced closed toes work-formal shoes (i.e. pumps). I go straight to the men's department and most of those don't work either.

This is all made much much worse by the fact that I have to wear custom orthotics in my shoes, which raises the height of the foot one inch more. My mother says I should just wear the shoebox and be done with it. Thanks, Mom.

Much of that is similar to me. I can't wear shoes where the opening is cut like ballet slippers, because it cuts into the high curve of my foot. I can wear loafers, sneakers (aka tennis/running shoes), some sandals, and some boots. I also need good balance and good traction. So I generally wear sensible shoes--Reebok's, Timberland, Ecco--with flat, thick, textured soles. I also tend to have just one pair at a time, because my feet have a hard time adapting between pairs.

ETA: Oh, and cost is a big issue. I go to discount outlets (like DSW), and look for sales there. I used to also go to stores like Timberland. I've also bought second-hand shoes--workable, if they're in good condition and you use a skin-safe, low-toxicity disinfectant. Or, if washable, put them through the washer, and dry on low heat.

[ 20. May 2015, 05:06: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was really annoying because I used to work for a boss who wanted "femininity" grrrrr in the women who worked under him, and that is simply not possible when your choice is tennis shoes (not allowed) or the only pair of man's formal shoes that fit in the whole freakin' city (not much of an exaggeration, that). I was so sorry to disoblige him (no I wasn't) but it was certainly one element in our disintegrating relationship. Heels he wanted, and heels he didn't get. (nor skirts, nor home-baked goodies, nor any of the other crap he expected from a professional)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could women faced with dress codes that demand unsuitable shoes cite elfin safety and submit papers on the damage that ensues from incorrect footwear, pointing out that employers wouldn't really want legal cases about it, would they?
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped: what you're describing is called a high instep - not uncommon, not a deformity and there is a not too expensive solution.

Go to a shop that sells shoes for theatrical productions and ballet shoes: they will be used to producing made-to-measure shoes in a variety of styles. Go through the stuff they can produce and get them to make you a pair - they'll ensure they fit you properly and you should get a choice of styles.

If such a beast doesn't exist on your side of the pond then there are two firms in London, both of which do mail order: these are Annello & Davide and Freed of London.

A&D in particular may be of interest since they do theatrical/historical made-to-measure shoes (their styles start at pre-Roman and go through to 20th century, plus middle Eastern!). I'm pretty sure you'll find something to suit, although it may be pricey - but then something that fits properly will last longer in any case.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you!

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped [Eek!] There are laws against that kind of behaviour in the EU, though they are not always rigorously enforced.

Penny S:
quote:
Could women faced with dress codes that demand unsuitable shoes cite elfin safety and submit papers on the damage that ensues from incorrect footwear, pointing out that employers wouldn't really want legal cases about it, would they?
Not for very much longer, judging by the rumblings from Westminster... today the Human Rights Act, tomorrow the Health and Safety Executive.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

There are laws here too, I just had an asshole (and no good way of proving it). Sorry for the tangent! Back to much more interesting SHOES...

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Lamb Chopped [Eek!] There are laws against that kind of behaviour in the EU, though they are not always rigorously enforced.

There seems to be some dispute about this at Cannes.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
In fact this one and this.

Really hope that they give you happy feet, Firenze!

Mrs S, who will feel guilty if they don't [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been reading this with interest. I have flat feet, very flat and a fallen arch on one foot. Getting shoes which are comfortable on both feet is hard.

I always wear flat shoes, never heels, often with a strap over instep. Last night I walked a few metres from tap to table and could hardly put my right foot to the floor when I reached table.

Right shoe has spectacularly and suddenly died. It had come apart upper from sole, down inside length. There was a crack across part of the under instep, large portions of the sole appeared to have been chewed by a dog and left across the floor. Sole under heel was thinking of disintegrating.

These are about eight years old and have had a lot of wear. They were not expensive.

I am not complaining, I have had my money's worth. I am just surprised at the sudden overwhelming demise. I have others about the same age so will inspect regularly and carefully.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have been reading this with interest. Currently I get my shoes from Cosyfeet , which was recommended on the Diabetes UK forums.

I have had surgery for bunions in the past, and as I also have type 2 diabetes I need to take extra care of my tootsies. Cosyfeet have very wide fitting shoes, soft seams, and they also do socks and hosiery. I despaired of finding shoes that fit before I discovered them - and if you have a chronic condition you don't have to pay VAT [Smile]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks Pine Marten for the link. I have ordered some warm soft boots for winter here. Will get more if these are fine for me.

--------------------

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

- Posted      Profile for OliviaCA     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love this thread. [Smile]

I have practically given up on "serious" shoes, and tend to wear knitted-boot-slippers or men's sandals indoors, and trainers or men's sandals outdoors.

I did have a pair of red leather kickers bought second-hand ( nearly new ) which lasted ( about 5? ) years, and a pair of ( single-strap/mary-jane ) black caterpillars which lasted ditto, but haven't found anything like them since, so trainers it is, because cheap and comfortable.

Luckily I don't have a job with dress-code.

My sister gave me a pair of classy italian leather hiking boots last year which I dubbined, ( they need scraping though; I got a little too enthusiastic with the grease :lol ), but I'm almost afraid to wear them in case they wear out just before I need them for something serious.

At a wedding a few years back I was reduced to wearing tiny black-canvas-gym-dance-slip-ons.

The sort of shoe most women seem to wear to events/with smart clothing don't seem to belong in the same universe/dimension as my feet. :?

[Smile]

[ 22. May 2015, 14:12: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

Posts: 91 | From: Europe | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on what you buy. I'd be very disappointed if my DocMartin AirWare shoes lasted less than 5 years.

Handmade shoes can last for years, for example, people take their children to a shop in Totnes especially to buy handmade shoes which can be stretched after 1 year to a larger size.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The children, of course, stretch themselves without much help except for feeding. [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The subject came up when I went to a friend's for lunch. She had even investigated bespoke shoes, but they would have cost £1000 for the first pair (including last making) and £500 thereafter. she is currently wearing shoes from Aldi.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Heavens. I remember my uncle telling me how he and my grandfather decided to make their own boots one year- quite successfully, I understand. For years our household impedimenta included a cobbler's last (which we used as a kind of mini anvil for cracking nuts).
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaCA:
I did have a pair of red leather kickers ...

Of course I read this as red leather knickers...

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
quote:

I think I may have seen a pair of those in M&S sale yesterday.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
quote:

Sure it wasn't a S&M sale?
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another pair of funny feet checking in! Little and wide and if I wear more than a loafer type heel for any time get quite a bit of pain around my big toe (even after I take them off as I've a small bunion). They also swell at the smallest provocation so I can sit down for dinner with one size feet, stand up a bit later and they've grown! So cue funny walking with suddenly tight shoes.
I love my Birkenstocks and crocs [Big Grin] sadly neither are allowed at work.

I did find some gorgeous fuschia faux suede ballet pumps at M&S a few years ago with a blingy bow, they are almos wearing through the sole now but I'm it sure I can get the resoled, I'd love to find some more though.

I've also had some blingy thing sandals from there, I can't usually wear those at all but these are so thin they are ok.
M&S wide fit range have kept me shod for a fair few years now

[ 23. May 2015, 11:24: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Fun morning trying on summer sandals in a variety of shops. The pair I particularly liked didn't fit, unfortunately, and the other pair I thought about would have been ankle-twisters but still pretty enough to make me regretful.

That and the quest for a new summer handbag will probably keep me entertained over the bank holiday.

OliviaCA
Shipmate
# 18399

- Posted      Profile for OliviaCA     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
quote:

Sure it wasn't a S&M sale?
:lol
... :rofl!
... ... [Overused]

[ 23. May 2015, 13:05: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

Posts: 91 | From: Europe | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love my Fit Flops

I have two pairs of the flip flop ones and a pair of the clogs which are never off my feet in the house.

In the evenings I can be found five inch heel gorgoeus MissKG shoes, which I will be wearing for my son's wedding. So I am wearing them in and practicing wearing heels again as it's ages since I did!

I also have a pair of kitten heels wich will go under the twin's pram for when I can wear them no longer - I will let you know how long I last! (The wedding is on June 20th)

[ 23. May 2015, 13:23: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016