homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Darn-diddly darn it! Is this the end of Ned?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Darn-diddly darn it! Is this the end of Ned?
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems as though Harry Shearer is leaving the cast of The Simpsons.

What will become of the characters he's voiced? Can anyone do an "excellent" that will truly be Mr Burns?

But most importantly (for shipmates, maybe), what about Ned Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy? Is it good riddance to the two figures who have done more to misrepresent christianity in the last 25 years than Richard Dawkins or do we wish our fictional brethren a fond farewell?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
But most importantly (for shipmates, maybe), what about Ned Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy? Is it good riddance to the two figures who have done more to misrepresent christianity in the last 25 years than Richard Dawkins or do we wish our fictional brethren a fond farewell?

Ned and Lovejoy still show occasional flashes of Christian insight, which is more than Dawkins does. But, yes, an interesting conundrum for the programme makers.

Or they could - whisper it diddly softly - just pull the plug, like they should have at least 5 diddly years ago ...

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More than 5. Shout it loudly.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simpsons are so yesterday. My nephew, who grew up (if he ever has) with the Simpsons teaches drama and theatre arts and usually starts his classes with a reference to the Simpsons told me last year that his references were drawing blank stares from the young people he teaches.

(They draw blank stares from me, too. I only saw one episode way back when and decided it wasn't worth my time. I'm odd, he says)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really loved the early seasons. "The Simpsons," did satires on everything from beauty pageants to Monster Truck rallies. They covered taxes, Greyhound races, nursing homes, riding lessons, popularity, bullies, salesmen, and a hundred other topics, much of it spot on.

I thought the writers were pretty fair to the Christians. Ned Flanders was corny and worried about it all too much, but he had a huge Christian heart and put up with Homer's abuse with a truly forgiving grace, week after week.

Reverend Lovejoy had a classic preacher's drone when he spoke, but he was kind hearted, too. The only time he was hard on his flock was one Easter, when Homer put a chocolate bunny in the collection plate and he punished the congregation with a reading of Leviticus. His gossipy wife was the only person who fit the stereotype of judgmental Christian.

I'll miss Mr. Burn's hilariously outdated style of corporate rule so much. He was a favorite of mine.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Simpsons has definitely gone on for too long, and as it has dragged on, the characters have become caricatures of their old selves. And unfortunately, Flanders went down that road as well. At first, the idea was that this very Christian man was very naive and a little boring, but ultimately a really nice guy and the ideal neighbor; the joke was that Homer hated him even though any reasonable person would love to live next to Ned. I feel like later he became a bit more mean, and a stand-in for the religious right. But overall, I think “classic Ned” will go down as one of the most positive portrayals of a Christian in TV history.

And I think you could argue that Lovejoy is one of the most provocative yet perceptive portrayals of a priest to ever be on TV. Ultimately, he is a guy who is stuck in a mid life existential crisis, based on the fact that he is totally burn out on his job. But that job requires him to advise others when they come to their own existential crisis. I doubt that most of the ordained people here would deny that they have had a moment (or even a few years) where they found themselves in a similar crisis.

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
The Simpsons has definitely gone on for too long, and as it has dragged on, the characters have become caricatures of their old selves. And unfortunately, Flanders went down that road as well.

Tvtropes actually refers to this process as Flanderisation.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
The Simpsons has definitely gone on for too long, and as it has dragged on, the characters have become caricatures of their old selves. And unfortunately, Flanders went down that road as well. At first, the idea was that this very Christian man was very naive and a little boring, but ultimately a really nice guy and the ideal neighbor; the joke was that Homer hated him even though any reasonable person would love to live next to Ned. I feel like later he became a bit more mean, and a stand-in for the religious right. But overall, I think “classic Ned” will go down as one of the most positive portrayals of a Christian in TV history.

And I think you could argue that Lovejoy is one of the most provocative yet perceptive portrayals of a priest to ever be on TV. Ultimately, he is a guy who is stuck in a mid life existential crisis, based on the fact that he is totally burn out on his job. But that job requires him to advise others when they come to their own existential crisis. I doubt that most of the ordained people here would deny that they have had a moment (or even a few years) where they found themselves in a similar crisis.

If Ned Flanders really was one of the most positive portrayals of a Christian in TV history, the show would be called 'The Flanders' and Ned wouldn't look like such a nerd. It really shows how bad some of the other stereotypes are that Ned Flanders can be seen as relatively positive. Christian heroes are thin on the ground. (And I know I'm being precious).

[ 18. May 2015, 18:39: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Posts: 162 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christian heroes. How would you write one? One that was not preaching to the choir, one that was fully real. One that was not heavy-handed?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Christian heroes. How would you write one? One that was not preaching to the choir, one that was fully real. One that was not heavy-handed?

That's the challenge. But fictional characters don't necessarily have to be fully real. What they have to be is likable to the reader (And not even that since the anti-hero arrived).

But you could read Les Mis. and think that Jean Valjean is unlikable because he is occasionally violent and has a Government based job as Major. Yet he is still the hero and isn't sidelined.

Or take Dostoyevsky's Christian heroes - they are not considered superficial. Naive sometimes, but not superficial.

Characters are fleshed out by what they do and sometimes the things that they say. Give the character faults. Avoid the cliche. Some people will always hate the hero or heroine of any story, but too few people are even trying to write Christian protagonists these days.

Posts: 162 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Depends on what you mean by 'these days'.
Shepard Book from Firefly and Jed Bartlett from West Wing strike me as fitting your criteria.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe I've watched every episode since day one. Moe and Lisa, for different reasons, are my favourite characters. Moe, because he is down to earth and Lisa because she is smart.

Never particularly liked Ned, preferred Lovejoy. Ned's kids are so treacly they make me want to vomit!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alyosha:
Give the character faults. Avoid the cliche. Some people will always hate the hero or heroine of any story, but too few people are even trying to write Christian protagonists these days.

"Rev" is a strong (and flawed) Christian protagonist.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So is "Granchester," and Hathaway (past seminary student) in the Inspector Lewis mysteries.

"Mad Men," just ended with a big marathon of all the shows and lots of internet talk. I was surprised to hear some people mention the young Catholic priest who tried to help Peggy as a pushy, heavy handed person. To my eyes, he couldn't have been any gentler.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016