homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Recommend me a bible (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Recommend me a bible
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for a good study bible. The new spirit filled life bible has been suggested, and I'm wondering if there are any opinions on this or other version.
Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm growing fond of the Greek New Testament myself...

Though if you're not into languages, I'd go with an NRSV. Boring, but reliable and generally accurate.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've enjoyed Jack Hayford's teachings over the years, Squibs. Some would find his focus too restrictive, but he he does cover a good breadth and depth of teaching and pastoral insight compared to other teachers from within a pentecostal strand of Christianity.

And then there's also the chorus "Majesty"!

The only drawback for me is the use of the KJV as the base for study. Unless one is born and brought up with that mode of expression, it can be like learning a whole new language for new Christians. A bit of a separatist put off!

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks folks. Greek is out for the moment, I'm afraid; I've got other fish to fry. NKJ version is a bit of a turn off, but it gets good reviews on amazon. I was hoping there was something a little more accessible (NIV or some such) but also a little scholarly. In other words, I want something beyond a translation - maps, histories, acknowledgments of variances between Greek texts etc. Something that's not boring [Biased]
Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scholarly ESV would do. There is a ESV Study Bible. This comes from a more conservative stable but it is a decent translation.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the NRSV Study Bible and also the Jerusalem and New Jerusalem Bibles.

The pulpit edition of the Jerusalem Bible is full of background information, maps, etc.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And on that note I'll plug The Lutheran Study Bible from Concordia Publishing House (they're associated with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod). I have one of these. Definitely interesting, tons of added information in the notes, essays, etc., scholarly (if you like the church fathers, you'll find them all over the place in the notes, along with anthropological/cultural information, etc. etc.) and the translation is English Standard Version, which is a bit clunky at times but a decent translation.

Caveats: It is unabashedly conservative, which may or may not bother you--the editors etc. take inerrancy for granted, and hold to everything in the creeds. It is scholarly to the point of "Did I really want to know that detail?" and having notes that climb halfway up the page or higher. As a result, the thing is heavy--Duchess would love it as a replacement for her steel plated Bible. Paper is a bit on the thin side, I would guess to keep weight down, but eco-friendly source. I keep hoping they'll bring out a more portable form--I hear rumors of an e-book version soon, but I don't know in what format. Just flipped over to their page and found there's a sale going on right now--it's here.

I'm sorry. It's just that my church has put out something I'm rather proud of, and I can't help giving it a plug here!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Scholarly ESV would do. There is a ESV Study Bible. This comes from a more conservative stable but it is a decent translation.

I've heard nothing but praise for the ESV study bible. The Oxford Annotatd NRSV is also highly spoken of as a study bible.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
quote:

I've heard nothing but praise for the ESV study bible. The Oxford Annotatd NRSV is also highly spoken of as a study bible.
Well then, let me speak up. I really wanted to like the ESV Study Bible. If you eee the ads that were sent everywhere when it first came out, it claimed to be a very colorful and fully-illustrated Bible. This is just not true. There are about two dozen illustrations in the whole 2000+ pages of this thing. That drives me crazy -- there is no reason on God's green earth why it is so hard to find a well-illustrated Bible. There's lots of things that would benefit from photographs, maps, charts, mini-articles, etc. in scripture. But the Bbiles in print act like we are still stuck in the 1950s.

The only really well-designed Bible in this regard that I know about is The Learning Bible from the ABS. It is profusely illustrated with photos, artwork, maps, and charts that are very helpful in understanding the text as well as in raising your interest. If it had five times as many illustrations it would be better, but it is lavishly illustrated compared to any other Bible.

It has good articles and notes that explain the current thinking of the mainstream scholars without being filled with jargon. It would be just about ideal if it only had a decent translation for adults. Unfortunately, it is only available in the CEV or the NIV. The CEV is targeted to people who read at a grade-school level. The NIV was created by the most dishonest group of Biblical scholars ever to create a translation IMO. Other than that small problem, it would be ideal.

The ESV Study Bible pretends to have created something along these lines, but it is a marketing lie. When you see their video or read their ads, you would think that it is wall-to-wall illustrations. When you pick it up, you will be hard-pressed to find even one. I like the ESV translation, except for their usual con-evo bad faith of jumping to the Septuagint when they come to the Isaiah 7 "virgin" prophecy or Psalm 22's "pierced hands" language. For the most part, the study notes don't seem skewed to apologetics, though.

My favorite study Bible for studying translation issues is the NET Bible. This goes the opposite way of the Learning Bible -- the text is unremittingly plain and you need to read every one of the 60,000+ footnotes as you go along to understand what the book is trying to communicate. It is not for folks who need any coaxing to read their scriptures, and the notes don't discuss anything except translation or variants of text issues. But, for that, it is just wonderful.

The Harper Collins NRSV Study Bible is excellent for a general round-up of contemporary scholarly understanding. Again, it is pretty stark when it comes to illustrations, but if you can survive the visual desert it has lots of good information.

The Interpreter's Study Bible (again, NRSV) takes a pastoral approach to its notes. If you are preparing sermons, this study Bible might be a good resource. Again, wide margins are their notion of visual richness.

The Renovare Study Bible concentrates on spiritual development. Again, it is NRSV. If by "study" you mean "spiritual growth," this is an interesting choice. Once again, no photos or artwork.

I agree with those who recommend the New Jerusalem bible for a translation. It strikes a wonderful balance between formal equivalence and readability. There is one version that has some notes, but the Catholics seem to shy away from study notes in general. You really won't find a full-blooded "study" version of this translation. And the only illustration is on the dust jacket.

The Life Application Study Bible is available in KJV, NKJV, NIV, and NLT if memory serves. This is supposed to be the best-selling study Bible in print. It is devoid of color, but has helpful small maps and occasional black-and-white illustrations to relieve the visual boredom. The notes are more conservative than suits my taste, but they are quite fair in their treatment of factual material. It wouldn't be the worst choice one could make for a study Bible, especially if you were interested in studying scripture from a conservative Protestant point of view. FWIW

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune
I agree with those who recommend the New Jerusalem bible for a translation. It strikes a wonderful balance between formal equivalence and readability. There is one version that has some notes, but the Catholics seem to shy away from study notes in general. You really won't find a full-blooded "study" version of this translation.

The Jerusalem translation is very similar, and the notes in the Pulpit edition are exhaustive.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally appreciate my New Interpreters NRSV Study Bible, although it was quite spendy.

Some of my friends also recommend the Harper-Collins Study Bible, which is a trade paperback -- less expensive and easier to tote.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
I personally appreciate my New Interpreters NRSV Study Bible, although it was quite spendy.

The last time I checked, this was available at a very reasonable price used from Amazon MArketplace and Alibris. I don't usually check AbeBooks, but it is worth checking for these things, too. You can often get like-new books for less than half the discounted new price on Amazon. FWIW

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

Oh dear, I was all set to buy the ESV Study Bible till TC torpedoed it. Just to clarify, this is for my own spiritual growth and I would be coming from, let's say, a quite open minded protestant angle.

I'll have to research the suggestions given so far. Thanks all.

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:

Some of my friends also recommend the Harper-Collins Study Bible, which is a trade paperback -- less expensive and easier to tote.

[TANGENT]Easy to tote on the scale of large paperback books, perhaps!

I lugged a HarperCollins to and from school every class I was in, until just this past semester O opted for a pocket-sized bible sans footnotes. While I miss the footnotes on occasion, my back is grateful for the lighter load.[/TANGENT]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
quote:

I've heard nothing but praise for the ESV study bible.
Likewise. My other half (not a conservative evangelical) was given one and loves it...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
The NIV was created by the most dishonest group of Biblical scholars ever to create a translation IMO.

You really need to get over your problem with the NIV. Its not a very good translation, and its not in very good English, which are reasons enough not to use it for study, but your fantasy about it being some sort of far-out evil Fundamentalist plot is really not relevant to advising someone else what Bble to read.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squibs:
Oh dear, I was all set to buy the ESV Study Bible till TC torpedoed it.

He didn't torpedo it. He just said that it has too few pictures for him. And he moaned about one well-known disputed translation in Isaiah 7 which everybody knows about already so you can just skip that word when you come to it if it really causes you as much grief as it seems to cause him. Personally I wouldn't read a study Bible for the pictures, but for the textual notes and background information it had. So if the ESV study Bible has supporting text that you find useful, why not read it.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
...t your fantasy about it being some sort of far-out evil Fundamentalist plot is really not relevant to advising someone else what Bble to read.

That seems like a very good reason to advise against. You might feel that I should take medication to clear up the "fantasy," But as long as it is my view, there is every reason to advise accordingly, just as you may have every reason to caution people that -- by your lights -- I am hallucinating.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

I'm grateful for all the opinions expressed, and I'm sorry that I seem to have opened some old wounds; I really just wanted some guidance on this. Anywho, I've settled on the ESV. It has enough bright and shiny surfaces to hold my attention and it's also reasonably priced. I should, of course, spend more time looking at the options, but like a modern (and male) Veruca Salt, I'm impatient, and I want it noooow!
Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good study Bible? It's got to be The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha Augmented Third Edition New Revised Standard Version in my opinion.

Mind you, it would help if you could say what sort of things you are hoping to achieve from your Bible study. I don't think there's a single resource that caters for absolutely every whim of Bible-related curiosity that might ever cross my mind - so I have several study Bibles bulging out of my bookcase.

quote:
He didn't torpedo it. He just said that it has too few pictures for him.
If you want a Bible with pictures in it, I'd suggest the Lion Graphic Bible. I don't see the point in incidental pictures; if you're going to have pictures at all, it might as well be all the way through.
Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I now use the 'Life With God Bible' (form Renovare) in a nice brown faux cow - NRSV with Apocrypha. Much easy to lug about than the New Oxford Annotated (Burgandy Calf Skin, index cut) NRSV I used to use.

I have some commentaries and other stuff on my phone - the NIV is there in case I need to translate!

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

quote:
Originally posted by Jessie Phillips:
Good study Bible? It's got to be The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha Augmented Third Edition New Revised Standard Version in my opinion.

Mind you, it would help if you could say what sort of things you are hoping to achieve from your Bible study. I don't think there's a single resource that caters for absolutely every whim of Bible-related curiosity that might ever cross my mind - so I have several study Bibles bulging out of my bookcase.

quote:
He didn't torpedo it. He just said that it has too few pictures for him.
If you want a Bible with pictures in it, I'd suggest the Lion Graphic Bible. I don't see the point in incidental pictures; if you're going to have pictures at all, it might as well be all the way through.
Just to clarify, I ordered the ESV study bible several days ago (mentioned in my last post) and I received it today (pictures were never a deal breaker, perhaps you misunderstood this).

Although I haven't had a proper chance to study it yet, I'm quite happy with what I've seen. I am a little worried that it may be coming from a Calvinistic angle, but I'll just have to see. If this one doesn't work out I can always return to this thread and do a better job of researching recommendations.

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

I meant to add a final "thanks to all for the recommendations" to my previous post.
Benny Diction 2
Shipmate
# 14159

- Posted      Profile for Benny Diction 2   Author's homepage   Email Benny Diction 2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to make a late pitch for the NIV. I've used the NIV Study Bible (and also the New Life NIV) for almost 20 years as my starting point.

Over the last year I've been reading and referring to NRSV more - partly as I was given a NRSV Bible for ordination last summer. It's OK. The only reason I'm slightly luke warm about it is the way it is laid out. That said I did get a copy of the NRSV New Interpreters Study Bible for college (that's what was expected) and did find it good as a study Bible.

If, tempted to go for Bible commentaries at some time then I certainly would recommend the New Interpreters series.

--------------------
Benny Diction

"The Labour party has never been a socialist party, although there have always been socialists in it - a bit like Christians in the Church of England." Tony Benn

Posts: 859 | From: Home of the magic roundabout | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
dalej42
Shipmate
# 10729

- Posted      Profile for dalej42   Email dalej42   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone have any experience with the King James Study Bible published by Thomas Nelson? I've already got the NRSV Oxford Annotated study Bible, but I thought I'd read a different translation this year.
Posts: 303 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it would be very impertinent of me to intrude on this serious discussion by indicating my fondness for this translation.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That looks like fun!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm actually quite uncomfortable with the whole idea of study Bibles. IMO setting scripture within a pre-packaged interpretative framework takes away some of its power to shock or challenge or confuse. And study Bibles almost always reflect the particular biases of their authors, so if you're using one on its own you end up with a very closed viewpoint. I know money may be an issue, but if it isn't its probably worth getting a few study bibles from different traditions for comparison. At least then you can make up your own mind.

[ 16. April 2010, 18:39: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the main reason why I haven't purchased the latest Orthodox bible -- it's a new(ish) translation from the LXX, but it comes very heavily annotated. I've always felt it a bit dodgy to put commentary inside the same cover as holy writ -- too easy to forget they're two different things, and come away with the idea that what you read was what the Bible said, rather than an interpretation.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS If you don't want to go to the lengths of buying several study Bibles it might be worth making sure that your main Bible isn't a study one. That at least creates some gap between scripture and interpretation.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessie Phillips:

I've got the fourth edition now, in hardcover. Still waiting, though, for someone to publish the NRSV in a text-only single-column format gorgeously printed and bound. And/or the REB, similarly.
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
That's the main reason why I haven't purchased the latest Orthodox bible -- it's a new(ish) translation from the LXX, but it comes very heavily annotated. I've always felt it a bit dodgy to put commentary inside the same cover as holy writ -- too easy to forget they're two different things, and come away with the idea that what you read was what the Bible said, rather than an interpretation.

Sola scriptura?Has our beloved mousethief fallen into the hands of a cult of Calvinists? [Big Grin]

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jessie P. Posted
quote:

I would second that post, but add I like it very much as a regular reading Bible but choose to do my study of the text from a variety of other sources as well.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am also not a fan of bibles full of articles that tell you what a passage means. A study bible should have
  • Lots of cross refferences to parallel and related bits elsewhere.
  • Some notes on different translations of key words.
  • Brief discussion of key terms.
  • some historical/chronological notes to put a whole book in context
and probably that is about it.

Brief plug for the New Jerusalem Bible, which has served me pretty well.

It is also very large and so gives you gravitas when you take it to a group study/lecture....

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[qb]...t your fantasy about it being some sort of far-out evil Fundamentalist plot is really not relevant to advising someone else what Bble to read.

I have an NIV which I have had since I was a teenager and which I bought because a) my friend doing religious studies A Level said it was good and b) it had pictures in. In my innocence I had no idea that suggestions of far-out evil Fundamentalist plots attached to it. In a spirit of only mild mischeviousness, if there are far-out Fundy Bibles, what is the translation going furthest the other direction along the continuum from fundamentalism? (the most liberal? the least literalist?)

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
quote:
... your fantasy about it being some sort of far-out evil Fundamentalist plot is really not relevant to advising someone else what Bble to read.

I have an NIV which I have had since I was a teenager and which I bought because a) my friend doing religious studies A Level said it was good and b) it had pictures in. In my innocence I had no idea that suggestions of far-out evil Fundamentalist plots attached to it. In a spirit of only mild mischeviousness, if there are far-out Fundy Bibles, what is the translation going furthest the other direction along the continuum from fundamentalism? (the most liberal? the least literalist?)
Ken was responding to me. I said that it was dishonest, not fundamentalist. The things that bother me about the NIV are the way that it distorts text to make it fit their theology. For example, when the NIV has Jesus say that the mustard seed is the smallest seed that you plant, it is adding words for no other reason than to "correct" God Himself! There is no hint at all of such wording from Christ. The only value of such things is that they protect literalism from obvious problems for a literalist mind. Maybe that isn't what God had in mind for His text...

The NIV injects these editorial sprucings-up throughout scripture without warning. Most translators, if they do such things, do them in a predictable way. Translators who insist on gender-inclusive language (a practice of which I personally disapprove -- save the editorializing for the footnotes) are pretty easy to anticipate. Whenever they write "brothers and sisters" or "friends of all gender persuasions" or whatever they wish the writer had said, it is pretty obvious.

But when the NIV inserts its rewrites, they can appear anywhere and for any reason that the NIV translation team thought was at odds with their understanding of what scripture ought to have said in order for their interpretation of scripture to be right. There is no predicting it, and the seldom even footnote their perfidy.

None of this is really "liberal" or "conservative." About the only thing that seems to be a hobby horse of conservatives is to substitute the text of the LXX for the Masoretic text in the places I indicated above. I think that is a foul practice -- our Easter Orthodox brethren have always maintained that the LXX is the right OT for Christians, and base their argument substantially upon the fact that the NT always quotes the LXX when it quotes the OT.

Obscuring that fact has the inevitable side-effect of diffusing an important argument that includes issues of which books belong in the OT canon. It is hard for me to see this editorial poaching (on the part of people who rail against liberals for "picking and choosing" their scripture!) as anything other than dishonesty. We owe it to our brothers in Christ to give their views an honest hearing, even if some people then work out their salvation with fear and trembling by becoming EO instead of evangelical.

So, for me, the polar opposite of the NIV would be a translation that identifies which version of scripture it will translate and then renders it as accurately and dispassionately as possible. There are many ways of doing that -- Buber's (and more recently Fox's) approach to translating the Torah, the NET approach to translating the Masoretic OT and NA27 NT, and the NETS translation of LXX all represent very different theological perspectives. But they represent an integrity in honoring the text above their own desires that is what I would seek as the "anti-NIV" in any translation.

--Tom Clune

[ 04. May 2010, 19:18: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll freely admit to being not as smart as the other children, tclune, so please forgive me this obvious question, but when you say
quote:
About the only thing that seems to be a hobby horse of conservaties is to substitute the text of the LXX for the Masoretic text in the places I indicated above. I think that is a foul practice -- our Easter Orthodox brethren have always maintained that the LXX is the right OT for Christians, and base their argument substantially upon the fact that the NT always quotes the LXX when it quotes the OT.
does that really mean that there are translators of the OT who happily munch through translating the Masoretic Text until they get to something quoted from the LXX by the NT, at which point they translate the LXX until the end of the quoted bit, at which point they return to the MT?

I did not know I led such a sheltered life. Please tell me it ain't so.

[ 04. May 2010, 19:25: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Please tell me it ain't so.

It's so, kid.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aiyah!

I thought I lived in a thoroughly different kind of universe, where such things did not exist, which is why I had such a hard time accepting the facts as that quote presented them.

As a kind of wrong answer to the opening post—an anti-answer—perhaps you would be willing to sully this electronic page with the names of some of these perfidious not-translations.

[ 04. May 2010, 20:19: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

I'm not really all that exercized by the translations that fall into this pattern -- it is a pretty well-marked pothole in the road to Biblical literacy. But the translations that play fast-and-loose with Isaiah 7 and Psalm 22 are just about all of them.

Exceptions include any Jewish translation (of course), the NRSV, the NJB, and the NET Bible. I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

--Tom Clune

[ETA: Of course, those translation that are actually translating LXX will also be reliable renderings of their text. I don't know of any instance in which the LXX is translated to make it read like the Masoretic text, but perhaps a Shipmate will have an example of this.]

[ 04. May 2010, 20:35: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget "Kiss the son".... Psalm 2, I think.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Please tell me it ain't so.

It's so, kid.

--Tom Clune

I didn't know that either. Clearly I am both ignorant and naive. From a historical/textual criticism point of view that is pretty much pants.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

There is a thread in Limbo which discusses problems with the NIV.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been a most interesting series of comments and clearly since my college days there have been many more English translations of scripture. It is as if I've woken Rumplestiltkin like from a deep sleep.

I cannot comment on a 'study bible' but feel that the use of different translations year by dear can aid devotion. I've loved the AV for years and then found the RSV magnificent for liturgical use. The GNB gave a freshness...and so on. The only translation that I simply had to push aside was the NEB which was stilted, archaic (on publication) and so very 60s. I shouldn't think anyone would refer to it now.

I have to disagree with the shipmate who criticised the English of the NIV. It is its style that commends it to me. In fact, the English is rather good.

However, I remember my professor remarking unkindly to an undergraduate who produced a copy after it had just been published in a tutorial: 'do put that away Mr Taylor. It's a work of fiction.'

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Luke

Soli Deo Gloria
# 306

- Posted      Profile for Luke   Author's homepage   Email Luke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For ease of reading stick with the NIV but for tricky, controversial or unusual passages go to the ESV.

--------------------
Emily's Voice

Posts: 822 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like a lot of people find the ESV stiff and stilted sounding. I don't. From the first read, I've found it formal but expressive.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
The only translation that I simply had to push aside was the NEB which was stilted, archaic (on publication) and so very 60s. I shouldn't think anyone would refer to it now.

Do have a look at its successor, though: the Revised English Bible (REB).
Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite like the REB. It reads nicely with well rendered English. As a looser, less literal, "dynamic equivalence" tranlation, it makes for good text for simple reading (as opposed to close textual study). Unfortunately, it never got any traction in the United States, and few have even heard of it. It's ship seems to have sailed, and it's getting hard to find in any edition other than used hardback.

quote:
does that really mean that there are translators of the OT who happily munch through translating the Masoretic Text until they get to something quoted from the LXX by the NT, at which point they translate the LXX until the end of the quoted bit, at which point they return to the MT?

I did not know I led such a sheltered life. Please tell me it ain't so.

Another bugaboo moment in the NIV people point to is Genesis 2:8, which reads "Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed." In most Bibles, the verb is simple past, "The Lord God planted..." I understand that there is no warrant for the pluperfect in the Hebrew, so it appears to be an attempt to harmonize Genesis 1 and 2, since Genesis 1 has God creating plants before man.
Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the REB -- bought quite a few years now, and now rebound with pages repaired. It was my go-to bible for many years, and I've marked all the BCP lectionary (Sundays, not dailys) readings in it, as part of a project to visually see how much of the Bible was covered on Sundays.

For a while now I've been reading my RSV Confirmation bible (i.e. gift from when I was confirmed), enjoying the closer adherence to the literal text. But I'm embarking on a project of reading the epistles in chronological order, and I find them difficult enough to read, so I'm back to the REB.

I also have an NEB which I hunted down last year in a used bookstore -- the big thing I regretted about the REB compared to the NEB was that the REB reintroduced verse numbers at the start of every sentence instead of discreetly in the margin. I know it makes it easier to find citations, but it also breaks up the reading and makes it a bit less like reading a normal book, which is what wowed me about the NEB when I first found it several years ago before I bought my REB. (I was looking for an NEB at that point, but couldn't find it, hence REB.)

[ 12. May 2010, 14:27: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Warning to shipmates: Long post!]

quote:
... The things that bother me about the NIV are the way that it distorts text to make it fit their theology. For example, when the NIV has Jesus say that the mustard seed is the smallest seed that you plant, it is adding words for no other reason than to "correct" God Himself! There is no hint at all of such wording from Christ. The only value of such things is that they protect literalism from obvious problems for a literalist mind. Maybe that isn't what God had in mind for His text...

The NIV injects these editorial sprucings-up throughout scripture without warning. Most translators, if they do such things, do them in a predictable way. Translators who insist on gender-inclusive language (a practice of which I personally disapprove -- save the editorializing for the footnotes) are pretty easy to anticipate. Whenever they write "brothers and sisters" or "friends of all gender persuasions" or whatever they wish the writer had said, it is pretty obvious.

But when the NIV inserts its rewrites, they can appear anywhere and for any reason that the NIV translation team thought was at odds with their understanding of what scripture ought to have said in order for their interpretation of scripture to be right. There is no predicting it, and the seldom even footnote their perfidy.

This is not a characteristic specific to the NIV, but can be seen in any version of the bible translated following the ethos of dynamic equivalence, and most versions produced since the 1970s have followed this ethos. A full discussion of the pros and cons of dynamic equivalence (in contrast to ‘essentially literal’ translation) would take an extensive essay, even a book, so I won’t try.

But the two main principles of it could be summarised as: a) rather than keeping strictly to the words of the original, the translators try to get behind the words to the ‘thought’ of the original author and re-express those ‘thoughts’ in more comprehensible language; and b) the usage of the target language (the one being translated into) has absolute primacy, and if this means abandoning the usage and phraseology of the source language, then so be it. The foremost requirement is that the reader should be able to understand easily, rather than the original text being faithfully represented. To achieve this, the translators may insert words in order to explain what they think the text means, in addition to the words that the original author (/editor, etc.) actually wrote. (As objected to in the first para quoted above.)

There is now a whole range of translations showing a varying extent of use of the dynamic equivalence ethos, with the NIV at the conservative (or restrained) end, the GNB somewhere in the middle, and the New Living Translation (NLT) and The Message at the liberal (or enthusiastic) end. Indeed, the result has been a blurring of any distinction between translation and paraphrase (which is what the Living Bible was originally considered to be).

For me, finding out that the NIV used dynamic equivalence explained something that had been puzzling me for ages. When using my Greek/English Interlinear bible with accompanying NIV text, there were often discrepancies between the Greek text and the NIV. I put this down to the comment in the introduction that the NIV wasn’t exclusively based on the Nestle-Aland Greek text (which was the Greek version printed there), but used an eclectic mix of original texts. But I was wrong! It was because the translators had added or changed words in order to clarify (in their opinion) the meaning of the text they were translating.

Recently I have developed a deep-seated distrust and suspicion of all dynamic equivalence versions , and a key influence in that development was reading the book: The Word of God in English: Criteria for excellence in Bible Translation by Leland Ryken (Crossway, 2002) (More info on Amazon as usual, text also available as a free download for personal use here).

Ryken was the literary style editor for the ESV, (an ‘essentially literal’ translation) so it’s no surprise that his critique of dynamic equivalence is a robust one, but I found his arguments pretty convincing. I won’t try to reproduce them here, but I reckon from the quotation above that tclune would agree wholeheartedly with them, too. I would describe this book as the most outstandingly enlightening book that I have read in the last 10 years.

However, the debate on the subject is a lively one, with proponents of both sides of the argument having strongly-held views. On the one side is the opinion that making the Word of God accessible and understandable to the modern mind is a very worthwhile activity, while on the other is the opinion that trying to re-write the bible by getting inside the heads of the original authors (etc.) and re-expressing what you think they meant to say but didn’t actually do so, is to distort the Word of God from its original expression. My preference is to have an accurate representation of the original text that I struggle to understand, rather than a version that is made clearly understandable by simplification, re-phrasing and insertion, but which fails to convey the ambiguities, subtleties, metaphors and imagery of the original. (As ever, other opinions may vary.)

To try desperately to bring this post back on topic, I would reckon that a bible version for in-depth study, using commentaries and maybe venturing into the Hebrew and Greek texts, would best be an essentially literal version. While reading Ryken’s book, I compiled a list of translations which I understood to be done on the principle of ‘essentially literal’ or ‘optimal equivalence’, so for the information of shipmates I’ll reproduce it here: KJV (1611); RV (1881-1885); American Standard Version (1901); RSV (1946-1957); NASB (1971); NKJV (1982); NASB(Updated) (1995); ESV (2001); Holman Christian Standard Bible (2004). Nine in 400 years. Not many, is it? Though there may be others I don’t know about.

The editorial decision of the translators of the NRSV to eliminate gender-specific language means that I don’t reckon it to be ‘essentially literal’, as it is a practise whereby the usage of the target language overrules the original phraseology. I have great respect for the NET bible, as the footnotes and translation notes are awe-inspiring, but the same gender-neutralising tinkering as the NRSV disqualifies it from the list. Though it does have the honesty to footnote the original gender-specific word in each case, and reading the introduction to the translation will give a good taster of the intricacies of bible translation technicalities. (Again, the issue of gender-specific language will provoke strong contrasting opinions.)

AFAIK all other bible versions since the 1970s have used dynamic equivalence as their basic translation ethos (though that statement may render me a hostage to contradiction). And what one will tend to get from comparing a biblical passage in different dynamic versions is a growing sense of confusion, as each of the translation teams tries to re-express their understanding of what the author (etc.) meant – and all of them do so in different ways, and in doing so perhaps distort the text to fit in with their theology (see quote para.1 above). Ryken refers to this as ‘destabilisation of the text’.

Amazingly enough, the most literal translation that I have ever read, where the structure of the Greek text is substantially preserved, is Tyndale’s NT of 1534 (this edition). And I don’t find it at all difficult to understand.

I really must stop there. [Smile]

Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016