homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » This little light of mine

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: This little light of mine
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+5%3A13-20&version=ESV

I was going to comment on the example of how a bushel being placed over a light does not put it out, but only diminishes it. I am trying to figure out how salt can lose its taste, though.

However, as I was reading the passage again today, I am truly puzzled how the second part of this passage connects to the first part.

What is your understanding?

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I think the first part should probably be placed with the Beatitudes. As I said on the other thread, that forms an introduction to the Sermon on the Mount, an overture for the symphony that follows, that outlines what is to follow. The Beatitudes are characteristics of discipleship, being salt and light is part of that.

The second part, 17-20, is an introduction to what follows that. Jesus has come to fulfil, not abolish the Law and Prophets. But, he then launches into a series of "You have heard it said, but I say ..." sayings that might otherwise be taken as abolishing the Law and Prophets.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
I am trying to figure out how salt can lose its taste, though.

Salt can lose its saltiness by being adulterated. Matthew's ecclesiology lives in a tension between two poles:

1) The church must keep itself pure, not letting impurities dilute its vital saltiness;

2) The church has as its field the world, and is responsible for shedding the light that is Christ (cf. 4:12-17) on the world as a lamp, so cannot live reclusively (like the covenanters at Qumran).

A question I've been pondering is this: how is the church like salt? Is it to do with salt's use to purify (2 Kings 2:19-22), preserve, be a necessity of life, represent sharing a table fellowship, represent wisdom, add flavor?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
A question I've been pondering is this: how is the church like salt? Is it to do with salt's use to purify (2 Kings 2:19-22), preserve, be a necessity of life, represent sharing a table fellowship, represent wisdom, add flavor?

All of the above?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we are kicking that around, why "of the earth"? Is that to distinguish it from "salt of the water"? I mean, we know chemically salt is salt, but was "salt of the earth" considered something more precious than salt from the sea?

There are those who state that it is impossible for salt to lost its flavor (again, salt is salt). The last Beatitude discussed being blessed when persecuted for Jesus sake--to stay believing. Carrying on from that we get three comparisons:

(1) You are like salt. What if that salt loses its flavor (i.e., you lose faith). But salt can't; neither can you lose faith--or rather, you shouldn't because you should be like salt.

(2) You are like a city on a hill. Can it be hidden? No. Neither can you hide your faith--or rather, you shouldn't because you are like the city on the hill.

(3) You are like a light. Can a light be hidden? Well. yeah, but people don't DO that. Neither should you.

All three, then, are urgings not to hide your faith.

[ 04. February 2014, 20:26: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
While we are kicking that around, why "of the earth"? Is that to distinguish it from "salt of the water"? I mean, we know chemically salt is salt, but was "salt of the earth" considered something more precious than salt from the sea?

I'd never taken it in that sense. The word (γη, ) translated here as 'earth' is the same word often translated 'world,' as in Matt 13:36, "the field is the world."

If salt purifies water, the pure of heart are to purify the world. Salt is not salt for itself, but for what it is in the midst of. Similarly, the Church is not Church for itself, but for the world.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody explained to me that it was hard to make pure salt in the ancient world, so that salt often had grit in it. As with grit for roads in the modern world. If the rain washes the salt out of the grit then you're left with a residue of sand but it won't do any good as salt.

That's what I was told. It may come from the same source as the claim that Jerusalem had a gate called the Eye of the Needle.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An explanation I have heard is that in the reference to salt losing its savor, the word "salt" may in fact refer more generally to spices. Certainly old spices can lose their flavoring.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan, I tend to agree with you. The salt/city/light motif seems to be a better conclusion to the Beatitude saying.

Christ, the fulfiller of the law seems to be another section of the sermon.

Or where they independent says redacted into a sermon on the mount by Matthew?

Or did someone or group in the fog of time mistakenly disconnected the salt/city/light from the beatitudes when they were working on the Common Liturgy?

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Certainly old spices can lose their flavoring.

And as for Hai Karate....

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Alan, I tend to agree with you. The salt/city/light motif seems to be a better conclusion to the Beatitude saying.

Christ, the fulfiller of the law seems to be another section of the sermon.

Or where they independent says redacted into a sermon on the mount by Matthew?

Or did someone or group in the fog of time mistakenly disconnected the salt/city/light from the beatitudes when they were working on the Common Liturgy?

I think it all goes together. (Clearly, lectionaries have to divide somewhere). The beatitudes are indicative: you are blessed, because God will vindicate you. The salt/light passage moves from indicative to very general imperative: be what you are! Be transparent to the action of God in your lives! Most of the rest of the sermon gives more specificity to how to do that. The whole thing is predicated on Jesus' identity permitting him to stand on a mountain and give law.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Altogether now...

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd echo Freddy's understanding of the metaphor - ancient salt wasn't pure, so that it was possible over time for moisture to leach the salt out, leaving a tasteless crystalline residue.
The context points to the quality of taste that's in view with Jesus use of the image of salt
quote:
You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?
As to the reality behind the metaphor, I think the context (the preceding beatitudes and the metaphor of the light that follows) points us the idea of the people of God living out their faith. I think it is worth recalling that there is a sense that we are still "in the Old Testament", as it were, at this point of the gospels. Jesus is talking to "Israel" and one of the thrusts of the sermon on the mount is to warn that not all of Israel will be saved, but it will be the faithful remnant that the Messiah will gather into the restored Kingdom.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

AFAIK, they used salt partly as a fertilizer, so the ‘of the earth’ would then be a reference to its use, not its origin.

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems unlikely anyone would use table salt (NaCl) as a fertilizer, as it tends to kill plants.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But they may have used sea salt in dilute quantities. Or the surface mined evaporate. It contains some minerals.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=salt+fertilizer

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"salt of the earth" I take to equal "salt for the earth". It might be that he has salt's preservative power in mind here. Jesus' followers are to be like salt on something that is otherwise decaying--they are to preserve it. Which is impossible to do if they have lost the very nature of being salt.

A more hopeful (?) way of looking at "salt that has lost its saltiness" would be to take it that Jesus is here intentionally using a metaphor of something impossible. True salt does not, cannot, lose its saltiness; don't you do something as preposterous as losing your nature as followers of Christ either.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A more hopeful (?) way of looking at "salt that has lost its saltiness" would be to take it that Jesus is here intentionally using a metaphor of something impossible. True salt does not, cannot, lose its saltiness; don't you do something as preposterous as losing your nature as followers of Christ either.

I like that reading, Lamb Chopped. Indeed, I suggested something of the sort above. But on further thought it strikes me as a little unsatisfying. It is (unfortunately) possible to lose faith, so why make an impossible comparison to it? More tellingly, Jesus doesn't just reference salt losing flavor, but then goes on to explain what one would do with the stuff after that--"here is what you do with something that can never happen." That strikes me as just a little too detached from reality for Jesus.

I am coming to prefer Anselm's theory. Ancient salt wasn't pure. The saltiness portion may leach out and the residue (which the ancients would still think of as part of "the salt") would have no taste. And what then is that residue good for? Nothing but throwing out under foot. This then makes Jesus' statement more of a true-life cautionary statement: if you aren't careful to preserve it properly, your "salt" can become just the tasteless residue of impurities. Just so, if you aren't careful, you could lose your faith.

I agree with you that the "of the earth" phrase probably was meant to be understood as "for the earth" or world--something of beneficial value to the world so long as faith is maintained.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that "you are the salt of the earth" in verse 13 parallels "you are the light of the world" in verse 14, it seems eminently reasonable to me to take it to mean "salt for the earth." And given that the metaphor refers explicitly to salt's flavor (at least as far as I can tell from looking at various translations and at Strong's reference), I take the metaphor to be referring to the use of salt as a way to make food more palatable.

I would imagine that other spices generally would have been prohibitively expensive for day-to-day use in the average household, and that salt would have been pretty much their standard flavor enhancer. I also imagine that their diet as a whole would have been much more bland than what we are used to, and without salt it would have been extremely bland and even unpalatable by today's standards.

Based on these assumptions, I look to John 4:34 to help guide me in how I view this salt metaphor:

quote:
Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work.
If spiritual "food" is doing the will of God and accomplishing His work, then that indeed tends to taste pretty bland and unpalatable to us as a possible focus for our life. We do not naturally love our neighbor without effort. We are by nature not inclined to serve others at our own expense: we'd generally rather not give up our place in line or that good parking spot for someone who looks like they are more in need of it than we are. It is not naturally appealing to us to spend our days doing things that benefit others rather than benefitting ourselves. So it is very difficult for us to accept the idea that focusing our life on such things would lead to any real joy or happiness. We need spiritual "salt" to make it more palatable for us.

I think examples of this kind of "salt" might be worship, prayer, reading the Bible, or anything that reminds us of Jesus's teachings and exhortations regarding a life of service as a kind of life that leads to joy. Anything that makes us feel connected to God and interested in pleasing Him. Such things make the idea of self denial and service to others more palatable to us so that we can begin to apply that idea to our life and thus gain some spiritual nourishment.

Now the actual salt that Jesus was referring to may or may not have been able to lose its flavor, i.e. it's ability to enhance the flavor of food, but I think the metaphorical meaning is based on the idea that spiritual "salt" can lose its ability to make spiritual food more palatable. If we allow ourselves to lose touch with the real purpose and meaning of things like worship or prayer and to simply go through the motions without any real thought as to why it's important, they lose their ability to motivate us to act contrary to our natural inclinations and "do the will" of God and "accomplish His work."

Getting back to the text, I take Jesus to be referring to the idea that Israel was supposed to be a blessing to all the nations, providing an example for the whole earth of how living in accordance with God's will leads to a happy, productive, and peaceful life. They were supposed to be the "salt" and "light" for everyone, showing the benefits and blessings that come from living within God's covenant and law. But instead, the leaders of Israel had turned God's law into mindless ritual for an insular culture that had lost its ability to motivate people to want to live as God wanted them to. And the same way that salt that has lost its flavor cannot be made salty again, but is instead thrown out and trampled, so Israel would lose its position as God's church and be replaced with a new church.

Now I do not by any means think that there is any single way to view the text, let alone a single "right" one, but the above is a view that I have personally found useful as a starting point.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt
I take the metaphor to be referring to the use of salt as a way to make food more palatable.

Salt is vital to life. Here is an explanation of why it is so essential.

Nowadays salt is plentiful and pure, but in Bible times this was not the case. Therefore it was more highly valued.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that, Moo. That's a more general way to think about it since it explains why our sense of taste evolved such a strongly positive response to salt. I'd be interested in hearing how you think that might affect the way we can understand the "you are the salt of the earth" metaphor.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just a bit more on non-salty salt;
I was told that salt in this area tended to come from the Dead Sea, as it just needs picking up from the sea shore! the brine is already so concentrated, and the climate so hot, that salt just crystallises out.
But this salt is very impure, contains all sorts of chemicals.
If it's left in a damp place, the sodium chloride tends to deliquesce and run off, leaving a residue of less soluble material which still looks like salt, but of course doesn't taste like salt.
If that helps.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016