homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Road to Emmaus

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Road to Emmaus
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not surprisingly, our sermon yesterday was on the road to Emmaus. Cleopas and the other disciple fail to recognise Jesus as their travelling and dinner companion until the breaking of the bread. Areas not explored in the sermon was our recognition of Christ in other people, and whether we would recognise Jesus if he were to return.

The first is the easier. Several times I have seen people whose behaviour shows Christ's love working through them and inspiring what they do. And then there are the well known one - Francis of Assisi, Theresa of Calcutta and many more.

As to the second - how many people have there been over the last 2 millenia who have claimed to be the returned Messiah? Until recent years, those claiming this would probably have been executed for heresy; these days they would be detained in a psychiatric hospital. But how would we go about recognising Him were He to return?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cloud and the angelic hosts might be a bit of a giveaway

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did the whole thing on strangers.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We surely encounter Jesus often on our living faith journeys, not only through other people in example or words but also through the scriptures, prayer, music, the church, etc, and of course through the breaking of the bread.

As Jesus himself said, there will be no mistaking him.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gee D: As to the second - how many people have there been over the last 2 millenia who have claimed to be the returned Messiah?
The interesting thing about the story is: Jesus never claimed to be the Messiah towards the Emmaus travellers. He didn't say "Hey, I'm Jesus". They recognized Him when He shared things.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They recognized him when he broke things. Because, in the breaking of the bread, we recognize the God who consented to break that we might be made whole.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, in the breaking of the bread, we are made whole - that was one of the points of our sermon.

But why did it take them so long? Is that a necessary part of the episode, or is this being too scholastic? They, and we in our turn, take a long time to recognise Christ.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
The interesting thing about the story is: Jesus never claimed to be the Messiah towards the Emmaus travellers.

I think this statement is too timid by half. This quoted passage clearly identifies "the Christ" [i.e., the Messiah] with "himself", and frankly with the "Jesus of Nazareth" in v. 19.
quote:
And he said to them, "...Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory." And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
And, while we're at it, here is the link missing from the opening post: Luke 24:13-35.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's clear that Luke in writing his Gospel made it clear to his readers that it was Christ on the road with Cleopas and his companion. It's just as clear that Cleopas and his companion were ignorant of this until Jesus broke bread. Which, presumably, means that as Jesus explained the Scriptures he was saying "this was to happen to the Christ" rather than "this was to happen to me", and never identified himself explicitely.

Although it is possible that all along that road Jesus was saying "The Christ had to die, and I am Jesus" and they simply didn't hear him. But, it does seem unlikely.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
But why did it take them so long? Is that a necessary part of the episode, or is this being too scholastic? They, and we in our turn, take a long time to recognise Christ.

We're told they were kept from recognizing him, so maybe God had something to do with it. But I think humanly a big part of it was just not expecting to see a dead man alive again.

[I love this story. The humor as they say to Jesus, "Are you the only one in all Jerusalem who hasn't heard...?" and he answers "What things?" He did a good job keeping a straight face I think.
[Snigger]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan Cresswell, thank you for pointing out the perfectly obvious point in LeRoc's post, which went whizzing several miles over my head.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In last Sunday's sermon, the preacher suggested the interesting possibility that Cleopas's companion might be his wife. To be honest, I had always thought of both travellers as male. Does the text gramatically leave open the possibility of the second traveller being female?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
We surely encounter Jesus often on our living faith journeys, not only through other people in example or words but also through the scriptures, prayer, music, the church, etc, and of course through the breaking of the bread.

As Jesus himself said, there will be no mistaking him.

Indeed. But in the same way as Jesus said that the religious leaders of his day had misunderstood the Scriptures and therefore didn't recognise him when he came, can we be so sure we have not done the same thing and have similarly got it completely wrong?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think there's any certainty of anything.

But, if the Emmaus story can be used to illuminate the question of recognising Jesus when he returns, there may well be some unmistakable eye-opening moment. That could be that the instant of his return will be so extraordinary that it can be nothing else. It could be that Jesus will return quietly and tell us what we need to know before He reveals himself, so that his revelation will be correctly understood (or, at least, have a chance of being correctly understood).

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible also says that every eye shall see him, they shall mourn for the one they have pierced and he will come in great glory.

He won't be arriving like he did the first time.

The imagery used in the Bible cannot be less than that which it symbolises. I think it'll be fairly obvious who it is.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In last Sunday's sermon, the preacher suggested the interesting possibility that Cleopas's companion might be his wife. To be honest, I had always thought of both travellers as male. Does the text gramatically leave open the possibility of the second traveller being female?

Last year I heard a sermon which suggested that and started a thread on the Ship raising that very question. There were some very interesting replies.

The main point which was made was that John 19 25 records that "Mary, the wife of Clopas" was present at the crucifixion, and that it is reasonable to assume that she would be accompanying her husband on the road.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
The humor as they say to Jesus, "Are you the only one in all Jerusalem who hasn't heard...?" and he answers "What things?" He did a good job keeping a straight face I think.
[Snigger]

I remember discussing this passage years ago on ship (over 10 years ago, because I remember still being in the UK), and someone (Psyduck?) compared Jesus to Bugs Bunny tapping Elmer Fudd on the shoulder and saying "What's up, doc?" Didn't make it into my homily this year, but it's been in some reflections I've given previously. I don't think the playfulness of Jesus should be overlooked. As C.S. Lewis points out, it's hard to tell if playing with the 'resurrected' Aslan is more like playing with a puppy or a thunderstorm.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:

Last year I heard a sermon which suggested that and started a thread on the Ship raising that very question. There were some very interesting replies.

The main point which was made was that John 19 25 records that "Mary, the wife of Clopas" was present at the crucifixion, and that it is reasonable to assume that she would be accompanying her husband on the road.

As I understand it, "Clopas" cannot be the same person as "Cleopas" as the names are actually etymologically different and come from different languages.

But I wish I could remember where I read that!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
The Bible also says that every eye shall see him, they shall mourn for the one they have pierced and he will come in great glory.

He won't be arriving like he did the first time..

But he comes to us every day in the stranger and we often fail to see him.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you Leo, that was one of the points I was trying to make in the OP - we can see Christ in the young Salvation Army officer helping the homeless man in the street; we can see Him in the smile of a woman in the congregation at the Peace; we can see Him in the most unexpected places and at the most unexpected times.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, but that's a different thing. Mudfrog was referring to Christ's second coming.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where in the NT do we hear of a 2nd Coming.?

The word is Parousia and it is never used in the plural. There is only one coming. Begun at Bethlehem and continuing until the Consummation.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The New Testament is full of references to Christ returning in glory. Look it up. Pray, where is the term Most Holy Trinity in the New Testament?
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

He won't be arriving like he did the first time..

But he comes to us every day in the stranger and we often fail to see him.
What does that even mean? That somehow he has possessed someone? Is Christ really in other people?

Or is the 'inasmuch as ye do it to the least...', for example, actually more about our attitude towards God and others and not so much a case of Jesus is inside everyone?

To be honest, Jesus doesn't need to come to me every day in the stranger because he's already with me.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Thank you Leo, that was one of the points I was trying to make in the OP - we can see Christ in the young Salvation Army officer helping the homeless man in the street; we can see Him in the smile of a woman in the congregation at the Peace; we can see Him in the most unexpected places and at the most unexpected times.

And I don't deny it as far as that is concerned - Jesus himself was told 'no one can do these things except that God is with him.' So yes, we do see
the example of Christ in Christlike actions; but I don't believe this is Jesus 'coming to us.'

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Where in the NT do we hear of a 2nd Coming.?

The word is Parousia and it is never used in the plural. There is only one coming. Begun at Bethlehem and continuing until the Consummation.

Read your Bible.
Hebrews 9:28
"...so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin, but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I think there's a definite both/and situation.

Jesus came to us, incarnate as a babe in Bethlehem, living a life in Judea teaching and healing, crucified for remission of our sins, raised, ascended, glorified to heaven where he reigns. That was the start of his work to form a new people, grafting new branches on the stump of Israel. That work is ongoing, and when he has formed his Church he will return to conclude that work, Consummation is a good word - He will return to claim the Church as His Bride.

But, it is also true that although there will be that specific future event when He comes again to finish the work started in Bethlehem, He also comes to us today. We have dramatic experiences recorded in Scripture, Paul on the road to Damascus (where, unlike the Road to Emmaus, there was no doubting who Saul met on the road). I think there are times when people still have real (though not necessarily dramatic) encounters with the risen Christ. We all, in some real sense, hear Jesus say "follow me" - if we don't really hear Jesus speak those words who do we actually follow? It's mystical, and mysterious, but nonetheless real.

So, we do meet Christ today in various ways. And, He will come again in the fullness of His glory to claim the Church as His Bride. Both are true.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

Jesus came to us, incarnate as a babe in Bethlehem, living a life in Judea teaching and healing, crucified for remission of our sins, raised, ascended, glorified to heaven where he reigns. That was the start of his work to form a new people, grafting new branches on the stump of Israel. That work is ongoing, and when he has formed his Church he will return to conclude that work, Consummation is a good word - He will return to claim the Church as His Bride.

But, it is also true that although there will be that specific future event when He comes again to finish the work started in Bethlehem, He also comes to us today. We have dramatic experiences recorded in Scripture, Paul on the road to Damascus (where, unlike the Road to Emmaus, there was no doubting who Saul met on the road). I think there are times when people still have real (though not necessarily dramatic) encounters with the risen Christ. We all, in some real sense, hear Jesus say "follow me" - if we don't really hear Jesus speak those words who do we actually follow? It's mystical, and mysterious, but nonetheless real.

So, we do meet Christ today in various ways. And, He will come again in the fullness of His glory to claim the Church as His Bride. Both are true.

Yep, no problem with that.
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

Good summary - but let's not miss out a very important part. God is present with and within us as the Holy Spirit.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Yes, the Holy Spirit is present in and with us. That's a very important part of the Christian life.

I was trying to keep some distinctiveness between the risen Christ and the Spirit.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What does that even mean? That somehow he has possessed someone? Is Christ really in other people?

Or is the 'inasmuch as ye do it to the least...', for example, actually more about our attitude towards God and others and not so much a case of Jesus is inside everyone?

To be honest, Jesus doesn't need to come to me every day in the stranger because he's already with me.

Not only with you, surely, if John 17:26 means anything. Not possession, more mutual relationship?

[Fixed link. Mamacita, Host]

[ 07. May 2014, 15:30: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What took them so long? They were in grief over their friend's crucifixion. We see what we expect to see. We are not cameras. The eye registers a human being and the brain tells them it's a stranger. It can't tell them it's Jesus because it knows that Jesus is dead. That fact is now hard-wired into their subconscious. We don't see with our eyes. We "see" with our brains. And sometimes our brains get it wrong.
When they realize who he really is, the brain can't cope with the intractable contradiction.

[ 08. May 2014, 10:36: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How many people have there been over the last 2 millenia who have claimed to be the returned Messiah?... But how would we go about recognising Him were He to return?

Good question!

Recognition, or the lack of it, of the Christ is a repeated issue throughout the New Testament.

Surely He would never have been crucified if He had been recognized. Or would He?

My own denomination, as, you note, have many others, claims to have solved this question. But how would anyone know?

Logically the answer should lie in a recognition that the Scriptures have been fulfilled - as was apparently the case with Cleopas and his friend.

But it seems as if the "breaking of bread" was the more significant factor. This would make it more a matter of the heart than the mind.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lecture I attended said the ultimate Bible study - imagine being taught the Bible by Jesus in person! - didn't make the connection for them; that intellectual study is not enough. Recognizing who God is requires personal revelation.

Message today - study the Bible, but also ask God to reveal himself to you, don't rely on study alone to open your eyes to who God is.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The breaking of bread--

This is a very Jewish custom. It is usually in the evening, after the sun had set (consequently it was a new day). Usually the host of the meal breaks the bread and gives it to the guests.

As the two disciples and the stranger entered Emmaus, we are told the stranger was acting as if he was continuing on, but the disciples ask the stranger to stay overnight with them. Now, normally it would have been Cleopas who would have broken the bread and given it to the guest. However, the guest becomes the host takes the bread and breaks it. Immediately the disciples recognize who is with them, and immediately he disappears.

Another interesting point about "Emmaus." No one knows exactly where it was at. There four possible locations, if it were a real town. One of the older versions of Luke, the Codex Bezae, says the location was "Oulammaus". In the LXX Oulamaus was the place where Jacob encountered God in his dreams (Jacob's Ladder). Here the disciples have their own personal encounter with God,

[ 12. May 2014, 03:31: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often wondered why Jesus disappears. One second they see him. The next they don't. Has something happened to Jesus or has something happended to them? Or both.

They might have blanked out with shock. What would the other disciples say when they heard about it? "What, you recognised him and you let him go? Are you mad?"

And Jesus, however he left, may have done so because they just weren't strong enough to be shocked any more. Miracle or no miracle, a vanishing act might have been the kindest thing for him to do. People in the past had died from less.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let him go? I think the point of the resurrection (one of them, anyway) is to make it clear that nobody lets Jesus go or makes him stay, he is the all-powerful one who has chosen freely to be with us. Someone who walks through walls and ignores distances as if they were of no moment is not someone you can tackle and expect to keep hold of. [Biased] He is, however, someone you can count on to be with you, according to his promise.

As for why he left--I think that cliché, "My work here is done," sums it up. The whole point of the meeting was a) the Bible study, capped off with b) the confirmatory moment at the breaking of bread. Once they had recognized him, there was no need for him to remain. He had places to go (Jerusalem, by the accounts), people to see. Why hang around to let everyone exclaim and make the same amazed remarks he'd already heard time and again? Up and at 'em ! Their job was to get their butts back on the road to Jerusalem, where they could share what they had learned and seen with their fellow believers. As well as being encouraged by those people's reports.

No time to waste, I think.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I really do like that Lamb Chopped - it is an analysis that rings with me.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except Lamb chopped how do you deal with John 20:17

quote:
from the ESV
Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Why would Jesus say that if physical contact did not restrain him.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

quote:
from the ESV
Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

DISCLAIMER; I am not an expert on NT Greek vocabulary. I hope that someone who knows more than I will post on this point.
The key word here is απτου, which your translation gives as 'cling'. I think that's quite accurate--not 'touch' but 'cling'. My impression is that Mary plastered herself against Jesus' feet. She needed to move, psychologically as well as physically, beyond clinging to Jesus as he was immediately after the resurrection.

I think the message was not, "Don't touch me.", but "Move beyond the present moment."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard it preached that way many times.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes but to cling is to hold onto someone. Touching does not necessarily restrict their movement, clinging does.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
from the ESV

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon
Yes but to cling is to hold onto someone. Touching does not necessarily restrict their movement, clinging does.

I don't get your point. The Greek says 'cling', not 'touch'.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped
quote:
As for why he left--I think that cliché, "My work here is done," sums it up. The whole point of the meeting was a) the Bible study, capped off with b) the confirmatory moment at the breaking of bread.
Perhaps the reason he left was revealed by Rembrandt as the waiter approached with the check? (sorry, I can't get a link to the picture).
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

You said!

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I think that's quite accurate--not 'touch' but 'cling'. My impression is that Mary plastered herself against Jesus' feet. She needed to move, psychologically as well as physically, beyond clinging to Jesus as he was immediately after the resurrection.

Note I am pointing out that it is not touch that is the problem but cling. To cling is to hold on. You are immediately moving to the metaphorical without considering the literal.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Note I am pointing out that it is not touch that is the problem but cling. To cling is to hold on. You are immediately moving to the metaphorical without considering the literal.

In your first reference to this passage you said
quote:
Clinging is more than physical contact; it is physical restraint. Not all physical contact is physical restraint.

AIUI the problem is that the Vulgate translation of this phrase, Noli me tangere, left many people with the impression that Jesus said, "Don't touch me."

Moo

[ 17. May 2014, 13:29: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

quote:
from the ESV

Jengie

He said it, IMHO, for her sake, not for his own.

"Stop clinging to me"--why? for I have not yet ascended. THEN you can cling to me all you want. Right now, there is work to do, people to see. Get up, go tell the good news! Time is short. I will be with you only forty days. Up, let's be on our way! Go tell the disciples, just as I told you."

PS: I hear him saying "stop clinging to me" in a laughing tone of voice. How else would you address someone who has got you round the knees and is fervently hugging you and refusing to let you go? A combination of love, joy and surprise. "Enough all ready, stop!" [Big Grin]

[ 17. May 2014, 13:38: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Lets put it this way. Yes it is restraint physical restraint but Lamb chopped started this with Jesus not being restrained.

It seems to me that this reaction acknowledges that restraint.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Huh? We started off talking about Emmaus. It made no sense there to talk of anyone physically restraining him (as if that were possible).

The same applies to this episode. Jesus can vanish, right? The only restraint on him physically is due to good manners. Which he has in abundance.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016