homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Searching for suitable scripture

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Searching for suitable scripture
Nenuphar
Shipmate
# 16057

- Posted      Profile for Nenuphar   Email Nenuphar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this is the right place to post this. A dear friend of ours is being ordained as Deacon at the end of the month, and we are looking for a suitable verse of scripture ( or similar) to inspire him in his ministry. Have my venerable shipmates any suggestions?
Posts: 161 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Oink

It's been suggested backstage that this thread would be better-served by the denizens of Kerygmania.

Bookmarks at the ready ...

Piglet, All Saints host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first thing that comes to mind is not directly from scripture, but from the (Roman Catholic) ordinal for deacons, said by the bishop as he hands the newly ordained books of gospels:

quote:

“receive the Gospel of Jesus Christ whose heralds you have become. Believe what you read, teach what you believe and practice what you teach.”

The second thing that came to mind was from 1 Tim 3:8a, 9

quote:

Deacons likewise must be honorable... holding to the mystery of faith with a clear conscience.

I preached a whole homily at some point, early in my diaconate, about what it means to cling to a mystery.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Anglican tradition, a few passages that are traditionally used during the ordination of a deacon are:

Jeremiah 1:4-9
Psalm 84
Psalm 119:33-40
2 Corinthians 4:1-6
1 Timothy 3:8-13
Acts 6:2-7
Luke 12:35-38
Luke 22:24-27

Also,
Ecclesiasticus 39:1-8

The full order of service can be found in the Book of Common Prayer, pp. 537-47.

[ 15. June 2014, 03:36: Message edited by: GCabot ]

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nenuphar
Shipmate
# 16057

- Posted      Profile for Nenuphar   Email Nenuphar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you very much. I'll look them all up. But please feel free to add to the list if the Spirit inspires you!
Nenuphar
Shipmate
# 16057

Sorry for the double post. I was too late to add that my friend is a married man being ordained to the Roman Catholic Permanent Diaconate, a burning desire of his which he is now able to fulfil after 33 years in the medical profession - though I'm not sure this additional information affects the choice of inspirational inscription in his commemorative gift!
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hart's post above "…whose heralds you have become…" put me in mind of this
quote:
How beautiful upon the mountains
are the feet of the messenger who announces peace,
who brings good news,
who announces salvation
from Isaiah 52.7

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The opening post sounds like a search for a motto. How about this:
quote:
Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. ¹
Always useful, especially at committee meetings and at meetings with the bishop.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Ephesians 4:14-16 ?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Roselyn
Shipmate
# 17859

- Posted      Profile for Roselyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something from St Francis, a deacon e.g.
We must not be wise and prudent according to the flesh. Rather, we must be simple, humble, pure. We should never desire to be over others. Instead, we ought to be servants who are submissive to every human being for God’s sake. The Spirit of the Lord will rest on all who live in this way and persevere in it to the end. He will permanently dwell in them. They will be the Father’s children who do his work. They are the spouses, brothers and mothers of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Posts: 98 | From: gold coast gld australia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016