homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Commentary on Job?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Commentary on Job?
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to buy a commentary on Job, and short of getting to a really good library and having a look at various different options (which I can't do, for various reasons, in the near future), I thought asking here for recommendations would be my best bet.

Which commentary/ies would people recommend, and why?

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are you looking for in a commentary?

If you want erudite, yet dated, discussion of the difficult linguistic problems in translating an almost certainly corrupt text, Marvin Pope's contribution to the Anchor Bible Commentaries would be just up your alley.

If you want theological reflection on human suffering in light of Job, I'd go for Gustavo Gutierrez's On Job. My Patristic Exegesis professor called this the finest work of patristic exegesis written in the twentieth century. That said, it's not written in commentary form.

For a commentary with a theological bent, you might want to go for volume 4 of the New Interpreter's Bible, which contains a Job commentary by Carol Newsom. You'd also get Maccabees and Psalms bound with it, if either of those interest you.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would also add Norman Habel's commentary, if you want a pretty good academic book.

But, as always, it depends on what you really need it for. Serious academic research? Sermon preparation? Bible study (personal or small group)? Each will point you in a different direction.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My most immediate need is for something that I can use to help me run a discussion group on Job, so probably a highly academic commentary (such as the Anchor one) wouldn't be quite the thing.

I have ordered Gutierrez's book on Job, the principle that I know his writings on liberation theology already and also that it was fairly cheap secondhand. I will see how I go with that, and then maybe think about a commentary if I need it.

Thanks for your replies!

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst fearing that I've stumbled into the art of thread necromancy, considering the last post was in November, I thought I should possibly add an alternative - Robert Alter does a very good series on literary/poetical commentary on the Old Testament. I enjoy all his works, and he's done one which includes Job, going cheap on Amazon at the mo.

x

AV

[ 24. January 2015, 07:37: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had Norman Habel as an Old Testament professor. He was also a drama coach, and I did a couple of plays under him.

I second the recommendation of his commentary on Job, though I would say it is somewhat dated.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found Robert Gordis's two books on Job (The Book of God and Man and The Book of Job: Commentary, New Translation and Special Studies) to be some of the most illuminating and thought provoking material when I was doing a special study on Elihu in Job - but it may be a bit more than you are looking for.
[If I could have afforded them that is what I have bought. Norman Habel's commentary was a reliable second choice.]

[ 28. January 2015, 11:57: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016