homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I posted % just before without crashing it, not with anything else, so it's not just the % sign.

And why haven't we discussed crime statistics? We've discussed a fair few other topics. To the embarrassment of some of the café residents.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad the cafe thread showed up on the front page or I would have been confused [Smile]

Come on cafe, work, I want to boast about our impromtu mini shipmeet.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What mini Shipmeet would that be Cattyish?

Were are in here.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well ship cafe's still down, five of us are in Tumbleweed and alex has found that %s means string descriptor in printf - http://irc.essex.ac.uk/www.iota-six.co.uk/c/c2_printf_and_scanf.asp .

Hope that helps. (Tumbleweed link is in my sig.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You really broke it this time, it's still down!

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ican't get in but I guess its down for everyone then!

*really not impressed with the cafe at the moment*

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got it!.

Apparently the sequence "%s" was within a line...

Syntax for Printf command denotes %s is the first operand after the free text... so it would appear that the client thinks its sending a null operand... and crashing..

You'll need to parse for it and quote it..

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish people would stop screwing around with the cafe just to shut it down for fun and I wish that it had sound.

[Frown] [Disappointed]

I am moderately angry: will try other cafes parallel to the ship.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I wish people would stop screwing around with the cafe just to shut it down for fun and I wish that it had sound.

[Frown] [Disappointed]

I am moderately angry: will try other cafes parallel to the ship.

No one did that. No one wants the Cafe to shut down. Everyone wants it to work properly. Finding out what is causing it to shut down is the goal.

I wish it had sound too.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not working for me, and I've been using it successfully until now. Here's what I got when I tried to log in:

quote:
IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : socketConnect at line -2
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : <init> at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 98
java.lang.Thread : run at line -1

I'm running Firefox 3.0.6 on Windows XP Pro, Java 6.

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Living in Gin, that's what everyone gets, and it's the normal response when the café is down. It crashed on Saturday evening (UK time) and has not reset itself as it usually does. After it was realised that the café was not stable it was set to reset within about half an hour, but not this time.

We have spotted that one of the things that crashes the café is certain urls being posted. Melon asked, further up this thread and in the café, to note which urls are causing the crash so he can patch whatever the problem is. What you are seeing over the past few pages is people recording what happened before or when the café crashed, and quite often doublechecking to see if it really was that url that caused it.

Sir Kevin, when Gwaelod was in, he was almost certainly checking to see what happened as they hadn't seen it, which is why, after asking you, I posted one of the urls which was known to crash the café to show what was happening. This last time, the café went down with a few of us in there, and when it came up we doublechecked what had caused the problem, crashing the café again, but this time terminally, so it seems.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It crashes without there being a dodgy url posted. Will crash to %s in a sentence as well.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
it would appear that the client thinks its sending a null operand... and crashing..

If that were so it would just crash your client, and not the server. The client isn't crashing, it just gets disconnected.
Posts: 230 | From: Cardiff | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Revelle

Ship's Bassist for Hire
# 8554

- Posted      Profile for Revelle   Author's homepage   Email Revelle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am much more bored today without my cafe.

[Frown]

--------------------
"We need our Bible Belt to hold up our Truth Trousers." -Grits

Posts: 350 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Revelle:
I am much more bored today without my cafe.

[Frown]

Hie thee unto Tumbleweed! See Doublethink's signature.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would, but I get some goofy Java error on Tumbleweed (yes, I have the latest version). Triple Distilled's is blocked at w*rk. I guess I'll have to do some of that stuff these people pay me to do...

[ 10. February 2009, 19:15: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I'll see what I can do about that.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bugger ... have only been in a couple of times since I moved to NZ - never anyone there. Thought I would try it tonight (sad and bored ... long story) But
quote:
IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : socketConnect at line -2
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : connect at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 98
java.lang.Thread : run at line -1

... then I checked this thread. Ah well. Faeces happen. [Frown]

PS ... I have no idea what I'm running!

[ 13. February 2009, 07:17: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ask again. We had a perfectly good café, with a devoted clientčle, why did you have to bust something which didn't need fixing? Whoever's responsible for this débâcle, are you so concerned with saving face that you won't roll back to a working system, or you can't?

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
I ask again. We had a perfectly good café, with a devoted clientčle, why did you have to bust something which didn't need fixing? Whoever's responsible for this débâcle, are you so concerned with saving face that you won't roll back to a working system, or you can't?

IIRC the old cafe used software that had a subscription fee and that was part of the reason for replacing it. So "rolling back to a working system" would involve spending money.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If SoF'd like to charge an Cafe access fee, why not.

I'd just like to suggest, and with all due respect and in gratitude, that the Cafe might be made to work again, even in its present, imperfect form. Rather unexpectedly, I've come to like its current form and layout, with its typical SoF feel.

Apart from being more stable, all it'd need would be a few sounds (with the option to turn them off), e.g. for new person joining the chat, person leaving the chat, new message in main room, new private conversation, as well as perhaps a real time indicator, linked to the user's computer time. Finally, an option to sign 'be right back' or perhaps a brief message to write yourself, e.g. about when you'll be back would be warmly appreciated.

I'd like to express once more my gratitude to the Management, and to Melon, Gwaelod and Pease and everyone else involved, for their marvellous work in running the Ship, and I sincerely hope that we shall be able again soon, and to our heart's content, to uphold and strengthen our community via the live SoF Cafe. The Cafe for many is an essential element in building trust and community spirit on the good old Ship (may she sail forever!), and I thus feel its functioning ought to find due, and perhaps urgent, attention in due time.

Thank you very much for kindly considering our hearfelt plea. [Overused]

[ 13. February 2009, 14:36: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daily weeping and gnashing of teeth begins for those left in outer darkness

[Waterworks]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FC, join us in Tumbleweed...
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
If SoF'd like to charge an Cafe access fee, why not.

And how d'you see this Cafe access fee working then?

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Thinks for a nanosecond

Badly.

[ 14. February 2009, 19:49: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, let's drop the word "fee". And how d'you see this Café access working then?

FD

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't been able to get in the past few times I have tried. I get the same message Zappa posted

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
OK, let's drop the word "fee". And how d'you see this Café access working then?

FD

There's never been a fee for using the cafe as far as I know. There used to be an annual membership fee for using the boards, but that was dropped years ago.

I thought this referred to the software licence fee that SoF would pay for attaching someone else's chatroom software to the site. That would certainly be payable but it's not usually a huge amount. However you wouldn't get the level of customization that there is on this one.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

I think I prefer function to customisation. You'll tell me next that ontologically it's a chatroom, and that whether or not one can actually chat is neither here nor there.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no view at all on it since it's quite a long time since I went in the SoF chat room - I just have this thing about factual accuracy. [Smile]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It should be back now. In addition to crashing in the normal way, every so often it crashes in an "I'm dead but I won't admit it" way. Pease is planning to fix this by using stronger café-killer on restart.

The sounds have been ordered, and I hope we'll have them in the next few weeks.

We've started work on getting our new server code working with the café.

As to the %s error, it's almost certainly speech being interpreted as a printf string somewhere. The odd thing is that we found and fixed a bug like that, but porting that fix to the café doesn't seem to have made any difference. At this point it's likely to get fixed when we swap in the new server code.

I'm not sure what charging a fee to enter the café would change, but if the idea would make some of you feel better I'll be glad to give you my PayPal details.

--------------------
French Whine

Posts: 4177 | From: Cavaillon, France | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Melon [Big Grin]
Yep, it's working and I've wandered in, but there's no-one here so I'll have to talk to myself - either that or go and do something outrageous like work or the ironing!!!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melon:
...I'm not sure what charging a fee to enter the café would change, but if the idea would make some of you feel better I'll be glad to give you my PayPal details.

Don't believe him, folks. I once tried to compensate him for services and he made me donate it to an evangelical group. [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
he made me donate it to an evangelical group. [Big Grin]

Acolytes Anonymous???

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] I'm not at liberty to say. I've probably embarrassed him enough.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Fell over with the following URL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Children%27s_games

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that didn't last long. It's down again.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Up again, like a randy politician's trousers after the division bell ...

--------------------

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
I once tried to compensate him for services and he made me donate it to an evangelical group. [Big Grin]

I promise that if Grits tries to pay me lots of money I'll make her donate it to a liberal group.

--------------------
French Whine

Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just uploaded a new version that should automatically update you when you next enter the cafe.

This new version stops the % character from ever being sent as speech so the server doesn't get upset.

Posts: 230 | From: Cardiff | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee, Gwaelod, I was sort of enjoying the Cafe until you typed that.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

All is forgiven. It is working again. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crashed. Dunno what happened.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Must have been you, Wes. We are all still here. (Your avatar is too.)

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Down again? Was in with several shippies, then my entries stopped showing up.

Exited, started again. Just stays on login screen.

the relevant part of the logging window appears to be:
code:
Round trip = 203 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:message category="term" message_id="registered_login_failed">Login attempt failed</xcr:message>'
Disconnected

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

We are still in.

--------------------

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

If you get anything back from the server, it's running. That message looks to me like there was a problem with your username or password.

--------------------
French Whine

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

So, is there somewhere on this site to make confessions?

I had just agreed with Sioni that even Myrrh must be right sometimes.

Seems the Cafe just couldn't cope with that and crashed.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was me! I had just tried to register to register on another site - could that have done it?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

In again!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016