homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Café development for issues affecting more than three people are slow going. I suggest avoiding Ubuntu build 10.04 if the Café is really that important to you.

It's the next Long-Term Support build, so may I suggest that tests against the IcedTea and OpenJDK version of Java is put on the maintenance list?

This is likely to affect all used of Mint, Dell's next major release of Linux (as they are downstream of Ubuntu LTS) etc.

I'm just giving you all a heads-up.

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Alex, but I still don't understand why Ubuntu users won't be able to download their Java directly from Sun - regardless of whether it's in the repositories.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
Sorry Alex, but I still don't understand why Ubuntu users won't be able to download their Java directly from Sun - regardless of whether it's in the repositories.

Easier and safer for all concerned if it's coming from Canonical's repos...

Rather than having to muck about with tarballs...

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
regardless of the technical issues involved, bottom line is, and has been since this *redevelopment* - the SoF cafe is not something anyone who is in a position to do anything about it gives a toss about - if they did, there would have been sound at least a long while ago

[ 17. February 2010, 21:03: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sound demand, methinks. Thank you.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in the Ubuntu/Linux/Mint crowd right now. Plan on the big upgrade in the spring.

I haven't had sound since the Cafe revamp however many years back -- and I really need the sound to be able to use it properly. So I don't go to the Cafe much. I used to really enjoy it.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
may I suggest that tests against the IcedTea and OpenJDK version of Java is put on the maintenance list?

Absolutely. And we do appreciate the heads-up.

I apologize for the snark; it just does seem like the Café is very slow to be updated.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Linux compatiblility is going to be more of an issue over time, as mass marketed netbooks are starting to come out with it as an OS.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:

Easier and safer for all concerned if it's coming from Canonical's repos...

Rather than having to muck about with tarballs...

No, still not with you. Are you really saying that there's a big risk in downloading a product from Sun Microsystems? A risk so great that our volunteer developers should spend extra time working on this just for the benefit of a handful of users?
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK - because I am sad and have no life I set up a VM, installed the latest test version of "Lucid Lynx" (i.e. Ubuntu 10.04) and attempted to log in to the cafe.

I had to install openJDK but once I'd done that it worked fine.

Everything seemed ok. I could see everyone, their icons etc. I successfully pm'd Alex so that works. I changed the font size.

I checked and it didn't have Sun Java installed so it's not like it was really using that.

So that's that. [Smile]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

wilson [Overused]
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally, development work on the Café costs money.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Incidentally, development work on the Café costs money.

Pots and pots of it

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roughly how much to get sound ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Dr. Evil]
One meeeeelion dollars, muahahaha
[/Dr. Evil]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:

Probably depends on how much else needs to be done in order to get it.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:

It would be nice to have a response to this because I'd be willing to contribute towards sound in the cafe.

Alternatively, if it would help, I'd be willing to donate some time as a programmer to the effort.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question: What happens when St Pixels transfer to a new server and are all re-done, as announced recently? Will the SoF Cafe be lost? (The addy is at stpixels.) [Ultra confused]

Thanks for your comment - whoever it may concern.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

pease
Tech Admin
# 6

- Posted      Profile for pease     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Question: What happens when St Pixels transfer to a new server and are all re-done, as announced recently? Will the SoF Cafe be lost? (The addy is at stpixels.)

We'll find a suitable vessl in which to keep it afloat...
Posts: 184 | From: sunset on the strong river | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Thanks. So we shall be at pease. [Overused]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

fallen off again [Frown]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

*and again*

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First time I've gone overboard for ages.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

I fell out, and it won't let me back [Frown] .

ETA: snap!

[ 24. March 2010, 22:24: Message edited by: rufiki ]

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Same here - cafe crashed on me..
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

And me.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Fell out.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Fell out AGAIN

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

Just got booted out and can't get back in.

Will try again in 15mins

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Same here. Cafe crashed.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am giving up for the night - gnight guys.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Fell out again.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Back in - with the ghost of Wes.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Fallen out again

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sig check

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Fell off again

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

So you did. Connection problems, praps? [Frown]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and splosh

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Fell out suddenly.. what happened?
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, too. Won't let me back in!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I'm getting a security warning before the Cafe log-in screen is loading:

quote:
The application's digital signature has an error. Do you want to tun the application? [...] The digital signature was generated with a trusted certificate but has expired.
FYI. Thank you. [Smile]

--------------------

Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can quite safely continue to use the software, nothing has changed, except time. Just tick the box to say you continue to trust the software as you have done for quite some time and carry on.

The certificate on the application has expired and a new one was ordered last week. We'll apply it as soon as we get it.

Posts: 230 | From: Cardiff | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Thought as much. Many thanks, Gwaelod.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Devs,

Any chance we could have support for https:// clickableURLs in the cafe, as well as http:// ones?

THanks

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

fell out again

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The Café has just crashed, I suspect - usual exception report - error at line 619 iirc.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Works fine for me. You might be stuck, however.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

fell off

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

fallen off again

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

definitely telling me the error is at line 619

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016