homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bubbles persist, but they have more room to bubble.

--------------------
French Whine

Posts: 4177 | From: Cavaillon, France | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems to work well for me, although I haven't tried all the features. Well done!

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bubbles take up way too much room, even with the decaff option -- it's the vertical space they hog that bugs me -- too much of the conversation disappears too quickly up the screen. Otherwise, fabulous! [Yipee]

[ 15. March 2008, 16:20: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Minor thing. Can you capitalize the "m" in "Ship's mess" so that it matches the other titiles?
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Works great! Congrats to the Ship's codecrunchers! Nice touch with the Molly and Gambit tributes! [Cool]
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got this error message and was booted:

quote:
Unexpected disconnection (java.io.EOFException)
java.io.DataInputStream : readByte at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 119
java.lang.Thread : run at line -1

[ 15. March 2008, 16:29: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've finally been kicked out with same error message as Arrietty got, and trying to sign back in got:
quote:
O Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : socketConnect at line -2
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : <init> at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 97

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also got disconnected at the same point. When I tried to reload the programme I got this error message after entering user name and password:

IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just on the Cafe at the same time as Curiosity killed... and I got this:
quote:

I hadn't done anything either immediately before it happened, it just popped up. Well, I had unplugged my laptop to carry it into the livingroom, but that doesn't seem like it ought to cause anything.

[ 15. March 2008, 16:35: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I was just on the Cafe with Curiosity killed... and I got this:

code:

I hadn't done anything either immediately before it happened, it just popped up. Well, I had unplugged my laptop to carry it into the livingroom, but that doesn't seem like it ought to cause anything.
We were both booted out at the same time. I haven't tried to get back in. (I take it as a sign that I have other things to do!)

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh look, I'm getting the same error message when I try to reconnect as Curiosity killed... and frin. Did Curiosity kill... the cafe, or has the cafe been frinished [Biased] ?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lowly Worm

Ship's Annelid
# 11663

- Posted      Profile for Lowly Worm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good, it's not just me who's been rejected, then. I was starting to develop a complex; feeling lowly, as it were...

--------------------
"Be here now, be somewhere else later. Is that so difficult?" - David Bader

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one who cannot log back in. Same sort of message.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It had indeed died. It's back again now. I blame it on Gort's message of congratulation.

--------------------
French Whine

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] I thought it was because I exited the ship's chat a little too abruptly and caused it to capsize or something.
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Actually, that's more likely to have done it. I knew it had to be your fault, I just didn't know why.

I have a newer version of the software to try - I'll install it a bit later.

--------------------
French Whine

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

[Sigh] I've never been known for delicacy. [Frown]

[is there a prefered method of exit? I simply closed the window.]

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melon:
Actually, that's more likely to have done it. I knew it had to be your fault, I just didn't know why.

I have a newer version of the software to try - I'll install it a bit later.

I'd suspected the capsizing was because of one of those submarines that gets lost...but it's all working again now (fingers crossed)
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Gort, seriously, closing the window should be fine, but the problems we've been chasing over the past few months have been related to disconnections, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one is too.

(edited to make a bit more sense)

[ 15. March 2008, 17:28: Message edited by: Melon ]

--------------------
French Whine

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
but you wanted us to see if we could break it [Smile] just to see if the bugs were fixed, didn't you?

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Indeed, and it's doing a lot better than on any of the previous trials, so I'm not entirely suicidal.

--------------------
French Whine

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by Melon:
Gort, seriously, closing the window should be fine...

Wheew. The timing of the crash and my exit was just too obvious. I'll try lingering over goodbyes next time!

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

I've found the problem!
quote:
O Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : disconnect all at Gort logoff -1

Remove that "disconnect all" line in the code and you should be good to go!
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still can't past the big blue box. *sigh*
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still hold to my original theory, or how else do we explain this [Paranoid] :

IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect) IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.Socket : zzzttzzt...Captain, confirmed heading at six zero degrees... depth 3metres, 2 metres, 1 metre, surfacing…arrghh!!!…Dive Dive Dive! Emergency! Zzzstzzzt…
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : disconnect at line -1

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amber32002:

IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect) IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.Socket : zzzttzzt...Captain, confirmed heading at six zero degrees... depth 3metres, 2 metres, 1 metre, surfacing…arrghh!!!…Dive Dive Dive! Emergency! Zzzstzzzt…

I need to stop staring at the screen quite so intently - I'm reading PlainSocket as SockPuppet, I keep wondering "how do they know?"

[ 15. March 2008, 18:39: Message edited by: Jon J ]

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

quote:
Originally posted by Jon J:
quote:
Originally posted by amber32002:

I need to stop staring at the screen quite so intently - I'm reading PlainSocket as SockPuppet, I keep wondering "how do they know?"
Sonar feedback, probably [Paranoid]
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay Cafe!

...Crap, now I have to learn how to install things on my twee Linux machine.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

Nor me!
Tried it with Firewall on - no.
Off - no.

Meh [Frown]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lowly Worm

Ship's Annelid
# 11663

- Posted      Profile for Lowly Worm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YAY! I'm in now. Looks fun. [Big Grin]

Small problem... My avatar isn't showing up for me... about half the people in the room can see it, and the other half cannot.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
"Be here now, be somewhere else later. Is that so difficult?" - David Bader

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I, and a few others, had problems with the private message popping up when typing in the main discussion and half the message ending up in the private message box. It happens when the private message is answered.

Also, would it be worth adding information about Gambit and Miss Molly in the bar and chapel? I've had a couple of conversations with people not knowing who Gambit in particular was.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ags:
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

Nor me!
Tried it with Firewall on - no.
Off - no.

Meh [Frown]

I had that trouble - and was apparently logged in a few hours ago even though my blue box window kept closing. I downloaded the new software and now it's working fine.

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did closing the window log me out, by the way? (Couldn't see a logout button!)

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

yes you are out

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's working for me now.. very snazzy!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I have to ask: Why is the cafe named after a chicken?
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Received XML = '<xcr:message category="term" message_id="bad_command_attribute_type">The user attribute is of the wrong type</xcr:message>'
Disconnected

My user attribute appears to be of the wrong type.
[Frown]

I feel so... snubbed.

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm running Win XP with Firefox. I get as far as the blue login, put my name and password (and I've checked it against the Firefox Password option) and nothing happens.

I have NoScript - would that make a difference and, if so, what should I put in the whitelist?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Overall, quite nice already!

A couple of suggestions:
  • Adjust the text sizes. I guess "very large" would be helpful for those with visual impairments (not good for normal sight though), but "small" is killing my rather good eyes.
  • Make decaff decaff. There's still graphics there, I would prefer a real text-only box.
  • Provide not only a list of who is in the current room, but also of all people logged in. Otherwise one has to run through the rooms to see who is in. Suggestion: split the people list, current room on top with avatars, other rooms on bottom without avatars but with location tag.
  • Frankly, I'm not sure what the point is of so many "static" rooms. People gather in one room anyway. The transient rooms are a cool idea though.
  • UBB-like graphic smilies, please.
  • I would love MUD-style emotes, i.e., a set of (aimable) text macros. Here's an example if you have no idea what I'm talking about. They really make chats lively in my experience.
  • Can we be given a choice to switch the comic-style speech bubbles off, please?
But the big one:
  • Make a constantly updated list of people logged on in the Cafe visible from the forum's website, e.g., in the sidebar below "Home". I used to seldom remember that there is a Cafe, and when I on occasion did remember, it was usually empty. I know there's a thread in All Saints, but I think something like this would really make the Cafe take off.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gave up on trying to figure out how to install anything on my EEE since the terminal window on a 7 inch screen is not kind to my old eyes.

But the good news is my Mac lets me on. YAY!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Lolly

Ship's Lollygagger
# 13347

- Posted      Profile for Lolly   Email Lolly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too keep getting an error:

"Unexpected disconnection (java.io.EOFException)
java.lang.Thread : run at line -1"

It doesn't appear that Gort signed off or Scotty tried to beam me up.

--------------------
And draw us near and bind us tight
all your children here in their rags of light - LC

Posts: 179 | From: East of the Sun, West of the Moon | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

OK crunch again - error message:
quote:

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I had a fun little 20-30 minutes and then got bumped out with:
quote:

for what it's worth.

Gotta go learn Hebrew, so I'll play more later!

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

I got tossed overboard with this missive:

quote:
java.io.DataInputStream : readByte at line 243
java.lang.Thread : run at line 613

Then I tried to get back and got this one:

quote:
IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line 333
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line 195
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line 182
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : connect at line 430
java.net.Socket : connect at line 520
java.net.Socket : connect at line 470
java.net.Socket : <init> at line 367
java.net.Socket : <init> at line 180
java.lang.Thread : run at line 613

It occured just about the time my online game automator for Kingdom of Loathing (also JAVA based) finished a run.

--------------------

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was inactive for quite a while - oer an hour - and it didn't boot me, but just after a burst of activity from me it chucked me out with this error message:

quote:

and the last bit of the logger said:

quote:
Consuming speech
Bubble not null
Chat rect 4936 4936
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<speech from="a821">God loves me now!</speech>'
Consuming speech
Bubble not null
Chat rect 4938 4938
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<user_counts>
<user_count roomid="reception" n="0"/>
<user_count roomid="room1" n="0"/>
<user_count roomid="room2" n="0"/>
<user_count roomid="room3" n="0"/>
<user_count roomid="room4" n="0"/>
<user_count roomid="room5" n="8"/>
<user_count roomid="room6" n="0"/>
<user_count roomid="room7" n="0"/>
</user_counts>'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<speech from="a864">EXACTLY!!!</speech>'
Consuming speech
Bubble not null
Chat rect 4938 4938
Buffer position = 0
</user_counts>'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<speech from="a840">bye AD (too late)</speech>'
Consuming speech
Bubble not null
Chat rect 4936 4936
Buffer position = 0
</user_counts>'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<speech from="a821">But that rmeinds me, I have to get to the 7-11 and purchase a powerball ticket</speech>'
Consuming speech
Bubble not null
Chat rect 4938 4938
Buffer position = 0
</user_counts>'
Buffer position = 0
</user_counts>'
Buffer position = 0
</user_counts>'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<speech from="a840">gambling is not seeding, spiff</speech>'
Consuming speech
Bubble not null
Chat rect 4938 4938
Buffer position = 0
</user_counts>'
Disconnected

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Message when I tried to get back in was:
quote:

prolly a good thing really - I need to concentrate on the other multitasking option

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got tossed, too--same error message.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same for me...

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED

Emma can log in without a hitch, but I can't. Same computer (Mac 10.4 with current version of Java).

Is it fussy about passwords with numbers in them?

I've tried while both logged-in and logged-out of the Ship.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Attempting to reconnect gets me:

quote:

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016