homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Alex, you're still here as a ghost. You won't get back in until you've left

It's what happens when you have a dodgy connection.

Please could you PM me when I can get back in/
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've just left as a ghost.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AAAAUUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'M SUFFERING MASSIVE PACKET LOSS AND NOT GETTING BACK INTO THE CAFE!!!!!

Please could someone let me know when I can get back in? I have IM clients running and can be got via Facebook as well.

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

FAO Hosts and admins.

Please could you advise how long the timeout is before users who have lost comms can log back into the cafe? EG - how long do "ghost" avatars take to time out?

Could this be clearly documented, please?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
you've left Alex

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

To H&A - I posted when panicked to the Perpetual Cafe Chat Thread on 04 Dec 2010 at around 10:55 - and left my phone number there. Please could you edit and remove my phone number?
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been looked after, Alex Cockell.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
FAO Hosts and admins.

Please could you advise how long the timeout is before users who have lost comms can log back into the cafe? EG - how long do "ghost" avatars take to time out?

The Ship - the boards and the cafe - are run by volunteers across several time zones. Issues are dealt with as and when people can get to them. A 24 hour plus wait for a response or a fix is not unreasonable.

I suggest that in future if you're unable to get into the cafe, you go and do something else for a few hours and then try again.

Tubbs
Member Admin

[ 06. December 2010, 14:07: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mattyou
Shipmate
# 15646

- Posted      Profile for mattyou   Email mattyou   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:
FAO Hosts and admins.

The Ship - the boards and the cafe - are run by volunteers across several time zones. Issues are dealt with as and when people can get to them. A 24 hour plus wait for a response or a fix is not unreasonable.

Indeed. However I think this was more of a technical question regarding the length of the timeout set in the software, if it is so simple an issue as that.

--------------------
Annoying SoF posters getting you down? Block them, and you'll never see their posts again: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/86159 (Requires Firefox + Greasemonkey add-in)

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But we don't know. And honestly, right now the cafe is not a priority for the staff. I'm sorry to say that, but we don't have enough time to manage everything, so we have to devote our time and energy to the areas of greatest traffic. That's not and has never been the cafe. I'm sorry, but for right now that is how it is.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If I remember correctly from when Melon was setting up the café he set it to reset every half an hour or so. So if you do go overboard, or it crashes, depending where in the half hour cycle the crash is, the whole thing resets in time and everyone can get back in.

And yes, the café is not very well used at the moment so no, it shouldn't be priority.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

For the record, I was simply asking a technical question about the current timeout config.

If it's possible - it would be useful if this could be communicated.

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For the record, I was simply asking a technical question about the current timeout config.

Based on experience in a previous online system support job, how long you're stuck in the system depends on what's happened. Most systems will boot out IDs where there's been no activity after a set time. - between 15 and 30 minutes. Clearing your cache and deleting your cookies may also help. (But it may not).

If you're well and truely stuck for whatever reason, then you may need to be booted out manually. And how long that takes depends on how long it takes someone to get round to it. As all the technical staff are volunteers, this may take a while.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
quote:

Based on experience in a previous online system support job, how long you're stuck in the system depends on what's happened. Most systems will boot out IDs where there's been no activity after a set time. - between 15 and 30 minutes. Clearing your cache and deleting your cookies may also help. (But it may not).

If you're well and truely stuck for whatever reason, then you may need to be booted out manually. And how long that takes depends on how long it takes someone to get round to it. As all the technical staff are volunteers, this may take a while.

Tubbs

Umm - I don't believe that clearing cache etc really has much of an impact on Java sessions... only really when browsing. But if it's the case that a timeout has been set (say) for 20 mins... maybe this could be dropped onto an FAQ or help page of sorts?

Means the query is headed off...

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
quote:
quote:

Tubbs

Umm - I don't believe that clearing cache etc really has much of an impact on Java sessions... only really when browsing. But if it's the case that a timeout has been set (say) for 20 mins... maybe this could be dropped onto an FAQ or help page of sorts?

Means the query is headed off...

This thread is the nearest you've got to an FAQs and Erin's post suggests that isn't going to change any time soon.

As a rule of thumb, if you are stuck in the cafe as a ghost, then you need to allow at least 30 minutes for the system to kick you out. (Not 20 minutes as per your post).

If you still can't get in, you'll need to wait for someone to reset the system. As per my previous post, a 24 hour plus wait for this to be done is not unreasonable. (And they won't contact any of the cafe users to tell them that stuff is fixed. You don't always get that with the services you pay for!)

Tubbs

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

And splosh!

This is being posted for a couple of reasons - to log times when the Café crashes, and secondly to tell others in the café that there's been a general crash - which is what I suspect has happened from the error report.

<typo>

[ 23. December 2010, 20:08: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And crash...! [Frown]

Just when we were rehearsing those Carols... [Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Confirmed - crashed out here...

*coughing, spluttering*

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crashed. Old traditions continued into a new year. Niiiiice. I think. [Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You're the only one crashed - sorry and all that

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

I am unable to log into the cafe for whatever vigil is running - this was also the case at 4:20 today.

Cannot read XML from server (org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: XML document structures must start and end within the same entity.)
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser : parse at line 249
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl : parse at line 284
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder : parse at line 124
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : processData at line 302
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 127
java.lang.Thread : run at line 662

Please could someone in H&A investigate.. and may I suggets that if the intention is for the cafe to be running for a vigil - that a problme-reporting process is left open... maybe one thread int he whole of Styx?

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Second attempt got me in to a full view of users - and then crashed out.
Cannot read XML from server (org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The value of attribute "xmlns:xcr" associated with an element type "null" must not contain the '<' character.)
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser : parse at line 249
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl : parse at line 284
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder : parse at line 124
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : processData at line 302
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 127
java.lang.Thread : run at line 662

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

When you were struggling Alex, there were over 50 people in the café and it wasn't coping well

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to all of you who labour on this resource. With commiserations to those who found it hard to "get in" and "stay in", the Cafe was a remarkable place today and later this evening. I caught about half the Wake (which was marvellous), checked in again this eve after a Java update, and all seemed well.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
When you were struggling Alex, there were over 50 people in the café and it wasn't coping well

It may not have been designed to support that many people being logged in at once which is why some experienced problems. I'm sorry about that.

BTW, The board software only allows you to open or close the boards - all or nothing!

Tubbs
Member Admin

[ 10. January 2011, 10:26: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

... and splash! [Frown]

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
same here - not waving any more so must be presumed drowning...

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just fell out of it ... sploosh!

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Back in. [Smile]

--------------------

noor
Apprentice
# 16215

- Posted      Profile for noor   Email noor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm running Chrome - the chat room feature doesn't seem to work with this OS. Any known work-arounds?
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not here. I used to be able to chat at school: no more.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome Noor. You may wish to post on the newcomer's thread in All Saints. Can you work around Chrome?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
noor
Apprentice
# 16215

- Posted      Profile for noor   Email noor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm kinda weak working with Chrome right now - I'm beta-testing the Google Cr-48 notebook. I'm not a developer, rather testing as a "typical user". The chat feature works in the Chrome browser in Ubuntu and Windows, but not in Chrome OS. Just wondering if anyone here had some tips.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by noor:
I'm kinda weak working with Chrome right now - I'm beta-testing the Google Cr-48 notebook. I'm not a developer, rather testing as a "typical user". The chat feature works in the Chrome browser in Ubuntu and Windows, but not in Chrome OS. Just wondering if anyone here had some tips.

Do you have Sun Java or OpenJDK installed?
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
grr, could get in earlier today - when I wasn't free to talk - now my &^(&ing pc is not letting me back in.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
noor
Apprentice
# 16215

quote:

I do not have java yet, apparently- working on it. I've found a walkthrough, but it involves rooting the thing and I'm a little out of my depth with that.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by noor:
quote:

I do not have java yet, apparently- working on it. I've found a walkthrough, but it involves rooting the thing and I'm a little out of my depth with that.
Haven't Google packaged Java up put it in their repository?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a "how to" or a place where errors can be explained for the cafe? 20 odd pages in this thread seemed just a little too much to wade through. I just thought I would try the cafe tonight. I presumed username and password in the Java window is the same as for the boards. Or is a special registration required? Perhaps there is a max number of users/bandwidth problem? I shouldn't think that Java would care much about OS and browser etc. But for full info my OS info from $ cat /proc/version is
code:
Linux version 2.6.35-22-generic (buildd@rothera) (gcc version 4.4.5 (Ubuntu/Linaro .4.4-14ubuntu4) ) 
#33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010

Using Linux Mint version of this. Firefox, Arora, Chromium all initiate Java fine the same way. The Java log window reports the stuff below, comment lines by me start with a "#".
code:
  Socket thread started
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<contexts>
<user_context xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a3033" name="reception"/>

# the id= number changes on attempts.

</contexts>'
Context changed event fired
<commands/>

Round trip = 0 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<abilities>
<user_ability xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a3034" name="visitor"/>
</abilities>'
No consumer for nodes with name of 'abilities'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:available_commands>
<xcr:command name="commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_command"/>
<xcr:command name="registered"/>
<xcr:command name="unregistered"/>
</xcr:available_commands>'
New commands incoming
Command list complete for current context
New commands event fired
<registered pass="xxxxxx" user="no_prophet"/>

#removed password above

Round trip = 288 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:message category="term" message_id="registered_login_failed">Login attempt failed</xcr:message>'
Disconnected

[ 07. March 2011, 12:30: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

That sort of error comes up when the café has crashed. It does reset every so often so that any crash is not usually permanent. However, that might be a sign in error. I don't normally get a long error message if I sign in incorrectly.

Your sign in is the same as the boards - so for me it's my real name and the password I was sent for the boards. If you did that, do you have an underscore as part of your name? Because not all the extra punctuation and other symbols were set up initially as possible in sign in names.

The café starts getting overloaded at 50 people in there, which sounds unlikely for last night.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you did that, do you have an underscore as part of your name? Because not all the extra punctuation and other symbols were set up initially as possible in sign in names.

Don't know about the limitations on the cafe's implementation of java. Underscores are supposed to be allowed with java since a 2006 bug fix for usernames I though. I'm afraid I picked up the underscore habit from the Unix days. I can try again later today. Thanks for the post.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Nope. I think unless the underscore goes, I probly won't be having any cafe chats. If someone is doing java prg'ing perhaps they can be asked if this is indeed the problem or if they plan to implement the fix for underscores. No knowing what I might be missing otherwise - so just don't tell me! [Biased]
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Stuck as a ghost. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Stuck as a ghost. [Paranoid]

Replaced ethernet cable now, using brandnew one. Now there's hoping...

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I suspect the café might have crashed - not 100% sure because I've had recent internet connection updates which came with health warnings.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I fell overboard ...

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yep, it died

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

It's back again now, I've just been in and it's like the Marie Celeste.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

She's back
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

And sploosh...

Cafejust crashed me out.

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And sploosh...

Cafejust crashed me out.

I'm in now - anyone welcome

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016