homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just visited briefly and quite enjoyed it. I'm delighted that when I sign in with my real name (as I do for the Ship), it recognizes me as Scarlett....all dressed up with my dogsbody icon. [Cool]

I'll be peeking in more often.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Well, there were 21 in there a few minutes ago, but I've just fallen overboard.

Can't get back in at the moment, but will towel down and try again later.

was running pretty smoothly up to then though.

'Later' was successful - hooray.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can not get in! I try to log in, seem to be recognised, am immediately disconnected. Bother

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having mucho fun in the Gator Lounge right now. I like this new cafe [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I logged in, waited for ages, and then got a string of commands showing why I couldn't be connected. I tried to copy them, so I could paste them here, but nothing worked until I'd deleted the window they were in. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just uploaded a new version of the software that allows for clickable links in speech bubbles.

Just make sure you post proper links including the http:// bit - www.ship-of-fools.com on its own won't work.

Posts: 230 | From: Cardiff | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks a lot - that will be a big improvement!

[ 02. April 2008, 18:12: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrahamR
Shipmate
# 11299

- Posted      Profile for GrahamR   Author's homepage   Email GrahamR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwaelod:
I've just uploaded a new version of the software that allows for clickable links in speech bubbles.

It also seems to have allowed me to get into the cafe as well- thanks!

--------------------
My blog - theology, archaeology, science

Posts: 184 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't copy it, but what I get when I try to access the cafe is this:

Socket thread started
IO Error (java.net.SocketException: Malformed reply from SOCKS server)
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : readSocksReply at line -1
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : <init> at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 98
jave.lang.Thread : run at line-1

I hope I write that out correctly - and I really hope someone can tell me what to do to get into the Cafe. I'm on Firefox, if that makes any difference.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Malformed reply from SOCKS server'

Suggests you're using a proxy server somewhere along the line. Are you trying to access the cafe using a work's connection, a university or some other shared setup?

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Yes, mine is a work's connection - which I am allowed to use for my own needs as well. Does that mean I'm stuffed?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, it's crunched

quote:
Unexpected disconnection (java.io.EOFException)
java.io.DataInputStream : readByte at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 120
java.lang.Thread : run at line -1

is the message
quote:
IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : socketConnect at line -2
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line -1

when I tried to reconnect

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, it wasn't just me then!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got bumped. Tried to get back in with my old name and my new name, but neither works. But relieved I am not the only one!

[ 02. April 2008, 22:35: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well and truly crunched!
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I was booted out too.
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back in!
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unlike Gambit to empty the bar...

[Biased]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't think it was Gambit throwing us out, except because people were leaving.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

Ooh, Melon will be pleased. He's been willing the thing to crash for ages now [Smile]
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, so I just changed my name to Bullfrog.

Out of curiosity, I tried to sign on using my new name. When that didn't work immediately, I tried signing on with my old name (mirrizin), and noticed that both had somehow signed onto the chat cafe (universalist was the only one to witness this feat).

Since name change amnesties happen once every blue moon or so, I'm not sure this will be a long term problem, but it is kind of funny.

ETA: and then my new handle signed off as my old one signed on. Peculiar...

[ 03. April 2008, 03:46: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bullfrog - you have a login name (which you chose when you registered and which never changes) and a display name (which is what is displayed on the boards and can be changed, but only during name-change amnesties).

When I log in to the cafe I use my login name, which isn't "Late Paul", but everyone sees me as "Late Paul".

That doesn't explain why you saw two of yourself though.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having a little break and trying to get in the cafe - but it won't open - is it just me?

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was working, but it isn't now because I've just killed it. Should be back with the right welcome text for the various rooms and support for brackets in usernames in the next 10 minutes or so.

--------------------
French Whine

Posts: 4177 | From: Cavaillon, France | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:
Bullfrog - you have a login name (which you chose when you registered and which never changes) and a display name (which is what is displayed on the boards and can be changed, but only during name-change amnesties).

When I log in to the cafe I use my login name, which isn't "Late Paul", but everyone sees me as "Late Paul".

That doesn't explain why you saw two of yourself though.

That's right, I never use my display name to log into the cafe, its always my login name which I use to er....log into the boards.
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I can't copy it, but what I get when I try to access the cafe is this:

Socket thread started
IO Error (java.net.SocketException: Malformed reply from SOCKS server)
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : readSocksReply at line -1
jave.lang.Thread : run at line-1

I hope I write that out correctly - and I really hope someone can tell me what to do to get into the Cafe. I'm on Firefox, if that makes any difference.

I use Firefox, and I've never had any problems logging in except at the times when no one can get on. My Firefox spell checker doesn't recognise 'Firefox' - oooh the irony!
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had no problem getting on last night using Firefox as well. It was using a MacBook.
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's back now, with the right text in the right places.

--------------------
French Whine

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

My daughter could get into the cafe from uni server from their halls - not sure if she can now as she's been home for the past couple of weeks. But she certainly was helping me test it during the testing period.

We were chatting in the cafe in preference to msn as a better format to use.

--------------------

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do just want to say, it's been a hoot visiting people in the/a Cafe again. The immediacy of chat is great, and fills in the humanity that is easily missed in posts of frozen text.

Thanks all.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just remembered a feature of the Goringe café that would be nice: a "recent" tab which told you the last ten or so recent visitors and how long ago they left...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Cafe now crunched - well I'm out

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too - I tried to reconnect 5 times: no joy.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too: just annoying script screen, then nothing happens.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...but now I'm back in.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

It died for the third time with the same error. I've just killed it yet again to install a patch that we hope will fix that particular bug. Should be back in the next ten minutes or so.

--------------------
French Whine

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

Can't log on at the moment - is anyone else having problems?
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Yep. I still can't log on either.

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too, an "unexpected error"

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

It's a conspiracy to make me go and clean the bathroom and sort out the cupboards! [Paranoid]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The error is:
quote:
IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : socketConnect at line -2
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line -1

should anyone want to know.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Aha... I'm in! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Scroll up... It took a bit longer than ten minutes, but it's back now.

--------------------
French Whine

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Yep, saw that! Thanks Melon - you must be putting a lot of time into all this - it's appreciated!

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

- Posted      Profile for Legodude_uk   Email Legodude_uk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Legodude_uk:
quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
My connection broke suddenly when I was in the cafe (wireless problems) and now I can't get back in. I get the login screen but can't get anywhere with it. I presume it thinks I'm still in there. This is my error message (but I changed the password and userid).

8< snip

Just had a similar problem to Jonah, was in, wireless connection dropped briefly, can't get back in now...

Socket thread started
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<contexts>
<user_context xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a1193" name="reception"/>
</contexts>'
Context changed event fired
<commands/>

Round trip = 188 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<abilities>
<user_ability xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a1194" name="visitor"/>
</abilities>'
No consumer for nodes with name of 'abilities'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:available_commands>
<xcr:command name="commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_command"/>
<xcr:command name="registered"/>
<xcr:command name="unregistered"/>
</xcr:available_commands>'
New commands incoming
Command list complete for current context
New commands event fired
<registered pass="qwertuiop" user="LDuk"/>

Round trip = 390 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:message category="term" message_id="registered_login_failed">Login attempt failed</xcr:message>'
Disconnected

(password and ID changed)

Thanks for all the work, looks great in there...but add me to the "not sure about the speech bubbles" list

Just fell out the cafe again (or got booted, if peeps don't like the Baron Knights they only had to say...) and I'm still getting a similar error to this one when trying to get back in...

--------------------
If a man is standing in a forest speaking but there are no women around to hear him...is he still wrong?

Posts: 2619 | From: The Home of the Saints | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

- Posted      Profile for Legodude_uk   Email Legodude_uk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fell overboard again, and can't get back in...

Night all...

--------------------
If a man is standing in a forest speaking but there are no women around to hear him...is he still wrong?

Posts: 2619 | From: The Home of the Saints | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

quote:
Yes, mine is a work's connection - which I am allowed to use for my own needs as well. Does that mean I'm stuffed?

Probably yes. It depends how friendly you are with IT.

You need to be able to avoid using the proxy server for this application.

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Hey people in there I was talking to a little while ago! My computer/cafe window decided to freeze and do its own thing for ages after I posted the flickr link so I didn't get anything after that! It's only just let me do anything - stupid machine! Will try and get back in...

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
Originally posted by Gwaelod:
quote:

Probably yes. It depends how friendly you are with IT.

You need to be able to avoid using the proxy server for this application.

Thank you for the answer. I shall retire and weep into my motley.

--------------------

Blaise
Apprentice
# 13556

- Posted      Profile for Blaise   Email Blaise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm new, so may just be doing something wrong here. And I'm not techy, so please bear with me.

When I try to use the Cafe I get a window asking if I want to 'find' or 'save'. Whichever option I choose, I then get a page saying that Windows/Nicrosoft can't open the file.

Any tips please?

--------------------
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside.

Posts: 7 | From: Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016