homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Things I Want To Know, etc. (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Things I Want To Know, etc.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I've heard about Hurricane Joanne of course, but I wasn't there when it happened. Sometimes I have the idea that if Joanne happened now, the situation would be dealt with easily. Maybe there have already been people on board who tried to be more disruptive than Joanne was, but since then it has been easier to deal with them. Could this be true?

Could be. We have more help these days.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just missed Hurricane Joanne, so can't report first hand on the events. But, since then several things have changed - in addition to the increased number of hosts & admins around to handle things.

My understanding was that part of the impact of Joanne was that Shipmates at the time were not expecting someone to come along with the sole purpose of simply messing with a discussion board and the people here. Yes, they were ready for stringent atheists or ultra-conservative evangelicals coming in to preach their particular message without really engaging with others - that happens in real life, we've probably all been accosted by some street evangelist or someone on our door step. No one was really prepared for the equivalent of a group of friends sitting in a restaurant enjoying a good meal and conversation, and then for a complete stranger to come in and start throwing food and plates around. The surprise, and possibly a certain amount of "this can't be happening" may have delayed the necessary steps to correct the situation. Now, we have that experience (and the experience of other trolls) behind us and we're probably quicker to act.

Second, the software was very different then. It was very easy for someone to register and spam the boards, a lot of work to clear up the mess, and practically impossible to prevent. Several people stayed up late into the night for a couple of days doing nothing but deleting what Joanne had posted. Joanne caused the boards to be closed as the only way to stop her posting and give people a break, in the interim the software was changed to require people to register and be approved before they could post (with, almost immediately a payment associated with that) which greatly increased controls over who could get on and spam us. The UBB software is ancient, creaky at the joints and is not perfect. But, it is much, much easier to prevent a troll or spammer posting, and much easier to delete offending posts.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hurricane Joanna arrived in January 1999, lasted two weeks and resulted in the first ever emergency shut down.

Joanna was, from what I was told, a militant atheist and had made it her mission to close down all Christian related discussion boards on the Internet. Her methodology was to spam boards into submission and simply make it Too Much Like Work ™ for those that ran them to carry on. By the time she got to us, she'd closed down several boards already. Erin said that The Ship was the only board that experienced the Hurricane and survived. Kudos to Erin, Simon and the others who cleared up the mess she made and wouldn’t give in.

I wasn’t here then, but I did arrive in time to witness both Pond Wars. (I am not thinking about how long that means I’ve been here, because that will freak me out!)

Tubbs

[ 01. August 2013, 10:56: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I've heard about Hurricane Joanne of course, but I wasn't there when it happened. Sometimes I have the idea that if Joanne happened now, the situation would be dealt with easily. Maybe there have already been people on board who tried to be more disruptive than Joanne was, but since then it has been easier to deal with them. Could this be true?

On the History of the Ship thread I once asked about Joanne, and got some answers.

The History of the Ship thread makes for very interesting reading.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please can someone tell me how to copy a post to the Quotes thread?

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just bring up the post I admire, highlight and copy it (or the part of it that I like), go to the quotes thread, hit reply, type in the name of the person quoted followed by a colon, then hit the "quote" button by the smilies, and paste the copied quote between the bracketed quote and unquote. "Preview" and "add reply". Done [Smile]

[ 06. January 2014, 18:26: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or a slightly different means to the same end -

Hit the Reply with quote icon. Tidy up the text eg removing bits - until you have the bit you want. Plus you still have the original attribution and quote tags.

Then Select - Copy. Go to quotes file, click the Reply button, then Paste.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the quotes icon.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for your replies. I will give it a try. [Smile]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget, if you want to try something out there's always the UBB Practice thread here in the Styx. If you get it wrong there you'll a) not screw up a discussion elsewhere and b) there's usually some smart person watching the thread who could identify what you did wrong and how to do it right.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
where is the quotesfile?
i tried the search function...

I want to put this:
Ken, about Pete Seeger.
Someone said he was more like a worship leader than a pop star. He wanted everyone to join in and everyone to mean it and everything to be changed, one song at a time.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you mean this thread?

It's on Page 1 if The Circus

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's here, in the Circus. [Smile]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, never occurred to me to look there!
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016