homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 8th Day: Music Board

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 8th Day: Music Board
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking for a while that there seems to be enough material generally for a Ship's Music Board. It could cover, among other things:

Horrible hymns, perfect pitch, "what instrument should I play", musical jokes, favourite composers, Pop Idol/X Factor/etc latest, reviews of the Proms, advice on buying guitars, the merits of plainchant, "where can I find a recording of...", piano talk, how to get started as a songwriter, favourite childhood songs, ideas for music in Sunday worship, "The Beatles: Yes or No", "Why I Hate Pop Music/Opera/Country and Western", bellringing, world music, "any Elvis fans out there", in-store music, and a hundred other topics.

If anyone feels enthused and wants to host it just say. It's not my scene, but musical threads crop up sufficiently often to have made me wonder if there aren't, after all, enough for their own board.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I agree, there is enough for a board. I think it needs to cover a range of musical matters: playing, listening, classical, contemporary, positive, negative considerations.

There is a danger it only covers certain areas of music, so it needs to be as broad as possible.

I would probably be prepared to help host if you want, but I think it would need others with other areas of skill. I am not sure if I can host 2 boards at once, so it might need some negotiation.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else up for helping the Ship's Cool Cat* out with possibly hosting a possible music board?

* I can never read this without thinking of him with dark glasses and a saxophone.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm happy to take part in a supporting role. Not the main name, though. I've done enough of that!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could help host!

Name: joyful noise?

[ 01. August 2014, 21:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not volunteering but I think it's a great idea that deserves a run.

p.s. I thought Elvis was dead.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"Joyful Noise" would be a great name, though it will always remind me of Joyful Noise and his Parrot O'Kief.

Some other ideas for board names:

Tinkling Cymbals
Ministry of Music
Music on the Waters
Ship's Hornpipe Deck

p.s. Elvis lives. Allegedly.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaak! I knew that was a Shipmate name, but forgot about the parrot.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
how about a name based on Sirens? They are both ship horns and also mythological women who lure sailors by their beautiful music. Both sea themes in keeping with the Ship.

(I was at one time going to call myself 'Ship's Siren' but ended up choosing a different tagline instead.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do think "Elvis is dead?" would make good name for it.

Or maybe "Siren sounds", following Choristers ideas.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not Siren Aria? I thought not.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(This isle is full of sounds and sweet music) that give delight and hurt not?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Not Siren Aria? I thought not.

That's kinda pretty. Good name for a punk band, maybe.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
how about a name based on Sirens?

"Blest pair"?

Or would that get confused with T and Ts?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question: If this Board gets set up, would
quote:
...bitching about church music...
be removed from Dead Horses territory?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

OK folks, are people still interested in getting this going? Three good people have volunteered to host, all that remains is to pick a name and float the proposal (I think) - could be fun [Big Grin]
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I am still game for it. I need clarification as to whether I would have to give up hosting WnD temporarily - can I host two boards at the same time?

But I still think it is a good idea.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
can I host two boards at the same time?

I'm currently hosting three, so I don't see why not, if you have the time.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This would be my first choice for the new 8th Day board. (But I'm not volunteering to host.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
This would be my first choice for the new 8th Day board.

Proposals will be considered on a first come, first served basis.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
can I host two boards at the same time?

I'm currently hosting three, so I don't see why not, if you have the time.
There is always one, isn't there?

That is fine - I just thought that (maybe in a previous version) you could only host one at once.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I think there a limited number of host slots per Board 'sall.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't imagine what I'd think of a music board...

[Biased]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love a music board, great idea. Hornpipe deck or sirens are great names if we can't do joyful noise. I'm probably not a good person to host though would gladly do a turn if you're short on numbers.

I'd be up for discussing everything from church music (playing, players, arranging, teaching) to current trends and historical precedent. I am currently on board an actual ship (car ferry from Spain) with my ukulele and pipe...

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
... with my ukulele ...

I thought the board in question was supposed to be about music ... [Devil]

I love the idea of a board dedicated to music, and if you were short of hosts, I'd be happy to help out.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's face the music...

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

BTW, with reference to possible 8th Day topics, hosts are required. Some people offer, some run a mile. Now for what may same a very silly question - what does hosting actually involve, and how do the hosts manage to edit the boards? It's almost like the elephant in the room, where everyone except me seems to know what it's all about (Alfie.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

We will give you specific guidelines to follow, but basically it would be maintaining the theme of the board (eg: if someone starts discussing crepe recipes on the Music board, you send them elsewhere) and making sure everybody follows the 10 c's

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[crosspost]

You have to read all the new posts on your board at least once every 24 hrs.

There is a private board where you can discuss things with other hosts.

There is a short host manual that contains guidance on how to host.

You edit posts to correct links etc in the same way you edit your own posts - ie you click the little pencil icon and it opens the post for editing.

[ 30. August 2014, 08:12: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'd add that on an experimental board, you need to be a bit more proactive than on an established one, in creating new threads and participating as a poster. But since you are hosting because you are particularly interested in the topic, that's not too difficult.
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
There is a private board where you can discuss things with other hosts.

And 8D hosts will have access to the private 8D hosts board for a few days before their experiment goes live -- they'll have a chance to read the hosting manual, practice hosting, ask questions. We won't enable posting on the Eighth Day for the new experiment until the hosts are ready to go.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
And 8D hosts will have access to the private 8D hosts board for a few days before their experiment goes live -- they'll have a chance to read the hosting manual, practice hosting, ask questions. We won't enable posting on the Eighth Day for the new experiment until the hosts are ready to go.

Do they get keys to the drinks cabinet?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

No, but only because Ariston hid them.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a non-musical ignoramus, I'd be interested in this board whether or not I could make much of a contribution.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I promise to keep my posts per day in single digits...

- orfeo, currently rediscovering bits of his music collection he hasn't touched in a while and getting TREMENDOUSLY excited about it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, three people have offered to host the board. Someone* just needs to get a proposal drafted, think up a name and you're sorted.

* not me

[ 02. September 2014, 14:48: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

(Bump)

Who's up for it?

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noises on?
Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
(Bump)

Who's up for it?

Only if the music board is also open to percussionists. [Devil]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That line about percussion reminded me of one of the jokes on an old thread looking for good ones:

Q: Who is the guy who travels with the musicians in the band?

A: He's the drummer.

Probably needs a rim-shot to finish it!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it could be really interesting. I also think it could generate more Hell calls than any other board, given the way people normally interact about music [Smile]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
I think it could be really interesting. I also think it could generate more Hell calls than any other board, given the way people normally interact about music [Smile]

Horseman Bree's post above might get him a Hell call from Sir Kevin.
[Devil]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016