homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 8th Day: T&T? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 8th Day: T&T?
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't imagine being able to be a good Host, but I was wondering about whether or not there'd be interest in bringing back T&T as an 8th Day board.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps you'd explain the concept for the sake of the relative newbies on board?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It stood for "Let's Talk Tits and Testicles," and it was basically about all things relating to sex.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say that it was a very "interesting" board. And most helpful, in that it got people talking about a taboo subject. Christians aren't supposed to talk about sex, are they?

I think it's been long enough since T&T that it could be resurrected for a while.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Please tell me if it comes back I don't have to try to host it. I really don't think I could do it well. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Please tell me if it comes back I don't have to try to host it.

Well, someone will have to. If nobody volunteers this idea is going to be dead in the water.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
( sigh)

I know I just volunteered for the music board, but given that I participated in at least some of the smartassery that got the thing shut down, maybe I can redeem myself.

But you join me, Chast! Come in, I'll be your sherpa! Part if the fun is eclectic guest hosts, and you're about as eclectic as it gets!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done this sort of thing before. And there's a part of me that wants to curl up and die rather than do this. But....

I DO think that T&T is worthy of a temporary resurrection. Therefore, I would be willing to share hosting responsibilities.

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
But you join me, Chast! Come in, I'll be your sherpa! Part if the fun is eclectic guest hosts, and you're about as eclectic as it gets!

I'm honestly scared about my ability (and time!) to do it, though. [Frown] And I feel like I'm dangerously internet-obsessed as it is (and yes, I mean that, in a genuine addictive sense).

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I joined when T & T was running (I may even have contributed to its demise [Hot and Hormonal] ). It got very tangential and any temporary revival might need different, probably tighter, ToRs, than the original had.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, T&T died because most of the subject had already been discussed. In its final year, there were 2 or 3 threads of real value, most of the others were trivial.

So I think it would work if there were a range of issues and area that have not been discussed of late. Which might be the case.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was around in the first TnT and really learnt a lot. I had been a rather "sheltered" Christian with some questionable theology.

I'm not sure it would work as well now - we're a bit more aware of our online identities/lack of anonymity/ etc. I think it was really good in its time though.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm willing to host.

I already host the BDSM private board (see sig) which, if not exactly sex-related, is certainly sex-adjacent.

I think with the very reasonable concerns about privacy, it might be good to consider some sort of mechanism whereby people could submit OPs to be posted anonymously.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Providing hosts are trusted, pm to hosts which is then OPd by the host ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good idea.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I do think that since it's been something like a decade since it was around (I remember that I'd posted on it before I met Cubby, and our eleventh anniversary was this last May [Yipee] ), then there are a lot of Shipmates who never got to experience it. (Good Lord, where does the time go?)

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I'm honestly scared about my ability (and time!) to do it, though. [Frown] And I feel like I'm dangerously internet-obsessed as it is (and yes, I mean that, in a genuine addictive sense).
Dunno, sherpas are for scaling mountains, seems the two of you would be more interested in ascending spires...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I want a sherpa. Well, technically not a sherpa but a grummle. They're a very nice race of beings from World of Warcraft. More on them is here for those who care. [Smile]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You also need a dead horse plan. Limited discussion, no discussion, discussion of practice only etc ?

[ 04. August 2014, 07:16: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have actually been two previous 'runs' of T&T. The first was before I joined, but threads were still visible I think, as when it came around again, probably about 2003, I was aware of the concept.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found it! The first run of TnT was started in March 2002, and here is the first post . There are only 2 threads from this board still showing in Limbo - apart from that one, the other was the one ChastMastr referred to, started in March 2002 and subsequently moved to Dead Horses

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it could be interesting too. Missed it, as I joined in 2004, although I've read some of the limbo-ed threads. It could be interesting - I'd certainly read it with interest.

[ 04. August 2014, 13:57: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Oh Erin. Saw her first post there just now. [Tear] [Votive]

Um, back to the topic...

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the anonymous posting idea: the admins have had a little confab about this and decided it is not an option. Many of the Ship's 10 commandments depend upon shipmates owning their own posts, and in its earlier incarnations T&T worked just fine without anonymous posting. People shouldn't have to try to hold discussions without knowing who others' Ship identities are, and it would make calling someone to Hell problematic.

On another matter, and speaking entirely for myself, if this goes forward, I wish it would have a different name. The incongruity of "tits" and "testicles" bothered me then and it bothers me now. Breasts are secondary sex characteristics, not primary, their biological purpose is feeding the young, not producing them, and the hyper-sexualization of women's breasts is so far beyond being offensive it's ridiculous. (Though of course I suppose I could argue this on the board itself if it becomes a reality.)

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW - I think you are right in terms of the name. Someone - maybe you - raised it at the time, but it was in the dying of the board anyway, so there was nothing really to do. For a resurrected board, and several years later, a better name should be chosen.

And I do think a discussion about the original name, and why that was considered acceptable by some, but not by others, would make an excellent thread.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Oooh names:
  • No Sex Please, We're Christian ?
  • Making Love is Harder Than You Think
  • Sexual Expression & Faith

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now this could be interesting/ terrifying/ highly amusing in equal measure.....

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

[*]Sexual Expression & Faith

I like this. Does what it says on the tin.

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Id be really interested in the discussions. Not sure if I fall in the christian camp these days but a discussion with intelligent thoughtful people about sex and relationships would be right up my street..

Just not sure I want my many friends on the ship knowing what we get up to in the bedroom [Biased]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

• Genitals Prefer Blondes
  • Karma Sutra Tribute Board
  • 21st Century Song of Solomon
  • Adventures in Friction
  • Wherefore Art Thou, Elusive O ?
  • Shaggable Shippies
  • Debauchery Discussed

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Adventures in Friction
This. [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Just not sure I want my many friends on the ship knowing what we get up to in the bedroom [Biased]

What - you have children and are still, erm, getting up to stuff in the bedroom.....

That would be shocking.

I think we need to extend the tolerance and acceptance that is part of the ship especially to this.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went to a service last night where the first reading was from the Song of Songs, and I found it hard to believe how, well, pornographic it was. My beloved's head was "wet with dew", my fingers were "dripping with myrrh", he put his hands to my latch and I trembled. How it could ever have been read in a non-sexual way beats me.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Song of songs is v.definitely about sex! I think most people would acknowledge that.

S cat. It took a little hiatus in the sleep deprived year(s) but returned thankfully [Smile]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Went to a service last night where the first reading was from the Song of Songs, and I found it hard to believe how, well, pornographic it was. My beloved's head was "wet with dew", my fingers were "dripping with myrrh", he put his hands to my latch and I trembled. How it could ever have been read in a non-sexual way beats me.

If someone reading it isn't used to male sexual imagery, or their mind doesn't run on innuendo, it's easy to take it at face value. More true in the past than in this era. Or perhaps they might recognize it as sexual, but could hardly believe that such a thing would be in the Bible.

Anyway, you're mistaken, it's quite plain to see that it's really an allegory of God's love for his Church. [Angel]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Oops, that should have been 21st Century Song of Songs

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:

So, atheists are not welcome? And non-theists only sort of?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Adventures in Friction
This. [Cool]
I liked that one, too.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

The Ship is the "Magazine of Christian Unrest" (italics mine) but as everyone is welcome here I would think everyone would be welcome on a board with the word "faith" in it... [Confused]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Anyway, you're mistaken, it's quite plain to see that it's really an allegory of God's love for his Church. [Angel]

In which case, God appears to be a bit of a dirty old man
[Ultra confused]

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:

Um. Sexual Expression and/or Faith?

But seriously. I think every single title is going to be exclusionary in some way, but we need to recognise that by finding something short/pithy/alliterative/funny it's going to exclude some people in its words. Even if we called it "Sex", that would exclude a-sexuals or non-sexual relationships or activities which I like to call "sex-adjacent".

But in reality, if they are welcome on the Ship then they are welcome on the board.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We could just call it 'Bonkers!'
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
[Ultra confused]

Works for me. We're the Bride, after all. [Smile]

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
[Ultra confused]

Works for me. We're the Bride, after all. [Smile]
It's years since I last read SofS. For most of that time I've been teaching adolescents, who can see dirt ANYWHERE. With ears attuned to detecting, and so avoiding, filth I could hardly believe what I was hearing!

Anyway, for a title, what about "The Second Coming"? This is a new incarnation of an old idea after all.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you being hopeful here, Robert Armin?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

At my age hope is all that keeps me going.... [Biased]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
We could just call it 'Bonkers!'

I like this one a lot! [Devil]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bonkers just means 'crazy' to my Canadian ears. Nothing to do with sex. Shag, while understood since Mike Myers did the movies as the character Austin Powers, doesn't play either.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016