homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Overzealous spam filter and incorrect clock

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Overzealous spam filter and incorrect clock
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some words (like "I" and "ready") seem to be being censored out and replaced with stars (is this [the Scunthorpe problem](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem) ?)

Also depending on how I go into ecclesiastes either the clock is wrong or lots of recent posts have been deleted. [If I go in from the main page](http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=6) I can see recent posts but [if I go in from a post](http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=70) I can only see old posts

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you are reading posts from between 18th September and 20th September, you maybe seeing the imprint of H&A day - there's a thread elsewhere in styx on it.

Dunno about deletions though. Something to do with threads being moved, or the clocks going back myabe ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The second URL you give (f=70) is for Oblivion, the 'retirement home' for old threads. There should never be new posts there!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The clocks in the UK went back an hour over the weekend, with the end of British Summer Time. The clocks in the US don't change for another week or so. Because the software follows the US clocks, until the US clocks change the displayed time for people in the UK will be an hour out. You have two options:
1. Leave things as they are and live with the displayed time being wrong for the next week or so
2. Edit you profile to change the clock offset. Which will put the clock right, but you'll need to do it again when the US clocks change.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the software follows the US clocks
I thought this was a British website! Is outrage!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Option 3: reconquer the US.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there was me thinking the time was wrong last week, that must be my own computer being odd again

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Because the software follows the US clocks, until the US clocks change the displayed time for people in the UK will be an hour out.

I am in the US and I see a similar problem (the displayed times are now an hour behind actual time). I assumed it was because the servers were in the UK, but now I can't figure out what is causing it. Am I missing something?

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what it boils down to is that the software that runs the boards is about 150 years old and gets confused whenever the clocks change anywhere in the world.

It'll all settle down in a week or so and then in March it'll happen all over again and a similar thread will be started here in The Styx.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count yourselves lucky: Newfoundland is one of the "half-hour" time-zones, which doesn't seem to be legislated for when setting up your profile, so my Ship time is always half an hour out.

As the saying here goes:

The end of the world is nigh! (and half an hour later in Newfoundland) [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Because the software follows the US clocks, until the US clocks change the displayed time for people in the UK will be an hour out.

I am in the US and I see a similar problem (the displayed times are now an hour behind actual time). I assumed it was because the servers were in the UK, but now I can't figure out what is causing it. Am I missing something?
As far as timezones are concerned I think our servers are on the Azores.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twice a year I just ignore the clocks for a bit. For a while, I'm 1 hour out (which I was after Australia changed to summer time). Now that it's 2 hours out I know that it'll be stable for many months, so it's worth my while making the time adjustment.

That's one of the ironies of daylight savings being so prevalent. Officially my time zone is 10 hours ahead of GMT, but in practice I'm almost always either 9 hours or 11 hours ahead of the UK, depending on whose summer it is.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I think what it boils down to is that the software that runs the boards is about 150 years old and gets confused whenever the clocks change anywhere in the world.

It'll all settle down in a week or so and then in March it'll happen all over again and a similar thread will be started here in The Styx.

Clearly, we need the Long Now Foundation's 10,000 year clock.
[Cool]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the first time in ages, the Ship's clock shows the right time for me.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016