homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Baiting by Gamaliel?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Baiting by Gamaliel?
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the "Religion of Jesus" thread Gamaliel has made an ad hominem comment about my "real life" ministry in response to an anecdote that I have shared. At present there has been no specific hostly intervention. Can I expect such an intervention? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I ask because I think Gamaliel has crossed an online/real life divide by using an unnecessary ad hominem based on my RL situation. This has personalised the debate in a way which makes me uncomfortable and which is completely unnecessary.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd looked at the comment once and given it (just) a pass but will look again in conjunction with other Purg Hosts.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been up to my eyeballs on the thread in question as a poster, so in line with usual practice have recused my role as a host there apart from fixing some broken code here and there.

What follows is therefore a reflection as a poster and not as a host.

Dardonmedway, I can't help noticing that you shared information about your congregation on that thread before anyone else commented on it.

Without prejudice to any hostly or adminly ruling on what followed, what I can say personally is that on that thread alone at least three if not four times now I have composed a paragraph or two involving personal disclosure not entirely dissimilar in nature to yours - then thought better of it and deleted it from my post before hitting the "add reply" button.

The first part of Purg Guideline 4 says
quote:
If you find it necessary to share things of a personal nature then remember you have a large audience looking in
I think that takes on an even more signifcant dimension for those of us with others (e.g. congregations) in our care.

Hitting the delete button as I have done in such cases has deprived me of some good debating material, but I think it's been for the best, both for myself and for those entrusting themselves to me.

[ 05. January 2015, 21:20: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the link to the ad hominem which is the source of daronmedway's complaint.

And here is the whole post.

The considered Purgatory Host view (and Eutychus has explained why he has recused himself) is that the ad hominem does not breech either Commandment 3 or Commandment 4 guidelines.

However in view of Gamaliel's posting history, we have asked Admin to look at the full post and other contributions to the thread to see if they wish to take further action/give further advice.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here's the Admin's full advice:

Admin Tiara On

Whilst the Purg Hosts have found Gamaliel not guilty of an ad hominem which transgresses either Commandment 3 or Commandment 4, there are issues here relating to Commandment 1 that are worth addressing.

Everyone has their hot button issues. Gamaliel, yours include charismatic churches and conservative evangelicals. It's been suggested several times that you should be careful about participating in these kind of threads as they make you bad tempered. Bad temper leads to Commandment breaches, Host warnings and Shore Leave. And you've racked up a lot of those recently. A lot. Too many.

Then there's your persistent and annoying trait of putting words in other posters' mouths (i.e. condescendingly telling whoever posted last what everyone else on the thread is going to think). That's not helpful. Most posters are perfectly capable of reading for comprehension and arguing their own case. They don't need you to do that for them. So stop it.

The Admins are weary of saying the same things over and over. We won't be telling you again. If you want to remain here, just stop being such an arse!

Admin Tiara Off

I'll put this in the Purg thread as well.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016