homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Seder MW reports

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Seder MW reports
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is SoF policy concerning MW reports on Seder meals? To be quite honest, I have my reservations about seders presided over by an ordained Christian minister. I attended one "celebrated" by an Episcopal priest, after which he segued into a celebration of the Eucharist; it felt wrong.
My spouse and I will be attending a Seder at the convent where we regularly attend Sunday Mass. It will be held on a Sunday afternoon. The congregation will be (largely) Trinitarian Catholic; it will be a service held in a Christian space. But the worship leader will be a rabbi, and the liturgy will be obviously non-Trinitarian. Is this an appropriate event to be MW'd, or no?

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see how it would qualify.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonata3:

My spouse and I will be attending a Seder at the convent where we regularly attend Sunday Mass.

That in itself would disqualify you IMO as you are only supposed to report on places where you are a stranger, but that would ultimately be down to the editors.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may not be suitable for an MW report. That doesn't mean it wouldn't make an interesting discussion.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rule re reporting only on churches where you are a stranger has sometimes been honored more in the breach than in the observance. Obviously, if the principals involved in the service know they are being MWd, it won't fly, but if the MWer operates unobserved it can sometimes work.

This, however, appears to be a non-Christian service -- certainly non-Trinitarian -- presided over by a non-Christian clergyman, and so I don't see how it could work as a MW event.

As Alan said, however, it should make for interesting reading, but in a thread.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a pagan Samhain MW'd back in '98, and a multifaith service at a synagogue in 2001.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the policy is that acts of worship related to the (Trinitarian) Christian faith are no longer considered suitable for Mystery Worship. The project is about putting our own house in order, not criticising other people's! As Albertus notes, this rule has sometimes been bent but not for many years.

Hence, a so-called 'Christian seder' would be suitable while a 'real' one presided over by a rabbi would not. Or so it seems to me.

Christian seders are in any case somewhat controversial events. We discussed them in Ecclesiantics around this time last year, although I can't find the thread off-hand. It would indeed make an interesting subject for further debate there.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
I think the policy is that acts of worship related to the (Trinitarian) Christian faith are no longer considered suitable for Mystery Worship.

Methinks there might be a missing negative in this sentence?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Methinks there might be a missing negative in this sentence?

Not no.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahem. Yes, that's embarassing!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Christian seders are in any case somewhat controversial events. We discussed them in Ecclesiantics around this time last year, although I can't find the thread off-hand. It would indeed make an interesting subject for further debate there.

Indeed - many find them offensive

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Indeed - many find them offensive

And many don't. But perhaps that should be a Purgatory topic again rather than debating it here.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite.

Shoo.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016