homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is sex? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is sex?
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
while i only had one partner before i met my husband, so i don't have a wealth of experience, i think sexual relationships are enhanced by anticipation.

flirting is very underestimated. i don't know if it's the BEST part, but it's a necessary part, for me. sex (intercourse) is a wonderful physical expression of love, but without preparing a protective, playful emotional atmosphere that can takes weeks, months or years, i can't imagine it being any more meaningful than a sneeze.

i do wonder what sex means to someone who has had many, many different partners. or for prostitutes. how do they separate sex with a partner they love from the act of sex with someone they do not know? i guess they must be able to.

personally, i've always been the type to worry more about being emotionally vulnerable, so being sexually vulnerable was out of the question. i'm always surprised at the stories people tell, though...makes me feel like i missed out on something! but, to each his own. for me, sex without love has no appeal. maybe that's a woman thing?

Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fiddleback
I do not appreciate your attempt to drag my wedding into the evidence you use as part of your long running campaign to encourage disrespect of the hosts.

quote:
we have not been to Dyfrig's wedding

There were 6 ship of fools regulars at the wedding, one was me, another Dyfrig. It was not a "ship event", we did not lord it across the boards, we did not start the thread which discussed it in All Saints, nor know it would be mystery worshipped. The few ship people who were there are people we had met in real life and like in real life. No consolidation of power bases went on, no networking, nothing sinister. We got married in the presence of friends, end of story.

That was a cheap shot, Father Fiddleback. I hope other people will have realised that as they read it.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

- Posted      Profile for MadKaren   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sex changes over time. The longer you've been with someone, the more sex encompasses.

Madkaren

--------------------
--
Why do people who claim to love God embarrass him in public?

Posts: 866 | From: Jumping along the line between genius and insanity.... | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Squib
Shipmate
# 125

- Posted      Profile for Squib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by frin:
[QB]Fiddleback
I do not appreciate your attempt to drag my wedding into the evidence you use as part of your long running campaign to encourage disrespect of the hosts.

[QUOTE]we have not been to Dyfrig's wedding

PEEEEERRRRRRRRLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZEEE!!!

I have read through this thread - haven't been on the boards for ages. I've only just recovered from the RSI incurred during the 'offended' thread, and here we go again.

Do you really think, Frin that Fiddleback was 'having a go' at your wedding ? I read it as a passing remark - I didn't detect in it any resentment that he wasn't invited, or suggestion that it was an underhand event during which Secret Ships Business occurred. I have found myself in agreement with Erin on this thread - funnily enough. I do think that Cosmo and Fiddleback are a bit OTT, their wit is often savage, and is possibly off putting to many who post here. I am among those here who find it interesting to question and find my anonymity helpful. I don't like to be made to feel a fool for asking questions - though to be fair neither of them has ever made me feel that way. Your post simply isn't helpful in all this.

By the way, some of the hosts here who reprove are rude and sarcastic but seem exempted from the same rules that we 'mere shipmates' are supposed to follow. I think that that is what he was trying to say.

Let's all grow up a bit, the SOF is becoming tedious.

'C

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post 
OK, I've spoken to a friend of mine on this one. He's had many sexual partners - more than 10 times as many as me. And yet, in his current relationship, he finds sexual intercourse far harder - he knows the moves, what works in practice, yet he's had the loving side of himself so numbed by the life he's led, that, now he wants to express that, he's finding it horrendously difficult.

He also finds the attitudes he was brought up with hard to reconcile. On the one hand taught that sex before marriage was wrong, on the other - anything goes. There wasn't any sort of middle ground.

The conservative evangelical attitudes to sex that I have encountered have been laughable - partly because I've found them not to have been thought through properly by those propounding them. Many of them were too simplistic in nature, and hadn't been thought through, so that, when challenged I was constantly being told "that's different". Mostly I would be talking to them about "whoever looks at a woman lustfully...." - a lot of them were taking this very literally, and consequently (though safe with me) some of the men struggled with relationships with women. Then they'd wind up swinging so far in the opposite direction - because there was little or no consistent guidance about the middle ground.
Are there any good sites/guides about the conservative evangelical view of sex, to counteract my current warped perception thereof?

Angel

Squib
Shipmate
# 125

- Posted      Profile for Squib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel of the North:
OK, I've spoken to a friend of mine on this one. He's had many sexual partners - more than 10 times as many as me. And yet, in his current relationship, he finds sexual intercourse far harder - he knows the moves, what works in practice, yet he's had the loving side of himself so numbed by the life he's led, that, now he wants to express that, he's finding it horrendously difficult.

He also finds the attitudes he was brought up with hard to reconcile. On the one hand taught that sex before marriage was wrong, on the other - anything goes. There wasn't any sort of middle ground.

The conservative evangelical attitudes to sex that I have encountered have been laughable - partly because I've found them not to have been thought through properly by those propounding them. Many of them were too simplistic in nature, and hadn't been thought through, so that, when challenged I was constantly being told "that's different". Mostly I would be talking to them about "whoever looks at a woman lustfully...." - a lot of them were taking this very literally, and consequently (though safe with me) some of the men struggled with relationships with women. Then they'd wind up swinging so far in the opposite direction - because there was little or no consistent guidance about the middle ground.
Are there any good sites/guides about the conservative evangelical view of sex, to counteract my current warped perception thereof?

Angel

Pre marital sex is great fun. Post marital sex is much better.

Pre marital flirting is fun. Post marital flirting with any man but ones husband can be very dangerous indeed!

I don't think that sex before marriage is wrong. It isn't risk free, but provided both partners go into it in the same spirit it can be informative and exciting.

I firmly believe though, that once married a couple should stay faithful to each other.

'C

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice to see you back, 'Cello. You have, as it were, taken the words out of my mouth on the subject of this thread. Fidelity and gratitude are greatly underrated as "marital aids".

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ah yes...just to clarify, i did mean flirting with my husband, not with men at large...i agree that can be very dangerous. especially because you never know where the line is weakening. and nipping overtures can sometimes feel like a part-time job.

angel, i really sympathize with your friend because it seems the people i know who have had many partners have a very difficult time being open with people...maybe sex seems safer than being emotionally exposed. some of us have difficulty with both! seems pretty clear when you look around that casual sex is not the answer. and his difficulty loving is just what i imagine prostitutes must experience. what a horrible aspect of one's self to have permanently damaged. it's so hard to be a human sometimes.

Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I take on board what Alan says. But I question the 'small number'. All I can say is that in my experience evangelicals (here, you are struggling to find people who identify themselves 'broad evangelicals', predominant flavour is literalist or conservative) are narrow in their views of sexuality. In respect of homosexuality (considering 2 churches and a house church that I was part of/attended) I'd estimate 10% could cope with homosexuality as anything but aberrant and sinful.

For example, I was driving the female friend of the couple I mentioned in the OP around (she was legally blind and engaged at the time), when out of the blue she said 'You know, you really are rather attractive' in a come-on tone. Oh dear, I thought, and said 'Well. You're not on the blind pension for nothing'. We both collapsed in gales of laughter, and it was really the best response in the circumstances. This anecdote tickled me enormously and I related it to a mutual friend in this friend's presence. Afterwards, she took me aside and anxiously asked me to be careful who I told it to because 'there are people at church who would never speak to me again if they heard that'.

Sigh. This friend's home group also were in the habit of looking around furtively and asking 'Are we all married here?', before having any conversation about sex.

While I might privately think the majority of conservative evangelicals have views on sex that are absurd and pathetic (especially when I'm seething with frustration), the best I'd come out with in reasoned debate is that these views are narrow and oppressive.

Cosmo's posts can be intemperate, and I like his style, but I would be sad to think that evangelicals coming out of communities with narrow views on sexuality who are questioning or trying to look beyond their tradition might be frightened off the ship.

The Coot,
The One True Bent Evangelical Tat-Queen.

There've been some really thoughtful on -topic posts on this page, I hope we can pursue them a bit more.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[note] this post will get round to being on topic if your read all of it![/note]

quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:

Cosmo's posts can be intemperate, and I like his style, but I would be sad to think that evangelicals coming out of communities with narrow views on sexuality who are questioning or trying to look beyond their tradition might be frightened off the ship.

I come from a community with very narrow views on sexuality, and I'm not frightened off the ship in the slightest.

I am, however, rather grateful to Erin for wading in and dressing down Cosmo. Sometimes, out there in real life - and even on the Ship - those of us who are "good little Evangelicals" feel that the world's attitude is that it's wrong to make prejudiced, stereotypical remarks about blacks, liberals, homosexuals etc etc, but absolutely fine to say that all GLEs have their heads stuck up there own backsides. Thanks Erin, for sticking up for us, even if you don't agree with us!

As to the subject of the thread - I think that perhaps there is something different about actual sexual intercourse, than about other sexual acts on the sliding scale that has been described. I interpret the biblical phrase "becoming one flesh" as meaning intercourse, since this strikes me as the most intimate act that 2 human beings can experience together. I believe that this act leads to some kind of spirtual connectedness between the 2 people that I don't really understand. In marriage, this act cements two distinct individuals becoming one. Not two halves making one whole - but 2 wholes coming together, to become one.

Whilst I am NOT about to get drawn into what I personally am willing or unwilling to do outside of marriage, or to condone or condemn anyone else, I wanted to mention this because I think this may be where the engaged couple The Coot mentioned are coming from.

Having said that - I'm happy to admit to being a virgin and therefore probably can be thought of as not having a clue. Ask me again after I get married.

All the best,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rachel_o:

I am, however, rather grateful to Erin for wading in and dressing down Cosmo.

Oh my. Now there's a mental image I would rather be rid of

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
nevertheless...

It still seems to me a bit odd to ask the question "what is sex"? and not seem to reach a concensus at this stage in a thread.

So what is it? Sex is either of the two divisions of organic beings distinguished as male or female - or some quality relating to that. The word has the same root (sec-) as in section and sect.

Surely the problem we have here is that we are coming to things the wrong way round - only when you have got your brain round the concept the word seeks to describe can you then describe how it relates to adjunct concepts (sexual relations, sexual attraction etc.). If you try to do things the wrong way round you will end up trying to include exceptions in an understanding or definition.

Please understand I only speak etymologically. It may sound tough but that's what is meant by the word.

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Squib
Shipmate
# 125

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
I remember at university some particularly naive members of the Christian Union raving about how wonderful the 'don't touch what you don't have yourself' teaching was. 'So simple', they said, 'so clear and understandable'. They weren't very happy when I pointed out that that meant anal sex between straight people was OK as well as all gay and lesbian sex.

I may have missed the point of the Huggett rule here, but surely a girl can't have anal sex with her chap without coming into contact with a body part that she doesn't possess herself?

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post 
I would have said that all sexual relations involving penetration of a bodily orifice (anal, vaginal and oral sex) involve a deep intimacy, each of them subtly different.

It is the intent behind the action that is important as much as the mechanics. Is it to build intimacy, or for sexual gratification, or both, or neither - a mechanical act?

I have less problem with a one night stand, than I do with certain long term intimacies, where a great deal is shared, without it being physical. In some cases it can be more damaging than an actual affair. And yet, because it's non-sexual, it can be conveniently ignored.

To give you an example of my own. I have never met P. We have known each other for 3 years in virtual form. we talk a great deal, about a lot of things. And for a time, it could, rightly, have been seen as an affair. As it happens, neither of us was attached at the time. But if one of us had been, and we were spending several hours a week working on one of our mutual projects, a few phone calls here and there, on top of hours put in at work that actually brought money in, neither of us should have been surprised at our partners being jealous. Especially when we denied it was anything more than just professional and necessary contact for the completion of said mutual ongoing project.

The friends of mine that are not involved in this virtual world say that this is bollocks. And some people that are involved in this virtual world quite well, and are in a similar situation would apply such an epithet, as a convenient means of avoiding some highly uncomfortable truths, like their mutual project is wrecking their real life relationships.

The nature of sex is kind of nebulous, because it in part depends on the tags that one wishes to put on it. As a society both too much and too little emphasis is put on sex. Too much is placed on the physical act. Too little is placed on the feelings behind it.

You cannot disengage the one from the other, in a relationship. I have friends who, though they have never touched beyond a friendly hug, you know will marry, in that they have agreed thus. It wasn't intentional that they didn't kiss, or anything physical, but you and they can feel the tender emotion there. And it will happen. And I sincerely envy them that they can be so intimate like that, and try and follow their example in my own relationship. And I have other friends, though they use each other for penetrative sex, have no great feeling for each other. These are two extremes.
I'm afraid i cannot be more erudite than that.

angel

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Angel--I agree with your point concerning the grey area of the relationship which is deeply intimate but non-sexual: this was a big issue in the anti-Catholic polemic of the 19th century, and there is a marvellous Punch cartoon from the period of a Victorian wife confessing to her sympathetic priest (who is, incidentally, leering smarmily) while the husband creeps up behind with a horsewhip.
'Cello, it seems to me that if the act in question were performed digitally it would qualify under the rubric quoted.

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post 
It reaffirms the superior role of the man in all forms of life including sexual ethics and morality to allow anal sex. After all, the man is not touching a part of the body that he doesn't have himself, therefore, according to the rule, it's OK. That is the logical conclusion of such a rule. Silly I know but logical and, perhaps, scriptural (if we take sex to be a spiritual matter).

Cosmo

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cosmo -

Check your "I-Spy" book of orifices. You have got the wrong one.

The anus is surely the orifice of choice when posting here on SOF. One simply inserts one's head up it and then types away. I frequently do it and look how spiritual I am.

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sniffy
Apprentice
# 1713

- Posted      Profile for sniffy   Author's homepage   Email sniffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was a 26-year-old virgin when I married my wife. We have since had 4 children. Anyone who can wade through the confusion and weight of adolescence and young adulthood and arrive a virgin at their wedding deserves at least a York Peppermint Pattie. (Not me though, I cheated too much with masturbation - that is a huge habit. I battled with that baby into my married life)

Sex is intercourse, oral sex and anal sex (never had any anal, my wife wouldn't allow me and she has never been sufficiently drunk to the point of not knowing the difference). All other forms are giz on the side - a halfhearted attempt to the real one body thing.

Bill Clinton can't pull that "what is sex" thing and expect us to walk away from him with a slightly white liquid dripping from the corner of our mouths. Can he? We know that is sex. He and I have never had sex, but if he had his cigar up my doopa and his penis in my pie hole, I'd take a wild swag at it and say that we were having sex.

--------------------
sniffy

Posts: 31 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Fascinating, sniffy.

No, on second thought, I won't touch that one with a bargepole.

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dated a fiercely conservative Irish Roman Catholic for several years and he refused to have intercourse on the grounds that it was against his religion to have pre-marital sex, but had no problem with oral sex. Is this hyprocrisy or was he just secretly gay as I suspect? Part of the problem was that he didn't believe in contraception and supposedly believed in the whole "sex is only for procreation" nonsense, but I believe oral sex is just as much sex as intercourse. Is this common among RCs or am I making a sweeping generalization here?

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
As I recall, Dr. Kinsey, the pioneer in scientific studies of sex counted only sexual activity that culminated in orgasm, and I believe that most subsequent researchers have followed his lead. By this view, people could penetrate and be penetrated without limit, but it would not necessarily be sex.

Greta

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ultraspike,
given what several males of my acquaintance have candidly confessed about their definite preference for oral sex over other forms thereof, I would call this 'being on to a good thing'!

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ultraspike, i have been told by a friend that there is a saying in some parts of the country "if it's eatin', it ain't cheatin'".

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

nicole---now, imagine if Clinton had said THAT on TV!

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, thank you Slick Willy. Mind you I wouldn't be complaining if he gave as good as he got, but that was not the case.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clearing throat, hastily hiding copy of trashy novel behind Improving Reading before donning host hat ...

As enlightening as this all is, it is veering away from serious debate. Prurience is not becoming to Purgatory, and this thread is itching to get into Hell. Either take a cold shower, or prepare for the flames ...

RuthW
Purgatory host

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Septimus
Shipmate
# 500

- Posted      Profile for Septimus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
I dated a fiercely conservative Irish Roman Catholic for several years and he refused to have intercourse on the grounds that it was against his religion to have pre-marital sex, but had no problem with oral sex. Is this hyprocrisy or was he just secretly gay as I suspect? Part of the problem was that he didn't believe in contraception and supposedly believed in the whole "sex is only for procreation" nonsense, but I believe oral sex is just as much sex as intercourse. Is this common among RCs or am I making a sweeping generalization here?

This reminds me of a friend of mine from school who claimed proudly after spending a night with a young man that she hadn't had sex with him, merely given him a "blow job."

She was most upset when I pointed out that with that under his belt (as it were) he achieved success beyond his wildest imaginings and was rather unlikely to call her in the near future. (His ongoing respect, or lack thereof, for my friend was an avenue I had no wish to go down).

So then, Ultraspike, I would say that your fierce Irishman was no more gay than the next man, rather he simply knew when he was on to a good thing.

Please, please, RuthW. Send this prurience to that dark recess where it most belongs.

--------------------
"The man of 'perfect manners' is he who is calmly courteous in all circumstances, as attentive outwardly to the plain and the elderly as he is to the young and the pretty."

Mrs. Humphrey, Manners for Men

Posts: 442 | From: England's Garden Gnome | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

Why do you, RuthW, imagine that reading a trashy novel should be discrete from improving literature? I always find that the trashier the novel (or preferably film) the more improving I find it. This is particularly true of tracts concerning sexual conduct and morality (even more so if they contain pictures or photogravures). So RuthW, do not be ashamed of your trashy novel fixation. Glory in it and be proud.

Cosmo

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
As enlightening as this all is, it is veering away from serious debate.

Yes, and I think the attacks on Clinton are inappropriate for Purgatory also. Some of us here actually supported him as president even during the scandals. (And yes, I *DO* believe what he did was sex, and I believe it was very wrong, but I supported him as president anyway.)

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hear, hear, chastmastr.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

quote:
Originally posted by Septimus:
So then, Ultraspike, I would say that your fierce Irishman was no more gay than the next man, rather he simply knew when he was on to a good thing.

So there are some straight men who don't like traditional intercourse with a woman?? I would say that while they may prefer oral sex most of the time, it is highly suspect to a woman if that's all they ever wanted. I spent four years with this guy hoping some day we'd finally "do it", but no. To me that is not a normal man, whatever his religious beliefs.

--------------------

Septimus
Shipmate
# 500

- Posted      Profile for Septimus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For many men, sadly, "traditional" intercourse (I assume that this is something to do with kilts) is synonymous with "intercourse". Moreover, "many" men is synonymous with "men".

It sears me to the very loins that in four years your other half didn't have the decency to arrange a fall from grace or six.

I do assure you, being a "man" myself, that anything comprising insecurity, desire and fantasy can be termed a "normal man" and dismissed as such.

Septimus (curled up behind a Harold Robbins and clutching a picture of a girl dressed as Pierrot. He weeps.)

--------------------
"The man of 'perfect manners' is he who is calmly courteous in all circumstances, as attentive outwardly to the plain and the elderly as he is to the young and the pretty."

Happy Abby
Apprentice
# 1814

- Posted      Profile for Happy Abby     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that the whole 'what is sex' thing misses the point of why we do or dont do it before/after we're married etc etc. Seems to me that the reason God put certain rules into place was to ensure that we didn't end up, hurt and disillusioned, having had big time emotional intimacy with lots of different people. I always understood the point of not sleeping with someone I wasn't married to, as being a good thing because I was preserving my emotional well being. Course, it didn't really stop me from doing the wild thing - but still, now, with a few years of baggage attached, wish that it had. So really, sex has got to be any act that builds up emotional/physical intimacy between two people - a sort of bond. I quite recently had phone sex with my boyfriend and I think we surprised ourselves when we discovered it was the most intimate thing we had ever done...I really, honestly, felt physically and emotionally that we had had actual sex. Weird.
Posts: 14 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

So would phone sex or computer sex be sex?

--------------------

Happy Abby
Apprentice
# 1814

- Posted      Profile for Happy Abby     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This experience of phone sex was definitely almost identical to the real thing.

Cyber sex, on the other hand...ah well....I dont know about that...I mean, its so impersonal. I can't see that there would be a real way of building up intimacy in instant messaging. It could be very sexual, I'm sure...but not intimate.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

oh you would be surprised. and enough said...

yes, i think both count as sex, absolutly.

--------------------

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
So would phone sex or computer sex be sex?

Preferably both and with two different people (whilst eating fois gras to the sound of trumpets).

Cosmo

Septimus
Shipmate
# 500

quote:
Originally posted by Happy Abby:
This experience of phone sex was definitely almost identical to the real thing.

It's strange, isn't it, what bakelite can do to a girl.

I'm not sure that silicon holds quite the same sway.

Septimus

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Why do you, RuthW, imagine that reading a trashy novel should be discrete from improving literature? I always find that the trashier the novel (or preferably film) the more improving I find it. This is particularly true of tracts concerning sexual conduct and morality (even more so if they contain pictures or photogravures). So RuthW, do not be ashamed of your trashy novel fixation. Glory in it and be proud.

The enjoyment of trashy novels is greatly enhanced by hiding said trash behind "improving" reading.

And with that, we're off to hell ...

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Happy Abby
Apprentice
# 1814

quote:
Originally posted by Septimus:
It's strange, isn't it, what bakelite can do to a girl.

I'm not sure that silicon holds quite the same sway.

Septimus

Septimus - I'm confused! What is Bakelite and why would it be preferable to phone sex?

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

bakelite is the stuff that phones are made out of abby.... (or, actually, the stuff they used to be made of. a hard plastic stuff)

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well. Isn't this special (sez tomb trying to imitate the Church Lady and failing miserably).

Now that this thread has descended to the netherdepths (how's that for a tautology?) tomb would like to reiterate a couple of guidelines based on his reading of the above fascinating discourse:

• Don't become a spokesman (or spokeswoman) for someone else. No matter how much you love them (you know who you are, dear) they are responsible for defending themselves and not behaving badly by posting-and-running. The good-cop bad-cop routine won't wash in hell. tomb is watching you....
  • Don't post disgusting graphic details of sexual activites or residuae. tomb almost hurled when he read one of the posts above. If you are wondering if you have been guilty of the particular sin that has occasioned this oblique post, send tomb a PM, and he'll be happy to tell you if you win the prize. On the other hand, if you persist in posting graphic detail, tomb will let you know in an unpleasant fashion.
  • And finally. Don't whinge about the hosts and make nasty passive-agressive posts that upset very nice people who sacrifice their time (and in some instances, their health) to make this little corner of the web a safe place for people to talk about their faith and their struggles and people and Christians. If you do, It Will Not Go Well With You.

That being said, carry on, and God bless.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

". tomb almost hurled when he read one of the posts above. "

I didn't know you were so delicate, tomb. We'll try to be more careful.

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
[list]
  • ....tomb almost hurled when he read one of the posts above.
  • Are you sure it was only one?????

--------------------
    Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    tomb
    Shipmate
    # 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
    tomb refuses to discuss the triggers for his bodily functions on this or any other thread.
    Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Septimus
    Shipmate
    # 500

quote:
    Originally posted by tomb:
    tomb refuses to discuss the triggers for his bodily functions on this or any other thread.

Is that because of the thing you have with sardines?

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
    # 44

UltraSpike: I always understood that William Jefferson C. did give as good as he got, and that was the reason for the massive support he received from female voters.

ChastMaster: Yes, I supported him too.

--------------------

Nicolemr
    Shipmate
    # 28

amos, alas, no he didn't. well, not monica at any rate. except for the cigar, but i don't think that compares.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
    # 44

Happy Abby: If you believe that the Old Testament strictures re. fornication were put there to prevent us from being hurt emotionally, you may also believe that the law against eating the flesh of the pig was put there to prevent us from contracting trichinosis.

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
    # 268

quote:
    Originally posted by Amos:
    UltraSpike: I always understood that William Jefferson C. did give as good as he got, and that was the reason for the massive support he received from female voters.

Actually I was talking about my personal experience, but I wasn't aware that WJC did anything other than poke around with his cigar.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
    Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
     - Printer-friendly view
    Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016