homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Should we accept that all scripture is to be accepted as truth? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Should we accept that all scripture is to be accepted as truth?
Max Chapman
unregistered

- Posted            Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve:

Jim made a great statement earlier in this thread. His point was "how can I prove the Bible is true to someone who doesn't give it any validity"?

Steve; I have what is called 'faith'. I have faith that God is infallible & beyond reproach. I have faith that anything that God does is perfect (and this includes the completed canon of scripture). God is infallible & His doctrine is perfect. Yes, I admit that it does take a little faith to accept this, but not much. The 1st thing one must do is repent (change your mind concerning God & His plan). After this God will give you the faith you need to believe in His Son & His plan.....Eph. 2:8-9.

It is your choice Steve, may you choose correctly.

Max C.

IP: Logged
DavidG
Shipmate
# 121

- Posted      Profile for DavidG     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Max you wrote
quote:
If you are such a babe that has no knowledge of the OT prophecies concerning the Messiah, I'm not gonna waste my time with you.

Pretend I am such a babe, even after 40 years boy and man in the church, like Will, I can't think of any.

I can think of passages, such as the Servant passages in Isaiah, e.g. ch42,49,52,53, which have been interpreted in the light of the NT as referring to Jesus. But I see nothing in them to suggest that the writers of Isaiah were aware of this. They seem to think they were writing about the Exile and the return to Jerusalem.

If these passages were regarded at the time as clear references to the coming Messiah, the Jews in the intertestimental period would have expected a Jesus type figure (the suffering servant) rather than the great leader who would lead Israel out of suppression. The fact is that Jesus did not fulfil any of their expectations of what the Messiah would be.

So, where are the passages that don't require us to re-interpret the OT through the light of the NT?

DavidG

Posts: 88 | From: Warwickshire , UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Administrator's notes:

Max, if you want to pull the kind of crap you just pulled with Will then take it to Hell where it belongs. I've about had it with the tone of your posts that basically says "if you don't believe what I believe you are an idiot".

Those of you who are not here with at least a semi-open mind -- that is, conscious that the possibility that you just might be wrong exists -- get out. Or change your ways before I toss you out. I'm not providing a pulpit for those who want to teach the rest of us the errors of our ways. Dialogue and debate or GO. I mean it.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ECC 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.

The Occamian understanding of this proof text is that all of the dead are insensate, unconscious, oblivious.

To interpret this to mean that the dead are aware, sentient, alive but unknowing is a wonderful double paradox.

One can easily and more elegantly reconcile the nicely ambiguous references to the afterlife to this, with the (second?) resurrection, in which those not aware of salvation, the vast majority of humanity, are evangelized for the first and most effective, inexorably gracious and last time.

Thank God it isn't down to the Church!

Salvation is Christ and the faith in him that will come in the resurrection.

Because if it only comes to the paltry few fundies, then it's Hell for me please, along with 99.9999% of humanity. And God is a useless, racist, sadist.

What worries me about the exclusivist, esoteric, elite, elect, is that they will choose Hell rather than share God's grace in the resurrection with scum like me, or Jews, homosexuals, Moslems, Timothy McVeigh, Hindus, Neanderthals, pagans, animists, Catholics etc, etc.

I fear for their lives when they find God accepting anyone who loves Him on sight.

The fact they they would rather believe that God made the Jews of early to mid '40s Europe to burn twice, the second time forever, at the hands of nominal Christians who are in heaven is Pythonesque to say the least.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Max you said
quote:
Ecc. 9:5 has made a distinction. Job helps to clarify the distinction. Eventhough the exact words 'lost' do not appear in Ecc. 9:5. Those without Christ are spiritually dead (lost) and when they die in this state, they are in pain & torment & have no knowledge of Earthly things. In order to come to this conclusion, one must have a sound knowledge of scripture to help 'tie-in' the Bible as a whole

I agree but if you look at Ecc verses in there literal sense and if you include the Job verses we can only conclude all who die are dead.

But if you follow a non literal approach ie using other scripture to interpret the passage then you could come to the conclusion that you have arrived at but other conclusions are possible.

Max C you have agreed that to truly understand the Bible it must be interpreted in the Light of other scripture but this method is not literalism it is saying a bible passage striaght forward meaning can be changed so 'truth' is found after this process is gone through not when reading the Bible.

The only point I am trying to make is to make the Bible into the form of 'truth we want' we all come to it with a preconcieved ideas some people are willing to realiserthat there approach to bible needs to change and some people don't

A true literalist would be confused

It is a pity MC that you were unable to enter a discussion with Will and his post but I guess you may not have understood it.

Jim you said

quote:
Moses,Paul,Peter,David,Daniel,John,James,I think these believers were all fundies dont you?

Just considering the time of Jesus Peter and Paul I suspect the fundementalists of that time were the Sadducees who did not believe in the ressurection of the dead and who held to the literal idea of Ecclesiastees that when some is dead they are dead the good and the bad. The Pharisees may also have been considered fundemetalists in there interpretation of the law but they were a broard church which almost certianly included Jesus.

Peter, paul and jesus were the rebellious or liberals since they believed in the ressurection, the fact that Torah did not have to be kept literally. They were also really liberal in the fact that God's grace went beyond the Jewish people which went agianst the fundementals of Jewish faith at theat time.

I am aware that much of the above is open to disagreement but I considered Jims statement was not thought through enough.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my brain is deadened from browsing through ALL SEVEN PAGES of this "debate", so if I repeat something that's already been posted, apologies in advance.

A couple of things. First the oft-misunderstood nature of the Bible and the Word of God (Sam alluded to this a ways back).

The WORD of God (the Logos) is Jesus Christ. In our religion we worship the Logos -- Christ. The Bible is a record of the Logos. The Bible is NOT istelf the Logos. We do not worship the Bible (this is Orthodox Christianity 101). Contrast this with the Muslim understanding. Muslims believe that the Koran is the Logos, that God dictated it. Christians do not believe that God dictated the Bible. Christians believe the Bible was written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, but I hope the difference between "inspiration" and "dictation" is obvious enough not to be belaboured here.

Secondly, the Bible, in part and whole, is a foundational text of two world religions (Judaism and Christianity), it is a history book, a piece of literature, a theological work, an example of ancient Greco-Roman epistolary practice, as well as containing all things necessary to salvation.

Now, in the nineteenth century many very intelligent and well-educated German scholars began a systematic study of the Bible to which we refer as "Higher Criticism" (they were later joined by well-respected English and American scholars). Higher Criticism is an attempt to understand the Bible in its context AND form as literature, poetry, history, theology, politics, as well as to apply the basic tools of textual understanding. Before spouting off about the intention of ancient writers, or about prophecy fulfillments and what not, I very strongly suggest a little light reading in any of the excellent scholarly treatments of criticism of the Bible.

A very good introduction is "The New Testament : a historical introduction to the early Christian writings" by Bart Ehrman.

I can never understand why anyone who claims the Bible as the source of their faith and salvation wouldn't want to learn a little more about it.

Knowledge is power, use it wisely.

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Will
Shipmate
# 356

- Posted      Profile for Will   Author's homepage   Email Will   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, gee, Max - it seems you are arrogant beyond belief to call me ignorant of Tanakh since I have studied it since childhood (I am 46 now). Furthermore, your interpretation of the NT leaves quite a bit to be desired from most christians perspective I would wager.
I would like to hear the prophecies you claim since I doubt they are talking about what you say they are.
I think Steve has exposed you for the unbendable fundie you are. If you want to avoid my "silly" questions - no problem. It reflects on you not I.

--------------------
Shalom, Will.

Posts: 60 | From: Tx. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this going anywhere? I don't think so.

It's a pity really.

Jim, I don't know what it is that makes you need such a sense of security that you would sacrifice your freedom to explore the alternatives you have been presented. My concern is that a need for such security conceals a lot of pain.

I went through a period of fundamentalist belief. Looking back on it I think it was a natural result of being brought up in an abusive family. I think I wanted the security of a set of beliefs I didn't question, and of knowing that I was in, safe.

Everyone who argues with you is give proof texts. Believe me Jim, the reason you do not get proof texts back is because most people do not use the Bible in this way. Nobody likes talking to one who does not engage with their argument and they get annoyed with you. You may interpret this as persecution, but really it's because your behaviour comes over as dismissive and arrogant.

If you persist in pushing arguments that I for one have heard varients of for the last twenty years, without intending to grow in knowledge or faith then I would suggest that everyone leaves you alone.

Experience tells me that you may be ready to talk again some time.

Not angry, just sad. I thought for a moment I saw a spark in you, but you seem to have retreated into your "certainties".

God Bless

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jim Powell

BANNED
# 323

- Posted      Profile for Jim Powell         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stowaway, You are 100% wrong !

You call me arrogant for accepting the word of God,so how arrogant are those who reject the truth of scripture?

Christ said know the truth and the truth will make you free.Free from the power of the sin nature ,and from Satanic slavery.

I have total confidence in the Integrity of God,yes I am certain of my position in Christ,and do not live my life under the power of fear.Fear is not the plan of God.

You claim I am threatened by this Liberal garbage that is posted on here,Not so!You are judgeing me by your own feeble standards.

All the best Jim.

--------------------
After being judged for our sins,Our Lord said"It is finished"
(The work of our salvation)

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What liberal garbage is that Jim?

That God is most gracious?

That all sin from and to the figurative ends of time is forgiven in Christ and will be revealed to humanity in the resurrection?

That your definition of truth is personally limited, unchallenged, unexamined, epistemologically narrower than even mine? That you cannot and will not come down to our gutter and lift us up from it, stoop to conquer?

Am I on dangerous ground here Admin?

That your truth of the Bible isn't the same as my truth which isn't the same as woolly liberal rationalist, touchy feely, truth?

I have in common with you a conservative approach to much but I'm so liberal on grace I frighten liberals.

Whose truth is right Jim? Whose truth is true, truer, truest?

What is the highest truth? The greatest truth? The most important truth? The most fundamental truth? Is it true that they are synonyms for absolute truth?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Purgatory host, I have to note the following:

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Powell:
Stowaway, You are 100% wrong !

what can I say? I take it you missed the 3rd Commandment "Attack the issue, not the person"

quote:
You call me arrogant

who called you arrogant? If someone had, that would have been against the 3rd Commandment to (although possibly quite justified)

quote:
You claim I am threatened by this Liberal garbage that is posted on here

You obviously don't agree with other people who posted on this thread, and others. Most of those posts have been thought out positions clearly expressed, and well worth reading. You do not seem to have done so, failing to answer some clearly asked questions or respond to other positions. If I was to find "garbage" posted on these boards I know where I would look, and it wouldn't be the posts of the more liberal people here.

quote:
You are judgeing me by your own feeble standards.

We have standards here, they are clearly laid out in the 10 Commandments. If you continue the style of posting you've employed so far you may find that we are not quite as feeble as you thought. You have been warned, again. I doubt you'll get another warning

You have said before that you think this is not a forum for debate where you are comfortable, and that you are leaving. Perhaps it would be best if you did that, and save us the trouble of getting rid of you ourselves.

Alan

Purgatory host

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all, Max, apologies for taking so long to reply to your post.

But that's the only apologies you are going to get. You seem to be implying that I am not a Christian. Well, I resent that. You are obviously incapable of arguing without descending to personal abuse.

I have been a Christian for over twenty years and I've also got a brain, which I use as much as I can in the service of truth. I moght be right, I might be wrong; but I sure as hell will not have someone else telling me what I do and do not believe.

Personal abuse has no place here.

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shaun

BANNED
# 348

- Posted      Profile for Shaun         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is there any doubt in your mind jim?

i think there is...

Will
Shipmate
# 356

- Posted      Profile for Will   Author's homepage   Email Will   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite Max and Jim's behavior, can we get back on topic? Scriptural truth. It seems there are nearly as many "truths" as there are people to expound on them. Excellent!
To me, though, it seems the literalist approach (and this goes for many Orthodox Jews) is closing the door to people. Is Revelation where Jesus said he was an open door? By being narrow and exclusionary, I feel many people are left in the cold that otherwise may become one of the sheep.
As a Jew, I have a different perspective. I believe the main "truth" is your faith and your relationship with G-d and your desire to include others in His bountiful plan. By taking a superior, my way is the ONLY way approach, you have limited your potential harvest. Jews and christians alike are guilty of this. Why?
I do not see scripture as a narrow interpretation of personal truth, but a broad all-encompassing G-d's truth. He wants us all. Why should not we want the same thing?
G-d gave us 10 simple rules to follow, later narrowed to a very acceptable 2 by Jesus. If we can do this, why is not that not good enough?

--------------------
Shalom, Will.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
G-d gave us 10 simple rules to follow, later narrowed to a very acceptable 2 by Jesus. If we can do this, why is not that not good enough?

I'm with you, Will.

I really think that this is what Scripture is about, and all the rest of it just supports and explains those simple rules.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
faintsaint
Shipmate
# 151

- Posted      Profile for faintsaint   Email faintsaint   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arriving a few days late here...

quote:
Originally posted by Max Chapman:
...when the book of Revelation was written, there was no way for the entire world to witness an event at the same time it was happening. For years this prophesy has 'stumped' scholars as to the meaning of the 2 prophets being resurrected in front of the whole world, these scholars had no idea of the coming technology to equip the world with tv's & satelites, but God knew it.

So, do we assume that it's our mission to preach the gospel to the ends of the earth and to equip everyone with a TV before this prophecy is fulfilled? Or is this not a literal "whole world", Max?

Hmmm. You may have to reconsider this one, don't you reckon? Or think these things thru' for yourself rather than just accept what you're taught.

fs

--------------------
*iancognito*

Posts: 144 | From: Oop North Down Under | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Will
Shipmate
# 356

World (Greek):
3625 oikoumene {oy-kou-men'-ay}
feminine participle present passive of 3611 (as noun, by implication of 1093); TDNT - 5:157,674; n f
AV - world 14, earth 1; 15
1) the inhabited earth 1a) the portion of the earth inhabited by the Greeks, in distinction from the lands of the barbarians 1b) the Roman empire, all the subjects of the empire 1c) the whole inhabited earth, the world 1d) the inhabitants of the earth, men 2) the universe, the world.

Max, Jim - I Wonder which definition the author intended?

--------------------
Shalom, Will.

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Max, Jim - I Wonder which definition the author intended?

That's an easy one. "The definition that best fits my presuppositions".

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TC
Shipmate
# 70

- Posted      Profile for TC   Email TC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, an interesting read.

Jim, I appreciate that you don't follow or adhere to any of the preachers I mentioned however your overall tone and belief system reflects their wildly. Which leads me to believe that some things just get regurgitated as long as somebody believes it.

A few questions for both you and Max:

Why did you come here if not to debate?
    Why do you feel the need to convince everyone of what you believe?
    What does the word 'Grace' mean to you?

Having been where you are at I have some idea where you are coming from but I'd like to hear you articulate it anyway.

TC...

--------------------
'Perhaps the dream is dreaming us ... ' Sting, Soul Cages

TC
Shipmate
# 70

- Posted      Profile for TC   Email TC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jim, I appreciate that you don't follow or adhere to any of the preachers I mentioned however your overall tone and belief system reflects their wildly.

It is very bad form when I have to correct myself. ::sigh::

What I meant to say above was that even though Jim stated that he did not listen to or adhere to any of the teachers / teachings I mentioned in my earlier post, his beliefs and slant on things very much stems from this camp of fundamentalism.

Does that make sense?

TC...

--------------------
'Perhaps the dream is dreaming us ... ' Sting, Soul Cages

BugBear
Apprentice
# 568

- Posted      Profile for BugBear   Email BugBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Max,

You say: "I have faith that anything that God does is perfect (and this includes the completed canon of scripture). God is infallible & His doctrine is perfect".

I have no quarm with the assertion that God in infallible but the fact remains that the Bible was written through humans and so is, by definition, imperfect.

Whilst everything that God does is perfect, this does not meant that the end product is. For instance, though God created us in His image, we are imperfect. In the same way, whilst those writing scripture were called to do so by the Holy Spirit, the writers created a text in their own words, imposing their own interpretations and social contexts upon the work. For this reason, the Bible is a flawed text, albeit a very useful guide in how one might follow God's law.

I don't think that God ever intended the Bible to be a 'Ten Steps to Heaven'. Rather, I believe He requires us to use our minds and imagination to figure out how to live according to His will. I think that it is dangerous for us to rely on the Bible to provide literal answers to all issues.

BarbaraG
Shipmate
# 399

- Posted      Profile for BarbaraG     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I'm with you, Will.

I really think that this is what Scripture is about, and all the rest of it just supports and explains those simple rules.

A rabbi declared that he could recite the whole of the Law while standing on his head. His students were impressed, and asked him to demonstrate. So he stood on his head, and said:

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and your neighbour as yourself"

Then he stood on his feet and said: "The rest is just application"

BarbaraG

--------------------
still trying to make sense of the world

Posts: 143 | From: Nottinghamshire | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max Chapman
unregistered

- Posted            Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello,

Here is just a small sample of the OT prophecies concerning various things of the Messiah. (which you all said didn't exist)

1) Ex. 12:46..Num. 9:12...Psalm 34:12 Not a bone in Christ's body shall be broken...ties into John 19:36

2) Hos. 11:1 God's Son is called out of Egypt. ties in with Matt.2:15

3) Isaiah 7:14 Virgin birth prophesied.

4) Micah 5:2...Jesus comes out of Bethlehem.

5) Psalm 22:16-18...Christ's hands and feet are pierced on the Cross & the gambling for His clothes foretold.

6) Isaiah 50:6..Christ's beating by the Roman soldiers foretold. Spitting is His face foretold......

It is a historical fact that Jesus Christ was indeed here on Earth. It is a historical fact that He was indeed Crucified.

Hey all you hosts....I believe that commandment #5 should be upheld. These passages have proven many of you wrong, now it's time to own up to it......On 2nd thought, forget it. I don't need any accolades from a bunch of idiotic, arrogant, self-righteous losers such as yall.

That's right. You can't be a Christian & doubt the validity of the Bible.

Repent or keep a lot of ice handy. From what I understand, Hell is quite warm

Have fun,
Max C.

PS: Erin, you dissapoint me. I thought a down to Earth southerner such as yourself would be more grounded in Faith. You act just like the self-righteous Brits...what a shame

IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to get into Southern behavior, Max, you should know better than to come into someone else's house and tell them how to run it. I've had my share of transatlantic difficulties, this is true, but they have been spurred on, no doubt, by encounters with such narrow-minded people as yourself. The world does not begin and end at the Mason-Dixon Line, Max, and I'll be damned and go to hell before I'll sit here and watch you mindlessly insult my members because they dare to have a different cultural reference point and theological outlook as you.

You have a lot to learn, Max, but alas you will not be learning it here. Buh-bye.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tony
Apprentice
# 318

- Posted      Profile for Tony   Email Tony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dear Max,

I have no problem with the prophesies you quote. . .I have just checked them all and my NIV Study Bible makes exactly the same OT to NT connections you pointed out. (I can't see where Psalm 34:12 fits in though - a typo perhaps?).

Having made a perfectly good point, you then launch into a tirade of abuse against other shipmates for no other reason than that you thought that they might, just possibly, disagree with you. (Not that they did disagree with you, you just misread their posts!) By so doing you have broken commandments 3 & 6 - are you going for the set?

I am enormously amused that you think Erin should take your side for no other reason than her geographical proximity to you!

YIC

Tony

Posts: 32 | From: England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tony, re southernness, yes, i find it vastly amusing that the most southern southern person i know (a very dear friend i've been attempting, so far unsuccessfully, but i'll get there, to join the ship) would find absolutly no connection to any of maxs posts.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Administrator’s notes:

All right, y'all, Max is gone. I don't mind leaving this thread open to continue the discussion of the original subject. However, I don't want to see any piling on someone who can no longer defend himself. Neither do I want to see comments directed towards someone who can’t answer.

Let's get back to the discussion at hand, shall we? Otherwise I’ll close this thread.

Erin

--------------------

Will
Shipmate
# 356

Hope this is not considered piling on Max, but others agreed, so I wanted to give my perspective.

Max' list: (my comments in bold)
Here is just a small sample of the OT prophecies concerning various things of the Messiah. (which you all said didn't exist)

1) Ex. 12:46..Num. 9:12...Psalm 34:12 Not a bone in Christ's body shall be broken...ties into John 19:36

Exodus passage is simply rules for the passover lamb. Same for Numbers. As for the Psalm, I do not see the connection? Somebody help me out here?
Sorry, but none of that ties in with John 19:36. One is talking about the passover lamb and rules for same. Explain how that would tie in to John without some mighty liberal interpretation.

2) Hos. 11:1 God's Son is called out of Egypt. ties in with Matt.2:15

Isn't that a metaphor which clearly refers to the entire people of Israel leaving Egypt? Hosiah continues on to say, "He shall not return to Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his King." Hosiah 11.5. This is clearly referring to the conquest of Israel by Assyria, or did Jesus become an Assyrian citizen?
Same thing with Matthew's interpretation. How does this become a fulfilled prophecy of Messiah?

3) Isaiah 7:14 Virgin birth prophesied.

Ah, my favorite misinterpretation. For one thing the verse should saythe virgin, not a virgin. I believe the RSV has made this correction. The prophet is speaking to King Ahaz here of his new bride. He was simply saying if the King had faith in the L-rd and guts enough to name his child what G-d commanded, then he would be a mighty king and be delivered from certain defeat.
Further reading of the chapter shows all things Ahaz could bring about with faith. None of these things happened after Jesus' birth. Quite the opposite in fact. I suggest reading the whole chapter in context and not picking out one verse.
I also did not see a "fulfillment" verse.
This one?
Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
When was he ever called Immanuel? Also, right before that in verse 21, it says his name will be called Jesus. Explain, please?

Also, Mat 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.
Could someone show me where in Tanakh this fulfillment comes from?

4) Micah 5:2...Jesus comes out of Bethlehem.

Finally a Messianic prophecy, but where is the fulfillment?
Perhaps Mat 2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.
No that could not be it because Jesus did not govern anything. Explain please?

5) Psalm 22:16-18...Christ's hands and feet are pierced on the Cross & the gambling for His clothes foretold.

I will not quibble much with this one. It is a song. The author also speaks of unicorns and lions and bulls of Bashar(am). None of these things are mentioned in the gospels.

6) Isaiah 50:6..Christ's beating by the Roman soldiers foretold. Spitting is His face foretold......

Once more a single verse plucked from the chapter. Reading in context shows once again He is speaking to the people of Israel

I will start a new thread and explain my presence on this board for the 2 or 3 interested. Please believe me when I say it is not to be antagonistic.

--------------------
Shalom, Will.

Pikachu
Shipmate
# 170

- Posted      Profile for Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, are we still on here? Still able to post?
This was startin' to look like a post in Hell.. whew!
Anyway, there's been so many posts I can't remember who's said what...so I'll just comment, maybe you'll recognize it if I refer to something you've said...

Ruth, I do remember that you said something about it being unnecessary to read the Bible straight through. True, it is 66 books (the Protestant one anyway..) but it reads beautifully like one continuous story. Besides, it's easier to see the progression of events, if it is read continuously. Yes, I trudged through Exodus/Leviticus/Numbers/Deuteronomy (great for insomnia!) but it was worth it. Seriously, try it! It makes so much more sense when read straight through, at least it did to me.

I would say that the Bible is like anything else - the amount of time you spend on it depends upon your interest in it. I don't believe that a person's theological correctness with get them in/keep them out of heaven. How much does a person want to learn about God/Jesus? The Bible will teach you. I have tried to learn the Bible well, so that when it is discussed, I can discern for myself what statements agree/disagree with the Bible, as I understand it.

My habit has been to staunchly defend the truth of the Bible. But to those who say, "define truth" - Jesus said He was the Way, the Truth, and the Life.. beyond that, I can't tell you a definition. And to those who say that the Bible can't be totally true, or words to that effect - well, we can keep searching the Bible or any other source, as long as we are living on this earth we will never know God 100%, not even through Jesus because He was limited by His humanity. The Bible, as dearly as I love it, was limited by its human writers. Some day we'll know the real Truth.

The person who posted that the Bible was not dictated by God, but instead, inspired by the Holy Spirit - that makes a lot of sense to me.

--------------------
I know Jesus has a sense of humor, He made my cockatoo.

Posts: 53 | From: Cleveland, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
faintsaint
Shipmate
# 151

- Posted      Profile for faintsaint   Email faintsaint   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will

Just a word of encouragement.
I'm finding your posts fascinating and stimulating, and I'm sure many others are too. You're very welcome here!
(even if your perspective sometimes makes things a little uncomfortable for us "comfortable Christians"!)

Keep on postin', friend!

fs

--------------------
*iancognito*

faintsaint
Shipmate
# 151

Oh, and as to whether we regard scripture as "truth", well...

I really can't improve on the argument that says that if The Bible was inspired by God (i.e. God didn't use a dictaphone) and thus seen through a glass darkly, then how can we expect to get the interpretation 100% right ourselves? So no, I can't accept scripture as truth, merely as containing (some) truth and pointing to God, The Truth.

If our God is one who demands we get straight A's in exegesis and hermeneutics, then heaven is going to be verrrrry quiet.

The problem with relying on one perspective when it comes to understanding and interpreting The Bible (as, I'm afraid it appears Jim and Max do) is that you rely on one person's infallibility. And no-one is infallible, so you create a house of cards that you end up defending till it finally crumbles. And, trust me, I've been there... and don't want to go there again.

I'm from an evangelical background, as are many here from what I know and have seen here. Some remain firmly of that "persuasion" (for want of a better word - sorry, it is 12.50 AM), and some , like me, aren't sure quite what they are any more. But evangelicalism is a broad church, despite what many may say within and without that label.

Despite our differences can, I hope, learn from each others' perspectives and traditions, even if we vehemently disagree. That's why I welcome Will's presence here in particular, as I've already said.

Enough for now...

fs

--------------------
*iancognito*

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pikachu -- Actually, what I'd like to do sometime is read the OT in chronological order; read along in the history books, switching over to each of the prophets at the appropriate times.

Will: Not to defend Max (!), but I'm sure you're aware (painfully?) that much Christian interpretation of the OT is done looking backwards through what we see as the full revelation of God in Jesus Christ. That said, I'm going to copy and save your virgin birth stuff for the next time I end up arguing against the virgin birth. [You do need to quit with Max now, or it will be piling on and Erin will get mad. Believe me, the wrath of Erin is no small thing!]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The references that Max pointed out raise an interesting point. It was mentioned on the old boards, but what the hell.

The fact is that the NT writers use OT texts in ways that are not pointed to by their context. This points to an understanding of the texts that they are not simple prophecies, but inspired writings containing almost subtextual truths that the writers couldn't have known about - themes that are brought to fruition in Jesus - virgin born, suffering servants, unblemished lamb, pierced God.

Interestingly, these themes also appear in other texts and religious stories - Odin pinned to a tree by a spear to win wisdom for mankind, the dying god Balder (who I suspect originally returned to life in the spring and was slain in the autumn), the triune goddesses Matrones, the resurrected Osiris, and so on and so forth.

The point is that the NT writers seem to have had a 'through a glass darkly' understanding of the OT scriptures, rather than a literalist one. By literalist exegesis rules, the bones broken reference can refer only to the passover lamb, not as a prophecy of the means of Jesus' crucifixion.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Shipmate
# 279

- Posted      Profile for Groucho   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Pikachu -- Actually, what I'd like to do sometime is read the OT in chronological order; read along in the history books, switching over to each of the prophets at the appropriate times.

How about (as a slightly different tack) reading them in the approximate order in which they were written? Find out from a good book on the bible when most people think each book came into being and read them in that order, to see how the development of religious thought happened.

Could be interesting!

--------------------
"These are my principles.
If you don't like them, I have others."

Posts: 111 | From: Halifax | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could get very complicated, Groucho. Especially in the first five books. I mean, you'd have to read Gen 2 before Gen 1, for a start.

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Groucho
Shipmate
# 279

- Posted      Profile for Groucho   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWal:
Could get very complicated, Groucho. Especially in the first five books. I mean, you'd have to read Gen 2 before Gen 1, for a start.

You would also have the problem of the psalms!

I'm not saying it would be easy, but it could be a very revealing exercise. Having said that, I doubt that it is one I will be undertaking in the near future. If someone does, though, be sure to let me know how it goes....

--------------------
"These are my principles.
If you don't like them, I have others."

Posts: 111 | From: Halifax | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't one of the problems with saying that the Bible is 100% true that, in the end, you are only able to work with the part of it that you understand and are able to agree with. If I do not agree with it then maybe I don't understand it!

As Dave Tomlinson says in The Post-Evangelical, this makes defending the Bible a monumental waste of time. We would do better to study it and meditate and pray over it and come to some workable lifestyle/faith.

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by faintsaint:
Will

Just a word of encouragement.
I'm finding your posts fascinating and stimulating, and I'm sure many others are too. You're very welcome here!
(even if your perspective sometimes makes things a little uncomfortable for us "comfortable Christians"!)

Keep on postin', friend!

fs

Firstly can I agree with fs here and secondly can I say that if reading these discussions in Purgatory doesn't regularly make "comfortable Christians" a little less comfortable then we are not doing things properly.

Following Christ should never be a comfortable option, but a permanent challenge.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Will
Shipmate
# 356

Thanks guys. I agree that your faith should not be comfortable as you should have reason and conviction for it.
I have been doing a Wed. night Bible study (Christian) for a couple of months now. Hey, I just love the scholarship...the exegesis of it all. Besides, I wanted to see what makes you guys really tick.
Anyway, it is coming up my turn to pick a book to dissect. It seems since I have started attending the balance of discussion has been Tanakh.
I want to learn more about the NT (you can only go so far yourself), but do not want to start off real heavy with these guys. After reading James, I thought it might be good since it was written to the 12 tribes scattered abroad and is not so much doctrine as a sensible way to carry on. What do you guys think?

--------------------
Shalom, Will.

faintsaint
Shipmate
# 151

quote:
Originally posted by Steve_R:
Following Christ should never be a comfortable option, but a permanent challenge.

Exactly. That's why I value Will's posts, because they give me at least a totally new perspective on things, and make me uneasy.

Time and time again, I hear someone else's slant (usually some reknowned or not-so-reknowned theologian or denominational absolute] on things, recycled as if it's the person's own fresh idea.

To hear from a Jewish perspective is a totally new experience for me... maybe I'm just an iconoclast? But it rings my bell.

And Will, James sounds like an excellent choice for your Bible study. It can be seen a contentious if read as "works not faith" (which I'm sure you already realise).

You could have a thread here in Purgatory running alongside it perhaps?

fs

--------------------
*iancognito*

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You could have a thread here in Purgatory running alongside it perhaps?

Virtual Bible study! Fabulous idea.

Peregrinner
Shipmate
# 409

- Posted      Profile for Peregrinner     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just moving this thread on a crucial and controversial subject to the top of the list to remind me that it is worth reading.

--------------------
I have always thought...

Posts: 271 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you! I agree that this topic is too vital to languish in obscurity. After all, if Christianity and Judaism are based on the Bible it is fairly important how it is understood.

quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway:
Isn't one of the problems with saying that the Bible is 100% true that, in the end, you are only able to work with the part of it that you understand and are able to agree with. If I do not agree with it then maybe I don't understand it!

This is a great comment. I believe that the Bible is 100% true, but only in a certain sense. It is true only if you understand it properly.

I think that the Bible needs to be seen as a divinely magical entity - a book that in a miraculous way is the actual presence of God on earth.

According to this view, the Bible becomes a book which is open or closed, true or false, depending on how it is approached and understood. Fundamentally it is a book about God and heaven, and it is open only to people who go to it wanting to know how to have heaven in their life. The key to the book is in the heart of the reader. It is a genuine magical object right out of the fairy tales.

If you don't have the key, then, the Bible makes no sense. Obviously there is a kind of Catch 22 built into this equation. This is what makes the original question of this thread so difficult to answer.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Steve R:
quote:
..can I say that if reading these discussions in Purgatory doesn't regularly make "comfortable Christians" a little less comfortable then we are not doing things properly.

As an old southern evangelist once said,

quote:
A minister's job is to comfort the
afflicted; an evangelist's job is to afflict the comfortable.

Interesting implication.

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Apprentice
# 171

- Posted      Profile for Rob   Email Rob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim Powell,
I have not read all the post on this thread so forgive me if what I say has been previously expressed. Now to my point.
In my greek exegesis class I was taught that word translated "is" could just as easily be translated "that is" implying that not all scripture is given by God, some of us don't accept ths Sheperd of Hermes". Also it has been said that "is" is not even in the text but added later. It has been a while since I did greek exegesis.If any of you know of what I speak then speak up and let me know.

--------------------
booga booga

Posts: 29 | From: Kokomo,IN | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Rob: Jim Powell was thrown off the ship for repeatedly crusading (a violation of the ship's commandments).
John Collins
Shipmate
# 41

- Posted      Profile for John Collins   Author's homepage   Email John Collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please forgive my general intrusion, as an infidel/heathen/whatever, in this subject but (2p-worth follows whether you forgive it or not)....

It has to be said that it is amazing that so much heat, with at least one person being fed to the sharks, can be generated by such an apparently trivial subject. Why should this be? And why should threats of hellfire be dished out to those who disagree? It's weird.

I have to say that for me the bible is so full of so full of gratituous and bizarre contradictions and absurdities that I don't see how anyone can think of any of it is inspired.

Just to take one example, consider the two accounts of the Census taken by David (this has been referred to on another thread). In 2 Samuel it's God who gets David to take it, in 1 Chronicles it's Satan. Figures and totals are different, including in particular the price paid for the threshing floor, paid for in silver in one case and (much more) gold in the other case.

It seems to me that when you've got duplicated accounts there are discrepancies between the versions as here, various other places and of course over the ressurection story.

Why then should we take "as gospel" the rest of it?

Moreover the selection of the canon seems a bit dubious to me. In particular the Christian books which talk about it explain why the OT apocrypha was discounted but gloss quickly over the NT one. One has to go elsewhere to learn, for example, that the Shepherd of Hermas nearly made it whilst 2 Peter nearly didn't. Also Jude's quotation of an apocryphal OT book does surely suggest that Jude was wrongly included or the OT book wrongly excluded?

I know from my own experience and self-observation that I get defensive and obstreperous when I am on weak argumentative ground. As the fur has flown on this threat mostly when people have taken a strong literalist stance, doesn't this say something?

--------------------
John Collins

Posts: 179 | From: Welwyn Garden City, Herts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's be careful not to require the Bible to satisfy our limited human understanding before we acknowledge it's reliability.

Two uninspired observations on what Mr. Collins brought up:

In the OT, there is often a sense where both God and Satan act. One example is the evil spirit that God let torment Saul. Or God allowing Satan to mess with Job. Later on, God is no way denies He was behind Job's suffering. MUCH more could be written on this thorny subject, of course.

Jude quoted the Apocalypse of Enoch. (I'm good sometimes!) Quoting something does not necessarily mean that all of what is quoted is inspired truth. Paul quoted a pagan Cretan poet, you might remember.

I don't know where to go from here... Oh that's right. I need to get ready for church.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Collins
Shipmate
# 41

- Posted      Profile for John Collins   Author's homepage   Email John Collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:

Two uninspired observations on what Mr. Collins brought up:

In the OT, there is often a sense where both God and Satan act. One example is the evil spirit that God let torment Saul. Or God allowing Satan to mess with Job. Later on, God is no way denies He was behind Job's suffering. MUCH more could be written on this thorny subject, of course.

Jude quoted the Apocalypse of Enoch. (I'm good sometimes!) Quoting something does not necessarily mean that all of what is quoted is inspired truth. Paul quoted a pagan Cretan poet, you might remember.

To which I'd reply in the first case that (the book of) Job says what's going on. It doesn't say in one place that God did something and in another parallel report of the same event that Satan did something.

In the second, Paul quoted a pagan poet, yes, but he wasn't making out that the said poet was inspired in some way - unlike the quotation from Enoch in Jude.

--------------------
John Collins

Posts: 179 | From: Welwyn Garden City, Herts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Collins:
In the second, Paul quoted a pagan poet, yes, but he wasn't making out that the said poet was inspired in some way - unlike the quotation from Enoch in Jude.

John, this implies that only the writings which we have in the current Bible are inspired. It has long been recognised that many books outside the canon of Scripture are inspired. For example, the Articles of the Church of England (following 4th century writers such as Rufinus) distinguish between canonical books (inspired and normative for faith) and ecclesiastical books (which though still inspired and edifying are not considered normative).

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016