homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Should we accept that all scripture is to be accepted as truth? (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Should we accept that all scripture is to be accepted as truth?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was one more word than his previous three posts combined. At this rate he might even reach the verbosity of a Mousethief one-liner! We might even learn what "yes" means in the context of the discussion on this thread.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm seldom that terse for multiple posts in a row, and my one-worders are pretty rare. Lay off the personal attacks.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took him 2.5 years to come up with "Yes"?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Lay off the personal attacks.

You are, of course, correct. I was out of line mentioning your name at all, and I apologise.

I've also been a bit short with Stoker. And, I apologise for that as well. This is a thread I have contributed to over the years (and other threads on similar subjects) and I feel it's a subject worthy of serious discussion. Really, I'd just like to know what Stoker thinks about the subject, and the discussion we've already had here, and engage in further discussion with someone who may have different opinions to my own.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
It took him 2.5 years to come up with "Yes"?

Some fairy tales have the damsel being nearly that coy.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Powell:
I do not see that we have authority to just pick out those sections that we like,and reject the parts that we may dislike.
What think Ye?

What think ye of the Words of Institution? Metaphor or literally true?

The proud literalists make an exception there quite consistently, in my experience.

The New Testament verses you quote were not scripture at the time they were written, nor was anything else in the New Testament. They could apply only to the "Old Testament". Citing them to authenticate themselves would be a case of what Douglas Hofstadter calls "strange loops:" like the disorientation that would result if you tried to buy at the checkout counter one of those rubber sticks that divide one customer's groceries from another's; or expected the garbage collectors to dispose of your trash can.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
I do not see that we have authority to just pick out those sections that we like,and reject the parts that we may dislike.
What think Ye?

Then do you accept the Apocrypha as scripture, as the ancient church did? Or do you reject "the parts you dislike?"

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Then do you accept the Apocrypha as scripture, as the ancient church did? Or do you reject "the parts you dislike?"

We've been here before MT - last time round you explained to me that Protestants, RCs and Orthodox all have different categories for scripture.

If, for example, one group views the Apocrypha as less important than the Gospels then it really comes down to semantics whether you call the Apocrypha scripture or not.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I wasn't asking you, was I?

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies - I thought this was a bulletin board.
Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wasn't asking you, was I?

Since you mis-attributed someone else's words to me, it's impossible to know whom you were asking. [Smile]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's getting a bit fractious down here. Can people get back on topic? Or if personal bickering is desired, you all know here the Hell board is.
Ta!

Louise
Dead Horses Host

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016