homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Should homosexuals be allowed to adopt children? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Should homosexuals be allowed to adopt children?
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi
This is a copy of a post that was put on my uni bulletin boards, and I thought it would be good to get your opinion on the issue:

"Hi!

As you can tell from the message thread I wonder whether it would be possible
to start a discussion on this topic. So I would in particular like to hear
both sides of the argument, the 'fors' as well as the 'againsts'.

Cheers

HT"

There you are - discuss!!

dave 8o)

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is formal notice that I will only post to this thread in my official (officious, even) capacity as a host of Purgatory. I will not take a side in the discussion.

It has been the experience of the Ship's old hands that homosexuality is one of the hottest topics out there. Our last big fight on the old boards was over this issue. Therefore I urge all who choose to take part to take especial care to be civil and to re-read what you've written before you hit the "Add Reply" button.

The Ship's Third Commandment is particularly apt here: attack the issue, not the person. Please re-read it before you begin posting to this thread.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well i don't see why they shouldn't. i've heard all the arguments against, and i don't think any of 'em hold up.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is going to turn ito a thread about rights and wrongs about homosexuality generally, but lets try to keep to the topic.

Is a homosexual couple any less loving? Does the bible state what the "perfect family unit" is? Does a child need both a male and female role model in the house to grow into maturity?

I find the answer to all these "no", and I second Nicole as I have yet to haer a good argument against.

But there may be one of course....

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I third Nicole. Gosh, this is getting dull innit?

--------------------
Still hanging in there...

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob R
Apprentice
# 322

- Posted      Profile for Bob R   Author's homepage   Email Bob R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi,

We were created male and female not by some cosmic accident but by the design of God. That being the case, and considering the accompanying biology, it is reasonable to suppose that the normal family unit is comprised of parents and children.

Homosexuals cannot be parents and are therefore not a natural family unit. If you do not regard these facts as being relevant to the issue then you must have be wearing blinkers.

An unnatural "family" is by implication problematic because it denies nature. Even if you are an atheist and believe in evolution you would have to agree that, considering that the species would die out if homosexuality was widespread, it is an abberation.

For a child to be a part of such an unnatural union cannot be healthy because it will be denied the building blocks of a life during which it will have to relate to normal people.

Yours in Christ,

Bob R

--------------------
I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken.

Oliver Cromwell in a letter to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, 3 Aug 1650

Posts: 43 | From: Greenock | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Homosexuals can be parents. Fair enough it takes a third person to be involved.

But to me the issue is really "is it better for a child to either be in a children's home, or a string of foster carers, or with parents who will love, care and support them".

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
in this case it takes a fourth person as well...
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

if we are talking couples, which i assumed...
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well it took my cousin nancy three people to have her twins (they were carried by a surrogate mother though they are biologically hers) so that doesn't prove anything anyway.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally I've just marked a set of exam questions on the topic - or rather on the topic "is having a nontraditional family psychologically damaging". It's not my speciality but I do know a few of the facts.

Very little research has been done on gay male couples with children as there have been so few to date. Most of the research has been on single lesbian, lesbian couples, versus single heterosexual mothers. The original research was mainly done where the biological mother was in a heterosexual marriage before either deciding to be single and gay or in a gay couple. However subsequent research suggests the findings are the same for families where the mother has always known she was gay.

Children in such families (single or attached gay mother) don't do any worse than children in traditional families. A few differences are found, some a little negative (more teasing in teenage years), some positive (lesbian mothers are found to be more caring and attentive to small children), some not very surprising but not really damaging (children do just as well at school but in middle childhood tend to think they do less well, though this wears off).

Also the idea that you "learn" to be gay isn't backed up - children of gay parents are no more likely to be gay. They are slightly more likely to have a few fantasies and maybe act them out in their young adult life but their final sexual orientation is no more likely to be gay than children from traditional families or those with a single heterosexual mother.

I can look up the references for anyone that wants them.

Katie

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all a ‘natural family’ consisting solely of parents and children is quite a modern invention and not especially natural. A wider group consisting of unmarried or widowed uncles, aunts and cousins, grandparents and other in-laws plus the occasional, unrelated odd-bod thrown in for good measure, is far more like it.

Of course, the only people allowed to adopt children should be healthy, young (but not too young), morally unimpeachable (but not self-righteous), firm (but not too strict), loving (but not too needy or sentimental) intelligent and creative (but not overly-committed) AND above all well-balanced. In fact, NOBODY should be allowed to adopt children or even raise their own – we’re all far too deeply flawed. Indeed, as Philip Larkin said, “They……..” No, perhaps not (discretion is the better part of valour).

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Should homosexuals be allowed to adopt children?

Yes.

Parenting seems to be very much about patience and love. These qualitiesare not related to sexual orientation.

Heterosexual people have gay, lesbian and bisexual children.

Gay, lesbian and bi-sexual people have children who grow up to be heterosexual.

Sexual orientation makes no difference to the ability to father or bear children.

If a man donates sperm for a lesbian to become pregnant, then her same sex partner is of the same relation to the child as my stepfather is to me. That doesn't seem strange or unnatural.

Being brought up in a same sex household is not exactly revolutionary either. Plenty children have been brought up by say - their mother and their granny, or by fathers or elder brothers. It's not exactly new!

All the single parent households after (and during) the two world wars weren't following a 'normal' pattern for their society, but I don't hear anyone attacking war widows as abnormal because of it.

Those of us who have grown up in abusive heterosexual families (eg. where the father was an alcoholic) know all about being denied the building blocks of a life: safety, patience, love and support. These things are not determined by sexual orientation.

Love, patience, kindness, compassion, these things will be normal in heaven. In the meantime we aspire towards making those things 'normal' on earth through following Christ.

But of course these things are not normal on earth, it's much more 'normal' to make people's lives miserable, to hate judge and condemn them because they are different in some way.

Dealing positively with these aspects of 'normality' is a challenge to all of us, not just to Gay and Lesbian people and their children.

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about a 'normal' family where they lock the kids in a cupboard until they've eaten as much of the wall as they can manage? (About two and a half days)

Is that better, because the parents are straight??

--------------------

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much as I hate to weigh in with the majority, I'd like to point out the serious flaw with the argument from "natural" families such as Bob's.

If homosexuals cannot adopt because they cannot "naturally" be parents then neither should a sterile heterosexual couple adopt -because they can't naturally be parents either of course.

This limits the options for adoption quite alarmingly.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
gbuchanan
Shipmate
# 415

- Posted      Profile for gbuchanan   Email gbuchanan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A significant issue in the case of adoption can be the age and relationship of the child to the adopting adult.

Historically, adoption often occurred due to children becoming orphaned, or losing at least one parent to death. This often lead to children being adopted by a relative who may be single, etc., or a friend of the family, etc. In such cases, I'd think the sexuality issue would be a very minor consideration compared to the reliability of the adoptive parent, and the quality of their relationship with the child.

Very few adoptions in the UK are now at birth - so in many senses the same framework of questions arise.

Just an incomplete thought...

Posts: 683 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Even if you are an atheist and believe in evolution

Care to back up that assertion that folk who accept evolution are atheists, me old china?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All I would like to say on this subject is that if I ever had any children, I would want my sister (who is a lesbian) to be their guardian in the event of my death. I know that she would provide them with a loving home and try to bring them up well.

Jane R

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ideal arrangement for a child is living with two happily married parents and surrounded by an extended family and a large group of friends. The reality is can sometimes be very different.

A gay friend has just fostered an eighteen year old whose parents [mum and step dad] announced that they were moving outside the area, and there was a spare bedroom available for visits …

The teenager is in their final year of school and there wasn’t really anywhere else to go. The parents didn’t seem particularly interested in the teenagers future living arrangements. Fortunately, my friend had a spare room and a conscience. Okay, the relationship between the parents and the teenager wasn’t wonderful, but to me this seems extremely selfish. To be blunt, both my friend and eighteen year old have both thrived under the new arrangements. The best place for any child is with someone who loves them and wants the best for them – gay or straight.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dani
Apprentice
# 494

- Posted      Profile for Dani   Author's homepage   Email Dani   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused. <---- (see)

Are any of the opinions written above based on a biblical viewpoint or have all your responses been based on secular thinking?

Posts: 3 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TC
Shipmate
# 70

- Posted      Profile for TC   Email TC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dani,

What do you mean by secular thinking?

As far as you can deduce, what does the bible say on this matter?

TC...

--------------------
'Perhaps the dream is dreaming us ... ' Sting, Soul Cages

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Hey Dani,
I think I see what you mean - but personally I believe that as a Christian my thoughts are... my thoughts. Who I am has been vastly influenced by the Bible - AND by other's interpretation and teaching, and I'm working really hard to see which is which.

I happen to know married couples where one partner is gay, which confuses the issue even more!

I guess my theology is 'Love and let God judge' - I agree, you can easily shoot me down in flames; but I feel a lot better about that than I did with my old hard-line views.

After all you can make a pretty good argument for people with interest-bearing bank accounts being total anathema to the Lord if you look at the right OT passages.....

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In 'the world', of course. In the body of Christ, for an openly practicing homosexual, of course not.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dani:
I'm confused. <---- (see)

Are any of the opinions written above based on a biblical viewpoint or have all your responses been based on secular thinking?

How about both? As a host here, I will remain neutral in discussions of homosexuality on this thread, but it is useful to note that as a general matter, many members' views on this or any subject will be based both on experience of the world and informed by our understanding of scripture.

For example, I hold with the Quaker understanding that scripture is one part of the revelation of the Word (that is, Jesus) but that that revelation is ongoing, to be interpreted and applied with guidance of the spirit of God within each person. So holding, I would personally not find an argument that "the bible says X" to be a final or decisive one.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dani
Apprentice
# 494

- Posted      Profile for Dani   Author's homepage   Email Dani   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm an evangelical Christian. For me that means the Bible is my authority in life. Sure I draw upon my experience, my logic and reason and those institutions around me, but the Bible is my life-guide. I believe the Bible makes some things very clear. One of those things is sinfulness.

So I guess in a round about way I come to this. If we should sinful behaviour by what is culturally relevant or dictated by our experience and not by the Bible then by definition we are saying that what qualifies as sinfulness changes as our society and experiences change. If sinfulness is at it's heart disobedience from God then how do the guildines of what sin is change if God never does (as the Bible states?). Doesn't the bible say that sin is a problem between us and God primarily?

It may not sound like it relates to this topic- but it does (at least in my mind) because it seems to me that most (if not all) of the opinions stated above have no real biblical basis at all (which is fine if you are a non-christian) but are rather based on what society or social trends tell us.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 3 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Well that is a reasonable reaction to what we have written, Dani. And I suppose youhave hit on why a lot of us are here. I bet I'm not the only ex-Evangelical on this Ship. Trouble is, you see, Life Hits.

I have many gay friends. Some are Christians. The Christians have mostly
a) known they were gay since they were about 9 years old, and
b) prayed for healing/deliverance/etc... and remained the same.

I have come to the conclusion that their nature is just that - how they are. And it's a cop-out, IMHO, to say, "Well fine, but stay celibate..." It would be like someone telling me it's wrong to be short-sighted... well, okay as long as you don't use glasses.

We are of course to seek to live as God wants us to live. But can I have the temerity to claim that I know how that should be for everyone I meet? No, of course not - I'm sure you don't either.

I know many gay men who desperately want to know God, and the churches have locked them out. Where does the Unmerciful Servant come into it? Or the Prodigal Son? How can they repent if there's no place for them to go to do so?

I engage/struggle with the Bible. I see it as a matter of intellectual integrity, though I'm not a Theologian and my four languages don't include Greek and Hebrew. I used to see the Isrealites' response to the tribes in Canaan as indicative of God's attitude to sin... well, yes - but having seen this Government's rising panic when faced with Foot and Mouth, I have to ask myself - did that Loving God even TELL them to slaughter everybody in their path? Did He perhaps tell them to share His love... and the leaders panicked? if Tony Blair could get away with pinning the idea for mass slaughter on God I'm sure it'd be a great relief to him!

You see, I have this problem with mix'n'match Testaments.

But yes, I DO see what you're saying, for all that - I just don't agree like I would have a few years ago.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dani, You question whether what 'qualifies as sinfulness changes as our society and experiences change'

Do you consider polygamy or slave-holding to be sins ? Yet both are OK in large parts of the Bible

Slave-holding was fine by St Paul. He wanted it to be a little more kinder and humane but he did not speak out against slave-holding.

(He was into compassionate slave-holding - I wonder if it's related to 'compassionate conservativism'?

Polygamy and concubinage were fine in the Old Testament (and so was animal sacrifice).

For a thought experiment ask yourself why we consider these things to be wrong or sinful now, but didn't in the time of David or of Paul.

You speak of sin as disobedience to a never-changing God. Yet God gives us big broad brush commandments which require a lot of thought and initiative. They're not so much to be disobeyed as to be lived up to - and it's not always clear how to live up to them. They pose questions which have many many good possible answers.

The answers to how to live up to love your neighbour as yourself all depend on who your neighbour is! One size answer won't fit all - you do have to use your initiative - like the good servant who went and put the talent to work instead of fearfuly burying it in the ground.

When Christ was asked "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"

He responded "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your
soul, and with all your mind.
This is the great and first commandment.
And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

To a 7th century BC person treating all your wives and your concubines and your slaves nicely would do for the second part.

To a 1st century AD person treating your slaves nice and having only one wife would do it.

To a late 19th century person it meant freeing the slaves.

To a 21st century person that can mean treating my gay and lesbian neighbours as myself and valuing them as Jesus valued the Samaritans, the Canaanites and other groups discriminated against in his time and society.

God meant us to use our brains and our initiative to work out - using Jesus's example - what is the loving thing to do.

There is not one right answer and one wrong answer to 'How do I love my neighbour as myself' but many many many answers of varying degrees of good, bad or indifferent which do vary across time and across cultures.

It's late! I'm tired! I have to leave it there

cheers,
Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always have a problem with the "Bible is my only guide" argument from conservative Christians.
So why don't you keep a Kosher kitchen?
If you have fertility problems, perhaps your husband should impregnate your maidservant? The one who sleeps on the floor at the foot of your bed?
Let's go back to considering menstruating women "unclean" and insist that they remove themselves from society?

How many Christians who believe the Bible is the unerring word of God still eat shellfish and pork? Don't they believe the dietary laws in Leviticus? Why not? Where does it say that Christ "undid" these Old Testament laws? And if he did, then why are some laws undone and others left standing? Isn't the ENTIRE Bible unerring?

I know I'm leaving myself open to particular corrections (I'm no Bible scholar!). But I seriously don't understand how conservative Christians can study the Bible in such detail; pick and choose which parts they want to believe in; and then claim that they believe in every word of it as God's truth.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realized I didn't address the main topic.

I believe that gays should be allowed to adopt. The devil in the details, whatever the type of household being considered, is that it is difficult to discover sleazy people of any sexual orientation. There is always a risk in placing a child in a household, whether by birth or family or government.

But while the Bible in places condemns homosexual activity (along with many other things), it doesn't seem to make any judgements about what sort of people should be involved in raising children. It focuses, instead, on HOW the children should be raised. The emphasis seems to be on the lessons to be taught, and the assumption is that these lessons will be the result of the behavior of the community in which the child lives. Even in our "nuclear family" civilization, children are generally exposed to many more influences that just their household.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

How many Christians who believe the Bible is the unerring word of God still eat shellfish and pork? Don't they believe the dietary laws in Leviticus? Why not? Where does it say that Christ "undid" these Old Testament laws? And if he did, then why are some laws undone and others left standing? Isn't the ENTIRE Bible unerring?

Mat 15:10-11 And he called the people to him and said to them, "Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth which defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man."

That deals with the dietary laws. As for the other parts of the law as set forth in Leviticus, we have had some fun discussions on that in the past as we will, no doubt, here and in the future.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My response is based on the fact that most parents seek to be “good enough”. They try to love and nurture the children in the care, teach them skills they’re going to need for life and don’t abuse or manipulate etc.

The Bible has lots to say about parenting and the family – but the situation the Bible describes is very different to the one we have now. The Bible sees the family as an extended unit – aunts and uncles, grandparents, cousins – as well as lots of friends living locally. The West sees the family as two point four children and two married parents, often living miles away from the rest of their family. IMHO, what the Bible describes is the ideal, but given our lifestyles now, that isn’t always possible to achieve.

The Bible has lots to say about homosexuality, but that isn’t really the point of this discussion. The questioner asked is if homosexuals should be allowed to adopt children … If they are suitable parents. From my personal experience – “good enough” parenting has more to do with the attitude of the individual to the role than their sexuality. I’ve seen homosexuals make wonderful parents and hetrosexuals make appalling ones! And the reason for this has more to do with the attitude of the individual to the job / responsibility / whatever than any other reason.

Not sure if that’s secular thinking or not but it is based on practical experience if that helps at all.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

yes, the discussion seems to have wandered off from the question. even if you assume that homosexuality is a sin (and i don't, but thats besides the point), well, aren't we as christians assuming that we're ALL sinners? so why is their sin any worse or any more of a reason to stop them from adopting children? i mean, i certainly HOPE that no one here is going to argue that only christians should be allowed to adopt children....

--------------------

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Nicole - you mean we should allow Others to adopt?

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not sure if that’s secular thinking or not but it is based on practical experience if that helps at all.

And that's fine surely. Don't we believe that God is incarnate in the world and therefore God's holy spirit is at work in 'secular' situations and inspires human beings who care for one another and think rationally and sensitively about how they should live? Som many fundamentalists seem to me to have a very narrow idea of God - one who issues dictats to 'true believers' butwho isn't really involved in guiding the vast majority of human beings.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
asher
Shipmate
# 97

- Posted      Profile for asher   Email asher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite sure I understand the split between sacred and secular thinking...it seems to imply a low doctrine of creation..

But anyway, judging from the experience of friends who have adopted sibling groups it takes very special and very dedicated and very sacrificial people to adopt....the children I have come across have come from bad backgrounds and have a lot of issues...

Any couple - traditional or non-traditional - who are prepared to take on such damaged children, saving them from another 10 years in children's homes, are IMO agents of God's grace (whether they are Christians or not).

Love and peace

Asher

--------------------
If you pick it, it won't get better

Posts: 224 | From: Norwich | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
big g
Apprentice
# 407

- Posted      Profile for big g   Email big g   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
to go against the grain of current thinking which is dominating this thread. I do not agree that homosexual parents are the best to adopt.
some have argued about the situation with a toss up between two gay (btw just to start some more discussion, should what you think your sexaulity is be your identity? ie i don't exactly go around saying "hi i'm big g and i'm a heterosexual"-discuss if you wish) people you wish the best in love for the kid or heterosexua couple who are evil in intention. In reality it wouldn't be a toss up.
I have taken this viewpoint for several reasons. in the bible both in the old testament and new testanment homosexuality is treated as sin. Most applicable for today (so not to get confused with stuff with the law etc) is the NT stuff, in romans 2 or 3 ( i think) Paul described men having men and women having women as shameful. I am not convinced by the theologies that try to twist that and other verses to say homosexuality is ok. Perhaps for once it means what it says! Also in genesis it was adam and eve becoming one, not adam and steve! (sorry to use a cliche!) My view is that the bible points to sex and having children in the ideal situation being for a man and a women, firstly coz it takes a man and woman to have a child, not 2 men or 2 women
Secondly on a more social view, i beleive a child will miss out on the diffrent inputs that come from a father and a mother in his/her childhood if they have two mothers or two fathers. I beleive that a mother will input different things in different ways into a childs life to that which a father will. therefore the ideal situation would be both a father and a mother.

well i better stop, i've said enough to get some heated replies. this is not politically correct is it? quel dommage

in him whose grace is sufficient even for me!
big g

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

quote:
therefore the ideal situation would be both a father and a mother.

But.. given the choice, which is more desirable - two adults around or a fraught single parent?

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

If you take Genesis as your guide to what's normal, big G, what on earth do you make of Tamar dressing as a prostitute to trick her father in law into sex or Lot and his daughters? Or indeed Lot offering his daughters to be gang-raped by the angry crowd in Sodom?

Do you also consider slavery to be normal because Paul thought so? His views on sex are part of the hierachical nature of his society.

The dominaant 1st century view of sex was hierarchical.

The man was seen as active and the woman passive. To Paul, this would mirrors what he would see as a natural order that men are created superior to women.

So by having equal relationships man/man or woman/woman people would be to his mind upsetting this - just as if slaves were to refuse to obey their masters or if Roman citizens were to refuse to obey the emperor.

Now if you don't believe in divinely ordained monarchs or slavery, how do you justify putting aside Paul's world-view of these things as natural?

And if you're happy to put away those parts of Paul's world-view which would circumscribe your liberty and your freedoms, how do you justify retaining only those bits of his hierarchical thinking which devalue other human beings but not yourself?

Doesn't this lead us into danger of behaving like the wicked servant whose Lord forgave his debts but who insisted that the other servants who owed money had to be treated with the utmost severity?

The ancient middle-eastern world made many assumptions about what was natural and what was not. Christ did not command us to behave according to ancient ideas of what was 'natural' he commanded us to love each other.

Gay and Lesbian men and women who adopt children and aim to give them loving homes are as far as I can see carrying out Christ's commandment by doing so.

If Christ thought that the only natural way to show love was to be one man with one woman and have children, then I doubt that he would have spent most of his ministry modelling a celibate lifestyle amongst a close group of same sex friends, and having friendships with unmarried people of the opposite sex - ways of behaving which scandalised his society and which were regarded as very unnatural.

Anyway, that's enough!

Louise

--------------------

Red Kite
Apprentice
# 372

- Posted      Profile for Red Kite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is rather a lot here about adults and God very little about children's needs or research evidence.

There is little evidence that family configuration makes the big difference what matters is flexibility, ability to see things through, positive attitude, child centred attitude.

Some sexually abused children do better with lesbians.

Legally only a married couple or a single person can adopt and Adoption Bill does not address same sex couples adopting - Labour ducks it again.

Posts: 14 | From: Wales | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Great post Louise!

Aye, right!! (Non-ironically)

--------------------

Red Kite
Apprentice
# 372

- Posted      Profile for Red Kite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't bluffing there is more at stake than that ..

r

Posts: 14 | From: Wales | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Sorry Red Kite that appears whenever I answer a post... unlesss I do this [clicks box].

I presume if a same sex couple wish to adopt, they have to each adopt in their own right as their union isn't officially recognised? What a hassle!

I agree absolutely with what you say. Having taught some kids from truly awful backgrounds (two straight parents i might add) I can't see, to use one of Granny's colourful phrases, that it matters a pint o' pee as long as the adult loves the child and wants their best.

I think the original worries often stem from a misplaced association of homosexuality and paedophilia, but DERRRR... Hopefully society is getting beyond such naive thinking... Hopefully...

--------------------

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Oooops! Clicked the wrong box in my hurry...
Bob R
Apprentice
# 322

- Posted      Profile for Bob R   Author's homepage   Email Bob R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK folks I have tried an approach based on natural (as opposed to biblical) thinking and you have pointed out the flaws in those arguments. I accept that there are flaws in my argument but then you would expect that would't you? After all I'm only human.

Now I am going to get heavy. I'm with Dani and one or two others on this one.

This is supposed to be a Christian discussion forum. How we feel or what the world sees as being OK is absolutely nothing to do with this subject, or any other subject that we discuss on this board. The criteria are: -

1) From where do we, as Christians, derive our morality?

2) What is the most authoritative statement that we have of that morality?

3) What does that statement mean?

4)How can that statement be applied to our lives?

ANSWERS
We derive our morality from God.

The Bible is the most authoritative statement that we have of God's will.

The Bible clearly, I say again CLEARLY, identifies homosexuality as a sin that is particularly abhorrent to God. Hence the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

The Bible also clearly states that we were created male and female.

The Bible clearly says that God has given up those who reject His truth "in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped the created things rather than the creator.......Because of this God has given them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchange natural relations for unnatural ones. In the sane way the men also abandoned the natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. (Romans 1:24-27)

You may argue the point but I say that those scriptures (and others that I have not quoted) CLEARLY identify homosexuality as a perversion of God-given human sexuality.

That being said we should therefore take a very serious view of the practice of homosexual behavior and should not condone it under any circumstances. That means that we must not condone the so-called "adoption" of children by homosexual "couples".

We also have a responsibility to deal strictly but compassionately with those afflicted by this aberration in their sexual orientation. Compassion does not mean allowing people to do what they feel like doing, or turning a blind eye to their behaviour or even, God forbid, supporting them in it. What it does mean is helping them to see the error of their ways by gently pointing them to God's word. It means offering them support to change. It means not rejecting them from your company. It means loving them as we would like to be loved if OUR sin was laid bare for all to see.

Yours in Christ.

--------------------
I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken.

Oliver Cromwell in a letter to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, 3 Aug 1650

Posts: 43 | From: Greenock | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm staying out of this discussion in the main, but I think you'll find that the Biblical issues are not quite as clear cut as you think... They never are, I'm afraid...

...If anyone else wants to jump into this particular fire, please feel free...

I'm heading for the hills...

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so tempted to write a long and shouty reply to Bob R, but I'm not going to, as I might get sent to hell.

See - I'm a fairly conservative Christian myself, but I really don't see why one set of sinners is any better or worse than another set of sinners when it comes to giving a loving, stable and financially adequate home to a child who wouldn't otherwise have had one.

And I will just say again - Bob, please be ever so careful how you tackle the issues you're getting into here. People have been badly hurt on these boards by others trying to 'gently' show them what the bible says and particularly by trying to change them. You're not talking to people face to face and intentions can be misunderstood.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

quote:
Hence the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Nope - lack of hospitality. And rape. Look again.

Lending money and charging interest is called 'detestable' in the OT. It is a commandment that adulterers should be put to death.

What is 'natural' as opposed to 'Biblical' thinking? Are we into dualism here?

quote:
This is supposed to be a Christian discussion forum. How we feel or what the world sees as being OK is absolutely nothing to do with this subject, or any other subject that we discuss on this board.

Not only supposed to be, it IS! You are being exposed to people who think differently from you and aren't living by your own .sig...

The abolition of slavery had just a little bit to do with how people felt and what was seen as okay, didn't it?

Now if you've never looked at a woman and fancied her, or felt angry with someone, then yes, by Jesus' criteria you are way ahead of me. I've committed both murder and adultery lots of times!! (Never physically, but then that didn't seem to matter to Jesus!)

But having had emergency laser surgery to both retinas, I have a pretty good idea of how it feels to have a log removed from your eye!

Over to you. But please, be NICE to people! Otherwise they'll never agree with you...

--------------------

rewboss
Shipmate
# 566

- Posted      Profile for rewboss   Author's homepage   Email rewboss   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friend of mine was a very, er, conservative Christian who believed that gay people were, well, bad people, and God hated them.

When she started dating, she had absolutely no desire whatsoever to sleep with the boys she went out with. "Wow, what a good Christian I am," she thought. "Not a lustful thought anywhere in sight. It's so easy.

Then she discovered she was gay.

First she tried to deny her sexuality. That didn't work. Then she tried to deny her faith. That didn't work either. For a long time, she was depressed; she was a living paradox.

Eventually, she took a week off work and prayed very hard indeed. She prayed very hard that God would take charge of the situation and show her what he wanted.

Well, it turned out that God wanted her just the way she was. In that week she rethought much of her theology, but came out of that experience a much, much happier person. Not long after that, she got her first girlfriend.

All of which is a side issue to the main question, which is: Should gays be allowed to adopt?

Well, if they're good parents, why not? There are plenty of heterosexual parents who are the most apalling role models around, why should sexual orientation make a difference?

--------------------
The latest from the world of rewboss

Posts: 1334 | From: Lower Franconia, Germany | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
shadow-lover
Shipmate
# 157

- Posted      Profile for shadow-lover   Email shadow-lover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my two lira's worth...

What I would consider before anything is this: why are said children potentially being adopted by a gay couple being adopted at all?

Children are not given up for adoption lightly.

Which is worse? Being brought up by two gay "sinners" (note: this is not my position on this), or being brought up by two heterosexuals who abuse (rape, torture, e.t.c.) their child? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those sins too?

Being brought up by two gay "sinners", or being brought up by a head of an institution that abuses his/her charges? Again, aren't rape and other forms of abuse sins in the Biblical sense?

I'd go with the two gay people, whether I thought they were sinners because they were gay, or not.

Because, let's face it, all forms of abuse are sins, too, and so in the absolute, Biblical sense, there is no difference, and in the practical sense it would often be a whole lot better for the child.

Even if you think homosexuality is evil and wrong, so are murder, rape, torture, e.t.c., and these will cause physical harm as well. And most likely, an awful lot worse mental and spiritual harm.

So, perhaps the gay couple is not perfect. Is the Church perfect? Are you? First stones, anyone?

If adoption by a gay couple is better than the alternatives, why not?

Is it not the "search for perfection" way of considering people's suitability for adoption what leads to a blind man and his wife, who are loving, kind, caring, e.t.c., being rejected as adopters becuase "the child would miss out on things like playing ball with his father-figure"?

Surely, if the best offer is better than what the child has now...?

I am afraid I have strong feelings on this one, and I can't re-type this post anymore, so I hope it is o.k. ...

The Shadow Lover

--------------------
The Shadow Lover

Nam et si ambulavero in medio umbrae mortis non timebo mala...

Luna
Shipmate
# 2002

- Posted      Profile for Luna   Author's homepage   Email Luna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the rather contrived either/or of abusive heterosexuals vs. loving homosexuals...

I'm of the opinion that such an "alternative" doesn't bear much relevance to the issue at hand, seeing how the pool of available children is usually much smaller than a couple would hope and the bad applicants get weeded out.

More realistic options for the kid in question (assuming he has been so lucky as to survive to birth):

be raised singlehandedly by a biological parent;

be adopted by a single parent (gay or straight);

be adopted by a heterosexual couple;

be adopted by a homosexual couple.

We're assuming the child can't remain with a biological parent. Having never met a single adoptive parent, I don't imagine that scenario is very common. Which leaves us with the heterosexual couple (of which a very small percentage may be abusive) and the homosexual couple (of which a very small percentage may be abusive as well).

All things being equal (eg suitable homes, competent folks), and seeing how it has been established that children raised by homosexuals are just as ab/normal as the rest of us, I would say the only question is whether a child benefits most from having parents of both sexes.

Regardless of the answer (and regardless of the couple), I say two heads are better than one. And a permanent home beats foster care anyday.

So I guess my reply is - Sure, why not?

--------------------
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Visit my blog!

Posts: 107 | From: UC Berkeley, California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016