homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Living as a Christian Homosexual (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Living as a Christian Homosexual
Paul Careau
Shipmate
# 2904

- Posted      Profile for Paul Careau         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who are interested, this link provides an insight into what Gay Pride is really all about as far as most people who attend it are concerned. Its a personal account by a young lesbian called Joanna:

http://www.advocate.com/html/stories/919/919_basile.asp

I think Pride is an ideally antidote to the negativity that many are forced to experience - either from society in general or, as in Joanna's experience from her Catholic upbringing.

I shall certainly attend one or two more Pride events this year. And I intend to be IN DRAG as well. If it annoys people like Young Foegy then so much the better in my opinion. People like him only have themselves to blame if Gay Pride events upset them. [Razz]

On a more serious point, I'd point out that the Advocate website did a poll recently about whether or not gay/lesbian folks had abandoned the faith they'd been raised in. Over 1000 people answered & the last I saw 76% said they had abandoned the faith they'd been raised with. That should ring some serious alarm bells in many churches - but somehow I feel that many of them will continue to burry their heads in the sand and persist in behaving disgracefully towards LGB Christians. Maybe what western society needs is a wholesale deconstruction of organised religion. Who knows.

--------------------
Bye for now. Paul.

Posts: 92 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God bless the 24%,though. When I talk to gay people who have suffered al kinds of insults and remained faithful, it really does make me appreciate my own faith more.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Paul

quote:
Maybe what western society needs is a wholesale deconstruction of organised religion.
What is needful in my opinion is a much better understanding in the general population of science, sociobiology and psychology. Many people still relate to their past-its-sell-by-date faith as an ersatz science. It's so much easier than really finding out about stuff. I'm not one though to reduce human identity and behaviour to mere chemicals. The historical inability of much of science to move off its dry, reductionist automatism is just as much a problem as any closed minded religious bigotry.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Young fogey:
As I like to say, there's no such thing as the gay community. Maybe they're just people. I have friends who are homosexual (believe it or not), both practising and chaste, and none primarily define themselves by that aspect. They're better rounded as people.

Perhaps that could have been the answer for the poor boy who killed himself. You're more than an orientation.

Bobby Griffiths was a person who was certainly more than his sexual orientation, as I see it he killed himself because people couldn't see beyond his sexuality to the person that he was. This wasn't his failing but that of those who couldn't show him acceptance and respect.

I don't often visit DH to be honest but have been reading this thread in amasement at times, the above note being the one I felt the need to respond to most.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suze

I know what you are saying but I think we need to raise the standard a bit. It's not: "We love you even though you're gay," (seeing "beyond" that), but rather: "We love you as a gay person." (I know that you were not saying "even" ... but some do).

None of us (gay or straight) needs to wear our sexuality on our sleeve but neither should any of us have to have that play second fiddle. Our sexuality is an important aspect of who we are and needs to be fully integrated in our lives to enrich these for ourselves and others ... it is not the only aspect of course, but an important one nonetheless.

[ 25. July 2004, 13:52: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure I expressed myself particularly well Father Gregory, I think sexuality is an inherant part of someone's make up so don't think it should ever be a case of "I love you even though you're gay", I think it needs to be "I love you because you are a precious child of God and your sexuality is one of the many things that make you the person that you are".

I didn't mean to suggest a tolerance of sexuality but can understand how you would have thought that from my previous post. I suppose I would want to see an acceptance of the person with sexuality being no more of an issue than hair colour, eye colour or any other feature. IMO it's lacking that kind of acceptance that drives folk to take drastic measures.

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

I agree Suze with your elucidation. I knew that's how you meant it, hence the caveat in my original post. I was just clarifying. Thanks.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

No problem, thought it might be worth making myself clearer though.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

- Posted      Profile for ChristinaMarie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
The historical inability of much of science to move off its dry, reductionist automatism is just as much a problem as any closed minded religious bigotry.

I've often thought that certain scientists who promote this, by ridiculing any alternatives, are rather like the 'dogmatic Priests' they so readily despise. They come across to me as promoting their reductionist views as the New Religion, and woe betide anyone who disagrees.

One Biologist, Dr Rupert Sheldrake, has written a book about a new theory which involves consciousness with evolution. Another Biologist stated that the book should be burned!

Christina

Posts: 2333 | From: Oldham | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For your info..... My denomination (the Uniting Church in Australia) has been wrestling with related issues for many years now. The latest documentation was released this week, and you can find it here on-line.
Just thought you might find it interesting.
Who knows what the future will bring?

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Young fogey:
As I like to say, there's no such thing as the gay community.

Young fogey, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the scepticism of a sceptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Young fogey, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Young fogey, there is a gay community. We exist as certainly as show tunes and "Queer Eye" and leather exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Well, okay, maybe not yours, but some of us anyway. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no gay community! It would be as dreary as if there were no Young fogeys. There would be no Broadway then, no interior design, no dance remixes, no leather bars to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in that which is not fabulous. The external light with which gayness fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in the gay community! You might as well not believe in fairies. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that we were not there. Just last night, in fact. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

No gay community! Thank God! we live and live forever. A thousand years from now, Young fogey, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, we will continue to make fabulous the heart of culture.

David [Biased]
very happy and proud member of this mythical gay community/"Yes, Virginia" is public domain, of course

[ 30. July 2004, 16:42: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Yes, Young fogey, there is a gay community. ...

But they don't have an agenda. [Smile]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
But they don't have an agenda. [Smile]

Sure we do. And here it is! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Young fogey
Shipmate
# 5317

- Posted      Profile for Young fogey   Author's homepage   Email Young fogey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Young fogey, your little friends are wrong...

Yes, Young fogey, there is a gay community.

[Killing me]

--------------------
A conservative blog for peace

Paul Careau
Shipmate
# 2904

- Posted      Profile for Paul Careau         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you imagine that denying the existence of an entire community will achieve Young Fogey? Apart from making you look stupid that is?

If I went around saying "there is no such thing as the black community" or "there is no such thing as the Muslim community" that achieves nothing more than to entirely alienate myself from that community and everyone within it.

But, then again, it seems to me that that is exactly what you want - isn't it. You want absolute seperation of your church from the gay community. You don't want that community or its members to have anything at all to do with your church when it comes down to it. You want the gay community to simply go away so that you don't have to be bothered by such inconvenient elements of humanity.

Personally, I learnt at junior school that the old "if I can't see you, therefore you can't see me" trick didn't work.

Pretending something doesn't exist won't ever make it go away. It just makes you and potentially your church (if it supports you) -isolationist. It is a step in a process that will ultimately lead to your church cutting itself off from mainstream society entirely. Then you no longer have a mainstream religion at all - you have a fringe cult. Is that the way you wish to go?

--------------------
Bye for now. Paul.

Posts: 92 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Young fogey
Shipmate
# 5317

- Posted      Profile for Young fogey   Author's homepage   Email Young fogey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My point, Paul, is that it's silly to pigeonhole all homosexuals into one happy-clappy, Pride Parade, rainbow-flag waving 'community'.

People who are homosexual are more diverse and interesting than that.

They include those who try to live according to the Catholic faith and those who don't, and many other variations besides.

I dare say the homosexuals I know (out or not, none of whom would be caught dead in a 'gay' parish) agree with this assessment.

So rather than trying to dehumanise homosexuals, 'there is no such thing as the gay community' says the opposite.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because a community is diverse doesn't mean it's not a community.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Young fogey
Shipmate
# 5317

An analogy: a friend who happens to be a woman resents the hell out of feminists who claim to speak for her, on behalf of womankind, etc. Like Dorothy Sayers, a fine Catholic lady (paraphrase): 'don't bother me with whether women plural should go to university; I want to'.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bad analogy, as women are just over half the population.
Young fogey
Shipmate
# 5317

quote:
Bad analogy, as women are just over half the population.
I don't follow: surely you don't mean that because homosexuals are a much smaller part of the population that they can and should be pigeonholed as a 'community'?

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

There are gay men and lesbians who have no interest in having a public part in the gay community, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There is a large gay community in the city where I live, and the people who count themselves as part of it would not appreciate your saying that their community is non-existent.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Whether or not all gay people consider themselves part of the gay community, it does exist as a culture, or subculture if you prefer. There is some debate about its nature, and how diverse it is, and who is in it, I agree, but it does exist.

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it is official - one may no longer be a Christian homosexual in the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand. From the Assembly press release this morning:

quote:
63 percent of those voting at Assembly ruled that the church would not accept for training, license, ordination or induction, anyone involved in a sexual relationship outside the faithful marriage between a man and woman; they voted to make the ruling effective immediately.

Assembly, however, declined to make the ruling retrospective, ensuring that ministers who are practicing homosexuals may continue in ministry in their current positions.

Let's not even think about the lay people affected by the decision, or the parents of gay and lesbian people. The church line is that this is a good move since it means the debate which has been crippling the church will stop taking up so much space - it was even said that now the evangelical wing could start growing, having been put off by the notion that gay people were acceptable.

Some days you wonder why you even engage at all. I live my life faithfully and honestly and work hard to try and make life better for as many people as I can. I do this because I believe it is necessary, and because I believe God asks it of us.

But some of the rhetoric coming out of Assembly has simply stated that I am not a full human, let alone worthy to be a Christian. One quote was along the lines of "I don't believe any homosexual could display the fruits of the Spirit - it just isn't possible." To be homosexual is, without qualification, to be a bad person - it doesn't matter about the good I do, its an ontological thing, apparently.

Isn't it just as well that God hasn't told me anything of the kind?

Very depressed in Wellington.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

- Posted      Profile for ChristinaMarie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are in good company Arabella. He was despised and rejected by men too.

You have nothing to prove. You know God loves you and is with you.

Jesus not only didn't sin at all, he did all the things he did, plus miracles, including raising the dead in front of many witnesses, and was accused of having power from Satan, by certain religious folks.

Love
Christina

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arabella [Votive]

I think Christina has said all that I wanted to say, only far better.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that gets me about this kind of thinking is that all but homosexuals seem to be saved by grace, and are repeatedly offered continued grace even as they sin, and struggle, and improve their way through life. Even positing that monogamous, homosexual behavior is sinful (a view I don't espouse) is changing one's behavior going to save a person or is it a matter of trust and a personal relationship with God? If people are driven away from God, isn't this worse than than ceasing to sin in a certain way, something that all of us do whether sinning in lack of charity, hurtful, angry outbursts, holding grudges, or treating people as objects?

Let any without sin throw the first stone -or eighty-six sincere believers from church.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
Well, it is official - one may no longer be a Christian homosexual in the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand. From the Assembly press release this morning:

quote:
63 percent of those voting at Assembly ruled that the church would not accept for training, license, ordination or induction, anyone involved in a sexual relationship outside the faithful marriage between a man and woman; they voted to make the ruling effective immediately.

Assembly, however, declined to make the ruling retrospective, ensuring that ministers who are practicing homosexuals may continue in ministry in their current positions.

This seems pretty unremarkable to me but I'm sorry it was relayed to you with hurtful rhetoric. Does this represent a change in the policy of the Presbyterian Church or merely a restatement of its traditional view and that of just about every single church in the world? In my view the church would cease to be a church if it allowed the ordination of those in non-marital sexual relationships against the clear teaching of the Bible.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might have a little more credibility on that one if it would let people like Arabella marry their life partners.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
This seems pretty unremarkable to me but I'm sorry it was relayed to you with hurtful rhetoric. Does this represent a change in the policy of the Presbyterian Church or merely a restatement of its traditional view and that of just about every single church in the world?

I suppose the idea of your church saying somone's gifts and ministry aren't valued by it is only remarkable when it applies to you (generic you rather than you personally).

The fact that it isn't being applied retrospectively, meaning current ministers in homosexual relationships can continue in their roles, suggests to me it is a either a change in policy or re-emphasis of one which had been allowed to lapse. In either case it's Not A Good Thing for those affected, either those now being excluded from ministry and those they would have ministered to, nor for the wider church. [Disappointed]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

*hugs* Arabella

[Votive]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quoth Lyda:

quote:
...is changing one's behavior going to save a person or is it a matter of trust and a personal relationship with God?
(stands up and cheers)

"Homosexuals can't bear fruits of the Spirit" [Mad] Man, people are blind, blind, blind.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What gets to me is that the only reason existing gay and lesbian ministers are allowed to continue is that the church would be slapped with huge employment law cases which would probably bankrupt the church, since the ministers in question would have a pretty good chance of suing for lifetime loss of earnings. Such principled thinking on the part of the church!

Either we're all beyond redemption or none of us are, surely.

And no, Spawn, the whole point of this debate was that the church had no doctrine on the issue. If this decision is agreed by parishes over the next two years, then it will become doctrine, and the Presbyerian church in NZ will become yet another conservative sect. Kind of sad, since back in 1984 the Presbyterians were the only mainline church to wholeheartedly support the Homosexual Law Reform Act. Progress seems to mean stepping back some 30 years.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In my view the church would cease to be a church if it allowed the ordination of those in non-marital sexual relationships against the clear teaching of the Bible.

Donatist heresy.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
It might have a little more credibility on that one if it would let people like Arabella marry their life partners.

[Overused] Bravo, Karl.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
quote:
In my view the church would cease to be a church if it allowed the ordination of those in non-marital sexual relationships against the clear teaching of the Bible.

Donatist heresy.
Given that the church has most certainly ordained any number of people in non-marital sexual relationships over the centuries, where would that leave it if Spawn were correct? Wouldn't it have ceased being a church when it first ordained a guy who was already in a sexual relationship who kept right on having sex with her/him?
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The C of E is certainly stuffed. If the matter is as heinous as Spawn suggests then I cannot see how it is improved by the fact that clergy and bishops routinely fib about it.

I confess myself intrigued by this particular line of argument. The Church has certainly ordained and consecrated pluralists, simoniacs, nepotists, racists, anti-semites and persecutors to its orders. I would have thought that there was fairly clear Biblical warrant for deploring all of these particular sins. I am unable to see, for example, why the ordination of a pathological Jew-hater leaves the Church in the clear whilst the ordination of someone as patently decent, thoughtful and Christian as Arabella is an abomination not to be borne among Christian people.

Roman Catholic moral theology defines some acts as being "intrinsically morally evil". Now, whatever one makes of RC moral theology, this seems to me to be a fairly useful category. Some things are, by definition, entirely wrong. It has never been made clear to me why homosexuality falls emphatically into this category, (outside RC theology, of course, which condemns all non-procreative sexual acts) except through reference to scripture or tradition. Now I hope I have a reasonably high view of scripture and tradition but this is, quite simply, not enough. It was reported in the Times last week that the dissident parishes in ECUSA have started calling themselves the Confessing Church. I confess to finding this incomprehensible. National Socialism clearly was an intrinsic moral evil. One could establish this by looking at it. I cannot, for the life of me, see that this is applicable to homosexuality.

I think that the schism in our ranks hinges on two differing views of ethics. Those of us who hold 'liberal' views think that the licitness or otherwise of an act inheres, as it were, within the act. To condemn an action it is necessary to point to the act and delineate those features within it which are inconsistent with the moral law. This is clearly an empiricist view of ethics, but not necessarily consequentialist. Bashing an old lady over the head and pinching her handbag, for example, cannot be justified by the intention of giving the loot to charity. The other, conservative, view sees morality as being extrinsic to the act. The love and commitment manifested in a same-sex relationship are, to the conservative, at worst, special pleading, at best, mitigation. Authority (i.e. scripture and tradition) has condemned the act and, therefore, it is wrong. It's wrongness is established not through reference to the act but to the authority.

This I think, accounts for the vehemence of our differences. Like Sidney Smith's fishwives, we are arguing from different premises. The frustration is engendered because we are talking about different things. This is, the old empiricist-rationalist divide in philosophy writ large. The conservatives are seeking to defend an authority, in abstracto, the liberals are seeking to reinterpret authority in the light of experience. Hence, I think, Spawn's comments. (He will doubtless correct me!) Hence, too, I think the conservative belief that liberals are unprincipled and the liberal belief that conservatives are heartless.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan - as so often, [Overused] [Overused]
Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
quote:

Donatist heresy.
Perhaps Wolfhart Pannenberg is guilty of the Donatist heresy as well. If so I'm in good company.
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Originally posted by Callan.:
The C of E is certainly stuffed. If the matter is as heinous as Spawn suggests then I cannot see how it is improved by the fact that clergy and bishops routinely fib about it.

I confess myself intrigued by this particular line of argument. The Church has certainly ordained and consecrated pluralists, simoniacs, nepotists, racists, anti-semites and persecutors to its orders. I would have thought that there was fairly clear Biblical warrant for deploring all of these particular sins. I am unable to see, for example, why the ordination of a pathological Jew-hater leaves the Church in the clear whilst the ordination of someone as patently decent, thoughtful and Christian as Arabella is an abomination not to be borne among Christian people.

This is not about individuals, it is not about making pastoral exceptions, it is when the Church changes its teaching and turns its back on the Word on which it is founded. The acquiescence of the Church under National Socialism and especially of the Dutch Reformed Church under Apartheid in which church teaching undergirded the system are examples of a church abandoning its vocation and failing to stand its ground as the Catholic and Apostolic Church. I agree that the latter two examples are far more heinous on one level than what might be seen purely as the extension of civil rights to homosexuals. You can't pick and choose. The acceptance of parity between homosexual sexual relationships and marriage involves the Church in disobedience - pure and simple.

quote:
Roman Catholic moral theology defines some acts as being "intrinsically morally evil". Now, whatever one makes of RC moral theology, this seems to me to be a fairly useful category. Some things are, by definition, entirely wrong. It has never been made clear to me why homosexuality falls emphatically into this category, (outside RC theology, of course, which condemns all non-procreative sexual acts) except through reference to scripture or tradition. Now I hope I have a reasonably high view of scripture and tradition but this is, quite simply, not enough. It was reported in the Times last week that the dissident parishes in ECUSA have started calling themselves the Confessing Church. I confess to finding this incomprehensible. National Socialism clearly was an intrinsic moral evil. One could establish this by looking at it. I cannot, for the life of me, see that this is applicable to homosexuality.
No they have not started calling themselves the 'Confessing Church'. I suggest you go to Simon Sarmiento's blog and scroll down to find links on the Archbishop of Canterbury's role in naming the network.

quote:
I think that the schism in our ranks hinges on two differing views of ethics. Those of us who hold 'liberal' views think that the licitness or otherwise of an act inheres, as it were, within the act. To condemn an action it is necessary to point to the act and delineate those features within it which are inconsistent with the moral law. This is clearly an empiricist view of ethics, but not necessarily consequentialist. Bashing an old lady over the head and pinching her handbag, for example, cannot be justified by the intention of giving the loot to charity. The other, conservative, view sees morality as being extrinsic to the act. The love and commitment manifested in a same-sex relationship are, to the conservative, at worst, special pleading, at best, mitigation. Authority (i.e. scripture and tradition) has condemned the act and, therefore, it is wrong. It's wrongness is established not through reference to the act but to the authority.

This I think, accounts for the vehemence of our differences. Like Sidney Smith's fishwives, we are arguing from different premises. The frustration is engendered because we are talking about different things. This is, the old empiricist-rationalist divide in philosophy writ large. The conservatives are seeking to defend an authority, in abstracto, the liberals are seeking to reinterpret authority in the light of experience. Hence, I think, Spawn's comments. (He will doubtless correct me!) Hence, too, I think the conservative belief that liberals are unprincipled and the liberal belief that conservatives are heartless.

As a description this is pretty fair. I think fundamentally it comes down to two views of the Bible, as well as two views of ethics. Your use of the phrase 'conservatives are seeking to defend' I think is misleading. There is no need to defend. It might be more helpful to say that conservatives are seeking to interpret authority
in the light of tradition, while liberals are seeking to reinterpret authority in the light of experience (although I don't think this will wholly do either).

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

Unforunately I got the blog wrong. Here it is again.
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan.:

At least the Church can say it hasn't announced simony is okay. More to the point would be that the church has decided divorce is okay,* and in so doing, has officially turned its back on the very clear teaching of Jesus, the apostles and tradition in officially allowing divorced persons to become and/or remain priests and bishops. The church didn't end when this happened. I fail to see how "turning its back" on the clear teachings of ... well, not Jesus. Um, the clear teachings of ... the OT plus Paul (assuming the translations are correct) plus church tradition on homosexuality is going to topple the church.

(I know Spawn isn't advocating that divorce ought to have been allowed, but he hasn't pushed for schism on the issue either)

*I don't want to hear that the church doesn't think divorce is okay. If divorce were really being treated as the sin that Jesus is clear that it is, then no divorced person could ever be ordained -- it would set a very bad example to ordain a flagrant mortal sinner to such an elevated position.

[ 28. September 2004, 17:00: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

I don't think divorce is the issue, but remarriage of divorcees, which is described by Jesus as adultery.

I can't think of any condemnation of a person who is divorced who remains celibate, can you?

Christina

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

The ordination of all manner of sinners does not of itself change the church's teaching. The ordination of practising homosexuals on 'don't ask, don't tell' policy doesn't either (although I don't approve of such policies). But the matter of the ordination of a male bishop who lives with a partner outside marriage does force the issue of the church's teaching, as does a Synodical decision on same sex blessings. I think the divorce and remarriage of bishops and clergy falls in the same category - although I would add to this that the church's pastoral response to remarried divorcees, as to homosexuals should err on the side of loving-kindness.

quote:
At least the Church can say it hasn't announced simony is okay. More to the point would be that the church has decided divorce is okay,* and in so doing, has officially turned its back on the very clear teaching of Jesus, the apostles and tradition in officially allowing divorced persons to become and/or remain priests and bishops. The church didn't end when this happened. I fail to see how "turning its back" on the clear teachings of ... well, not Jesus. Um, the clear teachings of ... the OT plus Paul (assuming the translations are correct) plus church tradition on homosexuality is going to topple the church.

(I know Spawn isn't advocating that divorce ought to have been allowed, but he hasn't pushed for schism on the issue either)

*I don't want to hear that the church doesn't think divorce is okay. If divorce were really being treated as the sin that Jesus is clear that it is, then no divorced person could ever be ordained -- it would set a very bad example to ordain a flagrant mortal sinner to such an elevated position.

I think you are right that the Episcopal Church of the USA has come very close, if not gone the whole way to suggesting that divorce is okay. This letter from Bishop Frank Gray spells out clearly some of the concerns.

On the other hand, I don't know anyone in the Church who actually says that divorce is a good thing. It is justified sometimes on the level of the lesser of two evils. Furthermore, divorce doesn't normally tend to reoccur: for there to be a proper analogy divorce would have to be serial.

Many are divorced against their will and it is on these kinds of grounds that the blessing of remarriages in Church can be considered. On the issue of divorce, although Jesus is entirely clear, there is a strand within the Bible which allows a little more exploration. For example, Matthew and Paul both allow for exceptions. I simply can't see how any leeway or permission is given within the Bible for a re-exploration of the issue of homosexuality.

Finally, I'm not as you say, pushing for schism, but it is clear that a break in relationship occurs when one church pushes through a change (despite repeated warnings that the change would tear the fabric of the communion) against the will of other parts.

[ 29. September 2004, 08:36: Message edited by: Spawn ]

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear Spawn

quote:
Finally, I'm not as you say, pushing for schism, but it is clear that a break in relationship occurs when one church pushes through a change (despite repeated warnings that the change would tear the fabric of the communion) against the will of other parts.
You mean like with the ordination of women? That, presumably, was OK. On what grounds can we have consistency here in the Anglican Communion today?

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr Gregory

Out of interest, does the Orthodox church ordain women, gays or divorcees?

C

--------------------
arse

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
Dear Spawn

quote:
You mean like with the ordination of women? That, presumably, was OK. On what grounds can we have consistency here in the Anglican Communion today?
Totally agree. The Anglican Church has to have a huge amount of humility about the ordination of women, after all, the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church still do not ordain women to the priesthood. The Anglican Church adopted the idea of reception on this issue, allowing some provinces to move ahead with the ordination of women. I happen to believe that women's ordination is warranted from the Bible, but I am not going to disenfranchise Anglicans who do not agree with me. The fact is that we didn't follow the counsel of the vast majority of Christians on this issue, which is why to some extent the guilt for the state of impaired communion that currently arises out of women's ordination must also lie with those who supported change.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
The fact is that we didn't follow the counsel of the vast majority of Christians on this issue, which is why to some extent the guilt for the state of impaired communion that currently arises out of women's ordination must also lie with those who supported change.

Were we seriously moving toward greater communion with the RC and Orthodox churches before that?

--------------------

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
The fact is that we didn't follow the counsel of the vast majority of Christians on this issue, which is why to some extent the guilt for the state of impaired communion that currently arises out of women's ordination must also lie with those who supported change.

Were we seriously moving toward greater communion with the RC and Orthodox churches before that?
The simple answer is yes. There were still obstacles and there was in particular a very negative response to the first Arcic report from the Vatican in 1991 (I believe) but it must be added that the Pope significantly gave ecumenism a huge boost with Ut Unum Sint later in the decade.
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The ordination of all manner of sinners does not of itself change the church's teaching. The ordination of practising homosexuals on 'don't ask, don't tell' policy doesn't either (although I don't approve of such policies). But the matter of the ordination of a male bishop who lives with a partner outside marriage does force the issue of the church's teaching, as does a Synodical decision on same sex blessings. I think the divorce and remarriage of bishops and clergy falls in the same category - although I would add to this that the church's pastoral response to remarried divorcees, as to homosexuals should err on the side of loving-kindness.

quote:

I think you are right that the Episcopal Church of the USA has come very close, if not gone the whole way to suggesting that divorce is okay. This letter from Bishop Frank Gray spells out clearly some of the concerns.

On the other hand, I don't know anyone in the Church who actually says that divorce is a good thing. It is justified sometimes on the level of the lesser of two evils. Furthermore, divorce doesn't normally tend to reoccur: for there to be a proper analogy divorce would have to be serial.

Many are divorced against their will and it is on these kinds of grounds that the blessing of remarriages in Church can be considered. On the issue of divorce, although Jesus is entirely clear, there is a strand within the Bible which allows a little more exploration. For example, Matthew and Paul both allow for exceptions. I simply can't see how any leeway or permission is given within the Bible for a re-exploration of the issue of homosexuality.

So,does it make it better that the change in question was entirely contrary to scripture, yet everyone kind of went along with it? I find this the most extraordinary thing. What "strands" accept divorce -- are you referring to the OT acceptance thereof? Jesus explicitly rejected this. Our Lord Himself said that he who divorces and remarries (and only Matthew adds that bit about fornication) (and some people think he was garnishing Mark for liberalization purposes) is an adulterer and his new spouse is an adulteress. Wow! That's really clear. So Paul takes the edge off? How so?

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

And thank you for the letter of the Assistant Bishop of VA. I'm familiar with his record as a good and honorable person, and read his letter with grief.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016