homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What homos do in bed (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What homos do in bed
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
However, many (I suspect most) gay people have never been attracted to a member of the opposite sex and many (most?) straight people have never been attracted to a member of the same sex.

A large percentage of the lesbians I know have previously been married or in long term heterosexual relationships, including my own partner. My circle of gay male friends are more lifetime gay, but even there I have, off the top of my head, at least three who have been married and have children from those marriages. I also have lesbian/gay friends who have gone in the other direction and started having relationships with opposite sex partners.

My general understanding, based on just looking around me as I go about my work, suggests that sexuality is very fluid. What fixes it in place is finding that particular person who makes it right. It is generally more comfortable to stick with what you know.

That said, I've never had the least attraction towards a man!

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Well, there's that bit where David mourns Jonathan, saying "Your love for me was wonderful/surpassing the love of women." And they sure kiss a lot for straight guys.

Ross

I understand that in many Middle Eastern countries men tend to be more physically affectionate with their friends than they are in Anglo places. That doesn't necessarily mean there's no sexual component to such friendships, of course, but we don't have anything which states that explicitly in the text.

Reading the passage through an uptight WASP mindset, of course it seems as though the two might have been lovers. But I'm not certain that's what the text actually says ; and in any case, the OT is full of misbehavior presented in a deadpan manner which doesn't telegraph the author's feelings about what he's reporting.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
APB,
Fair enough! Being still in my twenties, all my gay friends have always been gay, so that probably influences my point of view. Really I was just objecting to the implied point of view that we all choose to be gay and so being gay can be a sin.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
APB,
Fair enough! Being still in my twenties, all my gay friends have always been gay, so that probably influences my point of view. Really I was just objecting to the implied point of view that we all choose to be gay and so being gay can be a sin.

With due respect, Gwai, I don't think that's what I said, much less what I meant!

As to whether "being gay" is a matter of choice or not, I suppose there needs to be unanimous agreement as to what "being gay" is--i.e. whether it's ontological, social, or simply expressive of behavior. I tend to think Foucault is correct when he speaks of sexuality as a social construct; more than anything, it appears to me a mechanism whereby the deviant behavior of others is isolated so that one doesn't become contaminated (i.e. I am a heterosexual, therefore not homosexual and not in danger of doing those icky things/having those icky things done to me that homosexuals do, and therefore my gender identity is unquestionable). I think traditional Christianity is right to concentrate, not on orientation (which is changeable, like so much in human nature), but on behavior. So "being gay" (whatever that might mean) is not a sin, but specific sexual acts are prohibited.

Whether this needs to be such a hot-button issue is another question. I find the inability of TEC's HOB to endorse the Nicene Creed much more shocking than other people's sex lives.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When did the HOB not endorse the Nicene Creed?

I know that at the last GC they voted down a statement on an inerrant Bible and substitutionary atonement, but I can't find anything on the Nicene Creed, even on conservative blogs.

Given that the 1979 Book of Common Prayer is the official doctrine and practice of the TEC and it was endorsed by the HOB when authorized, the contents of the BCP, including the Nicene Creed are already endorsed.

Can you point me to what you are talking about?

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post.

So "being gay" (whatever that might mean) is not a sin, but specific sexual acts are prohibited.

But the acts are in the context of a relationship and one of many expressions of the deepest love I show for another person.

It's not just an act like taking a dump on the toilet, isolated from our emotional, relational and psychological makeup, but is a physical expression of our deepest feeling toward someone we love. It is one of many ways I express that love for my spouse.

The artificial distinction between orientation and acts completely misses the fact that gay people are, first and foremost, people. Fully human beings, no different than anyone else.

We have the same range of behaviours and feelings as everyone else. Some people are able to manage lifetime celibacy, which according to Paul is a calling, but most of us aren't made that way.

Father Tobias has written some essays that further explore this here: In a Godward Direction

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Sex Articles" are, to my view, the definitive work on the morality of same-sex relationships in a Christian context, and I find it quite telling that no work of comparable stature has been produced for the opposing argument.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
APB,

With due respect, Gwai, I don't think that's what I said, much less what I meant!

Fr Weber, just thought I'd point out that Gwai was not responding to your comments here, but to those from Arabella who posted above you. (denoted by using a form of Arabella's initials at the beginning of her post). Knowing this may help you to be less confused about where Gwai was coming from.

(by the way I agree with Arabella's analysis. No big surprise to some of you! [Biased] )

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
"The Sex Articles" are, to my view, the definitive work...

Have you got a link LQ?
Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's in ToujoursDan's post immediately above mine.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
It's in ToujoursDan's post immediately above mine.

Thanks - I thought you meant that, but didn't see the series title (down the rightside of the site).
Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reported in the SMH.

Praps it will quieten the furore over the chaps in the UK? Wasn't sure what thread to post this to, but chose here... homos: not just doing it in bed - but also in the registry office!!

I am having an extremely fulfilled and joyous celibate life, but all this talk of prohibited specific sex acts makes me want to meet someone so I can... have something that I'm not allowed to do.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016