homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Here We Go Again (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Here We Go Again
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, which means that five out of six New England states legally recognize same-sex couples, either as married (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and now Maine) or as marriage-lite civil unions (New Hampshire, which is looking at full marriage equality even now).

So, what's holding back Rhode Island?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The governor is a Republican who opposes gay marriage and the state is heavily Catholic. But it is inevitable, even there, as the young are for it. It's just a question of time. The reason the campaign was "6 by 12" is that the governor of RI is out of office in 2011, at which point the chances will be much better.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the New Hampshire bill has passed too, although yet to be signed by the governor.

Rather interesting that the New Hampshire bill, in the form that it passed, actually recognises a distinction between religious marriage and civil marriage.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Well the New Hampshire bill has passed too, although yet to be signed by the governor.

Rather interesting that the New Hampshire bill, in the form that it passed, actually recognises a distinction between religious marriage and civil marriage.

That's been standard for a while, insofar as one has legal force and the other (by itself) doesn't.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

That's been standard for a while, insofar as one has legal force and the other (by itself) doesn't.
The emphasis being on 'by itself'.

I haven't read the NH bill, but there was obviously something noteworthy about the way it was amended to make an explicit distinction.

I realise it may in fact be essentially a SYMBOLIC gesture, but the NH Senate still thought it was worth making.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was reported (in a rather understated way) that when the same-sex marriages began in Iowa, no one showed up to protest. This was apparently a surprise to the national media, but would not be to anyone who had spent much time in Iowa (I spent four years there). Iowans have opinions about things, but getting along with your neighbors generally rates higher than self-righteousness.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

The latest ad from NOM (the "Big Gay Storm" people) is now available. Apparently the New Jersey based organization objects to a bunch of out-of-state money being used to influence the New Hampshire state legislature.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

And New Hampshire will move from civil unions to full marriage rights, if this NYT story is correct. Way to go, Granite State!

--------------------

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Iowans have opinions about things, but getting along with your neighbors generally rates higher than self-righteousness.

Would it were true that as goes Iowa, so goes the nation.

[ 15. May 2009, 22:51: Message edited by: Choirboy ]

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

And New Hampshire makes it six, joining Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, and Maine in the "allows same-sex marriage" category.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

California is once again wrestling with this issue, this time over the question of recognizing same-sex marriages from performed in other jurisdictions.

quote:
A proposed law to recognize a growing number of same-sex marriages performed in other states and countries is winding its way through California's Legislature.

Opponents of gay marriage say Senate Bill 54 violates Proposition 8, a voter initiative approved last November that amended the state constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

The bill's sponsor contends that his proposed changes to state family law are consistent with the California Supreme Court's nuanced decision in May to uphold Proposition 8.

<snip>

Leno's bill would declare that any same-sex marriages performed in other jurisdictions before Proposition 8 be recognized on par with marriages that took place in California.

Same-sex couples married in other jurisdictions after Proposition 8 was approved would be afforded the same legal rights that marriage gives them here, but they could not use the word "marriage" to refer to their legal relationship.

This seems like a not-unimportant question to answer for a state that could use some tourism dollars. Can same-sex couples vacationing in California expect to have trouble should one of them be hospitalized or run into other legal trouble?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely not, as long as they don't use the word "marriage". [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Even New England's frozen dairy desserts are becoming more gay friendly.

--------------------

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macx:
quote:
So I'm to assume that people who have "no" religion (=at least 16% of the population at the last census) shouldn't be allowed to marry?
Why would people who have no religion wish to marry? Wouldn't you just live with your partner and let that be that? Isn't it kind of a lie to be all "I'm not religious" and then turn around, dress up and ask a religious offical to perform a religious ceremony? Guess hypocrisy isn't limited to Christians.

The state has every right to be involved in marriage, and it's got nothing to do with religion at all. In an ideal world (ideal as I see it, anyway [Smile] ) the state would have no involvement in the religious aspects of marriage at all -- marriage would be purely a legal arrangement.

The state has a right -- I would say a duty -- to be involved in marriage, in this legal sense, because the majority of couples who live together give little thought to what will happen if a relationship breaks down, or one of the partners dies (and one or other of those things will happen in every case).

In the UK (and probably everywhere else) the state provides a set of default arrangements for such matters as distribution of property on death or separation, care of children, powers of attorney, and many other things. All of these arrangements can (in the UK, anyway) be overruled by the partners themselves by specific arrangements. But the state defaults provide a default set of arrangements that work tolerably well in most cases -- far better than nothing, anyway.

In short, the state would not have to be involved in marriage (in the legal sense) if couples who entered into a relationship made specific and detailed plans for its ending. But it isn't at all human nature to do that.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Meanwhile, back in California:

quote:
Schwarzenegger Signs Gay Rights Bills

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed two gay rights bills, one honoring late activist Harvey Milk and another recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states.

<snip>

Leno's SB 54, meanwhile, requires California to recognize marriages performed in other states where same sex marriage is legal.

In a signing message, Schwarzenegger said California will not recognize the couples as married but will "provide the same legal protections that would otherwise be available to couples that enter into civil unions or domestic partnerships out-of-state. In short, this measure honors the will of the People in enacting Proposition 8 while providing important protections to those unions legally entered into in other states."

So California won't recognize same-sex marriages, unless they were performed in that brief window between the Supreme Court decision and the passage of Proposition 8, but will recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages as valid so long as they're not called "marriage" but treated as civil unions. How many legal knots and will California have to tie itself in because of that stupid amendment?

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reserecting this thread from the depths to say that I read today that Mexico is now allows gay marriage.

Mexico.

And most states in the US don't.

We Americans should be ashamed of ourselves.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Even New England's frozen dairy desserts are becoming more gay friendly.

Brilliant!

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
Reserecting this thread from the depths to say that I read today that Mexico is now allows gay marriage.

Actually, only the D.F. has legal civil marriages. The state of Coahuila recognizes same-sex civil unions.

[ 12. March 2010, 19:09: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
... when the same-sex marriages began in Iowa, no one showed up to protest. This was apparently a surprise to the national media, but would not be to anyone who had spent much time in Iowa...

Most people I knew when I lived in Iowa would have had an opinion about it -- and would have shared it with you, no problem. But when a same-sex couple moved in down the road, they'd have been a lot more interested in whether or not the guys were good at shoveling snow, than whether or not they had a marriage license.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In America social progress seems to develop organically to a great extent, rather than initially via legislation or court rulings. In many other countries, legislation is actually out ahead of societal attitudes to varying degrees. I suspect that even in the highly urban Mexico, D.F. the political leadership is out ahead of a large proportion of the citizenry. In the USA the legislatures, including the federal Congress (or particularly the federal Congress) are either afraid or unwilling to exercise leadership and hence are often far behind societal attitudes. If US legislative bodies were willing to exercise leadership we'd have at least same-sex civil unions in most states, rights at the federal level protecting same-sex couples, and full inclusion of gay citizens in the military.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
In America social progress seems to develop organically to a great extent, rather than initially via legislation or court rulings.

This seems to be a deliberate structural design inherent in the American system of government rather than a personal preference of the officials involved. The United States has been referred to as "the Frozen Republic", meaning that it remains unchanged for great stretches of time (e.g. no Constitutional amendments from 1804 to 1865) broken up by brief periods of rapid, radical change (e.g. the three Reconstruction Amendments ratified between 1865 and 1870 massively altered the American polity). There are so many veto points built in to the American system of government at every level, insuring a sizable minority can block majority action, that this aversion to change can only be interpreted as a deliberate preference by the designers of the system.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

And Perry v. Schwarzenegger has been decided (full opinion), striking down California's Proposition 8 on equal protection & due process grounds.

The full opinion is quite lengthy, but the key passage seems to be:

quote:
Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license. Indeed, the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex couples are superior to same-sex couples. Because California has no interest in discriminating against gay men and lesbians, and because Proposition 8 prevents California from fulfilling its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis,the court concludes that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional.
According to some reports, Prop 8 supporters filed for a stay of the judge's order before it was even handed down, so this isn't entirely unexpected. Thus begins the long road to the U.S. Supreme Court.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

A skewedly conservative Supreme Court, which will doubtless find something in the Constitution which makes discriminating against gay marriage okay (pace the conservatives' avowed dislike of "legislating from the bench"). Sometimes I really hate this country I love, or at least what it is turning into.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Hang on, remind me... Proposition 8 is the thing that banned gay marriage again, right?

So gay marriage is back in California for the time being?

It's like some kind of seasonal event...

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anthony Kennedy could save everybody the time and money of pursuing this case to the Supreme Court if he would just announce now if he thinks the US Constitution forbids congress and the states from defining marriage as being between a man and a woman.

I can't say for sure what he thinks. The 9th Circuit will uphold the district judges ruling. This means nothing because it is frequently overturned. If I had to guess, I'd say with 54% certainty that Kennedy votes with the conservatives to overturn 9th Circuity and District Court. He has both libertarian and federalist tendencies. Kennedy wrote the opinion in Lawrence vs. Texas that made state laws against sodomy unconstitutional. However, those laws dealt with what people did in the privacy of their own home and his opinion clearly states that it doesn't give gays and lesbians the right to marry. He also wrote the opinion in Romer vs. Evans that struck down as unconstitutional an article in the Colorado constitution that forbid gays and lesbians from being recognized as a protected class by local governments. However, his reason for the ruling was that the clause made gays and lesbians subject to discrimination. Up against that, you have his federalist tendency to defer to local, state, and federal government on issues not specifically addressed by the constitution. So, he'll accept a woman's right to an abortion. He'll also recognize the state's right to limit it. My guess is he says that marriage has traditionally been a matter for states and should remain so.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hang on, remind me... Proposition 8 is the thing that banned gay marriage again, right?

So gay marriage is back in California for the time being?

It's like some kind of seasonal event...

Gay marriage isn't quite back. The judge has delayed ruling on when it can start up again. Plus the other side is planning to appeal. (They evidently presented their side very poorly, basically saying it was self-evident and not much else.)

I'm pleased with the decision, and hope same-sex marriage starts up again soon.
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I've only read tiny fractions of the judgment so far, but I'm quite pleased that the judge has hit the 'the purpose of marriage is procreation' argument on the head.

I don't know why people keep even trying to use this one, when from a LEGAL standpoint it's perfectly obvious that marriage laws don't require an investigation into fertility before you're allowed to marry.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...because they're not arguing from a legal position; they're arguing from religion and self-evident (to them) natural law. They don't really care about law or rights, ISTM, except as those things affect them directly.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I've only read tiny fractions of the judgment so far, but I'm quite pleased that the judge has hit the 'the purpose of marriage is procreation' argument on the head.

I don't know why people keep even trying to use this one, when from a LEGAL standpoint it's perfectly obvious that marriage laws don't require an investigation into fertility before you're allowed to marry.

Yes, the stupidity of their case made today's ruling pretty predictable. Remains to be seen what the right-leaning SCOTUS will do with it when it gets that far.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

It will be interesting, actually. Because right-leaning courts have a tendency to read laws in a very literal-minded way.

I obviously don't know a great deal about American jurisprudence, and I am aware that the whole process of people getting appointed involves a GREAT deal more vetting of their opinions than we would ever dream of doing here. Appointees to the High Court here don't make decisions along obvious political lines, and have been known to give the governments that appointed them the occasional nasty surprise.

The judge seems to have put a good amount of effort into making his decision a clear and structured one.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Conservatives will complain about the courts interfering with the rights of the legislature to make law and then turn around and hire their lawyers to take State and federal governments to court for protecting the environment.

My own feeling is that it is time for both Canada and the US to finally divorce religious and civil marriage altogether. Most secular gays and lesbians do not give a damn if churches bless their marriages as long as they do not interfere with their right to get a civil marriage. As well religious people will be bloody assured for the 1000th time that Catholic priests will not be thrown in prison for refusing to marry same-sex couples.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
My own feeling is that it is time for both Canada and the US to finally divorce religious and civil marriage altogether.

From your lips to God's ears.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
My own feeling is that it is time for both Canada and the US to finally divorce religious and civil marriage altogether. Most secular gays and lesbians do not give a damn if churches bless their marriages as long as they do not interfere with their right to get a civil marriage. As well religious people will be bloody assured for the 1000th time that Catholic priests will not be thrown in prison for refusing to marry same-sex couples.

Number of Catholic priests imprisoned in the U.S. for refusing to marry the previously divorced = 0

Given the Catholic Church's well known refusal to recognize the marriages of those previously divorced (which are legal in all U.S. states) and the fact that the U.S. has imprisoned exactly zero priests for their refusal to perform such ceremonies, anyone arguing that legal gay marriage will mean jail time for objecting clergy is either incredibly ignorant or making a blatantly bad faith argument. For some reason the distinction between civil and religious marriage only becomes 'confusing' when same-sex couples are involved.

Calls to "divorce religious and civil marriage" ignore the fact that this is already the case in the U.S. No religious faction can legally marry anyone without a state-issued license, nor is a religious ceremony required for a marriage to be considered legal in any state.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Number of Catholic priests imprisoned in the U.S. for refusing to marry the previously divorced = 0

Given the Catholic Church's well known refusal to recognize the marriages of those previously divorced (which are legal in all U.S. states) and the fact that the U.S. has imprisoned exactly zero priests for their refusal to perform such ceremonies, anyone arguing that legal gay marriage will mean jail time for objecting clergy is either incredibly ignorant or making a blatantly bad faith argument. For some reason the distinction between civil and religious marriage only becomes 'confusing' when same-sex couples are involved.

Calls to "divorce religious and civil marriage" ignore the fact that this is already the case in the U.S. No religious faction can legally marry anyone without a state-issued license, nor is a religious ceremony required for a marriage to be considered legal in any state.

That's my point entirely, why exactly are our clergy acting as agents of the State in the marriage business? I'm more convinced that the French model where everyone, religious or not, is required to have their civil marrige conducted at city hall is better in terms of at least visually separating the two institutions.

Then if a couple would like a religious blessing, they can do so of their own accord with an institution of their choice. All the legal stuff should be done at City Hall, not the Church. Religious institutions would be free to bless whomever couple they choose.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
My own feeling is that it is time for both Canada and the US to finally divorce religious and civil marriage altogether.

From your lips to God's ears.
It's not up to God, it is a government matter. [Biased]

That is basically what happens with the marriage licence, so why not make the issuance of such licence the "civil marriage". Then those of church backgrounds can have their church ceremony as well.

Sounds simple to me.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether or not clerics act as agents of the state in performing weddings has no bearing on this issue. Opponents of same sex marriage would still oppose it if guaranteed their churches wouldn't have to perform them. Clerics who support same sex marriage can bless same sex unions and call the ritual marriage. It just isn't recognized by the state.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Sounds simple to me.

Should be. But the fanaticks don't want it to be. The state must enforce Christian morality. It must, it must, it must.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Whether or not clerics act as agents of the state in performing weddings has no bearing on this issue. Opponents of same sex marriage would still oppose it if guaranteed their churches wouldn't have to perform them. Clerics who support same sex marriage can bless same sex unions and call the ritual marriage. It just isn't recognized by the state.

What do you mean "would"? We don't have to guess at hypotheticals here, we can simply look at the case(s) on hand. When the government of California (or Iowa or Massachusetts or . . . ) revised its civil code to allow government recogniation of same-sex marriage, the faithful turned out in force to oppose it despite the fact that such a change only affected government operations.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Following up an earlier post, there's this:

quote:
All Mexican states must recognize gay marriages

MEXICO CITY — Mexico's Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that all 31 states must recognize same-sex marriages performed in the capital, though its decision does not force those states to begin marrying gay couples in their territory.

In a 9-2 decision, the tribunal cited an article of the constitution requiring states to recognize legal contracts drawn up elsewhere.

It did not specify what degree of recognition must be granted to same-sex couples.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ye gods, to think Mexico is in some way more civilizationally advanced than the USA. Although of course the people who hate Mexicans would also fail to see advancedness if it were written on the insides of their Foster Grants.

--------------------

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ye gods, to think Mexico is in some way more civilizationally advanced than the USA. Although of course the people who hate Mexicans would also fail to see advancedness if it were written on the insides of their Foster Grants.

Though I'm inclined to agree, Mexico fully accepts it's constitutional status as a secular state whereas the US winks at the concept of separation.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

Interestingly enough the Mexican ruling isn't so much about same-sex marriage per se, but rather an application of full faith and credit in a federal system, which makes it even more embarrassing since the U.S. invented the whole full faith and credit thing.

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"It is in the nature of barriers to fall" (Quentin Crisp, likely borrowing from other sources). DOMA is unconstitutional in as much as it authorises the violation of the full faith and credit clause of the US Constitution. It's shameful that Bill Clinton cravenly signed that monstrosity. All state laws that prohibit same-gender civil marriage and all state constitutional amendments that likewise do the same are unconstitutionally in violation of the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. The gig is up for the marriage bigots. I predict: a bare majority of the Supremes will be forced to find the denial of the protections afforded by civil marriage to same-gender couples unconstitutional. Please note my wording: they could leave some wiggle room for legal remedies other than same-sex marriage by that name; they will, however, make a judgement that the denial of the equal protections associated with the estate of civil marriage to same-gender couples is constitutionally prohibited. This will necessitate a massive reform of federal policy (immigration rights, tax status, etc) and of restrictive state laws, whether or not we possibly end up with a Plesey v. Ferguson "separate but equal" solution (rather like that adopted in the UK).
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting quirk in the judge's ruling today denying a stay during the appeal (beyond one week) is the fact that the proponents of the gay marriage ban may not have legal standing to appeal the ruling. The suit was officially against the State of California, and the State would have to file an appeal. But both the Governator and Attorney-General have said they agree with the ruling and will accept it.

If the Measure 8 Proponents don't have standing to appeal, this case won't make it to the Supremes. Expect a lot of legal wrangling on the details more than on the merits of the case.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
DOMA is unconstitutional in as much as it authorises the violation of the full faith and credit clause of the US Constitution.

Not really, or at least there's an arguable case that it doesn't. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the U.S. Constitution reads, in it's entirety:

quote:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
That second sentence clearly gives Congress the authority to regulate the manner in which Full Faith and Credit is applicable and, implicitly, to stipulate ways in which it's not. So while I agree that DOMA is a shameful monstrosity, it's not unconstitutional.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
An interesting quirk in the judge's ruling today denying a stay during the appeal (beyond one week) is the fact that the proponents of the gay marriage ban may not have legal standing to appeal the ruling. The suit was officially against the State of California, and the State would have to file an appeal. But both the Governator and Attorney-General have said they agree with the ruling and will accept it.

If the Measure 8 Proponents don't have standing to appeal, this case won't make it to the Supremes. Expect a lot of legal wrangling on the details more than on the merits of the case.

It is interesting. A similar thing happened in Australia a few years ago over access to IVF treatment for single women (and impliedly, by *gasp* lesbians). The Catholic Church tried to appeal the decision that restricting IVF treatment to married couples was discriminatory. But our High Court ruled that they had no standing.

However, in this Proposition 8 case there were people added to the official list of parties as 'Defendant-Intervenors'. I won't claim to know the ins and outs of standing, particularly in America, but I would imagine that they would have full rights to appeal after being formally added to the case.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Wow...that is interesting. A federal judge in California says that a California law violates the US Constitution. However, similar laws in the rest of the 9th Circuit still stand because they haven't been challenged. If they are challenged and none of the states oppose them, then it becomes federal law in the 9th Circuit but not in the rest of the country. So, for it to become legal in the rest of the country, other state laws would have to be challenged and ruled constitutional by more conservative circuit courts of appeal. Then, SCOTUS would have to clear up the quagmire. Now, if they rule the state laws are constitutional, they reverse the gains made by gay marriage supporters on the West Coast. It is absurd...but interesting.

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
quote:
DOMA is unconstitutional in as much as it authorises the violation of the full faith and credit clause of the US Constitution.

Not really, or at least there's an arguable case that it doesn't. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the U.S. Constitution reads, in it's entirety:

quote:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
That second sentence clearly gives Congress the authority to regulate the manner in which Full Faith and Credit is applicable and, implicitly, to stipulate ways in which it's not. So while I agree that DOMA is a shameful monstrosity, it's not unconstitutional.

As I read it, it is within the authority of Congress to legislate the means whereby full faith and credit is administered between the several states; conversely, I am not at all sure that the constitutional provision grants Congress the authority to selectively nullify the extension of full faith and credit of the public acts of the states amongst themselves. Moreover, DOMA violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

Some arguments here

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

Also, of course, this
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

As I read it, it is within the authority of Congress to legislate the means whereby full faith and credit is administered between the several states; conversely, I am not at all sure that the constitutional provision grants Congress the authority to selectively nullify the extension of full faith and credit of the public acts of the states amongst themselves. Moreover, DOMA violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.
As I read it, the Full Faith & Credit clause not only gives Congress the ability to "legislate the means ["Manner" in the FF&C clause] whereby full faith and credit is administered" but also "the Effect thereof". Being able to legislatively control "the Effect thereof" implicitly contains the authority to legislate that there's no Effect whatsoever. As you point out, where this falls down is at the Equal Protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. (Were it not for the Slaughter-House cases it would also be regarded as violating the Privileges & Immunities clause of the Fourteenth Amendement as well.) So I guess I spoke overbroadly in my last post. DOMA does not unconstitutionally violate the Full Faith & Credit clause, but it is unconstitutional on Equal Protection grounds.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016