homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Pro Life" Activists Drop Pretense, Endorse Murder (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "Pro Life" Activists Drop Pretense, Endorse Murder
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brightmorningstar:
To North East Quine,
quote:
But surely, scripturally, the purpose of sexual intercourse may well be pregnancy with complications? Does Gen 3 -16 not say "And God said to the woman "I will increase your trouble in pregnancy and your pain in giving birth."?
Well thats because of the fall, not the way God created, what God created was good.

And I cant hold God to account by what some Victorians thought.

I don't see how you can say that something which exists by explicity divine decree is "not the way God created". If God did this, then obviously it was his intention.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke

Soli Deo Gloria
# 306

- Posted      Profile for Luke   Author's homepage   Email Luke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
This idea that a man should be able to control the actions of any woman he impregnates runs counter to about a century and a half of Western thought on the question of slavery.

Just as a woman shouldn't be allowed to control the life or death of the person she is bearing, because that also would be a form of slavery.

--------------------
Emily's Voice

Posts: 822 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Luke, your argument gives absolutely no value to the woman's emotional well-being, health, career prospects, social life or anything of the woman, except her ability to carry a foetus to term. Can't you hear that in what you're saying?

All the value is weighted to the zygote or foetus. For a baby to be born, a woman really does have to be affected, - happily in the case of a wanted baby, but adversely in the case of an unwanted baby. The woman is a sentient being, which is a damn sight more than a zygote is.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Luke, like it or no, a foetus is not a person; a potential person, yes, but not a person until delivered. I won't go down the "immortal soul" pathway, this time.

The WHO definition ( 20 weeks gestation or 400 grams weight whichever applies) of foetal viability still stands.

Not that I expect you to reconsider your POV....

m

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke

Soli Deo Gloria
# 306

- Posted      Profile for Luke   Author's homepage   Email Luke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiosity Killed, all those things a woman risks to bring an unborn to term, the whole list still isn't worth more then someone's life! I find your position shocking and you find my shocking because of what we believe about the status of the zygote, again it all seems to boil down to who is and isn't a person.

You claim the zygote isn't a sentient being although I doubt you have a clear definition of whatever a sentient should be. And this is understandable in a way because if you picked consciousness, I'd ask about an unconscious adult or if you picked intelligence/rationality I'd ask about a retarded person etc. We were debating something similar up-thread, you were suggesting a continuum and I was asking against what you measured such a continuum.

quote:
Originally posted by multipara:
Luke, like it or no, a foetus is not a person; a potential person, yes, but not a person until delivered. I won't go down the "immortal soul" pathway, this time.

The WHO definition ( 20 weeks gestation or 400 grams weight whichever applies) of foetal viability still stands.

Not that I expect you to reconsider your POV....

Everyone seems pretty firmly entrenched but its good we're arguing about it.

Multipara, why should I accept the WHO definition, if I have theistic presuppositions and an epistemology defined by Scripture? But more interestingly why is birth the beginning of a person? (I'm not sure what you mean by the "immortal soul route," I hold personhood is primarily defined by God's recognition.) It's interesting that birth is such a clear demarcation, what about being a person does a child gain at birth that they didn't have as a zygote?

--------------------
Emily's Voice

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personality, Luke, and yes, after birth it develops mighty fast.

By the by, you need not accept the WHO definition of foetal viability , and as a sky pilot it is probably outside of your brief. However, it does you no harm to be aware that it exists, and this scrap of knowledge might be pastorally useful to you one of these days.

Always happy to oblige,

m

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To begin with, let's clarify the meaning of sentient:
sentient verb conscious, capable of sensation, aware; responsive to stimulus
noun a sentient being or mind.

Technically that zygote doesn't become a foetus until 10 weeks gestation. The rudimentary brain and spinal column development begins at about 5-7 weeks gestation. The startle reflex develops at around week 23 of gestation, and the full development of the nervous system to control bodily functions occurs by week 27 of gestation.

A zygote cannot possibly be sentient by the definition as it doesn't have the capacity.

I'm comfortable with terminations in the zygote stage or within the first trimester, and I've said that repeatedly. That's quite a few weeks before the traditional time for quickening (around 19 weeks) and some weeks before the zygote or foetus is sentient by normal dictionary definitions.

But then as a woman I think women should be seen as fully functioning human beings.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Luke

Soli Deo Gloria
# 306

Mutlipara, is your "pastoral" advice given in lieu of an argument? And is personality (dramatically acquired at birth), however it is measured, your defining characteristic of who is and isn't a human? It doesn't seem any less arbitrary then having a theological definition.

Curiosity Killed, I haven't doubted your clear support of abortion prior to 19 weeks. However like most of those on the ship who support abortion you dispute the personhood of the unborn child. In your case you define personhood alot earlier and differently to multipara. Although making sentience your benchmark for defining humanity still leaves you with problems. For example, would an unconscious leper still be considered a person?

--------------------
Emily's Voice

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You're reading me wrongly, Luke. I'm saying a zygote does not have capacity for sentience as it does not have a brain at all. A leper in a coma does.

Where did I say 19 weeks? The first trimester ends at 13 weeks. After 13 weeks gestation is also the recommended time for prospective parents to tell people that they are expecting as the highest risk of spontaneous abortion has passed.

I did say that I would have preferred our legal abortions without major medical reasons to have changed to 18 weeks when it was last up for debate as that was the earliest option on the table.

[ 01. January 2010, 10:58: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

Luke, scroll back and read my post: I said "sentient"; the humanity of the foetus goes without saying.

No point is arguing ; you are operating from a fixed point so "pastoral advice" (gee, thanks, I don't do pastoral) may after all, be the way to go in dialogue with you.

m

brightmorningstar
Shipmate
# 15354

- Posted      Profile for brightmorningstar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To Croesos,
quote:
I don't see how you can say that something which exists by explicity divine decree is "not the way God created".
I am not saying that. I have said what god created was good, the complications are due to the fall, is that what the Bible implies?
Posts: 243 | From: London area | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
brightmorningstar
Shipmate
# 15354

- Posted      Profile for brightmorningstar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To Curiosity killed...
quote:
... I'm saying a zygote does not have capacity for sentience as it does not have a brain at all. A leper in a coma does.
Ok I can see that, but again that only applies if one thinks sentience is important, as sentience just comes as does cognitive thought or puberty at some stage during a life on what grounds should sentience determine whether a life should proceed or not, why not cognitive thought or puberty?
Posts: 243 | From: London area | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
But Luke, your argument gives absolutely no value to the woman's emotional well-being, health, career prospects, social life or anything of the woman, except her ability to carry a foetus to term. Can't you hear that in what you're saying?

But an abortion can have effects on a woman's emotional well-being and health too. A character in a series of books I'm reading is unable to have children as a result of an earlier abortion -- not sure how likely this is medically, but it wasn't something the character had considered at the time she had the abortion.

An unintended/unexpected pregnancy has impacts on a woman's emotional well-being etc whatever decision she reaches about abortion. Personally, I think that I would be more affected by the what might have beens of having an abortion than by those of carrying the baby to term.

One question that needs to be asked is why are there so many unintended/unexpected pregnancies in our society.

I like Obama's statement that he would like abortion to be 'safe, legal and rare'. I don't ever think it is a good thing to do, but accept that it can be the least bad thing given the non-ideal circumstances and would rather that an abortion is done safely and legally than risking the mother's health in a back street abortion.

Rather than picketing abortion clinics and threatening the lives of those carrying out abortions, I think people would be better off working to support those who are in difficult situations, promoting safe sex and considered decisions about sex.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Carys, I would have to look for a while to find them, but the articles I've seen discussing the effects of an termination of pregnancy on a woman have depended on the starting point of the researchers. Researchers who believed it would adversely affect women have concluded that, those who believed women wouldn't be affected have also proved their ideas. I suspect it varies depending on the woman concerned.

What is probably more important is making the best decision at the time that can be lived with. I have refused to get involved with local pregnancy counselling that has an agenda, as that's not best serving the girls and women concerned. They need to know all the options realistically and to have time to think what is the best solution for them in their situation at that time.

I've addressed your other points about education before - here most recently. I take it as read that we want to reduce the number of terminations, but get bored of saying the same thing over and over again on different threads.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to original topic, Scott Roeder has just been convicted of murder in the first degree. Jury deliberations took approximately forty minutes, according to CNN.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pulling this thread up to post this:

Texas man threatened deadly force to stop abortion

It seems like the logical progression from the Scott Roeder case.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
27 years old and lives with his parents; is acting as his own attorney.

Nutbar.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, yeah, obviously a nut job. Still, it does seem to be the obvious progression from Scott Roeder.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if it's a progression, or just more of the same old thing. New generation being passed the torch from the old. As has been said, what biblical moral injunction will these nutjobs decide needs to be defended with firepower next? A vigilante is a wannabe dictator.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am also comfortable with terminations before 12 weeks. After that I really struggle with the idea - especially now that pregnancy is detected so early.

It's about weighing and choosing the 'least worst' solution imo, and should be totally in the woman's hands to choose (before 12 weeks)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry - hasty reply to the wrong bit! [Hot and Hormonal]

My reply to this bit - how dare this man even begin to judge other's pain [Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Despite his "nutbar" status, Mr. Lo seems to have a fairly clear grasp of mainstream anti-abortion teachings.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There’s much I don’t understand about this debate, especially the religious aspects of it, and much of it seems rooted in paradox.

As has already been pointed out, making an exception to an absolute ban of abortion on the basis of rape (and, presumably, incest) makes no moral sense – until or unless we recognize that, in making the exception, we weigh the mother’s presumed emotional pain, and/or her (possible) condition of servitude to a being she did not seek to conceive, and find that killing the foetus in those circumstances may be a lesser evil than forcing the mother to give birth.

ISTM this stance gives houseroom to two ideas: 1, that the value of one human life can sometimes outweigh the value of another, morally speaking, and 2, that the value of one human’s suffering can sometimes exceed the value of another human’s life (that is, provided we’re assuming both that the foetus is human and has life).

For Christians, Idea # 1 seems to me to be contradicted by basic Christian teaching: equality in Christ. I don’t know what to say about Idea # 2, except that, for those claiming a Christian pro-life position, it looks like an untenable stance.

On the other hand, an absolute ban on all abortions, ISTM, makes the implicit claim that the value of a foetal life, morally speaking, always outweighs the value of the life upon which the foetal life depends (which, frankly, makes no practical sense to me); and also always exceeds in value any pain or suffering involved for either being. What’s more, this greater value appears to derive, in part, from the inability of the foetus to have, express, and/or act on its own wishes. (This in turn raises the question of whether a moral agent can morally accept or reject life, but that’s another thread.) But nobody here sees the foetus as a moral agent, do they? So it falls to others to act on the foetus’ behalf.

Here’s where I get lost.

Who has the moral authority to speak for a foetus? Given that the woman carrying the foetus has the fullest and most intimate knowledge of that foetus’s current circumstances and future prospects, why is she not automatically assigned this moral agency (given that the foetus has none)?

Imagine that you are the foetus in the womb of a drug-addicted, HIV-infected mother, and know that you face premature birth, a period of severe withdrawal, and probable death within days or weeks. A moral agent with the capacity to act might reject this ordeal and choose not to undergo it. If suffering sometimes outweighs human life in value (see above), doesn’t this rejection spare a great deal of suffering for both mother and foetus?

Why assume that any third party has more moral authority, or can somehow assume more legitimate moral agency, than the one moral agent most intimately involved?

The mirror, of course, is the moral agent who takes the life of the doctor who performs abortions; he take not only that life, but also that person's moral agency from him. In addition, he removes any possibility of the good that practitioner does in performing other medical services (I am assuming that, for most doctors, perfomring abortions is not in itself a full time job).

[ 11. April 2010, 14:49: Message edited by: Apocalypso ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:
There’s much I don’t understand about this debate, especially the religious aspects of it, and much of it seems rooted in paradox.

Personally, I don't see abortion as a religious issue at all - I start from the other direction. The fact that so many Christians are opposed to the bloody practice is a powerful argument for the truth of Christianity.

quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:
As has already been pointed out, making an exception to an absolute ban of abortion on the basis of rape (and, presumably, incest) makes no moral sense –

Why do they always talk of "rape and incest"? I'd think most of the time the latter is part of the former, and if it was instead consensual, what are you complaining about?

And you're right - it makes no moral sense. I cannot imagine how anyone could look at a little girl born of rape and tell her "It's nothing you did, so don't take it personally, but because who your father was, you should have been killed six years ago".

That said, I would certainly rather have laws with said exceptions than nothing at all, and hopefully some years later people's hearts would be changed enough to close the last crack in the doorway for good.

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More fuel for the fire. [Frown] The study linking abortion and mental illness does not comment on causation.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:
That said, I would certainly rather have laws with said exceptions than nothing at all, and hopefully some years later people's hearts would be changed enough to close the last crack in the doorway for good.

So under your preferred law, what would be the legal penalty for a woman who gets a medical abortion?

--------------------

Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So under your preferred law, what would be the legal penalty for a woman who gets a medical abortion?

And what may I ask is a "medical" abortion?

Your question seems to get asked an awful lot, for some reason. I'm not a legislator or a criminal law expert, so it's hardly my job to make such decisions, but here are my general ideas.

The guilt of the women depends a lot on circumstances. If she is underage or coerced into the abortion, then there need be no punishment. And as I said, I don't think we can reasonably hope for an outright ban in the near future (USA-wise), so a "life of the mother" hole will probably hafta stay. But I would like to see it gone. I would say then that if the doctor or the mother believed that she would have died had the abortion not occurred, then punishment might be mitigated somewhat, but not altogether removed.

What should that punishment be? Again, I don't know. I've no interest in needlessly making people suffer. But there needs to be serious consequences to deter anyone contemplating an abortion from going through, and to convince those who've had one they don't want to return there. At least five years in prison, I'd think.

And the doctor? Well, for stomping on the basic principles of the Hippocratic Oath, he should be stripped of his license and forbidden to practice medicine for the rest of his life, then locked up as well.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So a woman raped and left pregnant by a mugger should carry the child to term, at whatever emotional and economic cost to her, or be punished by no less than 5 years in prison.

This ia a reaonable statement in just what manner?

A 9-year-old girl, left pregnant with twins by her stepfather should be forced to carry the babies to term even though this would kill the girl, or she would be forced to be imprisoned for no less than five years.

In other words, you have absolutely no concept that a woman is also a human being, rather she is just a brood mare for men who have no moral control at all, and she should be punished for the sins of the men as some sort of expiation.

I'm really glad that you aren't a member of a theocracy that my daughters would have to grow up in.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
So a woman raped and left pregnant by a mugger should carry the child to term, at whatever emotional and economic cost to her, or be punished by no less than 5 years in prison.

A 9-year-old girl, left pregnant with twins by her stepfather should be forced to carry the babies to term even though this would kill the girl, or she would be forced to be imprisoned for no less than five years.

I will fully concur that that's a horrid situation. But don't blame me, don't blame the law, and certainly don't blame the unborn child. Blame the rapist!

And as I said before, no girl of a such tender age as you refer to would ever be punished.

quote:
In other words, you have absolutely no concept that a woman is also a human being, rather she is just a brood mare for men who have no moral control at all, and she should be punished for the sins of the men as some sort of expiation.

That argument would sound quite compelling if the question was only about the woman. But it's not - it's also about the child who happens to be carried by the woman. If you'll forgive me for using your words, sadly many have "absolutely no concept that a women is also a human being" before she is born, rather than one who "should be punished for the sins of the men" who wrongly begat her.

quote:
I'm really glad that you aren't a member of a theocracy that my daughters would have to grow up in.

Again, I really wish people would stop calling protecting innocent life "theocracy". [Confused] It's not about religion, it's about justice.

But whatever you call it, I'd much rather have my daughters grow up there, where they would at least have a decent chance of making it out of the womb alive and seeing it with their own eyes.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

And what may I ask is a "medical" abortion?
An abortion brought about by medical means, as opposed to a spontaneous miscarriage. Technically both qualify as an aborted pregnancy.

quote:
quote:

I will fully concur that that's a horrid situation. But don't blame me, don't blame the law, and certainly don't blame the unborn child. Blame the rapist!

And as I said before, no girl of a such tender age as you refer to would ever be punished.

Unless you count dying in horrible agony as a form of punishment. To wit:

quote:
And as I said, I don't think we can reasonably hope for an outright ban in the near future (USA-wise), so a "life of the mother" hole will probably hafta stay. But I would like to see it gone. I would say then that if the doctor or the mother believed that she would have died had the abortion not occurred, then punishment might be mitigated somewhat, but not altogether removed.

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
so a "life of the mother" hole will probably hafta stay. But I would like to see it gone. I would say then that if the doctor or the mother believed that she would have died had the abortion not occurred, then punishment might be mitigated somewhat, but not altogether removed.

What should that punishment be? Again, I don't know. I've no interest in needlessly making people suffer. But there needs to be serious consequences to deter anyone contemplating an abortion from going through, and to convince those who've had one they don't want to return there. At least five years in prison, I'd think.

And the doctor? Well, for stomping on the basic principles of the Hippocratic Oath, he should be stripped of his license and forbidden to practice medicine for the rest of his life, then locked up as well.

Are you for real?

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Luke:
(I'm not sure what you mean by the "immortal soul route," I hold personhood is primarily defined by God's recognition.) It's interesting that birth is such a clear demarcation, what about being a person does a child gain at birth that they didn't have as a zygote?

I really don't even begin to understand your point of view. I believe abortion should be available before 12 weeks - we are not talking about a child or a person here, we are talking about a potential person. Millions are lost naturally before the woman even knew the egg was fertilised.

I think God is pro-choice. He gives us choice in absolutely everything. That's the point of life isn't it? That we make free choices. If God controoled things there would be no freedom or choice. I thank God that He isn't in control.

The situation of the mother can not be left out of the equation. To ban abortion would lead us backwards - women losing all choice over their own bodies and lives.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:
quote:
so .... blah, nutty, not-of this earth stuff... then locked up as well.

Are you for real?
No, of course not. Either a troll, or living in some kind of bubble since puberty. Either way, best leave it alone.
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
quote:
quote:
so .... blah, nutty, not-of this earth stuff... then locked up as well.

Are you for real?
No, of course not. Either a troll, or living in some kind of bubble since puberty. Either way, best leave it alone.
Hosting

Accusations that someone is trolling or has been 'living in a bubble since puberty' are personal insults, which are banned by Commandment 3. If you're so riled by what someone posts that you want to personally insult them, then you need to post on the Hell Board, not here. That includes all people who want to pursue whether another poster is 'for real' or not.

thank you.

Louise

Dead Horses Host

Hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry.
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But whoever you are that's saying "life of the mother" is not an adequate reason--do me a favor please and don't identify yourself with pro-life. That's a position I've never heard from ANYBODY on that side.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
But whoever you are that's saying "life of the mother" is not an adequate reason--do me a favor please and don't identify yourself with pro-life. That's a position I've never heard from ANYBODY on that side.

You're just not paying attention. Some countries have even been convinced to adopt such pro-life* positions.

quote:
In this new movement toward criminalization, El Salvador is in the vanguard. The array of exceptions that tend to exist even in countries where abortion is circumscribed — rape, incest, fetal malformation, life of the mother — don't apply in El Salvador. They were rejected in the late 1990's, in a period after the country's long civil war ended. The country's penal system was revamped and its constitution was amended. Abortion is now absolutely forbidden in every possible circumstance. No exceptions.
If you can convince a democratic nation to enact laws like this and, more importantly, enforce them, I'd say there's a pretty good number of people on the pro-life* side that have that position.

*Offer expires at birth.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think we can reasonably hope for an outright ban in the near future (USA-wise), so a "life of the mother" hole will probably hafta stay. But I would like to see it gone.

I'd like to see ectopic pregnancies gone, too, but they still happen.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ectopic pregnancies are God's punishment or getting laid, perhaps. Maybe St Paul didn't go far enough. God really does hate sex.

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
so a "life of the mother" hole will probably hafta stay. But I would like to see it gone. I would say then that if the doctor or the mother believed that she would have died had the abortion not occurred, then punishment might be mitigated somewhat, but not altogether removed.

Are you for real?
I will rephrase, though Bran appears to have lost interest in the thread after dropping his statements.

I'd love to see some clarification of what brought you to these conclusions, Bran. How do you stand against saving a current life by taking another, when the option otherwise is to have two deaths? How do you then add 5 years of jail-time for the mother who already had to make this horrific choice already? And then add 5 years for the doctor who is following his Hippocratic oath?

I'm generally anti-abortion. I don't see any sensible arguments supporting it. Privacy rights here just seem like a category error, etc. That said, I do stand against the pro-life establishment in the US, since I think their approach to the issue is typically at least as bad as the problem, and hurtful to boot.

That said, I don't see any rational way to be against a health of the mother provision.

Please do explain, if you are lurking.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

quote:
I will rephrase, though Bran appears to have lost interest in the thread after dropping his statements.

I'd love to see some clarification of what brought you to these conclusions, Bran. How do you stand against saving a current life by taking another, when the option otherwise is to have two deaths? How do you then add 5 years of jail-time for the mother who already had to make this horrific choice already? And then add 5 years for the doctor who is following his Hippocratic oath?

I'm generally anti-abortion. I don't see any sensible arguments supporting it. Privacy rights here just seem like a category error, etc. That said, I do stand against the pro-life establishment in the US, since I think their approach to the issue is typically at least as bad as the problem, and hurtful to boot.

That said, I don't see any rational way to be against a health of the mother provision.

Please do explain, if you are lurking.

Never fear, I'm still here - just was tramping around Baltimore this weekend without any computer around.

It all comes down to this: Is there a moral difference between killing a baby one hour before he is born and killing a baby one hour after he is born? I say no. And everything else, however unpleasant it may seen to the modern mind, is, I think, the inescapable result of that conclusion.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

But that's not what is being argued by anyone who thinks that abortion can be allowed for any reason. The arguments are more to do with whether you count a zygote just after conception or implantation, when it is a non-viable bundle of cells, as fully alive as a foetus at some months gestation, say 22 weeks gestation, when that foetus could be viable without the mother. And where that grey line falls.

Also how much you see the potential mother as being valued - if you value a bundle of cells at conception as being more important than the woman carrying that zygote.

[ 03. May 2010, 23:23: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

quote:
Also how much you see the potential mother as being valued - if you value a bundle of cells at conception as being more important than the woman carrying that zygote.

They are equally valued - it would be just as wrong to kill the mother to save the child as it would bet to kill the child to save the mother, if such a situation could ever arrive.

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

quote:
quote:

They are equally valued - it would be just as wrong to kill the mother to save the child as it would bet to kill the child to save the mother, if such a situation could ever arrive.
So you think we should kill both by inaction then? Wonderfully sensible!

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

So you think we should kill both by inaction then? Wonderfully sensible!
As a solution it certainly has the value of efficiency.

quote:
A policy that criminalizes all abortions has a flip side. It appears to mandate that the full force of the medical team must tend toward saving the fetus under any circumstances. This notion can lead to some dangerous practices. Consider an ectopic pregnancy, a condition that occurs when a microscopic fertilized egg moves down the fallopian tube — which is no bigger around than a pencil — and gets stuck there (or sometimes in the abdomen). Unattended, the stuck fetus grows until the organ containing it ruptures. A simple operation can remove the fetus before the organ bursts. After a rupture, though, the situation can turn into a medical emergency.
So this policy makes sure that women face the maximum possible risk from a pregnancy that cannot possibly be brought to term, but let's not underestimate the importance of Bran maintaining a moral high ground on the back of the suffering of others.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Better that we condemn a mother and fertilized ovum to die, than that we directly kill the fertilized ovum.

Yeah, that makes all sorts of sense.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it would be just as wrong to kill the mother to save the child as it would bet to kill the child to save the mother, if such a situation could ever arrive.

Do I detect an implication in your last phrase that you think it very doubtful that such situations can arise?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Better that we condemn a mother and fertilized ovum to die, than that we directly kill the fertilized ovum.

Yeah, that makes all sorts of sense.

A couple of points.
1) It's not a fertilised ovum at any stage at which it might be perceptibly endangering the mother's life. To assimilate the fertilised ovum to a human being so that it obtains full human value at conception is consistent if counter-intuitive. To assimilate a fifteen week foetus to a fertilised ovum is neither intuitive nor consistent.
2) Usually we are iffy about killing people even if they'll die anyway. Consider: shipwrecked sailors offered the choice between cannibalism and starvation. (Or Scott in the Antarctic: if they had killed Oates before he 'volunteered' the rest might have made it.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

If you wouldn't call it a fertilized ovum, what would you call it? Let's let "X" stand for the term you'd prefer. Let me recast my sentence:

"Better that we condemn a mother and an X to die, than that we directly kill the X."

Are we happy now?

quote:
Usually we are iffy about killing people even if they'll die anyway.
So the mother's life doesn't enter into it for you?

[ 04. May 2010, 22:55: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I wondered where the 15 weeks came from too. The UK statistics show that over 70% of terminations of pregnancies occur before 10 weeks gestation and over 90% occur before 13 weeks gestation, so a tiny minority of terminations would occur at 15 weeks. Those figures come from the National Statistics Office and are for 2008.

And those 10% of later terminations are more likely to be where the difficult questions are decided, because that's after the first scans.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016