homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are GLBTs more high church or low church? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Are GLBTs more high church or low church?
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a question, do you think gays and lesbians are more high church, low church or broad church? I have heard of the argument that gay men tend to be disproportionately attracted to high church denominations (Catholicism and Anglicanism in particular). Of course this might be playing on tired old stereotypes of gay men being effeminate.

On the other hand, I have noticed at least in my own limited experience, that there is a sizable portion, at least of gay men, that is attracted to evangelical/charismatic type churches.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you might see more gay men and lesbians in churches that are welcoming. It then becomes a snowball effect.

If people grow up in a particular tradition, they will tend to seek out similar traditions - which becomes rather difficult when those traditions are one stop short of endorsing stoning. When we set up a specifically queer congregation, we had endless struggles between the various Christian traditions - my memories of trying to mediate between "true Bible believing" Baptists and Salvation Army ex-members and "so high we're losing oxygen" Anglicans.

I didn't notice any gender split, although I did notice the guys were happier with "whatever". The lesbians just wanted to win!

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know one gay white man who I can only describe as a high church charismatic. The two are not mutually exclusive.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Just a question, do you think gays and lesbians are more high church, low church or broad church?

Round here overwhelmingly high church. Not universally. but mostly.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been thinking about my own circle.

1 Methodist (woman) partner to an Anglican

3 almost fundy ex-Baptists, who bemoan the lack of decent preaching in any other church (2 women, 1 man)

4 low church Catholics more interested in social justice issues than liturgy (2 women, 2 men)

4 fairly high Anglicans (there isn't really a nosebleed high church in my city) (1 woman, 3 men)

6 Presbyterians (five women, 1 man) - this may reflect the welcoming nature of the particular parish, but the man and two of the women are cradle Presbyterians, and the man's partner is one of the Anglicans.

Don't know that you can tell anything from that spread. In our queer congregation we had more Catholics than any other denom, but they were all at the low end.

However, when I lived in another city, there was a large contingent of gay men congregated at the Cathedral. They formed a nasty little misogynist clique that eventually made me so angry I left church altogether for a couple of years. If they had been lesbians, I would have called them separatist.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
High church or central church with strong liberal leanings. There's not much understanding in the evangelical churches round here, perhaps because it's a rural area. So any GLBTs would either feel unwelcome or keep vewwy vewwy quiet.

Give 'em a few years, though, and these churches will probably come round like they did with divorce and remarriage. Nobody can afford to turn anyone away these days.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my experience they tend to be 'high' because:

anglo-catholics tend to like fun and aren't too censorious

some like all the dressing up

some have found the sacrament of penance helpful

and because those who've gone to evangelical churches have often left the church altogether as a result of homophobia

This is all, of course, a wild generalisation.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

but God help you if you bow when you should twirl [Biased]

I know not all gays are camp, but perhaps it's easier for those who are to hide in the anglo-catholic camped-up environment.
In some churches, they'd stick out like a sore thumb. And therefore get picked on or feel isolated.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In one of the gay couples I know, one is higher and the other lower by temperament, but the one who is lower has I believe had more problems being accepted in churches.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard this said before and I do know a fair few Gay men who are so high church Anglican they should relly take oxygen cylinders to church.
Personally I am a Methodist (though comparatively high I guess) and part of a Gay and Lesbian network in the NZ Methodist church.
As to why Gay men and Anglo-Catholicism / Roman Catholicism for some there is the sense of theatre perhaps. Certainly there are all male groups which may be comfortable.
I would be interested in the experiences of Lesbian women from High Church backgrounds; especially where there has been resistance to the ministry of women. I have a hunch some of the nonconformist churches which had women preachers quite early on and then developed deaconess roles in which women exercised ministry, often pretty autonomously, may have been more congenial for Lesbian women.
As to why a GLBT Christian might be drawn to a church with a developed sense of ritual and symbolism well I think ritual and symbol provides a more open and nuanced language. Though I know Evangelical Gay people they often feel they are there on sufferance and are 'preached to.' That being said they also value the closeness and warmth of congregational life.
The short answer is we are all different, nuanced and complex. For me I value the social justice emphasis of my tradition, its informality and the quality of relationships in the church and the freedom to be creative in worship. I imagine I would feel this way if I were straight.

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if it is just a case of gay men who are formerly Roman Catholic who convert to Anglicanism bringing their Catholic sensibilities with them.

I know quite a few gay men who were former Roman Catholics who converted to Anglicanism.

To be honest, when I converted to Anglicanism in 2001, the best reason I could think of as to why was that it was Catholicism without the nasty homophobia. I suppose if Catholicism was more welcoming, I would consider converting to Rome.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

I started out high Anglican, and stayed there until around 30. I think I've said somewhere else on the boards that the basic problem was with me being female. Lesbian was icing on the cake.

I encountered huge sexism, and the occasion that finally made me leave was the visit of Phyllis Trible to our church. She preached an absolutely cracker sermon on her expert field - Job. But out in the vestry (I was serving that day) I heard nothing but rude, nasty remarks about her - nothing to do with her writing or scholarship, just that she was a woman. She wasn't invited to process with the clergy, she wasn't invited to pray with us beforehand, and she wasn't given thanks or a welcome.

I tried a couple of other parishes, but without any better result, and eventually moved to being Presbyterian when I got together with my beloved, who is an elder. Having been a cradle Anglican it was a long slow haul to adjust.

I am a theatrical person, but it has nothing to do with being a lesbian! It has to do with growing up on a solid tradition of incense and bells.

--------------------

Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a former Roman Cathoic who is now a Methodist. The increasing hard line did for me really and I think the final nail in the coffin was going to Mass on the Feast of the Holy Family where the priest lauded all the married couples present and asked them to join him in the Sanctuary while he presided. As an aside he said we should not despise homosexuals as they are sad creaures in need of our pity.
After that I left and found myself in a sort of denominational limbo. I ended up joining a Methodist congregation after seeing an ad by them in a local GLBT newsletter.
I was ordained as a presbyter a month ago after serving my probationary ministry period.
No doubt I bring some Catholicism with me; as one of my congregants said to me a while back "your Catholic roots show, but you are a good preacher." (I hope the two aren't mutually exclusive!)

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
I started out high Anglican, and stayed there until around 30. I think I've said somewhere else on the boards that the basic problem was with me being female. Lesbian was icing on the cake.

I encountered huge sexism, and the occasion that finally made me leave was the visit of Phyllis Trible to our church. She preached an absolutely cracker sermon on her expert field - Job. But out in the vestry (I was serving that day) I heard nothing but rude, nasty remarks about her - nothing to do with her writing or scholarship, just that she was a woman. She wasn't invited to process with the clergy, she wasn't invited to pray with us beforehand, and she wasn't given thanks or a welcome.

I tried a couple of other parishes, but without any better result, and eventually moved to being Presbyterian when I got together with my beloved, who is an elder. Having been a cradle Anglican it was a long slow haul to adjust.

I am a theatrical person, but it has nothing to do with being a lesbian! It has to do with growing up on a solid tradition of incense and bells.

I could give other examples similar to the reception of Trible, who is an excellent writer and speaker.

Anglo-catholicism has a two-faced attitude to LGBTs. The more conservative churches don't mind LGBTs who are penitent or, at least, not too 'noisy' They can't cope with out gays so much - indeed many of the clergy are closet cases (suffering from internalised homophibia and also likely to be misogynist) and greatly fear those who are out.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Dallas the two largest gay churches were low church.

The Cathedral of Hope which has about 3,500 members is now part of the UCC. They are lightly liturgical and have weekly communion, but tend to have more praise music that traditional hymns.

Even more low-church and far more conservative was the 2,000 member White Rock Community Church. They had a very low Protestant service and believe in Biblical infallibility.

Also when looked in the Religious Organizations section of the Dallas gay directory there were numerous small evangelical and Pentecostal house churches.

But many people there are ex-Southern Baptist, etc. refugees.

Here in NYC, the Episcopal Church is of the Af. Cath. variety and most mainline denominations and even the Catholic Church have loads of gay friendly congregations. So here I would expect us to be more high church.

(My parish is nosebleed high and I am still adjusting to it.)

[ 21. December 2009, 16:51: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:

I could give other examples similar to the reception of Trible, who is an excellent writer and speaker.

Anglo-catholicism has a two-faced attitude to LGBTs. The more conservative churches don't mind LGBTs who are penitent or, at least, not too 'noisy' They can't cope with out gays so much - indeed many of the clergy are closet cases (suffering from internalised homophibia and also likely to be misogynist) and greatly fear those who are out.

I have heard of that criticism of Anglo-catholicism, that while it has a disproportionate number of gay men as adherents, it hasn't been historically at the forefront of actively campaigning for gay rights in the Church.

One of my friends wrote plainly that it is a rich irony listening to many conservative Anglo-catholics rant about the evils of homosexuality, while probably a substantive number of them are gay themselves.

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

I have had gay and lesbian friends in the past who were quite happy to draw on my support privately but would completely cut me dead in public in case someone from church saw them with me.

Actually, now I think of it, they weren't Anglicans - one is Presbyterian, the other is Salvation Army. But at the Anglican church I mentioned it was certainly "don't ask, don't tell" and let's all be extremely fabulous because no one will notice. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I became an Anglican (by confirmation as an adult) I was quite consciously becoming "High Church" and at the time swore blind to myself that I would have nothing to do with evangelicals ever again.

Among the elements that drew me in were:

- the sacrament of penance;

- monks and nuns (what a contrast to evo churches in which you had to be married - preferably with children - to demonstrate that you were a Real Christian);

- clergy and laity who faced the same issues as I did and had come to different answers while respecting those they disagreed with;

in short, the realisation (contrary to what I had been led to believe) that I was not predestined to be damned and that God really did love me after all.

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rosary
Shipmate
# 11914

- Posted      Profile for Rosary     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglican Catholicism is full of course of Flaming Queers, take it from me. Apart from this I have a gay colleague (semi-boss, actually) who's an atheist but likes going to church. Any church will suit, it seems, but he doesn't get very high.

Considering the gay poets (always a good idea...): G. M. Hopkins: Anglo-Cat, converted to Rome; Auden: in his own words, "Liturgically, Anglo-Catholic, but hopefully not too spiky"; Wilfred Owen: brought up evo Anglican, gave up Christianity after crisis of faith, but retained some religious feeling, and appears to have had a slight aesthetic attraction to RCism; Charlotte Mew: may well have been lesbian though there's no proof positive, and though describing herself as "a poor infidel" was drawn to Christianity, specially the RC variety. Of course the RCism I am referring to was in all cases pre-Vatican II.

Posts: 168 | From: London, England / Washington, D.C. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
brightmorningstar
Shipmate
# 15354

- Posted      Profile for brightmorningstar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The TEC with is pluralism and pansexualism has recently supported the use of tax payers money to abortion services.
For many poncing up and down in vestments and tradition is an example of lips praising God but hearts far from God.

Posts: 243 | From: London area | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

So not only do you know 'what the bible says', you also know the secrets of men's hearts?

I thought that was the prerogative of Almighty God.

--------------------

urbanbumpkin
Shipmate
# 13505

- Posted      Profile for urbanbumpkin   Email urbanbumpkin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brightmorningstar:
The TEC with is pluralism and pansexualism has recently supported the use of tax payers money to abortion services.
For many poncing up and down in vestments and tradition is an example of lips praising God but hearts far from God.

For many doing WHAT?

I have a feeling this may not mean much to you, but I think it's very unlikely I'd be a Christian if it weren't for my godfather - a gay, high church priest. Is there anyway at all you could think before being quite so painfully derogatory, especially outside of hell?

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, tax payer money already goes for abortion services in the U.S. If you have Medicaid, you can get one for any reason in about 20 states (which include the most populous states like CA, NY, IL, MA, etc.).

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparetable.jsp?cat=10&ind=458

The TEC has always called abortion a serious procedure and a tragedy but has always opposed using legal means to stop it. It's a decision between a woman and her doctor with support from her community.

quote:
All human life is sacred from its inception until death. The Church takes seriously its obligation to help form the consciences of its members concerning this sacredness. Human life, therefore, should be initiated only advisedly and in full accord with this understanding of the power to conceive and give birth which is bestowed by God. It is the responsibility of our congregations to assist their members in becoming informed concerning the spiritual and physiological aspects of sex and sexuality.

The Book of Common Prayer affirms that "the birth of a child is a joyous and solemn occasion in the life of a family. It is also an occasion for rejoicing in the Christian community" (p. 440). As Christians we also affirm responsible family planning.

We regard all abortion as having a tragic dimension, calling for the concern and compassion of all the Christian community.

While we acknowledge that in this country it is the legal right of every woman to have a medically safe abortion, as Christians we believe strongly that if this right is exercised, it should be used only in extreme situations. We emphatically oppose abortion as a means of birth control, family planning, sex selection, or any reason of mere convenience.

In those cases where an abortion is being considered, members of this Church are urged to seek the dictates of their conscience in prayer, to seek the advice and counsel of members of the Christian community and where appropriate, the sacramental life of this Church.

Whenever members of this Church are consulted with regard to a problem pregnancy, they are to explore, with grave seriousness, with the person or persons seeking advice and counsel, as alternatives to abortion, other positive courses of action, including, but not limited to, the following possibilities: the parents raising the child; another family member raising the child; making the child available for adoption.

It is the responsibility of members of this Church, especially the clergy, to become aware of local agencies and resources which will assist those faced with problem pregnancies.

We believe that legislation concerning abortions will not address the root of the problem. We therefore express our deep conviction that any proposed legislation on the part of national or state governments regarding abortions must take special care to see that the individual conscience is respected, and that the responsibility of individuals to reach informed decisions in this matter is acknowledged and honored as the position of this Church

1994 General Convention position on Abortion

It's one I agree with. We should be focusing our efforts, time and talent in preventing unwanted pregnancy in the first place.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it has to do with the accepting nature of the destination churches. TEC and the Anglican Church of Canada seem to do a good trade in ex-Roman Catholics who want the liturgy and sacramental theology but not the anti-gay stuff.

OTOH Anglican_Brat, I'm surprised how you didn't notice your own backyard. The UCCan ordains LGBT people, in fact we've ordained every single letter. I think there is a transgendered minister in Ottawa.

We tend to attract people who who come from the more fundamentalist Protestant churches like the Pentecostals. If you're gay and still want your hymn sandwich, you'll love our style.

Then again, the UCCan is a bit exceptional in that we're Hymn Sandwich Protestant, are large and mainline but are liberal and have a clear doctrine and practice on LGBT issues.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
brightmorningstar
Shipmate
# 15354

- Posted      Profile for brightmorningstar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To leo,
quote:
So not only do you know 'what the bible says', you also know the secrets of men's hearts?

I thought that was the prerogative of Almighty God.

No I was referring once again to what God says, Jesus said those who love Him do what He teaches, I can see what He teaches and what men do, the motive of their hearts I cannot judge nor them I can only judge what God says is right and worship and what God says isnt right and isnt worship.

What about you? Do you accpet that whatever anyone does that they cliam is of God is of God?

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

So you know what God says?

I happen to be against abortion except for extreme circumstances and the TEC has some very nuanced teaching and sensitive liturgies for abortion - a far cry from your accusation of bishops 'poncing around' which is as offensive as it is inaccurate.

--------------------

brightmorningstar
Shipmate
# 15354

To leo,
Well I know what God has said in His word the Bible, dont you?

I think the Bible shows us that the creation of life is in the womb so to support abortion is a major injustice the church should be speaking and advising against, in love of course.

I think Mother Teresa summed it up best.

"But I feel that the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion, because it is a war against the child - a direct killing of the innocent child - murder by the mother herself."

"Any country that accepts abortion, is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what it wants."

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."

By the way I think its utterly offenive to God for a church to support abortion, so all square. [Smile]

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by brightmorningstar:
To leo,
Well I know what God has said in His word the Bible, dont you?

I think the Bible shows us that the creation of life is in the womb so to support abortion is a major injustice the church should be speaking and advising against, in love of course.

I think Mother Teresa summed it up best.

"But I feel that the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion, because it is a war against the child - a direct killing of the innocent child - murder by the mother herself."

"Any country that accepts abortion, is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what it wants."

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."

By the way I think its utterly offenive to God for a church to support abortion, so all square. [Smile]

Wow - I largely agree with you on this one, though I wouldn't word it like you do.

However, you accused the TEC of being pro-abortion. This is not true. They do, however, offer pastoral help to those who have had abortions - just as I have done when working in a hospital chaplaincy.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, the moral question of whether abortion is right or wrong is a very different thing from the pragmatic question of whether it should be legal. I do not think that abortion is right*, but I am fairly well convinced that outlawing it is not an effective way of reducing the number of abortions that happen. I also think it's hard for followers of one religion to impose their moral standards on the rest of society, and in that case I believe that women who choose to have abortions should have them done in the safest way possible. That means having the procedure in hospital, not some unregulated back-street clinic.

So, in summary, the question of abortion is much deeper and more nuanced than simply "is it right?"

* Except perhaps in a very small number of extreme cases, and where the mother's life is sig

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting

We already have two open threads on abortion:the recent Pro-life activists Drop Pretense, Endorse Murder and the big general thread on abortion which has been running for years: Cleft lip and palate a good reason? (Abortion) (a good place for new people to get a sense of the diversity of opinion on the board by reading some of the older posts).

So please either take this discussion to one of those, if you want to discuss abortion/ pro-life activism in general, or start a new thread if you want to specifically discuss TEC and abortion. Please do not continue the abortion tangent on this thread as it is derailing it from its topic.

Thank you all!
Louise

hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Back to the topic: One (allegedly gay) bishop, asked whether he was high church or low church, said he was 'short church'.

He didn't allow services in his diocese to last longer than an hour.

Sensible bloke.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that it is fairly obvious that, in very Roman Catholic Ireland, leprechauns are very often gay.
Two of the clues they give to other gays to identify themselves are their love of rainbows, and their well-known expression, "Faith and Gomorrah!"
You could probably also add those short green pants with button flaps that drop open quickly - front and back.

[eta: Also their habit of sucking on pipes in public places]

[ 31. December 2009, 17:29: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've met plenty of gays at the liberalish end of non-conformity. On balance the URC is the most uniformly gay-friendly tradition in the UK (much more so than Anglo-Catholicism) and they're not exactly high church. The Metropolitan Community Church seems to be pretty low church too. And of course some gay Christians are pretty evangelical in the rest of their worship and theology...I used to know one actively gay Christians who was comfortably to the right of just about everyone in the Baptist church he went to. If the whole church ever comes round on the issue LGBTs will probably spread out pretty evenly across the church.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS I didn't realise how widespread the stereotype of the gay Anglo-Catholic is in the UK until it cropped up in Bridget Jones' Diary.
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moving between camps (no pun intended) in the Church of England as I do, I have met a great number of same sex orientated (open) evangelical (charismatic) people. Some single. Some partnered. Some celibate. Or a combination.

At an evangelical discusion day some years back when the subject came up a number of people on the the table said there were same sex orientated members of their congregations.

But in general such folks keep their heads down.

As others have noted, plenty of camp anglo-catholics would deny same sex orientation, and others are no more so orientated than Eddie Izzard. Just as I know plenty of 'boyish', even 'blokey' women who find their primary emotional attachment is to the opposite sex.

However the sacramental traditions seem to be more open to celibacy, singleness, companionship, community, and the idea that what we do with our bits is not the ultimate moral issue.

Indeed it is not so long ago that recreational non-pro-creative sex was viewed in such a way.

Which is probably why when anglo-catholicism adopted the protestant view of 'sex for fun being okay' that it spread beyond strict understandings of nuclear family marriage.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admittedly I haven't read the whole thread yet - but in seeing if we can spot patterns in where LGBT generally sit on the high-to-low church spectrum, has anyone asked if the relationship status is a factor? In other words, do the single people, and those who are paired off, tend to belong to the same tradition?

Of course, I don't like the thought that a single person might feel that they have to jump church just because they've entered into a relationship - but it happens, and sometimes for purely practical reasons. But my point is, those who profess to be gay, but who are nevertheless single, might not be seen as being fully gay by those of a more conservative persuasion, and may therefore find that they are more tolerated. But I don't know. I'm hypothesizing.

Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

My experience would suggest that if you're out to everyone it makes no difference. A celibate lesbian friend of mine was given just as much crap as I was (I'm in a relationship). This appeared to be on the basis that she might at some stage get into a relationship.

On the other hand, if you're not out, I guess it could make all the difference.

[ 24. January 2010, 18:38: Message edited by: Arabella Purity Winterbottom ]

--------------------

beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This whole question bugs the hell out of me, to be honest. It seems framed by the assumption that LGBT = White Gay Male Anglican, which is patently untrue.

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow the concept of being Low and Liberal never seems to get much air here on the Ship. But that's exactly what beachpsalms and my tradition is.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In my experience they tend to be 'high' because:

some like all the dressing up

some have found the sacrament of penance helpful

and because those who've gone to evangelical churches have often left the church altogether as a result of homophobia

This is all, of course, a wild generalisation.

Other reasons include the fact that Anglo-Catholic parishes from the 1840s onward reached out especially to the oppressed and the underdog, and were duly oppressed themselves by the powers-that-be in consequence.

Prim Protestants were so outraged, that I daresay if one wished to be an effective Anglo-Catholic proselyte or missionary, it certainly helped if one rather enjoyed being outrageous.

As Kenneth Leech wrote, Anglo-Catholicism is "a rebel tradition."

Also, rich liturgical worship is an expression of incarnational theology, which accepts the physical generally-- as opposed to Manichaeism and gnosticism, which encourage sex-negativism.

There are many interesting further speculations (although even a sympathetic reader might not agree with all of them) in Boston Bohemians by Douglass-Shand-Tucci.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is an interesting thread but I can only contribute some anectodological survey figures to the discussion. One RC lesbian is now in a Pesbyterian Church of Canada choir (spits on the ground in fury when a nun is sighted), two other lesbians are Unitarian having found refuge there when they came out at UU camps about 15 years ago (same year, on different sides of the country), one transgendered ftm who is a happy acolyte at a small spikey temple in Toronto, about a half dozen medium-high (smoke, BVM & BCP) male gays of all origins, two gay rosary rattling RCs (Benedictine retreats, Thomas Merton Society, ad orientem), two lesbian Antiochian Orthodox (one convert, the other Lebanese Canadian), and a gay ROCOR convert from Anglicanism. There seems to be an inclination to small congregations with close attention to the liturgy, but that may be coincidental-- a friend suggests that this is how one can establish a safe space for oneself.

I know of two closeted gays at local franchises of the Anglican Network in Canada, but I am not supposed to know about their proclivities-- one of them met me at a lavender-bowered Tory BBQ and intensely requested that I keep his identity to myself. While I know that several of the local UCC congos are well-populated by LGTBs, I don't know any personally.

Several of my lesbian friends are ex-evans, and very much on purpose. Most will pay no heed to the possible relevance (as in vehemently reject)of Christianity to themselves on account of difficulties they experienced at their churches in their youth.

I hear positive and sometimes moving comments about clerical behaviour when it matters-- clergy will speak to furious parents (e.g., a certain Orthodox bishop travelling 400km to intervene with family), carefully ensure that partners are involved at times of illness and last rites, and are honoured mourners at funerals. One friend, talking with me after his partner's requiem, said that this was the only blessing that mattered to him.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

quote:
Somehow the concept of being Low and Liberal never seems to get much air here on the Ship.
Yep, and I really have no idea why. The low church URC is by far the most consistently liberal denomination here in the UK and Methodism is likewise to left of Anglicanism on the whole. Outside England (yes there is life outside the C of E's bailiwick [Biased] ) a fair number of Welsh non-conformist and Scots Presbyterian churches are comfortably to the left of the average Anglicans. In fact the C of E is arguably the second most conservative of the main English/British Protestant denominations after the Baptist Union, and I can think of plenty of Anglicans solidly to the right of anyone in the BU. And IME 80% of Anglicans under 40 are evangelicals, so the C of E can only move to the right longterm. I really wish we could lay the myth that Anglicanism has some sort of monopoly on openess and tolerance to rest.

[ 06. February 2010, 12:16: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
[QUOTE] I really wish we could lay the myth that Anglicanism has some sort of monopoly on openess and tolerance to rest.

Or give it some substance (not that I actually think it would be good for it to have a monopoly, but you know what i mean).
Of course, 'left' doesn't always mean (all types of) liberal, does it? As you say there are quite a lot of rather lefty Welsh nonconformists- lefty in a sort of pacifist/ anti-war, internationalist, anti-social hierarchies sort of way- but I wouldn't necessarily assume that this means that thye are liberal in terms of things like sexuality.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And IME 80% of Anglicans under 40 are evangelicals, so the C of E can only move to the right longterm. I really wish we could lay the myth that Anglicanism has some sort of monopoly on openess and tolerance to rest.

I wish we could lay to rest the imported myth that evangelicals are "right wing" and theological liberals "left wing".

--------------------
Ken

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
[QUOTE] I really wish we could lay the myth that Anglicanism has some sort of monopoly on openess and tolerance to rest.

Or give it some substance (not that I actually think it would be good for it to have a monopoly, but you know what i mean).
Of course, 'left' doesn't always mean (all types of) liberal, does it? As you say there are quite a lot of rather lefty Welsh nonconformists- lefty in a sort of pacifist/ anti-war, internationalist, anti-social hierarchies sort of way- but I wouldn't necessarily assume that this means that thye are liberal in terms of things like sexuality.

TEC and the Anglican Church of Canada were among the last mainline churches to ordain women and several large denominations (including mine) have already had the "Great Debate" on sexuality. There are plenty of more liberal churches than the Anglican ones in North America.

The UCCan is lefty on both counts, but we're also most emphatically a bottom-up organization. The kind of diocese-specific styles seen in Anglicanism are almost impossible in our polity.

--------------------

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

Oh dear...I was using 'left' and 'right' in the sense of liberal or traditionalist within the church, not in terms of politics. I'm not daft enough to think that all evangelicals are politically right-wing or whatever
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Somehow the concept of being Low and Liberal never seems to get much air here on the Ship. But that's exactly what beachpsalms and my tradition is.

They used to knock around like Laurel and Hardy in the Episcopal Church.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Oh dear...I was using 'left' and 'right' in the sense of liberal or traditionalist within the church, not in terms of politics.

Well, don't then! [Razz]

Its also confusing in that it is commonin church history to talk about the more extreme Protestants in the 16th and 17th century as "the left wing of the Reformation". But of course their theological positions would count as extreme conservative.

So somewhere between about 1688 and 1988 "left" and "right" flip over and the teachings that were once "left" now become "right" and... well, its confusing!

--------------------
Ken

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Its also confusing in that it is commonin church history to talk about the more extreme Protestants in the 16th and 17th century as "the left wing of the Reformation". But of course their theological positions would count as extreme conservative.

The Anabaptists could be just about anywhere on the theological spectrum I would think.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The churchmanship of the average gay person will vary from place to place and time to time for reasons already mentioned. However, I predict a continuing tendency towards high churchmanship because of the incarnational theology behind it. If gay people are at odds with society at large, it is because of physical acts that they perform or want to perform. Any hint of Manicheanism in the latter will exacerbate and prolong this repression.

This is part of why I've always felt that when it comes to homophobia, the bark of Roman Catholics is usually worse than their bite. Despite the way that that some in the heirarchy have opportunistically turned up the volume in the past decade or two, a recent poll shows that American Roman Catholic laity are more accepting of gay people, and recognition of gay partnerships, than the average American. Their own marriages are also happier. Because of the incarnational theology that has always informed their tradition, these findings do not surprise me.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016