homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who's changed their mind about homosexuality and God? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Who's changed their mind about homosexuality and God?
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
I'm also astounded that they seem unaware of the gross damage done over many decades and centuries by people in the church (that's "the church", not the conservative christian version) professing love and compassion while in fact treating certain people in such a way that they are driven to despair and death -- sometimes at their own hands, sometimes at the hands of good "christians" who read the church's subtext as being "get the gayz".

For the record I am aware of it and I am ashamed. There is no excuse for it. That has been been said before though.

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Blaming the victim for not being strong or not realizing that the people who ostracize and maltreat them really love them, deep down, or for running when a posse is chasing after you with clubs -- seems a little...unaware of what has been happening in the real world for a good long while.

Real people have died real deaths because of what the church has said and because of how christians have acted. It would be nice to get some real acknowledgement that this has happened. And that it's not the fault of the victims.

John

Likewise. It is real. It's not the fault of the victims. When I read stories like the one Croesus linked to I feel genuinely sick that I am being presented with a version of Christianity that I don't even recognise. Again, this has been said before. Does it have to be said every time I post?
Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
And that's why I say Christian teaching is essentially a shell game. Apologists will hand wave away any teaching or behavior they don't personally like as "not really Christian", while others do the same to them for taking contrary positions. In essence this leaves Christianity an empty shell saying nothing beyond "it's nice to be nice".

I suppose that also brings out the contrast between liberal and conservative Christianity.

Liberal Christianity has the advantage of the flexibility to change its mind on this issue. However, I think it also gives way to your criticism in so doing. Only a Christian who has an objective definition of Christianity that they can refer to can legitimately say, "Hey, but that's not Christian!"

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
You can't have it both ways. You can't argue that marriage is connected to procreation and then say Oh BTW, it doesn't matter if the couple chooses not to have children. Since we do not deny marriage to couples who have no intention on having children, there is no logical reason to deny marriage to same-sex couples.

Er, that was my original point that attracted the ire of Louise, Joanna et al.

I said that I thought that marriage assumes children, I just didn't say that marriage = children.

You are really going to have to explain this a bit more.

Are you trying to say that in your view intention to have children is necessary, but not sufficient?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't ultimately matter, does it, because either way you'd still need to contort some reason why infertile couples do not invalidate the rock-solid requirement of capacity for procreation, unless the cause of their infertility is having gotten two of the same box from the Heavenly Ikea. I once read a comment on Fr Haller's blog that tried passionately to argue that infertile straight couples were still really oriented toward procreation in a way gay couples weren't, because, well, they just are, you know? When he pressed, he grasped at the argument that if worse came to worst, God could always grant a miracle as to Abraham and Sarah - Abraham and Barry being apparently just beyond His capabilities. It was clear to everyone but apparently the commenter himself that he was simply sacramentalizing penile-vaginal intercourse for its own sake. Indeed, it's clear to anyone who does not choose not to see it.

Really, it's the I've got mine-ness of it all that I think I find so viscerally frustrating - such is their regard for marriage that they cannot bear the thought of sharing it with anyone whose relationship fails to resemble their own in one, superficial respect.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
Suicide, he thought, was the only answer.

Well, he was wrong.

If Christianity changes it's collective mind and allows that homosexuality, homosexual acts, homosexual unions being called 'marriage', etc., is all ok, there will be no more violence against homosexuals, and none will commit suicide? I don't think you would get that result. Why? Because it is not Christianity that is at fault here.

Violence (including gay-bashing) is wrong. Suicide is wrong. However, those are both contrary to Christian teaching as well.

What is the root cause of violence against homosexuals? If you say it is Christian teaching, then what about Islam? Does it not also teach that? What about Judaism? Certainly there are other groups as well who hold similar beliefs relating to homosexuality. One could argue that one possible cause is a distorted/wrong understanding of Christianity. My argument is that it is not Christian teaching which causes violence towards homosexuals, because Christianity also teaches loving your neighbour, praying for those with whom you disagree, etc.

A true Christian groups all that teaching into a response towards homosexuals that is based on love, not violence and hatred. That is why I say it is not Christian teaching that causes such violence.

However, love doesn't always mean 'agreeing with'.

Look at it from this point of view:

As a young gay man, I grew up having these feelings of attraction towards other men. I never had these feelings of attraction towards women.

When another Christian tells me "I love you, but hate your sin", he or she is telling me that my feelings, my emotional state is morally wrong or sick. No matter how much he or she may profess that he or she "loves me", the fact remains that this person will always consider my emotions/mental state in error.

Moreover by demanding that I commit to a life of celibacy regardless of whether or not I discern that that is the will of God, would be to doom me to a life of loneliness and misery because I would be unable to give expression towards my desires for another. Most people have a strong longing towards uniting with another human being. Yes, this longing can only be satisfied in most cases through physical union as well as spiritual and emotional union. A few can fulfill this longing through a life of freely-chosen celibacy. But to impose celibacy on an entire group of people would no regard towards their particular vocation or personal discernment is a recipe for disastor.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Are you trying to say that in your view intention to have children is necessary, but not sufficient?

Yep, pretty much.

I am well aware that not everyone shares my definition (pace John Holding) but I would argue that it is still very much a mainstream view.

I'm not an Anglican but was married in the CofE. We had a standard ASB service at the time. I'm also very familiar with the BCP. They both explicitly state procreation as one of the purposes of marriage (not the main one, but certainly one of them).

All those Anglicans and Episcopalians out there - what do you feel when that bit is formally said at every wedding?

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
It doesn't ultimately matter, does it, because either way you'd still need to contort some reason why infertile couples do not invalidate the rock-solid requirement of capacity for procreation, unless the cause of their infertility is having gotten two of the same box from the Heavenly Ikea. I once read a comment on Fr Haller's blog that tried passionately to argue that infertile straight couples were still really oriented toward procreation in a way gay couples weren't, because, well, they just are, you know?

Can you spell this out more LQ, I don't get it?

Are you saying that being gay is a form of infertility? Or (more likely) I've completely misunderstood you?

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yep, pretty much.

I am well aware that not everyone shares my definition (pace John Holding) but I would argue that it is still very much a mainstream view.

I'm not an Anglican but was married in the CofE. We had a standard ASB service at the time. I'm also very familiar with the BCP. They both explicitly state procreation as one of the purposes of marriage (not the main one, but certainly one of them).

All those Anglicans and Episcopalians out there - what do you feel when that bit is formally said at every wedding?

Right, okay. I can see how you might have interpreted my comments as ascribing a different view to you. Not intentional.

Obviously my view is that it's not necessary.

As to whether your view is a mainstream view... well, it's clearly NOT reflected in the law so you might want to think about how that happened if your view is as mainstream as you think.

And as to the prayer book, when I realised that the critical bit in Genesis 2 says nothing about procreation I went and asked my Anglican Minister about the basis for that part of the marriage service. Didn't get much of an answer. I'm not sure whether I've been to a wedding since I asked him.

I asked about it here on the Ship once as well, I recall getting some responses but nothing terribly definitive one way or the other.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

I'd completely forgotten about the fact that an old friend of my mother's is getting married soon.

She retired a couple of years ago, after spending several decades working as a Bible translator. Never married.

The man she's marrying is a widower. He and his wife worked as missionaries. He's got 4 children in his 40s.

I don't think that Mum is in touch enough to go to the wedding (think it will be in another city), but I almost wish I could get her to report on that bit of the service. Will they all have a chuckle about it? Probably.

Will anyone, when given the opportunity to say why the 2 of them shouldn't get married, say something about how it'd take a miracle for their to be any children from the marriage?

I doubt it. But even if they did, how is that any different to the possibility of a miracle for those of us with the wrong combination of plumbing? If God is in the miracle business, he's in the miracle business.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

There is nothing inherently heterosexual about a virgin birth.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people are given to glutony. Do they get beat up and commit suicide because the church teaches it is a sin?

Some people are given to gossip. Do they get beat up and commit suicide because the church teaches it is a sin?

Some people are compulsive liars. Do they get beat up and commit suicide because the church teaches it is a sin?

Some people don't honour their parents, worship idols, covet their neighbour's possessions, etc. Do they get beat up and commit suicide because the church teaches they are sins?

No. No. No. and No.

So, the causal link you wish to draw between homosexuality being sinful and homosexuals being beaten up and commiting suicide cannot be made logically. The church* is not to blame.

* There may be some who attend church who commit such attrocities, but that action, as I have said, is also condemmed by the church. I would argue, however, that the vast majority of gay-bashing is by non-Christians who have no regard for Christian teaching or principles.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
And as to the prayer book, when I realised that the critical bit in Genesis 2 says nothing about procreation I went and asked my Anglican Minister about the basis for that part of the marriage service. Didn't get much of an answer. I'm not sure whether I've been to a wedding since I asked him.

Actually the Genesis 2 bit says nothing about marriage (not as a civil institution that is) - it only talks about sex. I can't really comprehend anyone reading that before about 1960 and not assuming that procreation was a very likely consequence.

And as far as the virgin birth bit goes doesn't it have to happen to be a miracle? I don't think hypothetical miracles count. I'm not being flippant here - God could do just about anything hypothetically. I am aware of couples conceiving 'miraculously' - and the scriptures are replete with them - but I'm not aware of this ever happening to a gay couple. I don't get the point you are making - i.e. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, just confused as to why you think this is significant.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Some people are given to glutony. Do they get beat up and commit suicide because the church teaches it is a sin?

Some people are given to gossip. Do they get beat up and commit suicide because the church teaches it is a sin?

Some people are compulsive liars. Do they get beat up and commit suicide because the church teaches it is a sin?

Some people don't honour their parents, worship idols, covet their neighbour's possessions, etc. Do they get beat up and commit suicide because the church teaches they are sins?

No. No. No. and No.

To be fair to LQ and others I think that is the point they are making. Doesn't the very fact that other groups generally don't commit suicide suggest that this is a different issue?

It does to me anyway.

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...To be fair to LQ and others I think that is the point they are making. ...

Oh, but it is. They clearly have stated that it is due to the church teaching on homosexuality that homosexuals are beaten up and commit suicide.

If that was the case, it would hold true for other things the church calls sins. Since it doesn't hold true, their claim is obviously false.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er no, stuff like that most certainly does work, what you need to do is single out not a sin which everyone is prone to but one that tars a particular minority group, ask European Jews and Scottish Catholics how that worked. We used to have groups stoning catholic religious processions in the name of religion down til the 1930s under the name Protestant Action and we still have sectarian attacks. There is no doubt that the anti-catholic teaching was started and perpetuated by the church - there was appalling and well documented anti catholicism even among ministers at that time. When the church backed away from it the teaching had been so long and so pervasive in Scotland that it lingered in yahoo football supporters and groups like orange Lodges who still claim their religious connection.

Anti-gay prejudice has worked in a similar manner. the churches which first spread the rot are starting to recover but they've left a hell of a legacy that will take a long time to clear up.

L.

[ 19. October 2010, 12:35: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The churches don't exclude people from worship for gluttony, sharkshooter. Some of them do s exclude people for living in a gay relationship, or single them out in the congregation for abuse if they do so. I can think of 8 examples without really trying. I can't think of a single example of a church banning someone for the other things or targeting individual people for them. It becomes very, very personal indeed if you're not able to worship because you're gay.

Some churches preach against disability, i.e. disabled people are there to suffer, or disabled people brought it on themselves through sin, or disabled people are possessed by the devil, or disabled people are only disabled because their faith is too weak. I do know of disabled people who have tried to end it all or very seriously considered ending it all after this kind of abuse and rejection from some churches, including me, so there are parallels with other things.

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Er no, stuff like that most certainly does work, what you need to do is single out not a sin which everyone is prone to but one that tars a particular minority group, ask European Jews and Scottish Catholics how that worked. We used to have groups stoning catholic religious processions in the name of religion down til the 1930s under the name Protestant Action and we still have sectarian attacks. There is no doubt that the anti-catholic teaching was started and perpetuated by the church - there was appalling and well documented anti catholicism even among ministers at that time. When the church backed away from it the teaching had been so long and so pervasive in Scotland that it lingered in yahoo football supporters and groups like orange Lodges who still claim their religious connection.

Anti-gay prejudice has worked in a similar manner. the churches which first spread the rot are starting to recover but they've left a hell of a legacy that will take a long time to clear up.

You have it in a nutshell.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sharkshooter: Liars, gluttons, gossips and so on aren't singled out from the congregation in the same way that homosexuals are. Nor do people campaign for gluttons not to be allowed to get married and/or adopt children. People don't twist, distort or invent evidence to make gossipy people look like monsters. Church leaders don't go over to countries where the death penalty is being presented as an option for lying, and give inflammatory speeches on bogus "cures" for lying, in a way that suggests that the most brutal punishments are indeed justified. People don't tend to throw their kids out of the house for gossip. They don't campaign for children to be kept unaware of the existence of fat people so that they don't learn gluttony from them.

There is a weight of evidence to suggest that conservative churches that believe homosexuality is wrong believe that it is much more wrong than these other things: a serious moral and spiritual disease rather than a regular human foible. I have met gay Christians who have been harassed, humiliated and driven out of churches and told never to return because of their sexuality. I have met (straight, as far as I know) Christians who will not so much as say hello to someone they know is gay, even if they're single, in case that basic decency is seen as condoning the sexuality.

This kind of treatment is why gay people often suffer to the point of being suicidal. And this kind of treatment is, in my view, much more damaging in the long run than the risk of being punched at 2am by a drunken lowlife because you're gay. If gossips, liars and so on don't become suicidal I'm pretty sure it's because they aren't treated like this. In many cases, they're put in the top positions in churches and greatly admired.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, even: how did the church get into the business of condemning people on the basis of their alleged sins, anyway? And who picks out which sins are especially problematic, BTW?

I seem to remember a little something about not casting the first stone? And, yes: even if you continue to think homosexuality is a sin, that applies here, too. Where is grace? Where is love?

What you're not seeing, at all, is that when you tell people that their feelings of love - their best feelings, that is - are evil, well, then: how can they ever do anything that's good and right? If the best gay people have to offer is total abomination, how can we ever be a positive part of society? If God hates us when we're in love - well, we might as well just jump off the bridge, then, because we can obviously never do anything to make things right. And, as the man in the video said, how can we live with the idea that we are going to be the cause of disastrous harm coming to others? Keep in mind that many, many gay people recognize that they have feelings for others of their own gender when pretty young; I became aware of this when I was about 7 or 8 years old, even though I didn't have the words for it then (partly because at that point it was topic never spoken of).

The sin is that the church continues in its anti-gay teaching, when it's become blindingly obvious how much damage it does and continues to do.

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
The sin is that the church continues in its anti-gay teaching, when it's become blindingly obvious how much damage it does and continues to do.

Since we obviously understand each other's position, but are at an impasse, I think I will have to sign off.

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Since we obviously understand each other's position, but are at an impasse, I think I will have to sign off.
Yes, there really isn't much middle ground on this topic, I agree. The Christian churches can either choose to remain oblivious to the pain and death this teaching causes, or become aware of it and stop.

[ 19. October 2010, 14:31: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, there really isn't much middle ground on this topic, I agree. The Christian churches can either choose to remain oblivious to the pain and death this teaching causes, or become aware of it and stop.

I think Sharkshooter's point is that all the extra shit that gays have to deal with and gossips don't does not follow inevitably and necessarily on homosexuality being contrary to a church's teaching. He's not saying that it doesn't exist. He's not saying that it's right. He's saying that it is (at least theoretically) possible for a church to condemn a form of sexual conduct and yet not treat the people who do it in the way that many churches have treated gays.

Louise's point that homosexuality is a 'sin' of a minority group, not a failing common to all humans, is a good one. It means that a Christian minister convinced of the sinfulness of homosexuality, but knowing that neither he nor most of his congregation would be tempted by it, ought to approach the subject with the greatest humility and sensitivity. I don't think that it establishes that the churches all ought to accept homosexuality unreservedly. There's clearly an issue to be addressed, if one takes the Bible as authority, and the case for acceptance is not proven by the mere fact that many non-acceptors have acted appallingly.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:

I think Sharkshooter's point is that all the extra shit that gays have to deal with and gossips don't does not follow inevitably and necessarily on homosexuality being contrary to a church's teaching. He's not saying that it doesn't exist. He's not saying that it's right. He's saying that it is (at least theoretically) possible for a church to condemn a form of sexual conduct and yet not treat the people who do it in the way that many churches have treated gays.

Louise's point that homosexuality is a 'sin' of a minority group, not a failing common to all humans, is a good one. It means that a Christian minister convinced of the sinfulness of homosexuality, but knowing that neither he nor most of his congregation would be tempted by it, ought to approach the subject with the greatest humility and sensitivity. I don't think that it establishes that the churches all ought to accept homosexuality unreservedly. There's clearly an issue to be addressed, if one takes the Bible as authority, and the case for acceptance is not proven by the mere fact that many non-acceptors have acted appallingly.

OK. I really do appreciate that you see the deadly consequences of the church's actions; I really do.

But the "temptation" you refer to here isn't anything but the massively ordinary hope and desire to love and be loved in return - and I think you're really underestimating the effects of this kind of prohibition.

The church only really has one choice, as far as I can see, since trying to turn gay people straight quite evidently doesn't work for 99.99% of people - and forcing people into marriages that will almost certainly be marriages in name only isn't really a workable solution either (and could quite often be disastrous for everybody).

That is, the church will have to forbid gay people from ever having a physically-intimate relationship of any kind, ever - and more, even the hope of ever having one. No dating, ever. No first kiss, ever. No holding hands, no loving embrace - ever. This is the Catholic position; that this kind of existence is right and good for gay people (and gay people alone, BTW). In fact, in past decades, I've actually considered this approach "humane" compared to how the rest of the church behaved. The Catholic Church recognized the fact of homosexuality, and said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it by itself - only that it was "disordered" (which, BTW, many of took to mean "mentally unbalanced," since we're not Catholic theologians) and shouldn't be acted upon.

But do you not see the problem, even here? That - for very little reason - gay people are again singled out as unworthy and punished severely for something that we haven't chosen and that in fact harms nobody else? That we're being asked to live lives that most heterosexuals would consider unlivable and in fact subhuman?

MrsDoyle
Shipmate
# 13579

- Posted      Profile for MrsDoyle   Author's homepage   Email MrsDoyle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Roman Church goes further than saying we are "intrinsicaly disordered", the current pope added a very nasty caveat :
-Ratzinger, in fact, apparently worried that the 1975 statement did not go far enough. He noted that in the public discussion that followed the Declaration, “an overly benign interpretation was given to the homosexual condition itself, some going so far as to call it neutral, or even good.” For the sake of removing ambiguity, he went on to write, “Although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder.”
Even in celebacy it would seem just being gay is not nuetral and we have a greater tendency to "moral evil"

Posts: 343 | From: Manchester.England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But do you not see the problem, even here? That - for very little reason - gay people are again singled out as unworthy and punished severely for something that we haven't chosen and that in fact harms nobody else? That we're being asked to live lives that most heterosexuals would consider unlivable and in fact subhuman?

Yes, I do see the problem. And I am not arguing that homosexuality is a sin.

I do think, though, that someone ought to be able to hold the opinion that it is, without being responsible for all the evil stuff that others who have held that opinion have inflicted.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by MrsDoyle:
The Roman Church goes further than saying we are "intrinsicaly disordered", the current pope added a very nasty caveat :
-Ratzinger, in fact, apparently worried that the 1975 statement did not go far enough. He noted that in the public discussion that followed the Declaration, “an overly benign interpretation was given to the homosexual condition itself, some going so far as to call it neutral, or even good.” For the sake of removing ambiguity, he went on to write, “Although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder.”
Even in celebacy it would seem just being gay is not nuetral and we have a greater tendency to "moral evil"

Yes. Fortunately James Alison has torn this "reasoning" to shreds.

quote:
Please notice that there are two logical barriers which the ecclesiastical argument cannot jump without falsifying it’s own doctrine. The first is this: The Church cannot say “Well, being that way is normal, something neutral or positive, the Church respects it and welcomes it. The Church only prohibits the acts which flow from it”. This position would lack logic in postulating intrinsically evil acts which flow from a neutral or positive being. And this would go against the principle of Catholic morals which states that acts flow from being – agere sequitur esse. The second barrier is this: the Church cannot say of the homosexual inclination that it is a desire which is in itself intrinsically evil, since to say this would be to fall into the heresy of claiming that there is some part of being human which is essentially depraved – that is, which cannot be transformed, only covered over.

[The] characterisation of the gay or lesbian person as a defective heterosexual is absolutely necessary for the maintenance of the prohibition, as the authors indicate with the “must be considered” of their phrase. The problem is that, for the characterisation to work properly within the doctrine of original sin and grace, it would have to be the case that the life of grace would lead the gay or lesbian person to become heterosexual in the degree of his or her growth in grace. That is to say, in the degree to which grace makes us more patient, faithful, generous, capable of being good Samaritans, less prisoners of anger, of rivalry and of resentment, just so would it have to change the gender of the persons towards whom we are principally attracted. The problem is that such changes do not seem to take place in a regular and trustworthy way, even amongst the United States groups which promote them with significant funds and publicity. As the senior representatives of such groups indicate: at most, and in some cases, a change in behaviour is produced, but the fundamental structures of desire continue to be towards persons of the same sex.

This then is the conflict: for the prohibition of the acts to correspond to the true being of the person, the inclination has to be characterised as something objectively disordered. However, since the inclination doesn’t alter, unlike desires which are recognisably vicious, the gay or lesbian person would have a desire which is, in fact, intrinsically evil, an element of radical depravity in their desire. And we would have stepped outside Catholic anthropology. Or, on the other hand, the same-sex inclination is simply something that is, in which case grace will bring it to a flourishing starting from where it is, and with this we would have to work out which acts are appropriate or not, according to the circumstances, and we will have stepped outside the absolute prohibition passed on to us by tradition.

[ 19. October 2010, 16:53: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

More from Alison and an article called "Unbinding the Gay Conscience." (And this "binding" has been the fact of gay life vis a vis the church ever since I first came into contact with church teachings on the topic - and that's 30 years or so now.)

quote:
A bound conscience is one which cannot go this way or that, forward or backwards, is paralysed, scandalized. In that sense it is a form of living death, and those afflicted by it are living dead, and many of us are or have been such people. For example: we are familiar with the notion of a ‘double-bind’ or a ‘Catch 22 situation’. A bound conscience is a sense of being formed by a double-bind or a series of double binds. For instance: ‘My command is that you should love-but your love is sick’; or, ‘You should just go away and die-but it is forbidden to kill yourself’; or ‘The only acceptable way for me to live is a celibate life, but if they knew who I really was, they wouldn’t allow me to join’, or ‘Of course you can join, but you mustn’t say who you really are’; or ‘You cannot be gay, but you must be honest’. Many of us have been inducted into such patterns of desire over time. They classically follow the form, ‘Imitate me, do not imitate me’. If you find yourself drawn towards someone, and yet the underlying message is, ‘Be like me, do not be like me’, you will be scandalised, eventually you will judder to a halt, unable to move forwards or backwards.

What I would like to suggest is that in all these cases we are dealing with a self that has been formed by being given contradictory desires without being given any ability to discern where they might appropriately be applied. In other words, two instructions are received as on the same level as each other, pointing in two different directions at once, and the result is paralysis. This is what σκάνδαλον-skandalon-refers to in the New Testament-scandal, or stumbling block. Someone who is scandalised is someone who is paralysed into an inability to move. And the undoing of σκάνδαλα-skandala – which means the unbinding of double binds that do not allow people to be, is what the Gospel is supposed to be about.

I want to make it quite clear that we are dealing with something very basic and central to the Gospel here. It is perfectly possible to present the Gospel in such a way that it is a sort of double-bind. Any sort of presentation of the Christian faith which says, ‘I love you but I do not love you’, or ‘I don’t love you as you are, but if you become someone different I will love you’, is in fact preaching a double-bind, a stumbling block, a pathway to paralysis.

Let’s imagine the conversation between a false god and the self:

False god: I want to love you, but I can’t love you as you are, because you are sinful and objectively disordered.

Self: Well, what then must I do to be loved?

False god: You must become someone different.

Self: I’m up for it, show me how.

False god: Love isn’t something that can be earned, it just is.

Self: Well then how do I become the sort of person who can be loved?

False god: If I were you I would start somewhere else.

Self: That’s a great help. How do I start somewhere else?

False god: You can’t, because even starting off for somewhere else starts from you, and you can’t be loved.

Self: Well if I can’t start off from somewhere else, and I can’t start off from where I am, what can I do?

False god: Give up on the love thing; just obey and be paralysed.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yup, when I was faced with it during the Section 2A referendum in Scotland, it became a real deal breaker for me on biblical authority. There was simply no way I could pretend that it was OK to make decisions on this by referring to 1st century or earlier texts and saying 'Well, that nails it', the gap in cultural context and understanding of sexual orientation and gender roles is just too large.

Later I would find out that during that period when conservative Scots Christians queued to write to the letter pages and denounce gay and lesbian people across the media from TV to tabloid newspaper, the number of attacks on gay people went up. To those of you who want to claim this sort of thing doesn't happen, I can only say, it happened here.

It made me realise that as a historian I couldn't say that we understood the context of the biblical texts in question fully or properly. Even if, suppose we could say that we did, and there was an unambiguous condemnation of what we understand as gay relationships, and that Paul thought it was a 'Bad Thing' I realised that this could still never be enough to make me turn on people I knew to be good and loving and harming no-one. I always think the ultimate check on biblical interpretation should be this - if you are obviously harming your neighbour, and not because you have a duty to protect other innocent people, then somehow, however right you think you are, you're doing it wrong.

This is also why I have little patience with attempts to take us back into the 1st arts philosophy classroom and to claim we have to establish a foolproof basis of all morality before we take our foot off the neck of our neighbour. Firstly, I don't think such a thing exists, so this is pretty much saying 'let's put it off til Doomsday', secondly we don't say 'let's convene a seminar and establish the basis of morality' before we feed the poor or clothe the needy, do we? I bet that's not your normal response, Johnny, to finding out that people about you are suffering. I bet you're one of the first people to help others and probably do a lot more of that than an obsessive historian-type like me who too easily goes chasing historical research in her spare time. I bet Sharkshooter is a far better more practical person who does far more good than me too.

And I suppose this is why the seeming mis-match hurts and bewilders. I do think it ultimately comes down to questions of biblical authority, just as it does on creationism. I find it bewildering that in the face of such a plethora of observational evidence that you can't read Genesis literally, that people still do. I find it bewildering having known lots of 'Out' gay people for over 25 years that anyone can think there is any harm in their relationships or that they're a worthy target for denying love, family and intimacy.

On the other hand, I do see from following these issues for a long time that for some people the idea of biblical authority cuts, if I can put it this way, the Gordian knot of human moral complexity. Instead of wrestling with the fact that there is no one grand over-arching theory of morality which allows us to get everything right, people want to ascribe that value to the Bible, claiming this removes subjectivity,and provides an objective standard of morality.

It doesn't. It simply means you have for whatever reason picked a set menu of texts to follow from which you wish to derive a moral code, where others will not derive their moral code from a single source. You still have to interpret these texts, you still have to use history and linguistics to get at what they mean, these are still subjective endeavours. Also you don't escape the responsibility of subjective human choice, because you've still made a fallible human choice to go for this set text as opposed to other set texts and non set-text models. The trouble with the single ancient set-text model is that if you stick to it too closely, it can't easily correct for errors which come out of historical contexts now almost inaccessible to us. Biblical interpretation needs some external checks and balances.

I could easily sit as a church historian, and list plenty of dreadful and cruel things nice, good, devout people did on the basis of biblical interpretations they thought were sound. That's what troubles me, and in this issue I see it very starkly indeed, that it seems to me that people allow a nice neat theory of authority and morality to blind them to doing things which are obviously cruel, because to admit that the nice neat theory, so fruitful and good for them in other ways, has problems too and is not entirely all-sufficient and infallible is too troubling a thing for them.

Which do you choose, the integrity of your theory or the suffering of your gay neighbour? I decided my off-the-peg system of scriptural morality had to go. The problems of transposing what is right in one ancient historical context into a vastly different culture, time and state of anthropological knowledge made that approach no longer tenable for me, but I know for lots of people that won't be an option

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's obviously a great deal to cover here, but I want to draw attention to an important point Eliab makes, perhaps unwittingly, but still very astutely.

quote:

I do think, though, that someone ought to be able to hold the opinion that it is, without being responsible for all the evil stuff that others who have held that opinion have inflicted.

Yes - undoubtedly one ought to be able hold that opinion without incurring such responsibility. But the historical record shows that, as a matter of fact, the traditional Christian approach of trying to hold this position as a matter of doctrine while practicing respect and compassion for gay people on the ground, has not worked. The people who feel driven to seek recourse to suicide clearly are not able to navigate successfully the tension between the two hemipsheres of this position. So Johnny and sharkshooter and those who are like minded have a choice: as the bodies pile up they can stamp their feet and protest "But the Church ought to be able to teach this view without causing deaths" or they can say, "Well, whether we ought to or not, obviously we can't in fact do so, so let's get back to the drawing board and re-strategize instead of arguing about the fairness or unfairness of the empirical fact that we are not so able, even if we believe we 'ought' to be." And dead bodies are about as empirical as facts come.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

quote:

Are you saying that being gay is a form of infertility? Or (more likely) I've completely misunderstood you?

No, you understand me. While the circumstances of an infertile straight couple and a gay couple are certainly different, they are both in the position of being unable to produce children naturally for reasons for reasons beyond their control or culpability, and so in that sense I cannot say that they are different in a morally relevant sense.
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yep, pretty much.

Well, in the Anglican CHurch of Canada, at many marriages -- particularly of women past menopause and men past, say, 65 -- it isn't read, in accordance with the rubrics which direct that it not be read in such cases (although I don't believe the rubric limits the omission only to old age). I'm reasonably certain that in the case of a couple which was medically unable to have children, regardless of age, it wouldn't be read. And I'm also reasonably certain that it is frequently omitted for all sorts of reasons as well.

I'm also reasonably sure that, regardless of what the rubrics may say -- that's also the practice in the CofE -- especially considering what shipmates from the CofE have taught me about the zeal and frequency with which rubrics and canons in the CofE are disreagrded and ignored.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the same in the Episcopal Church USA. The section about procreation is optional. Generally when the priest discusses the ceremony with the couple, they make a decision whether to include it or exclude it. [See: Book of Common Prayer: Holy Matrimony (Warning PDF!) page 429, 2nd to the last paragraph.)

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case in most modern Prayers books throughout the developed world (England's "Common Worship", Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, etc.)

[ 19. October 2010, 20:03: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
[See: Book of Common Prayer: Holy Matrimony (Warning PDF!)

I note especially the following prayer, which corresponds to a similar one in the Canadian rite:

quote:
Bestow on them, if it is your will, the gift and heritage of children, and the grace to bring them up to know you, to love you, and to serve you. Amen.
The grace invoked is to "bring them up" - the actual biological act is not referenced. This hardly seems in appropriate: as too many teenagers have learned the hard way, the prerequisites for conception are depressingly trivial compared to the grace required to be a good parent over the long haul. Sadly, there are clearly still those whose theology of marriage is largely reducible to the ability to get it up.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

quote:
quote:

This is one of the clues that the "conservative" position is not a "faithfully-held position of conscience." Faced with hard questions about their position that they cannot answer satisfactorily, its proponents simply declare an "impasse" (meaning that they've run out of counter-arguments) and offer to "agree to disagree" (meaning to retain their position after it has outlived the arguments they gave in support of it). Sincere positions are discarded when they can no longer be accounted for. I'm reminded of the Jon Stewart joke about the Iraq War: "I'm sure if they knew we would find out there were no WMDs, they would have changed their mind - about the reason they were invading."

The fact is that people have made up their minds that gay relationships are wrong and will simply back-track the evidence to fit that view rather than vice versa. For some reason, discussions of sexuality has a tendency to switch off our reasoning faculties, and in the case of homosexuality causes even otherwise eminent theologians to take positions that wouldn't hold up in a first-year critical thinking class.

The impasse is that want to deny gay people the opportunity to form permanent monogamous relationships, but can't consistently do so in a way that salvages other relationships you wish to sanction but which are just as vulnerable to your arguments as gay ones. The solution to the impasse is to revise your position, and if this were merely an honest intellectual enterprise that's what you would do. But it's clear that the preservation your negative opinion of homosexuality is more important to you than its accuracy - and that is why it cannot be other than a disingenuous argument.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

Later I would find out that during that period when conservative Scots Christians queued to write to the letter pages and denounce gay and lesbian people across the media from TV to tabloid newspaper, the number of attacks on gay people went up. To those of you who want to claim this sort of thing doesn't happen, I can only say, it happened here.

Actually I was living in Edinburgh at the time and I remember it well. I can't remember the name of tabloid at the moment but I do remember the media campaign. From my recollection it would be fair to saying that plenty of Christians were naive in playing the media's game but I don't think it is fair to say that the acts happened because some Christians thought homosexuality is a sin.

quote:
This is also why I have little patience with attempts to take us back into the 1st arts philosophy classroom and to claim we have to establish a foolproof basis of all morality before we take our foot off the neck of our neighbour. Firstly, I don't think such a thing exists, so this is pretty much saying 'let's put it off til Doomsday', secondly we don't say 'let's convene a seminar and establish the basis of morality' before we feed the poor or clothe the needy, do we? I bet that's not your normal response, Johnny, to finding out that people about you are suffering. I bet you're one of the first people to help others and probably do a lot more of that than an obsessive historian-type like me who too easily goes chasing historical research in her spare time. I bet Sharkshooter is a far better more practical person who does far more good than me too.

That is a really good point.

Although I suppose this fits into the "when I feed the poor they call me a saint, but when I ask why they are poor they call me a Communist" type discussion.

You are right that our reaction to suffering should not be theorising but should be action. Therefore the church should be at the fore-front of helping the gay community - especially those close to suicide. The theorising comes in when deciding whether communism is the answer to what's causing it or not.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
This is one of the clues that the "conservative" position is not a "faithfully-held position of conscience." Faced with hard questions about their position that they cannot answer satisfactorily, its proponents simply declare an "impasse" (meaning that they've run out of counter-arguments) and offer to "agree to disagree" (meaning to retain their position after it has outlived the arguments they gave in support of it). Sincere positions are discarded when they can no longer be accounted for.

No. You cannot have your cake and eat it LQ.

On several occasions, even on this thread, I've been asked why I bother posting on this thread if I haven't changed my mind yet. Intransigence and remaining in the discussion has been repeatedly cited as evidence for how callous I must be.

When someone like Sharkshooter treats individuals with respect don't confuse that with copping out of the discussion. This issue is not just about 'communities', it is about individuals too. I may 'agree to disagree' with someone when I can see that they are getting personally distressed by my arguments but that doesn't (necessarily) mean that I'm no longer able to account for my position.

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Because you've hit upon the problem for Christianity and homosexuality. I'm increasingly becoming convinced that there is no way for a Christian to both uphold traditional teaching on homosexuality and be faithful to Christ's command to love God and to love neighbor.

Homosexuality is not the same thing as gossip, gluttony, or any other trait that the Church traditionally condemns. In those cases, the Church provides a pastoral response that allows a person to fully repent of this trait and be faithful to one's integrity. What LGBT people are saying is that to conform to the traditional teaching on homosexuality requires one to violate one's own integrity. In essence you are asking us to violate the commandment to bear false witness to be faithful to Romans 1.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
And as far as the virgin birth bit goes doesn't it have to happen to be a miracle? I don't think hypothetical miracles count. I'm not being flippant here - God could do just about anything hypothetically. I am aware of couples conceiving 'miraculously' - and the scriptures are replete with them - but I'm not aware of this ever happening to a gay couple. I don't get the point you are making - i.e. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, just confused as to why you think this is significant.

I think you rather missed the point that many people believe it already HAS happened once.

There's a serious theological question there. If God thinks that heterosexual sex is so incredibly vital and important, why did he completely bypass it himself?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

To put it in similar language to we were using before: God apparently thinks that heterosexual sex might be sufficient for procreation, but it's not necessary.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
quote:
quote:

Because you've hit upon the problem for Christianity and homosexuality. I'm increasingly becoming convinced that there is no way for a Christian to both uphold traditional teaching on homosexuality and be faithful to Christ's command to love God and to love neighbor.

Homosexuality is not the same thing as gossip, gluttony, or any other trait that the Church traditionally condemns. In those cases, the Church provides a pastoral response that allows a person to fully repent of this trait and be faithful to one's integrity. What LGBT people are saying is that to conform to the traditional teaching on homosexuality requires one to violate one's own integrity. In essence you are asking us to violate the commandment to bear false witness to be faithful to Romans 1.

Also, almost all of the Romans 1 vices are things that are obviously harmful. Homosexuality, at least as we understand it, doesn't physically harm anyone. Push to shove, the only arguments for harm I've heard are existential or posthumous (meaning you go to hell for being unrepentantly gay.) Being a malicious slanderer, gossip, a crafty covetous person, etc. These things are pretty obviously vices, but homosexuality between two people who love each other as if they were functionally married? Even before I decided that there was nothing wrong with being a gay Christian, that one always puzzled me. Might be a Keryg thread there...

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
This is one of the clues that the "conservative" position is not a "faithfully-held position of conscience." Faced with hard questions about their position that they cannot answer satisfactorily, its proponents simply declare an "impasse" (meaning that they've run out of counter-arguments) and offer to "agree to disagree" (meaning to retain their position after it has outlived the arguments they gave in support of it). Sincere positions are discarded when they can no longer be accounted for.

No. You cannot have your cake and eat it LQ.

On several occasions, even on this thread, I've been asked why I bother posting on this thread if I haven't changed my mind yet. Intransigence and remaining in the discussion has been repeatedly cited as evidence for how callous I must be.

When someone like Sharkshooter treats individuals with respect don't confuse that with copping out of the discussion. This issue is not just about 'communities', it is about individuals too. I may 'agree to disagree' with someone when I can see that they are getting personally distressed by my arguments but that doesn't (necessarily) mean that I'm no longer able to account for my position.

Withdrawing from the discussion because your position has not prevailed is not respect, it is copping out. It is the abdication of the responsibility of moral reasoning in order to defend one's ego from cognitive dissonance. No one is distressed by your arguments; we are distressed by your perseverance in your view in the absence of argument, as one by one they are called into serious question, and your only response is an assertion that you are able to account for your position. Well, that's good, but would you like to share that account with the rest of us? Because saying you can do it isn't the same thing.

So if, here on page 5, you can tell me why I am supposed to believe in a sadistic and arbitrary God, who wills that sexual relationships shall only take place within the context of heterosexual marriage, and then allows it to be the case that a certain proportion of people cannot fulfill that commandment, and that if they attempt to make do by forming a union with all of the features of a marriage enumerated in the Liturgy except for half of one ("procreation and bringing up in the fear of the Lord"), He views it as a sinful parody of the genuine penile-vaginal article, if you can tell me why the physical act of procreation is not only integral to the doctrine of marriage but also inseparable from each and every individual marriage - except in those cases where you think it's not - if you tell me that, and give me something, anything to go on in terms of an indication that you have an argument for all of this, then I would be absolutely ecstatic, and I say that without a trace of sarcasm.

If not, then please, just stop. Let gay people do our best to be disciples with the hand we've been dealt, and let our pastors and church families tend to us as they see fit, and take comfort that if your view is right you'll surely find out in the end and have your reward. Otherwise, you are being intransigent, you are tying up heavy burdens you have no intention of shouldering and shutting the gate to others when you will not go in, and you have no right to sit and demand that we accept your good faith as you consistently give us no evidence on which to do so.

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we just also point out the obvious at this point?

Gluttony, gossip, lying, not honouring parents, coveting neighbour's possessions, etc. are sins because they actually hurt people, undermine trust, destroy relationships and tear apart communities. You don't have to believe in God to figure that out. Most of the atheists on this board would have no trouble agreeing that these things are "sinful" (even if they use another term).

Worshipping idols puts something else (another god?) in place of the real God.

At worst, being in a monogamous gay relationship breaks a purity code. It doesn't harm anyone in any objective, measurable way. It doesn't change the focus of worship from God to another entity.

It's a purity code. Likening it with things that actually cause measurable and objective harm ensures that the conversation/debate is going to break down because they are apples to oranges comparisons.

[ 20. October 2010, 00:46: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

Just in case anybody's interested, here's something from the "New Reformation Press": - a PDF of a talk called "The Gospel for those Broken by the Church."

This guy probably isn't exactly pro-gay - he's Missouri Synod! - but at least he's speaking to real faith, and not to moralism. "Those Broken by the Church" might not be on our side, either - but they would understand, at least. At least, I think I understand them, after the experiences I've personally had with the church.

And I hate to say it, but this "Lutheranism" is the only version of Christianity that makes any real sense to me anymore. Actually, the guy says something really funny, something that gay people have been saying for decades: that we're pretty sure the "evangelical" moralists are going to be mighty surprised by who gets into heaven....

[ 20. October 2010, 01:52: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked for a Lutheran Missouri Synod church for a couple of years. Although their theology is much more conservative than mine, I was impressed at how conscious they were of how we all sin and miss the mark, and thus they were much less apt to go pointing their fingers at other people. Also, I was with them at the time of Desert Storm. At the outbreak the church had an evening service. It was not just a "protect our brave soldiers" rite. There was meditation on how war, any war, was part of the brokeness of the world. And we prayed that God would help all involved come to a peaceful resolution.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
I think you rather missed the point that many people believe it already HAS happened once.

There's a serious theological question there. If God thinks that heterosexual sex is so incredibly vital and important, why did he completely bypass it himself?

Nobody is claiming that heterosexual sex is vitally important. Jesus was never married and he even said that there will be no sex in marriage.

Heterosexual sex being important for procreation is what I thought we were discussing. I still don't see this as a serious theological question. Surely the conclusion of your argument would be something like - when a gay couple miraculously conceive this would place a divine imprimatur on gay couples having children. I'm not sure it would but isn't that where your argument is heading?

I'm not aware of any Christian seriously applying the incarnation to humanity in such a way as that sex is not really necessary for procreation. It shows that God doesn't need it sure. I can't see how you can leap from that to gay sex though.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
Withdrawing from the discussion because your position has not prevailed is not respect, it is copping out. It is the abdication of the responsibility of moral reasoning in order to defend one's ego from cognitive dissonance. No one is distressed by your arguments; we are distressed by your perseverance in your view in the absence of argument, as one by one they are called into serious question, and your only response is an assertion that you are able to account for your position. Well, that's good, but would you like to share that account with the rest of us? Because saying you can do it isn't the same thing.

(IMO) You're just digging the hole deeper here LQ.

This is an internet bulletin board. Last time I checked the posters don't get to decide if an argument is legitimate or not - not in an absolute sense at least. You obviously think that my arguments are not arguments. Your belief may even be shared by other posters on the ship but talking about an absence of argument is nothing more than bluster.

I've got to go away for the weekend tonight - I promise you that my temporary withdrawal is not copping out.

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I worked for a Lutheran Missouri Synod church for a couple of years. Although their theology is much more conservative than mine, I was impressed at how conscious they were of how we all sin and miss the mark, and thus they were much less apt to go pointing their fingers at other people. Also, I was with them at the time of Desert Storm. At the outbreak the church had an evening service. It was not just a "protect our brave soldiers" rite. There was meditation on how war, any war, was part of the brokeness of the world. And we prayed that God would help all involved come to a peaceful resolution.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing, too, and what I really appreciate - the consciousness of brokenness, and that nobody's free of it. That's what these "New Reformationists" are talking about, in fact: their contention is that the "theology of victory" (i.e., what's being preached in the churches is personal victory over sin) is a complete dead end and that the "theology of the cross" (i.e. the recognition of our weakness and brokenness - that there's no such thing as personal victory over sin) is the only way out.

What's always been frustrating to me - and to a not-negligible number of gay people, including I think quite a few on this thread - is that I'm fairly conservative myself, theologically! So I feel often like a fish out of water - not fitting in very well anywhere. Which isn't so bad, it turns out, actually - because I'm free to accept what I find from here and from there and make use of it. I'm not a "New Reformationist" either, really! - although I do believe that their notion of the "theology of the cross" is totally spot-on. There are things I really appreciate about the Catholic approach, too; people told me I'm indulging in "cafeteria Christianity" - but I don't care. The thing I dislike most, though, and am most furious with, is (American, anyway) Cultural Christianity of the alleged "Evangelical" sort. It's not religion - it's actually based on politics and a particular American culture - and has really done so much damage.

Anyway, there seems to be a growing sort of "New Reformation" movement around these days, and I'm for it - even though most of these people probably still think that "homosexuality is sin." At least they've recognized - along with us - how sick a lot of the church is today.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jesus was never married and he even said that there will be no sex in marriage.

[Eek!]
I assume you meant no sex in heaven? [Biased]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by TubaMirum:
What's always been frustrating to me - and to a not-negligible number of gay people, including I think quite a few on this thread - is that I'm fairly conservative myself, theologically!

We should form a new denomination, or movement, or something. I'm not sure we're as rare as you think...

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
quote:
Originally Posted by TubaMirum:
What's always been frustrating to me - and to a not-negligible number of gay people, including I think quite a few on this thread - is that I'm fairly conservative myself, theologically!

We should form a new denomination, or movement, or something. I'm not sure we're as rare as you think...
Word! I just realized that I'm a minority within a minority: i'm an openly gay Anglican who still fervently upholds the 1962 Book of Common Prayer. I get blamed by some of my heterosexual Anglican friends for being too damn conservative in my theology.

God has a sense of humor and irony.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016