homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Celibate partnered relationships (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Celibate partnered relationships
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church of England is on record of accepting same-sex relationships as long as they are celibate.

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean no physical affection at all? Or does it just mean no intercourse?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good question. However, it is clergy in civil partnerships who are supposed to give an undertaking to their bishops that the clerical longjohns remained all buttoned up. Lay Anglicans in civil partnerships are neither asked nor expected to abstain from sex.

I understand that bishops of the Church of England vary in their scrutiny of their civilly-partnered priests' domestic lives.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know we haven't even answered the questions in the first post, but here's another one: define intercourse.

Seriously. Without being tremendously graphic about the plumbing, it's by no means clear when you get to gay and lesbian couples exactly what fits in the definition.

On reflection, it's not 100% clear for heterosexual couples either - so long as the people in question have a bit more imagination.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most common definition of celibacy is simply "no sexual intercourse". In law these days in the UK that's defined as anything penetrative. It's sometimes also defined as anything involving one person stimulating the other person to climax, hence puzzlement about what we mean by celibate.

Where would one draw the proverbial line? That's a very good question.

Hand holding?
Kissing?
Cuddling?
Stroking of other parts of the body?
Stroking other parts of the body when that leads to excitement?

Much to contemplate.

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, in that case maybe celibacy means 'no excitement.' [Big Grin]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or 'no excitement caused by touch'. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At last we understand why so many services are so incredibly dull: the imperative not to cause excitement is weighing heavily on the minds of those conducting them.... [Razz]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Celibacy' means 'no bonking'.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Ah, but what is 'bonking'? That is the great Clintonian mystery. Is it Tab A into Slot A? Is it any action intended to stimulate the Other to orgasm?

'What is celibacy,' said jesting Pilate, and would not stay for an answer.

--------------------

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who cares what is bonking? Once reproduction is not (or no longer is if the couple is heterosexual) an issue, then all sexual connection whether it involves penetration or not is entirely recreational.

Does the couple share a bed? If not, then they could reasonably be described as "celibate".

I am sure that JJ is smart enough to have worked out the semantics and when he says he is celibate that is exactly when he means.

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Supposing they don't share a bed but they still have sex? Supposing they do share a bed but don't have sex? Not sure that bed-sharing is a particularly reliable indicator of sexual behaviour (though it's a common one)?
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Good question. However, it is clergy in civil partnerships who are supposed to give an undertaking to their bishops that the clerical longjohns remained all buttoned up. Lay Anglicans in civil partnerships are neither asked nor expected to abstain from sex.

I understand that bishops of the Church of England vary in their scrutiny of their civilly-partnered priests' domestic lives.

Well...that's just silly.

Either sexual intercourse is acceptable for same sex partners in a civil partnership or its not. It is either a sin or it isn't.

The problem is the order in which we addressed issues of homosexuality. We did it backwards. The church first needs to make up its mind on blessing same sex unions. If they are a good thing, then bless them and be done with it. If they are a bad thing, then don't allow people who are in open same sex relationships to be priests or bishops. All of the inconsistency detracts from the Church's overall position on human sexuality.

This whole issue has been approached with such an intellectual and theological laziness by all concerned. It boggles my mind. If we can't do any better, we should stop talking about an Anglican three legged stool.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

The CofE holds mystifying views about sexuality not just for clergy, but wider jobs within the CofE too. As I've said before, I was told that I could hold a particular role...but only if I could definitely confirm that I'm not actually living with a woman. If I had been, it would have been a different matter, they said. Not even a clergy role - it was a role connected with equality issues!

Ours is not to reason why....

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
The Church of England is on record of accepting same-sex relationships as long as they are celibate.

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean no physical affection at all? Or does it just mean no intercourse?

Is that likely to be a problem in (subjective) practice? Most of us have close friends, or family members, or pets, with whom we are generally able to express physical affection without being in any great danger of being thought to be engaging in sexual behaviour.

I suspect that most of us have a category of things that we would do with a sexual partner but not with a close friend. There may be a degree of variance in those categories between individuals or cultures ('sharing a bed' is probably a good example - clearly sexual to some, not necessarily sexual at all to others) but assuming minimal communication within the particular couple it ought to be possible for the individuals concerned to know whether either of them thought that a certain act was sexual or not. It's the same with friendship behaviour - there are cultures in which male friends kiss, and cultures in which they do not, but most friendships manage to get by without confusion as to whether an affectionate gesture is or is not sex.

The requirement for celibacy might be stated as "don't do anything that you personally consider to be sexual contact, or which practically everyone would consider to be so". The first clause rules out any sort of inappropropiate touching in cases where it may be hard to define in practice what the boundaries are, the second rules out the sort of contact that induces orgasms. What additional advantage would a more detailed rule provide?

The clear disadvantage of a detailed rule or test question (such as multipara's "are you sharing a bed") is that there can be genuine disagreement in good faith between different people as to whether something counts as sex. The same act can carry a different emotional weight with different people: see for example, the "is a blow-job the same as 'full' sex?" question that crops up every couple of years or so here. For some people it obviously is, for others it oviously isn't, because it can and does mean different things to different people.

We should, in my view, permit Christians to follow their consciences in freedom rather than define precisely what appropriate physical contact may be acceptable for everyone in all circumstances.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mormons deal with this of course: "what is sexual chastity"? To the sisters it is, that no one of you will have sexual intercourse except with your husband to whom you are legally and lawfully wedded. To the brethren it is that no one of you will have sexual intercourse except with your wife to whom you are legally and lawfully wedded.

Well, it USED to be that way; since 1990 it reads: You shall have no sexual RELATIONS (em. mine) except with your husband or wife to whom you are legally and lawfully wedded.

The change came about precisely because of homosexuality and oral sex (in all its varieties) being excused as NOT being "sexual intercourse" per se: and thus the door on all sex as mere "recreation" was decidedly closed....

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Mormons wanted to forbid oral sex, they needed to change the wording again after 1998 didn't they?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All these rules are crazy. Whatever happens between consenting adults should hold no concern for the rest of us.

But what worries me is how on earth they are policed?

[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Traditionally the Christian sexual ethic was that sex acts should be ordered towards procreation. Therefore pretty much any use of the genitals that can't result in babies was a Bad Thing, even for heterosexuals (unless it was being used as foreplay towards reproductive sex).

Now that Christians have largely abandoned the idea that sex has to be procreative, none of the remaining sexual prohibitions make very much sense at all, because the underlying logic has been lost.

To put it another way: if Bad Sex = non-procreative use of genitalia, then homosexual uses of genitalia are automatically wrong. But as we no longer have a coherent definition of Bad Sex, any prohibition on homosexual sex is going equally incoherent.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Indeed

So, we need to have a new rethinking and consensus on the ethics of human sexuality and the sacrament/ordinance of marriage.

--------------------

Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Indeed

So, we need to have a new rethinking and consensus on the ethics of human sexuality and the sacrament/ordinance of marriage.

IMHO, we are actually well on our way to working out a new set of norms for sexual morality as a church. These new norms for the morality of any given sexual act are:
1. the absence of force or coercion
2. a context of a loving, committed relationship between two people

Now, we just need to get the laws of our denominations and nations changed to reflect these two new norms.

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Now that Christians have largely abandoned the idea that sex has to be procreative, none of the remaining sexual prohibitions make very much sense at all, because the underlying logic has been lost.

Except those against coercion/rape and statutory rape.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Try:
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Indeed

IMHO, we are actually well on our way to working out a new set of norms for sexual morality as a church. These new norms for the morality of any given sexual act are:
1. the absence of force or coercion
2. a context of a loving, committed relationship between two people

Now, we just need to get the laws of our denominations and nations changed to reflect these two new norms.

Who is working out these new norms? What makes them the new norms? What is a loving, committed relationship? Marriage? Two teenagers going steady?

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
All these rules are crazy. Whatever happens between consenting adults should hold no concern for the rest of us.

[Eek!]

Archdeacons' visits??! [Help]
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
amber; glad you posted as you have missed the point of what I was trying to say re celibacy and relationships.

I would say that if an individual says that (s) he and his/her partner are in a celibate relationship irrespective of reproductive age, sexual preference or what-have-you, and that individual states that the 2 parties sleep apart ( and the individual is not having a bit on the side-never mind the other party) then it is reasonable to assume that the relationship is celibate.

Never mind that the biggest and most complex sexual organ is the brain.

Get me now?

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That isn't an inherent part of the question in the OP (or the answers to it). It seems to me quite sensible to ask what is acceptable for a partnership who have already voluntarily agreed to a celibate lifestyle. What is involved in making that commitment? It's not necessary for anyone else to enforce, or care about, or even know of, that commitment for the question to arise.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:

That isn't an inherent part of the question in the OP (or the answers to it). It seems to me quite sensible to ask what is acceptable for a partnership who have already voluntarily agreed to a celibate lifestyle. What is involved in making that commitment? It's not necessary for anyone else to enforce, or care about, or even know of, that commitment for the question to arise.
Fair point - but why would the anyone need to know just where two people draw the celebate line?

I'm not complaining about the OP - just bemused about the idea that the Church may want/need to know such information.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
why would the anyone need to know just where two people draw the celebate line?

They don't. That doesn't mean that the subject can't be discussed.

A similar point - when I was unmarried, I wanted to save sex for marriage. The question of "what is sex, exactly?" was a real and pressing one for me. I (and my future wife) had to sort out our own views on what sort of physical contact we were agreeing to have and not to have, given that we were signed up to a 'no sex before marriage' ethic. Part of that was discussing the question with others - not because they needed to know, but because other people's views helped us to be sure of our own. The conclusions we came to, however, were private. We weren't accountable to anyone but God and our own consciences for what we decided. And no one in fact knows (or ever will know) what that was.

It's a similar question here. It might help someone to discuss it. I think it's a interesting question - thinking about the sometimes very different emotional meanings that can attach to such things as kissing or sharing a bed is a challenge to my preconceptions. That doesn't mean that I claim the slightest right to dictate to anyone else whether they should be celibate at all, or, having decided to be celibate, what precisely that means to them.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
Part of that was discussing the question with others - not because they needed to know, but because other people's views helped us to be sure of our own. The conclusions we came to, however, were private. We weren't accountable to anyone but God and our own consciences for what we decided. And no one in fact knows (or ever will know) what that was.

That's kind of my point.

The decision to be celibate or have sex or draw the line somewhere in any relationship is personal. It only becomes an issue when there is some pressure to conform going on.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

quote:
Originally posted by multipara:
amber; glad you posted as you have missed the point of what I was trying to say re celibacy and relationships.

I would say that if an individual says that (s) he and his/her partner are in a celibate relationship irrespective of reproductive age, sexual preference or what-have-you, and that individual states that the 2 parties sleep apart ( and the individual is not having a bit on the side-never mind the other party) then it is reasonable to assume that the relationship is celibate.

Never mind that the biggest and most complex sexual organ is the brain.

Get me now?

m

Oh yes I see what you mean, but I think about it 'my way': Because of my autism needs, I can't get to sleep when alone (well, not unless I want to be awake all night). So I am quite happy to share a bed with a trusted person for a hug so I can sleep, even if it's entirely platonic. So if someone said to me "do you and your partner sleep together", they'd get a very literal and accurate answer. Even if I was celibate. Which I'm not. Might be more clear if they said 'did we have sex'.

Also (continuing to ponder), if statistics are any good, there are oodles of couples who share a bed but don't have sex, e.g. people married for a long time who can't be bothered any more.

So the presence of two people in a bed may not mean as much as people think in a variety of circumstances. If there's any Archdeacons leaping out of wardrobes and going "Aha!" at people sharing beds, they may be reaching the wrong conclusion. [Big Grin]

[ 13. July 2010, 12:51: Message edited by: amber. ]

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, the "getting an answer to the exact question you asked, not the one you thought you asked" can be an issue for people dealing with the likes of us [Biased]

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

Except those against coercion/rape and statutory rape.
Fair point - when I first composed the post I considered putting "consensual sex" instead of "sex", but it looked too unwieldy.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Augustus to shame-faced man: Have you slept with my daughter?

Man: Not slept, Caesar.

Augustus: Not slept? Not SLEPT! Is there anyone here who has not slept with my daughter?!

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
The decision to be celibate or have sex or draw the line somewhere in any relationship is personal. It only becomes an issue when there is some pressure to conform going on.

I think you're wrong. Abstinence (whether temporary pre-marriage, or permanent between same-sex partners) is anything but conformity where I live, but it remains a real and important issue for those who choose it.

But that's a side issue. My main disagreement with you is with your assertion that it is ‘crazy' to propose any rule for what celibacy means. I think that you are possibly confusing the possession of an opinion on the subject with a desire to enforce that opinion on everyone else. AFAICS, no one on this thread wants to regulate of control what other people do. There is still an interesting (and possibly useful) discussion to be had on what we think it would mean, in practical terms, to choose to live a celibate and partnered lifestyle.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is still an interesting (and possibly useful) discussion to be had on what we think it would mean, in practical terms, to choose to live a celibate and partnered lifestyle.
I agree - but if it's never going to be enforced, then why does it matter?

Of course, it could be that no-one thinks it's ever going to be enforced now. But once the consensus has been reached on what is and what isn't celibacy, and once it gets codified, you might find that opinion on whether it should be enforced or not will change at a later date.

The evangelical wing of the Anglican church would have serious egg on their faces if the powers that be did medical tests on Jeffrey John on a regular basis, but not on any other member of the ordained clergy. What's the rationale for treating Jeffrey John differently?

But of course, it would be silly to perform such medical tests if there still isn't an agreement on what is, and what isn't, celibacy.

Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

Gorblimey.

Just wondering what sort of medical tests would one do on any individual to determine whether they were having consensual sex?

The only forensic kit I've ever used is designed for assessment post sexual assault.

If the Church were being so picky, examining the sheets might be more helpful.

And yes, if anything would make the whole church, not just the evos, a laughing-stock, this would.

The truth is that JJ has disarmed them all with his honesty, he is a good priest, and and that is what threatens the factions in the C of E.

Or so it seems to me.

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

Examining the sheets?!

That'll only work if they're in bed [Biased]

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And couldn't prove that they were doing anything in there together at the same time...

I suppose you could look for evidence of anal sex but a) that's a violation of human rights where no law-breaking is concerned, b) lots of gay male relationships don't involve anal sex anyway and c) it would demonstrate to the rest of the country that the church had finally completely lost the plot.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

And I'm not sure that the latter suggestion for testing would be very handy for many lesbians, either [Disappointed]
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

*chuckle*

amber and Lip, get a grip, for goodness' sake. Get out those irony meters and clean off the rust.

If you ever have the time, read Richard Ellman's excellent biography of Oscar Wilde. Hotel sheets were looked at and evidence provided by the prosecution when Wilde was tried and convicted of 'gross indecency" It would make a cat laugh, but there you are.

As for evidence of female to female sex, we all know that as far as the church is concerned it does not exist. Don't forget that the Supreme governor VR back in the 19th century refused to make it an offence, as she could not work out the fine details.

m

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the test is whether we are willing and/or able to enforce it then most Christian teaching on personal morality is off-limits for discussion. So the natural response to "Love your neighbour as yourself" is not "Who is my neighbour?" but "Who cares, that can't be enforced".

I speak as someone who doesn't think gay partnership - celibate or not - are wrong.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

I'm still not clear on which 'it' we'd be trying to enforce anyway. Did we ever reach a vague consensus on what 'celibate' means?
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't forget that the Supreme governor VR back in the 19th century refused to make it an offence, as she could not work out the fine details.

I've never believed a word of that. I think Victoria was far too canny.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

Don't think so, ken.

Given what we know about her upbringing ( virtual solitary confinement courtesy her mother and Sir John Conroy),the track record of her uncles and her hysterical behaviour about heterosex ( the Lady Flora hastings affair), and the general cluelessness about lesbianism in an age where women were not thought to have libidos) I'd reckon she didn't know.

Mind you, HR Vicness considered herself to be above all the rules!

m

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't think so, ken.

Given what we know about her upbringing ( virtual solitary confinement courtesy her mother and Sir John Conroy),the track record of her uncles and her hysterical behaviour about heterosex ( the Lady Flora hastings affair), and the general cluelessness about lesbianism in an age where women were not thought to have libidos) I'd reckon she didn't know.

Mind you, HR Vicness considered herself to be above all the rules!

m

Vickie certainly knew and rejoiced in her own libido! Some of her comments about life in bed with Prince Albert were practically pornographic. I doubt very much that she thought herself unique.

WHether she knew about lesbianism is of course a separate matter.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always interpreted it as meaning she thought "sex" (as an activity) meant "tab a in slot b" and therefore couldn't see how there could be sex without a "tab a".

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So just wait until they've been together for 15 or 20 years, and there'll be no problem...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
quote:

So just wait until they've been together for 15 or 20 years, and there'll be no problem...
[Big Grin] Ooo I dunno about that....

I think we'd still struggle to know what forms of, or build-ups to, Outercourse (if any) would count as celibacy, though.

If Jesus reckoned that just looking at someone in a lustful way was as bad as having sex with them, then we're all doomed anyway (except for the forgiveness of God).

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

JH, this is way of topic but what the heck:

Her Royal Vicness was unique and she bloody well knew it. Don't forget that the Married Women' s Property Act was passed in her lifetime-when she had more property than anyone else in the civilised world and it was hers, not Albert's.

You may be sure that she considered her royal randiness to be something special since the wealthy of the time amused themselves with lovers not husbands (unlike her until she discovered John Brown) and the poor were too fucking exhausted to worry.

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
JH, this is way of topic but what the heck:

Her Royal Vicness was unique and she bloody well knew it. Don't forget that the Married Women' s Property Act was passed in her lifetime-when she had more property than anyone else in the civilised world and it was hers, not Albert's.

You may be sure that she considered her royal randiness to be something special since the wealthy of the time amused themselves with lovers not husbands (unlike her until she discovered John Brown) and the poor were too fucking exhausted to worry.

m

All you give me is an assertion based on your reading of her character and a bunch of ahistorical gibberish. To deal with just one pont, the wealthy did indeed amuse themselves with sex outside marriage -- men and women equally. "You may be sure" that the women who sought out lovers did so not because sex was boring and a royal pain (if you'll excuse the expression) -- they did it because they liked having sex. Just like VIctoria.

As for her role in the passage of the Married Women's Property ACt, I can assure you it was limited to signing her name on the bottom line once it had been approved in the Commons and the Lords. Her role in creation of domestic legislation was next to nil. Her role in foreign and defense matter is a different story, but the MWPA was about neither of these.

John

[ 16. July 2010, 20:53: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

JH, in the ned it's am opinion, by all means disagree and cut the huffing and puffing.

Let's get back to flogging the dead horse, shall we?

m

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016