homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » One All as Women Bishops get the OK (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: One All as Women Bishops get the OK
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jeffrey John did not get his Bishops mitre, but women do. And with a compromise that means those who can not accept the authority of a woman primate must go to her, cap in hand, to ask her to allow a male Bishop from another diocese preside in their Churches.
I wonder if the JJ thing was a set up, to allow the trads to feel they had won on something?
All very interesting!

[ 12. July 2010, 22:48: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This OP is getting lonely.

I say, Way cool! [Cool]

No doubt the CoE will be living in interesting times for a while, but still, Way cool!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Much as I am not a Christian, I think women bishops are an awesome idea.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] Great news!

[Votive] for the future and the first women bishops.

What a long time lag after the first women voters, doctors, MPs etc! It's about time.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I trust that those who don't care for the oversight of a male bishop can Ask Nicely and be allowed to import a female...
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
And I trust that those who don't care for the oversight of a male bishop can Ask Nicely and be allowed to import a female...

[Overused]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Deckhand
Shipmate
# 15545

- Posted      Profile for Deckhand   Author's homepage   Email Deckhand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

No doubt the CoE will be living in interesting times for a while

Oh yes..
[Votive]

--------------------
Lay Anglicana discussion forum and blog

Posts: 1360 | From: Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

First women bishops in the CofE but not first ever.

But [Votive] indeed.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
tomsk
Shipmate
# 15370

- Posted      Profile for tomsk   Email tomsk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, it's a surprisingly decisive move. Clearly, some will be v. unhappy. This sort of thing is a dead horse for a reason, and the CofE not going for a fudge may well (eventually) lead to clearer air.
Posts: 372 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As someone said one Goon Show: 'The plot thins'.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pro-OOW outsider's view: Good, though some more concrete provision for traddies wouldn't have done any harm....the more inflexible the pro-OOW movement in one tradition, the harder it will be to make progress in another. If those involved in the selection of bishops have any sense they'll make sure that the first women bishops are fairly traditionally evangelical or Anglo-Catholic. I'm not sure they will have sense though.

[ 13. July 2010, 06:56: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
Jeffrey John did not get his Bishops mitre, but women do. And with a compromise that means those who can not accept the authority of a woman primate must go to her, cap in hand, to ask her to allow a male Bishop from another diocese preside in their Churches.
I wonder if the JJ thing was a set up, to allow the trads to feel they had won on something?
All very interesting!

I don't think it is as simple as 'one-all'. There will be some anglo-catholics who will be happy for a Jeffrey John, but not women bishops, some evos who will be happy for women bishops but not a gay bishop, some not happy with either, some trying to work it all out and some happy with both. To create a narrative of modernisers against traditionalists is not helpful.

--------------------
You might want to visit my blog:
http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

Posts: 676 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had our first female bishop about two years ago.

I was jammed up the back of the packed Cathedral but it was an amazing experience. [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What a long time lag after the first women voters, doctors, MPs etc!

...and monarchs!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What a long time lag after the first women voters, doctors, MPs etc! It's about time.

No offense, but thats a terrible argument (and I'm very pro-OOW). You're basically berating Christians for not falling into line with the rest of (secular) society sooner. Why should we fall into line with the rest of society?

[ 13. July 2010, 08:11: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
quote:

No offense, but thats a terrible argument (and I'm very pro-OOW). You're basically berating Christians for not falling into line with the rest of (secular) society sooner. Why should we fall into line with the rest of society?
That assumes that the holy spirit is not at work in life outside the church. Maybe she's been trying desperately to get the church to look at the contribution women could make as bishops, and indeed as priests, but it's taken a very long time to get this part of it to listen - ?!

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

No offense, but thats a terrible argument (and I'm very pro-OOW). You're basically berating Christians for not falling into line with the rest of (secular) society sooner. Why should we fall into line with the resy of society?
I think it's a fair comment. It's not an argument in itself - obviously, the Church has its own reasons for doing things that are different from other segments of society, but there is also some overlap. Particularly in historically Christian societies that resisted accepting women's suffrage, or women in the workplace, etc., with biblical arguments alongside prejudices and other arguments.

It's also just a comment, not an argument (as I read it). And depending on how you understand the issues re: OOW, YMwillV.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And why the hell shouldn't the Church fall into line with the expectations and mores of (our contemporary) society?

As a female medico, I well recall all the guff as recently as 40 years ago as to the unsuitability of women in medicine (apart from tending to wimmin) and men as nurses.

Not to mention how long it took for the divines of the C of E to give the OK to the use of chloroform in childbirth , only after the Supreme Governor herself had a whiff with baby #8. Someone finally suggested that if the Almighty could sedate Adam while the rib was taken to create Eve, then it was OK to apply the knock-out drops to allay the (God-given) agony of childbirth.

m

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

As WW said - I was commenting, not arguing [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Oooop - not WW, churchgeek - same avatar!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

As usual, Britain is behind the times.

New Zealand had its first woman bishop twenty years ago.

New Zealand gave women the vote in 1893, 25 years before Britain got around to it.

On the other hand, the UK had a woman MP (Lady Astor) in 1919, 14 years before NZ (Elizabeth Reid McCombs).

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My only problem with the way the whole discussion has been conducted and reported on is that it has all centred around very un-Christian concepts of "leadership". The bishop is seen to be the "boss" of his/her diocese, and ordination to the episcopate as "promotion".

Contrary to this thinking, from the time of Gregory the Great the bishop has been seen as the "servant of the servants of God". Though as deacons and priests are also in this hierarchy of servitude, the bishop should really be called the "servant of the servants of the servants of the servants of God". In which case, we should be rejoicing that women's ministry in the CofE will, in the near future, hit an all-time low!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IMO, those against having women bishops (and some also against lower ordained women) are having it from their prejudice deep within them, not always aware of that, and also having been taught spiritually wrongly - again from away back in their lives, and so they are using what they say as "correct Christianity"/"correct biblicalism" and don't realise they are prejudiced against women's status.

In our CofE church, years ago, some people were "prejudiced" against women chalice servers when that happened, and agaist women vicars/curates, but the church has developed and those people are no longer prejudiced and accept and realise they can be blessed and learn from women as well as from men.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

I was jammed up the back of the packed Cathedral but it was an amazing experience. [Yipee] [Yipee]

Thanks for re-posting those photos, Evensong. They brought tears to my eyes yet again.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Roll on the first woman ABC.

[Yipee] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

What an interesting pointy metal crosier. I've never seen a non-wooden one before...
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
IMO, those against having women bishops (and some also against lower ordained women) are having it from their prejudice deep within them, not always aware of that, and also having been taught spiritually wrongly - again from away back in their lives, and so they are using what they say as "correct Christianity"/"correct biblicalism" and don't realise they are prejudiced against women's status.

Erm. Let me try and stay within the realms of Purgatory.

daisymay, would you like to rephrase that in any way?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to be so lax in my hosting duties. Of course, this doesn't belong here. Off to DH.

--Tom Clune, Purgatory Host

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

It's a very fair question to ask, of course. But it depends which society, secular or otherwise, you're referring to. When the Church didn't permit women to be priests back in the, let's say, 17th, 18th and 19th century, they were perfectly in line with both the religious and civic mores of contemporary society. Positively colluding with it.

No gripes about falling in line with society then, I suppose?

As everyone, including most women and even reformers, 'knew', women weren't up to the rigors physical or mental of a masculine education; were to be under the control legally and morally of their husbands, fathers or brothers, and most certainly would never have entertained the idea of being a doctor, lawyer, politician etc.

Again, I don't recall or read anywhere that the Church was interested in a counter-culture then.

Remember the angst around getting Henry VIII a son for an heir? When first Mary came to the throne then Elizabeth, things hadn't changed. Despite her awesome education and abilities Elizabeth was a woman and patently to her contemporaries unfit to rule. Even in one of her most famous speeches she still saw fit to apologise for having the body of a 'weak and feeble woman'; and many of her troubles were connected with the fact that she sometimes made her own decisions and would not be guided by her male advisers (from their point of view, naturally).

To say nothing of the 3-ringed circus surrounding her 'duty' to marry and breed a male heir for the country. Admittedly that would've happened had she been a bloke. But the fact she was a woman meant again she should have submitted to the opinions of her advisors in this question. Perhaps the most astonishing thing Elizabeth did during her reign was to resist this incredible pressure, at a time when an unmarried, barren woman - let alone a monarch - risked being seen almost as a witch.

Many within the Church - both Catholic and Reformed - lamented their female prince as somehow being a negative judgement from God upon them. Perfectly and totally in line with contemporary society's views on women's abilities.

It was many years before she was trusted by either her own political advisors and the people to actually be the queen in deed, as well as in name. And much of the contemporary society - including English society - at the time in Europe viewed England as a weak and easy target because it was being ruled by a woman.

The Church, till very recently, has always sat very cosily with the prejudicial mores of society in almost every aspect of life, including the aspect of women as second class humans. And even then has been slow, slow, slow to change on that score, even when society has shaken off its ignorance and eventually done the right thing.

So we're not really in any position to complain that the Church is losing its counter-cultural stance in leading the way for a lost and secularized society where the treatment of women are concerned, are we?

Our contemporary society, however, knows that these attitudes were wrong, irrational and born of ignorant prejudice. It's about time, indeed, that the Church recognized its own false perceptions in this particular regard.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
quote:

As usual, Britain is behind the times.

New Zealand had its first woman bishop twenty years ago.

New Zealand gave women the vote in 1893, 25 years before Britain got around to it.

On the other hand, the UK had a woman MP (Lady Astor) in 1919, 14 years before NZ (Elizabeth Reid McCombs).

And it is arguable that Mts McCombs only wom Lyttelton because she followed on from her deceased husband.

The Dio in which I live has a Bishop who is a woman. I'm not sure whether the Anglican church here has provision for alternate arrangements for those who may be unhappy with that.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

The Church, till very recently, has always sat very cosily with the prejudicial mores of society in almost every aspect of life, including the aspect of women as second class humans. And even then has been slow, slow, slow to change on that score, even when society has shaken off its ignorance and eventually done the right thing.

So we're not really in any position to complain that the Church is losing its counter-cultural stance in leading the way for a lost and secularized society where the treatment of women are concerned, are we?

Our contemporary society, however, knows that these attitudes were wrong, irrational and born of ignorant prejudice. It's about time, indeed, that the Church recognized its own false perceptions in this particular regard.

Amen.

The Church is as good as any of us at justifying deep seated prejudices. Jesus found this with the 'church' and society of his time and was truly counter-cultural in speaking up against it.

<edited due to shameful spelling>

[ 13. July 2010, 11:51: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:

Erm. Let me try and stay within the realms of Purgatory.

daisymay, would you like to rephrase that in any way?

Thurible

Sorry, Thurible, I thought it might be OK to mention emotional/thinking/subconscious/unconscious habits and expressions that not everyone agrees with.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was objecting rather more to your statement that those opposed have been taught spiritually wrongly and that it is all to do with some sort of inate prejudice rather than anything to do with theological processes and spiritual discernment.

Thurible

--------------------

hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

- Posted      Profile for hereweare   Email hereweare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But Thurible you must know by now that obviously the Holy Spirit wants women priests and bishops, and if 'she' gets in wrong the first time (eg Wales) then the church will jolly well carry on voting until the HS catches up! And as for all those horrid people who think the Bible and 2000 years of tradition says women can't be ordained, are just unthinking bigots. Clearly those living in the 21st C have a far better understanding of what Jesus meant, does not our society show how we are in touch with the real teachings of Jesus.

--------------------
Come home to Rome this Christmas!

Posts: 206 | From: here | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's a very fair question to ask, of course. But it depends which society, secular or otherwise, you're referring to. When the Church didn't permit women to be priests back in the, let's say, 17th, 18th and 19th century, they were perfectly in line with both the religious and civic mores of contemporary society. Positively colluding with it.

Surely you've just made Yervan's point for him/her? "Being in step with society" isn't a guarantee of rightness, as the 17th-19th centuries' treatment of women prove.

Of course if someone had argued "The church must be wrong if it's not counter-cultural" then that would also be false, but no-one has said that.

[ 13. July 2010, 15:07: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is so embarassing about this women's rights issue is the backwardness of the church. We whould be the leaders, the frontrunners. A light to the world. We shouldn't be scrambing to catch up, decades too late. We were a light to the world in many issues such as anti-slavery. It is terrible that we should be in the position of having to come into line with secular society. We should have instituted the equality of women before secular society and encouraged them to come into line with us.

Of course Methodism had women preachers of equal status with men in the 18th century. However, this was discouraged and disallowed in the nineteenth. The Methodists brought them back in the twentieth century and have certainly managed to claw back the moral high ground on this issue since then. But they are a small church compared to the Anglicans and it is such a shame that they were the only ones to be a light to the world on this issue.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leaving aside for a moment the question of why ordination and consecration should be restricted to men, has anyone else been troubled by Messrs Sugden and Giddings' comments on 'the problem of mono-episcopacy' in the Anglican Mainstream statement?

The shattering of the ancient principle of one ordinary for one diocese (the cracks have been spreading since the Act of Synod, since Charles Raven's little tantrum at St John's Kidderminster, since the powers that be decided to tread softly in the matter of border-crossings by African bishops in TEC) is going to cause immeasurable damage to the Church of England, as it already has to the Anglican Communion.

Choose your bishop! No need to be in communion with anyone you dislike or disagree with! If you live in Chichester---never mind! Demand a bishop who ordains women! If you live in Southwark, follow the folks in Morden and have your confirmations done by a guaranteed homophobe. If you live in Peterborough, don't wait to see if your new bishop revises his views on 'Jerusalem'. Call in a bishop who loves William Blake. And if you're starting to get angry with the Archbishop of Canterbury...never mind! There's a world of primates out there. One of them is bound to conform to your prejudices.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't followed the minutiae of this debate so could someone tell me what happens to PEVs in this brave new world? Are they swept aside?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Surely you've just made Yervan's point for him/her? "Being in step with society" isn't a guarantee of rightness, as the 17th-19th centuries' treatment of women prove.

Of course if someone had argued "The church must be wrong if it's not counter-cultural" then that would also be false, but no-one has said that.

No I haven't made his point for him. I'm demonstrating that the point he's making is specious and relative to the times.

Society and the Church were both wrong when they agreed and colluded to maintain the second class status of women. Society has not done a bad thing in seeing their error and permitting women to become doctors, scholars, lawyers etc; so his point that in permitting women to be ordained/consecrated the church is somehow compromising with evil society in society's attitudes towards women nowadays is rather a shaky argument.

As I said before there would have been no complaints in the church's collusion with society in older times; so it's hardly consistent to get areated that the church has - finally and reluctantly - agreed with society in this attitude. There are times for the church to be counter-cultural and sit apart from secularism and society.

There are times to recognize the face of Christ within and through societal reforms and attitudes.

The point that the church is doing wrong in following the example of society when society rightly and justly permits equality to women is entirely his own point. And rather a strange one, I thought.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugbyplayingpriest
Shipmate
# 9809

- Posted      Profile for rugbyplayingpriest   Author's homepage   Email rugbyplayingpriest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PEVS swept aside, no more resolutions, trads left at mercy of code of practice which bishops may or may not adopt. to rub salt into wounds these bishops also choose which functions any visiting bishop can excercise and what conditions to attach. To make it even worse there is no guarantee that these bishops were themselves ordained by men. So no apostolic succession just a sexist way to avoid a woman

And then they said no compensation. So I find myself offered hospice care, no future and no money with a young family and 30 yrs service left in the tank.

Gee thanks heartless Synod

Posts: 130 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't understand why PEVs can't remain in post? I see the argument that the women bishops became inevitable when the first woman priest was ordained but this seems (as I understand it) to be a step backwards.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Bishop of Ebbsfleet's Pastoral Letter seems to imply that he thinks the whole thing is over. No more flying bishops, no more bishop of Ebbsfleet, no more Resolutions ABC, the separated parishes now move back under the ordinary Dicocesan and that is that, if you don't like it, you have to get out of the Church of Enlgand.

Does he have any justification for that view?

I can't see any but maybe he is privy to Secret Plots that the rest of us are ignorant of.

Presumably when someone gets round to writing a Code of Practice (& it might easily be 2013 or 2014 before that happens) they can, if they want, keep the PEVs and assorted Scheme Suffragans in it. So the battleground for the next Synod moves there.

quote:
Originally posted by ianjmatt:
I don't think it is as simple as 'one-all'. There will be some anglo-catholics who will be happy for a Jeffrey John, but not women bishops, some evos who will be happy for women bishops but not a gay bishop, some not happy with either, some trying to work it all out and some happy with both. To create a narrative of modernisers against traditionalists is not helpful.

Exactly right. As I've gone on about at great lenght too often before, all four possible positions are occupied in the CofE - there are pro-gay anti-women priests, pro-gay pro-women, anti-gay anti-women, and anti-gay pro-women. As well as many who are neutral or indifferent on one or the other question. This is NOT a spectrum from "moderniser to "traditionalist" and none of those positions is neccessarily associated with political liberaluism or conservativism.

[ 13. July 2010, 18:10: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If +Ebbsfleet really believed his own pastoral letter he would have resigned his post and gone to see the Cardinal to talk about his reception into the Roman Catholic Church.

But apparently he is going to make us read another one in September first.

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
If +Ebbsfleet really believed his own pastoral letter he would have resigned his post and gone to see the Cardinal to talk about his reception into the Roman Catholic Church.

But apparently he is going to make us read another one in September first.

[Overused] I saw that earlier today! Haven't been near his website for some months (can't stand his smug face), but thought I'd take a look. If I had to pick a PEV, it would be +Richborough.

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The point that the church is doing wrong in following the example of society when society rightly and justly permits equality to women is entirely his own point. And rather a strange one, I thought.

Where does he make that point? He calls himself "very pro-OOW".

AIUI, all he's saying is that following society doesn't in itself make the Church's actions correct, and therefore "the Church needs to catch up with society" isn't in itself a clinching argument.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
tallmaninthecnr
Shipmate
# 15429

- Posted      Profile for tallmaninthecnr         Edit/delete post 
I am not meaning to be trite but where is Jesus in all this arguing, all this tradition? Without Him there is no church (big C or little c), no need to sit in pews, no need for the liturgy or the Eucharist, no need for anything . . . Is Jesus going to walk away from 'humble and contrite hearts' due to the sex or the sexual orientation of the person up the front who is preaching the Gospel, and if He is not going to then what right do we have.

Are these arguments about who is competent to bring the message of the Gospel to the world or about political point scoring and protecting of backyards.

I am sure there are some very sincere people debating the rights and wrongs, but from someone who is ignorant of all the theological supporting arguments it just does not seem right.

Posts: 197 | From: Auckland, NZ | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by Loveheart:
(can't stand his smug face),

He hasn't looked like The Official Photo for nearly a decade!

There are various words I'd use to describe him (the vast majority positive) but 'smug' isn't one.

Thurible

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tallmaninthecnr:
I am not meaning to be trite but where is Jesus in all this arguing, all this tradition?

On your side, apparently.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No I haven't made his point for him. I'm demonstrating that the point he's making is specious and relative to the times.

Society and the Church were both wrong when they agreed and colluded to maintain the second class status of women. Society has not done a bad thing in seeing their error and permitting women to become doctors, scholars, lawyers etc; so his point that in permitting women to be ordained/consecrated the church is somehow compromising with evil society in society's attitudes towards women nowadays is rather a shaky argument.

As I said before there would have been no complaints in the church's collusion with society in older times; so it's hardly consistent to get areated that the church has - finally and reluctantly - agreed with society in this attitude. There are times for the church to be counter-cultural and sit apart from secularism and society.

There are times to recognize the face of Christ within and through societal reforms and attitudes.

Pauses...asks the Good Lord for patience...continues.

Firstly, I'm a woman (its revealing that you assumed otherwise). Secondly, I'm pro-OOW, to the point where I wouldn't belong to a church that was otherwise. Thirdly, you have made my point for me quite nicely (thank you). And no I don't think "the church is doing wrong in following the example of society when society rightly and justly permits equality to women". You are reading something into my post that isn't there. I'm simply saying that a particular (popular) argument in favour of OOW is crap. There are lots of good arguments, so why waste our breathe on a bad one?

[ 14. July 2010, 10:33: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tallmaninthecnr:

Are these arguments about who is competent to bring the message of the Gospel to the world or about political point scoring and protecting of backyards.

I am sure there are some very sincere people debating the rights and wrongs, but from someone who is ignorant of all the theological supporting arguments it just does not seem right.

Too right. Although there are strong views on both sides of the argument, I think that the majority of the people in the pews really aren't that bothered one way or the other and I suspect that many of them are totally bemused by the whole thing.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016